shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Practice Caution When Communicating on Price Scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/14/2008 3:28:40 PM
Author: PS Admin
Hi Diagem,

Thank you for a good reminder for everyone. It is one of the main reasons for the no personal info policy.

I am currently looking into the Pricescope Cafe section as a member only area.

I also want to thank everyone for there suggestions. Feel free to use this thread for other suggestions regarding this manner.

You can also send me an email via the Msg Admin button.

Thank you,

Andrey
I am sorry if I caused certain of you to panic...
Again..., not my intentions...
17.gif

Since this forum is open to almost all who wish to engage in communication..., we who communicate are usually acting cautiously in a natural way..., as most of us are still strangers to each other (even if we know each other by handle)...

But we do need to install a caution light in one of the corners of our minds that will flash whenever we are becoming to open on the forum...

No need to dissect this issue..., it will beat the point....
11.gif

In my years on PS..., I never noticed PS''ers loosely or unwisely volunteering sensitive personal info..., this topic has arisen because of an incident that probably has nothing to do with PS...

We just need to re-think (twice) prior to writing and submitting certain info.

We are all grown ups..., I am confident we will be able to adapt!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
great post. i think we get more comfortable than we really should be. its just that we are friends and family in a way. there for each other through engagements, marriages, children, etc. and also bad times like the robbery. we forget that not all the people seeing these posts are one of us. thank you for this post.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I think making the cafe a members only forum would be good. Also, as far as GTG''s go, is there a way that we could let admin know if it''s okay to share our emails for the GTG''s or something? It may create a lot more work for admin, though.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reminder. I would love to see the cafe be for members only. I think that would be a good start.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that there should be a way to share e-mail addresses or other online contact information with individuals of your choice. Your chances of being scammed by a few people on PS are less than if you have to publicly post locations or information on PS that can be read by anyone on the internet. There is a risk with anything, but risks must be carefully analyzed, and the best option should be chosen.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also like the idea of making the Cafe members only...and maybe members who have been members for a month or something? I don''t know if that''s necessary but on other forums you can only PM after a certain amount of time, or enter certain sections after you have a certain number of posts, etc. It deters scammers/spammers.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I agree that there should be a "safety zone" for everyday PS members.

I''d hate to see the dynamic of PS change...because there are many of us who are genuinely great people--and we build relationships by assisting each other, as someone pointed out above, with pre-engagement anxiety, engagement mayhem, marriage, children, and the *hard* parts of life too.

I hope the mod''s take our requests to heart...

elle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reminder Diagem. It''s especially needed this time of the year and in this current economic situation.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I also really like the idea of making hangout members only - I think this will go a long way to attending to this issue.

I also like the idea that every person needs an account in order to read here - even if they never want to post. I'm not sure if that is considered extreme, as I'm not that "up" on how forums work - but at least then if someone was targeted admin could research those that focussed on them, yanno?
I don't see the big deal in just creating a username and logging in if you want the privilege of lurking here..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what the answer is, but here are some suggestion....

It would be great to have a more ' private' area but then how do you determine which members should be able to use it and who doesn't...Even with Ideal Rocks we have new members that we don't know very well, as they now get this automatically once they hit 500 posts, and that doesn't always take long....Maybe it could be partially based on good conduct on Pricescope over a certain period of time as to who gets access to the private areas and maybe exisiting veteran members who are enrolled in this could also vote along with admin to approve a certain member application or not, so that admittance isn't automatic, and that way we have some input as to who gets the privilege or not? Especially as with newer members we don't know if their intentions are always good or not, as any troublemaker or person with bad intentions can sign up under a nom de plume and post to get the membership and access to these areas, doesn't take much time or trouble. So I would think vet the members might be the way to go and err on the side of caution that a member has to ' prove' themselves as far as is possible online before being given access to privileged areas.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMHO, all of these potential policies just seem too complicated and too much work for the lone two people who moderate this site. As much as there are lovely people on here and they want to GTG, it's not PS's first and foremost purpose, so why bog down the admins by getting them to assist with this? My suggestion would be:

1) Post what you are comfortable with, and post it at your own risk.
2) PS has evolved to what it is for good reason, and that means no PMs. Maybe you all could create accounts with your PS user names on facebook, myspace, etc. (although I'm no expert on how all of that works) Not being flippant here, but obviously there have been ways that people have found one another outside of PS.
3) Post at your own risk. (Did I say that already?)
1.gif

A members area would be nice, but at the end of the day, it doesn't solve the issue that a nutjob could be reading your posts.

My personal advice...even longtime posters who you think you *know* could be a few fries short of a happy meal. You haven't MET these people, period. People can be very good at putting up fronts for long periods of time, or only showing the nice aspect of their personality. Yes, I think PSers are really a nice bunch and probably 99% of us are as we appear. But having experienced firsthand myself how you really don't know people you haven't met (and this was on a private message board with women I chatted with for 3 years), stick to sharing your really personal stuff with REAL personal friends.

My two cents.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 3:39:38 AM
Author: TravelingGal
IMHO, all of these potential policies just seem too complicated and too much work for the lone two people who moderate this site. As much as there are lovely people on here and they want to GTG, it''s not PS''s first and foremost purpose, so why bog down the admins by getting them to assist with this? My suggestion would be:

2) PS has evolved to what it is for good reason, and that means no PMs. Maybe you all could create accounts with your PS user names on facebook, myspace, etc. (although I''m no expert on how all of that works) Not being flippant here, but obviously there have been ways that people have found one another outside of PS.
1.gif

A members area would be nice, but at the end of the day, it doesn''t solve the issue that a nutjob could be reading your posts.

My personal advice...even longtime posters who you think you *know* could be a few fries short of a happy meal. You haven''t MET these people, period. People can be very good at putting up fronts for long periods of time, or only showing the nice aspect of their personality. Yes, I think PSers are really a nice bunch and probably 99% of us are as we appear. But having experienced firsthand myself how you really don''t know people you haven''t met (and this was on a private message board with women I chatted with for 3 years), stick to sharing your really personal stuff with REAL personal friends.

My two cents.
And that is probably the best advice of all.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I have an idea...

what if only certain forums such as "Rocky Talky" and "Colored Stones" were public? That way lurkers can still get the diamond education and help they need. Most personal posts tend to be in the "Bride" and "Family" sections so maybe forums like that could all be made private?

Also, I think a good idea for any Get Togethers is that all members attending must have a current photo of themselves either posted in a private area or sent through the admin to the other members who are attending. Someone could very easily lurk and read the gtg info... and then show up and say "I''m Oobiecoo and decided last minute to meet up with you guys!" when really they aren''t that person at all.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are common sense precautions that people can take.

1: keep personal information to a min.
2: keep location info off the board other than a very general info and watch out for pictures that display it.
3: meet in very public places and at a gtg keep it public.
4: if you post pictures keep them general in nature.

With just a few basic precautions the fun can be kept safe.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 5:27:23 AM
Author: strmrdr
There are common sense precautions that people can take.

1: keep personal information to a min.
2: keep location info off the board other than a very general info and watch out for pictures that display it.
3: meet in very public places and at a gtg keep it public.
4: if you post pictures keep them general in nature.

With just a few basic precautions the fun can be kept safe.
Great advice also.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, all of these potential policies just seem too complicated and too much work for the lone two people who moderate this site. As much as there are lovely people on here and they want to GTG, it''s not PS''s first and foremost purpose, so why bog down the admins by getting them to assist with this? My suggestion would be:

2) PS has evolved to what it is for good reason, and that means no PMs. Maybe you all could create accounts with your PS user names on facebook, myspace, etc. (although I''m no expert on how all of that works) Not being flippant here, but obviously there have been ways that people have found one another outside of PS.
1.gif

A members area would be nice, but at the end of the day, it doesn''t solve the issue that a nutjob could be reading your posts.

My personal advice...even longtime posters who you think you *know* could be a few fries short of a happy meal. You haven''t MET these people, period. People can be very good at putting up fronts for long periods of time, or only showing the nice aspect of their personality. Yes, I think PSers are really a nice bunch and probably 99% of us are as we appear. But having experienced firsthand myself how you really don''t know people you haven''t met (and this was on a private message board with women I chatted with for 3 years), stick to sharing your really personal stuff with REAL personal friends.

My two cents.
I agree with TGal on policies like that being too much work and they don''t really solve the problem.

I''m really curious...what is it that happened to you with those women?

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
My personal advice...even longtime posters who you think you *know* could be a few fries short of a happy meal.
And maybe we already know that about them.
31.gif

JK, good advice TGal.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Admin might be able to come up with a solution to provide a members only forum in the Cafe or suchlike, I have seen this done elsewhere and maybe it might be workable here sometime in the future.

But the main thing is to take precautions and remember to keep personal info to a minimum on the forums.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been a member here for 5.5 years and haven't posted a picture of myself that entire time and I do not think it's wise to AT ALL! I'm still surprised people take such risks. My kids' photos were posted a few years back and then I had them removed. Maybe I'm paranoid, but even posting photos of my cats leaves me thinking someone may recognize me. Luckily the kitty in my avatar is a common kitty coloring so he is not so obvious.
2.gif

I'm appauled to say this, but due to a few posts and the lack of thought on one person's part, I do know the first and last name of that person/member and which city she lives in because she posted her wedding invitations w/out blanking out her name. Huh? Think, people!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/15/2008 1:33:07 PM
Author: MC
I''ve been a member here for 5.5 years and haven''t posted a picture of myself that entire time and I do not think it''s wise to AT ALL! I''m still surprised people take such risks. My kids'' photos were posted a few years back and then I had them removed. Maybe I''m paranoid, but even posting photos of my cats leaves me thinking someone may recognize me. Luckily the kitty in my avatar is a common kitty coloring so he is not so obvious.
2.gif

I''m appauled to say this, but due to a few posts and the lack of thought on one person''s part, I do know the first and last name of that person/member and which city she lives in because she posted her wedding invitations w/out blanking out her name. Huh? Think, people!
Great example MC...

Like we learned on PS that Diamond education is important for those who wish to learn and teach...

I believe educating PS''ers on what not to do by showing (anonymously) unsafe past practices..., could bring positive results!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 1:33:07 PM
Author: MC
I''m appauled to say this, but due to a few posts and the lack of thought on one person''s part, I do know the first and last name of that person/member and which city she lives in because she posted her wedding invitations w/out blanking out her name. Huh? Think, people!
Hit the report post button asap if you see that in the future.
if it was posted in the last 20 min also leave a message in the thread saying hey delete that!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 4:51:08 AM
Author: oobiecoo

Also, I think a good idea for any Get Togethers is that all members attending must have a current photo of themselves either posted in a private area or sent through the admin to the other members who are attending. Someone could very easily lurk and read the gtg info... and then show up and say ''I''m Oobiecoo and decided last minute to meet up with you guys!'' when really they aren''t that person at all.

Or it just lets people know who to look for if they want to lurk in the parking lot and steal your jewelry before you get to a meeting point.

We''re all putting ourselves at risk. We just are. Each of us has to decide how much risk we''re comfortable with, and stay within that limit.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reminder. I am sure someone could hunt me down if they really wanted to based on things I''ve posted here. Luckily risking going to prision for a few things all under 1 ct. isn''t likely.
1.gif
Seriously though, it''s good to remember although we feel close and friendly with many people here we don''t know who is lurking and reading what we say.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
That''s why I said it should be posted PRIVATELY. So crazy lurkers can''t get ahold of it and stalk you.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 9:55:39 PM
That's why I said it should be posted PRIVATELY. So crazy lurkers can't get ahold of it and stalk you.
I understand your sentiment about having *private* forums and having a freedom to post certain information there, but I go back to what TG said: it's not just the "lurkers" that you need to be wary of (in some cases). So posting personal information even in a supposedly private forum is still not 100% safe. Personally I like the openness of PS, and I think that creating private forums kind of creates a "club" like mentality that isn't really beneficial to keeping that open feeling that we have here. I have seen that happen at other forums and it's not a good thing.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Today I was walking around the Target, wearing my diamond earrings, and wedding set and pushing a cart that contained my designer handbag...and I suddenly thought "yes, someone could go to work of hunting me down thru PS...and break into my home to steal my things..." or one of these people could look at me and the things I have with me right now, and they could simply approach me in the parking lot and take everything by force.

I''m certainly not one for taking unrational risks...thats silly--like, I''d never flat out put the name of company out there, or my address, or my SS number, or pass code to my house...and I do believe PS would be well served by a private section (club-like, or not)...but, life is full of "what ifs" and sometimes we just need to realize that living in fear is almost as dangerous as living totally carelessly.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 1:08:58 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Today I was walking around the Target, wearing my diamond earrings, and wedding set and pushing a cart that contained my designer handbag...and I suddenly thought ''yes, someone could go to work of hunting me down thru PS...and break into my home to steal my things...'' or one of these people could look at me and the things I have with me right now, and they could simply approach me in the parking lot and take everything by force.

I''m certainly not one for taking unrational risks...thats silly--like, I''d never flat out put the name of company out there, or my address, or my SS number, or pass code to my house...and I do believe PS would be well served by a private section (club-like, or not)...but, life is full of ''what ifs'' and sometimes we just need to realize that living in fear is almost as dangerous as living totally carelessly.
Great point too. You are right, as much as "cyberspace" is creating a new dimension to crime, I imagine it is still alot more likely people are randomly targeted etc.

All good points here, I agree that caution is just the best policy. And lets keep an eye out for each other. If you see personal info posted and you''re not sure if it was intended etc, like Strm said, use the report concern button.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I''m relatively new to this forum and just getting ready to reveal all, now I''m skeered!

To be serious just for a moment, there''s a couple of points I''d like to add.

Firstly, Gypsy - I feel awful for you. I have not been burgled (touch wood), but my sister has and it was an awful invasion. Thieves got away with all of her jewellery, which had more sentimental value than monetry value, rings from our Grandmother in particular, I pray that you will be able to recover some, if not all of your treasured pieces.

Secondly, in regard to the private message function that many have suggested here, I remember from not so very long ago a discussion on another forum (which I will not talk about) where one of the main assoicated vendors left that forum - under a degree of acrimony as I recall. My memory of the detail is hazy, but I am sure some people worked out that private messages were not actually private to everyone. I don''t know how private messaging works and I''m certainly not about to be disparaging about the wonderful people who run this forum, but I would urge caution in relying on absolute privacy in a "private message"

What I think would be the ideal solution is for us all to join some obscure forum in disguise - I joined one earlier on this year that talked about nothing but growing banana trees (do you know how difficult that was to share with you!). I''m sure international jewel thieves don''t grow bananas!

We then need to make sure Lill the Thrill takes in the James Bond exibition at the Imperial War Museum when she''s in London and fully researches ways in which we can communicate incommunicado as it were.

Well at least I don''t have to worry about posting my picture which will immediately reveal to all you beautiful young lovelies just how old I am - even if I was going to show you all my carrots!

Stay safe everyone.

XX

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 9:55:39 PM
That''s why I said it should be posted PRIVATELY. So crazy lurkers can''t get ahold of it and stalk you.

Sorry, Oobie. I was completely wiped out last night and missed the private part. My fault for not reading carefully.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are many times where I feel like I am too open. I also was a little nervous at our last GTG (princesss glad you took the risk
2.gif
) but like Italia I think LIFE is full of risks. I for one NEVER thought it was a PS member who robbed Gypsy. I figured it was bad luck. Maybe that makes me naive. But I do agree there are members who take it too far (post their full names...I for one *DO* respond and suggest they black it out, post their parents name, where they work, post the hospital they were born in
32.gif
, color, make and model of their car, etc...) I don''t know how anyone can make things 100% safe (besides staying off the net!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results