shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Practice Caution When Communicating on Price Scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear PS''ers...

Due to a recent incident I just read about Gypsy''s bad experience..., I thought it would be wise and important to start a thread on this important issue!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-got-home-we-were-robbed.99835/

I want to take this opportunity to remind all PS''ers of the fact that this is an world wide open forum!
We chat here on very valuable objects and subjects..., Diamond and other gemstone Jewelry!!!!!

Please..., you (PS''ers) must remember to keep information to a minimum for your own safety..., we have no knowledge of everyone who read these threads...

We must keep our information confidential and safe from danger!
When PS''ers plan GTG''s..., please do it in a wise fashion..., keep exact meeting points off these boards!

I am not attempting to panic anyone (not my intentions
1.gif
)..., but I have been in this industry for many years and am used to keeping a low profile!
Please think ahead before writing sensitive personal information on these boards...

Lets all try keeping PS a safe place to communicate...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a great reminder, thank you.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 4:28:44 PM
Author: Skippy123
That is a great reminder, thank you.

Ditto!

Thanks!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 4:25:15 PM
Author:DiaGem

Dear PS''ers...

Due to a recent incident I just read about Gypsy''s bad experience..., I thought it would be wise and important to start a thread on this important issue!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-got-home-we-were-robbed.99835/

I want to take this opportunity to remind all PS''ers of the fact that this is an world wide open forum!
We chat here on very valuable objects and subjects..., Diamond and other gemstone Jewelry!!!!!

Please..., you (PS''ers) must remember to keep information to a minimum for your own safety..., we have no knowledge of everyone who read these threads...

When PS''ers plan GTG''s..., please do it in a wise fashion..., keep exact meeting points off these boards!

1.gif
)..., but I have been in this industry for many years and am used to keeping a low profile!
Please think ahead before writing sensitive personal information on these boards...

Well said.

But how can we plan GTG''s without posting here?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 6:31:18 PM
Author: bebe

Dear PS''ers...

1.gif

Well said.

You can''t, since you are not supposed to post personal info (like emails) to get the word out. Honestly, I have always wondered if GTGs are a great idea...as much as our lovely PSers enjoy them, I always breathe a sigh of relief when they wrap up without incident.

Wait, so you DON''T want my social security number, phone number and address??

Just kidding. This is a great reminder. Many times people can forget that there are SO many lurkers-- I was one! I researched diamonds like crazy.

Thank you
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem,

This is something that has also concerned me for a while that especially now Pricescope has grown so much - you never know who might be reading and their intentions. It completely agree with DiaGem, please lets all work together to be careful to keep any personal info to a minimum in all posts - it doesn't take much for someone with bad intentions to piece things together if they wish if a poster mentions one thing here and another there...I know it is easy to feel we are all so safe chatting away here and we have got to know each other so well, but you just never know and above all it is so important to remember that it is best to keep any private info off these boards. Even with simple things, if you aren't sure if it could compromise your own security or that of another poster - don't post it. Sometimes what you think might be the most harmless info can be extremely useful to a person with malicious intentions.

I love my PS family and I am absolutely horrified about what happened to Gypsy. So lets all practise extra caution from now onwards and look out for each other when posting!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 2:54:10 AM
Author: Lorelei
DiaGem,

This is something that has also concerned me for a while that especially now Pricescope has grown so much - you never know who might be reading and their intentions. It completely agree with DiaGem, please lets all work together to be careful to keep any personal info to a minimum in all posts - it doesn''t take much for someone with bad intentions to piece things together if they wish if a poster mentions one thing here and another there...I know it is easy to feel we are all so safe chatting away here and we have got to know each other so well, but you just never know and above all it is so important to remember that it is best to keep any private info off these boards. Even with simple things, if you aren''t sure if it could compromise your own security or that of another poster - don''t post it. Sometimes what you think might be the most harmless info can be extremely useful to a person with malicious intentions.

I love my PS family and I am absolutely horrified about what happened to Gypsy. So lets all practise extra caution from now onwards and look out for each other when posting!
Ditto everything from DG and Lorelei.
I know how easy it is to become complacent, as when I started posting here I would''ve never imagined sharing personal info.
Now that I have felt more comfortable and like I have "gotten to know" the regulars, I know I have been guilty of divulging some tidbits.

This is a timely reminder, a crying shame it had to come out of gypsy''s misfortune, but hopefully we will all be more vigilant in the future - ya just never know
7.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2008 5:47:18 AM
Author: arjunajane

DiaGem,

This is something that has also concerned me for a while that especially now Pricescope has grown so much - you never know who might be reading and their intentions. It completely agree with DiaGem, please lets all work together to be careful to keep any personal info to a minimum in all posts - it doesn't take much for someone with bad intentions to piece things together if they wish if a poster mentions one thing here and another there...I know it is easy to feel we are all so safe chatting away here and we have got to know each other so well, but you just never know and above all it is so important to remember that it is best to keep any private info off these boards. Even with simple things, if you aren't sure if it could compromise your own security or that of another poster - don't post it. Sometimes what you think might be the most harmless info can be extremely useful to a person with malicious intentions.

Ditto everything from DG and Lorelei.
I know how easy it is to become complacent, as when I started posting here I would've never imagined sharing personal info.
Now that I have felt more comfortable and like I have 'gotten to know' the regulars, I know I have been guilty of divulging some tidbits.

This is a timely reminder, a crying shame it had to come out of gypsy's misfortune, but hopefully we will all be more vigilant in the future - ya just never know
7.gif
And it is so easily done AJ, I am sure I have also. You don't know who is out there, but for example say if there is 2500 people online, it is entirely possible that not everyone reading wants to learn about diamond angles....

So how can we protect each other and ourselves? IMO lets try to keep as much personal info off the forums as we can. Maybe some of you might think this is going too far but many of us know from personal experience that the world we live in is changing and that with the growth of technology that information about ourselves is getting easier for those who have bad intentions to obtain - and we don't want to be leaving them little clues. It may not be as much fun if we don't share as much on the forums but I would ask everyone to at least consider being a little more cautious in the future - and that of course includes myself!

I totally agree that this is a very timely reminder. I know we all do feel so comfortable here which is a wonderful thing, but we need to remember that anyone can read what we write so it might be best to bear that in mind when posting.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiaGem,

This is something that has also concerned me for a while that especially now Pricescope has grown so much - you never know who might be reading and their intentions. It completely agree with DiaGem, please lets all work together to be careful to keep any personal info to a minimum in all posts - it doesn''t take much for someone with bad intentions to piece things together if they wish if a poster mentions one thing here and another there...I know it is easy to feel we are all so safe chatting away here and we have got to know each other so well, but you just never know and above all it is so important to remember that it is best to keep any private info off these boards. Even with simple things, if you aren''t sure if it could compromise your own security or that of another poster - don''t post it. Sometimes what you think might be the most harmless info can be extremely useful to a person with malicious intentions.

I feel like I am one who has shared a lot about myself. Not only that but I have also posted a lot of photos, not only of myself but also my family. I will stop doing that.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2008 8:05:44 AM
Author: Maisie

DiaGem,

I feel like I am one who has shared a lot about myself. Not only that but I have also posted a lot of photos, not only of myself but also my family. I will stop doing that.
Bruddah, if you are concerned then just speak to admin sweetheart! I don't want to scare anyone and I know that is not DiaGem's intention either, it is just good to just bear this stuff in mind and in view of what has just happened to Gypsy - although it could have been totally unrelated of course - but in this day and age it pays to be cautious.

Brud, I wanted to send you special hugs also ((((())))))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 8:20:19 AM

DiaGem,

Bruddah, if you are concerned then just speak to admin sweetheart! I don''t want to scare anyone and I know that is not DiaGem''s intention either, it is just good to just bear this stuff in mind and in view of what has just happened to Gypsy - although it could have been totally unrelated of course - but in this day and age it pays to be cautious.

Thank you Bruddah. I will email Admin now.

Thanks for the hug ((((()))))

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2008 8:27:46 AM

Date: 11/14/2008 8:20:19 AM

DiaGem,

Bruddah, if you are concerned then just speak to admin sweetheart! I don''t want to scare anyone and I know that is not DiaGem''s intention either, it is just good to just bear this stuff in mind and in view of what has just happened to Gypsy - although it could have been totally unrelated of course - but in this day and age it pays to be cautious.

Thank you Bruddah. I will email Admin now.

Thanks for the hug ((((()))))
Welcome Bruddah! Don''t you worry!!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 6:31:18 PM
Author: bebe

Dear PS''ers...

1.gif

Well said.

Like Bebe says "how can people communicate more "privately/securely", without a private message/email option available to us??

I was thinking more about this topic this morning. It may seem like you haven''t shared a lot with the community- but when all the posts add up, over several years or months, I''m SURE that some people have given more information than they would all together. Maybe trying to search your own posts to see what you can find out about you posted yourself. I mean, how many people talk about the state and city they live in? And then talk about their kids, schools they''ve gone to and such? If a criminal really put things together.. and had motivation (huge gorgeous diamonds) well... yeah.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 9:03:48 AM
Author: swedish bean
I was thinking more about this topic this morning. It may seem like you haven't shared a lot with the community- but when all the posts add up, over several years or months, I'm SURE that some people have given more information than they would all together. Maybe trying to search your own posts to see what you can find out about you posted yourself. I mean, how many people talk about the state and city they live in? And then talk about their kids, schools they've gone to and such? If a criminal really put things together.. and had motivation (huge gorgeous diamonds) well... yeah.
I must admit, this was my first thought when I read of Gypsy's robbery but I didn't post as she said that the items stolen were not yet posted online (if I remember correctly). That said I am constantly concerned that I will over expose myself online - even with all my clothes on
31.gif

I have four suggestions; 1. Remove the search posts by poster function. Maybe you could search your own posts only.
2. 'Hide' indirect searches of pricescope from the search engines. Like if I put in Gypsy ~+ robbery I wouldn't want Pricescope to pop up on google.
3. This is extreme - remove opportunistic crime by allowing members only viewing - if you want to lurk, register first.
4. Have a function like remember me which auto logs in registered members, to remove lurking.

eta: Stupid computer crashed, edited for spelling.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I really think a private message option would be a very good thing. Most forums have these, and I understand that this is meant to be an anonymous forum, but some of the folks on here form lasting bonds, and it would be nice to be able to communicate back and forth with private matters without having to worry about others viewing it.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the heads up!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am all for PM''s but I wonder how much safer they will make things? Surely any one of us coud be here for less moral reasons. I dunno. Sometimes I would have loved to PM a particular member when I was ordering and had a burning question but apart from than what purpose do they serve?

How about a private section of the site like the marketplace in the purse forum, you have to be invited in/approved by the admin? Not for GTG info, just to discuss (still safely) more personal issues, like DH complaints, child concerns, health problems, show me the bling.. I don''t know...

Then there are lots of older members who just lurk and have way under 1000 posts, how would you judge who are the ''safer'' members, by posting lots and lots , by time? What?

What I am waffling on here for, is because I am very fond of this forum and it makes me more than very sad that people would use to the take advantage of people I hope to consider as more than acquaintances, as silly as that it...
15.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Good thinking! Thanks for the reminder!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Extremely wise advice!

I was just thinking about that the other day....

scary, huh?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
It is a sad but realistic reminder. I think it''s easy to get comfortable here because of all the friendly faces we chat with regularly, but we forget about the hundreds or maybe thousands of people who pop in, maybe without even registering, to gather information from this site who we don''t know and can''t trust. It is unfortunate that we need to assume the worst, but I suppose that is how things have to be.

Maisie, I''m so sorry you feel like you have shared too much information that may endanger you or your family. I know I''ve asked you many personal questions about your son in hopes of trying to help, so I want to apologize in case my doing so has put you in an uncomfortable position now. I hope you know I only want good things for you and your beautiful family.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
DiaGem,

Ditto!

And thank you for the reminder DiaGem. What happened to Gypsy was horrible, and I think everyone will benefit from being extra careful. Appreciate this post!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
ETA: Referring back to Lorelei's suggestion:
I already e-mailed admin to do something for me, and Andrey e-mailed me back and made the change immediately!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 3:17:02 PM
Author: BeeCushion
ETA: Referring back to Lorelei's suggestion:
I already e-mailed admin to do something for me, and Andrey e-mailed me back and made the change immediately!
I agree; I think it is fun posting the colors of cars, pictures, personal stuff in our Who's Who but then forget who is reading. I agree, our Admin/Mod look out for us if we need something removed, etc. they rock.

Also, as a side note; my cousin is a police officer and he says house are hit during the holidays. During this time of year we tend to make big purchases, and go to holiday parties so no one is home and it makes it easy for break ins. Take extra precaution to turn on your alarm when you leave or be cautious walking to your cars at night etc.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi Diagem,

Thank you for a good reminder for everyone. It is one of the main reasons for the no personal info policy.

I am currently looking into the Pricescope Cafe section as a member only area.

I also want to thank everyone for there suggestions. Feel free to use this thread for other suggestions regarding this manner.

You can also send me an email via the Msg Admin button.

Thank you,

Andrey

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 2:24:35 PM
Author: gwendolyn
It is a sad but realistic reminder. I think it''s easy to get comfortable here because of all the friendly faces we chat with regularly, but we forget about the hundreds or maybe thousands of people who pop in, maybe without even registering, to gather information from this site who we don''t know and can''t trust. It is unfortunate that we need to assume the worst, but I suppose that is how things have to be.

Maisie, I''m so sorry you feel like you have shared too much information that may endanger you or your family. I know I''ve asked you many personal questions about your son in hopes of trying to help, so I want to apologize in case my doing so has put you in an uncomfortable position now. I hope you know I only want good things for you and your beautiful family.
Auntie Gwen! Please don''t worry about asking me about James or the family. ((((Hugs))))

I have asked Andrey to remove photos I posted which has been done straight away. Thanks Andrey!

As for talking about James and his special needs, I am still hoping to be able to do that.... The support I have had here has been invaluable. I appreciate it so much.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great reminder! I know that I''ve probably divulged a lot of info too.

Thanks for looking into that Andrey!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reminder, I actually did think about this when I read Gypsy post, everything is so public..a private area for members only would help, but all anyone would have to do is become a member then they would still have access to that information...just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results