shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Practice Caution When Communicating on Price Scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I''ve not been here for a while - but this is not really a new discussion.

Dia-gem: Thanks for the reminder to be cautious. However, their is a difference between being cautious and being paranoid. I for one think your advice that we not post our meeting places is not appropriate. It is safe (or as reasonably safe as ever) to set up meeting places in very public places and business hotel lobies. Lots of people do it on lots of forums - and it is a standard business practice.

On the other hand, I would not necessarily post that I was bringing my gemstones and other things.

Concerning the ability to privately contact each other - or the PM system. I remember when we had a PM system on PS - and even though I was not one of the abusers I do remember when it all blew up and was cancled (and I had lots of private emails on possible solutions).

I have also been arround long enough on the web to know that no membership structure - or susposed vetting from an administrator or group of "experts" will prevent someone with malicious intentions from infiltrating the group and getting the private information.

The biggest thing is that we should be cautious on what we post; and it is our own personal responsibility to do so (although others may chime in - or message the Admin if it looks like we accidently stepped out of line).

I would love to have a way to personally contact people about things. I accept that it is in PriceScopes long term best interest that such a method does not really exist anymore (although I will message the Admin on one possible suggestion that was previously heavily considered). I do note that there are some places on the internet where it is possible that some old information does exist. For example, it is likely that the old publically available information was in fact mirrored and copied on some computers in one of several projects that exist to copy all webpages. I may know of another case as well where pricescopers participated in; but the new people will not know of it and I''ll let sleeping dogs be in this case.

One thing we have to understand though. If someone gets your email addresses and personal information - it can very easily be spread to others as well. How far do you want your personal information spread?

As far as Gypsy and her breakin. It was likely professionals and it is unlikely that they targeted her off of Pricescope. While unfortuante and a personal violation - I trust that Gypsy will recover emotionally eventually (a lot of us have gone through some challanges).

There have been several post in the past where I and others have discussed home security (it seems to come up every year or two). Here are the basics for all to follow:

1) A true professional can always get in your house.

2) The standard break in, ramsack the house for jewelry and small valuable items, and get out is typically less than 10 minutes. People are very predictable on where they store things - the thieves do in fact know exactly where to look. Only if they are taking a bigger item do they need more time (and then not much unless they are taking the furnature).

3) You can make things a lot harder by installing breaking resistant windows and doors. These are much more costly than ordinary windows and doors and your local window and door salesman probably does not sell them or even know what they are (One exception: Thermal-gard http://www.thermal-gard.com/tg%20history.htm ). Of course, what is the price of piece of mind? If living in an appartment you probably have no real choices.

4) Anything of real value needs to be in a home safe - that is difficult to move.

5) Security systems rarely provide any measure of security except for amatures - who will look elsewhere. Professionals know that they can get into and out of your house with your jewelry faster than the police can respond. They rarely get caught. The noise is only helpfull in a case where close neighbors are willing to poke their heads out and wonder why the neighbors alarm went off.

I hope all this helps, and all have a great day.

Perry

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great advice, thanks!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/18/2008 7:55:31 PM
Author: perry

Dia-gem: Thanks for the reminder to be cautious. However, their is a difference between being cautious and being paranoid. I for one think your advice that we not post our meeting places is not appropriate. It is safe (or as reasonably safe as ever) to set up meeting places in very public places and business hotel lobies. Lots of people do it on lots of forums - and it is a standard business practice.

On the other hand, I would not necessarily post that I was bringing my gemstones and other things.

Perry
Hi perry, nice to see you back...

Yes..., you should take it (simply) as a reminder...
I fully agree on the difference between cautious and paranoia, but my advice was based on a "sense" we industry members possess naturally due to the nature of our work..., it was by all means not meant to scare or develop paranoia!

BUT, dont underestimate "very" public places or Business hotel Lobbies..., they are an easy target if someone focuses on it (take a look at what happened at the Waldorf Astoria NY just last week!)

Your example of "lots of forums" and "standard business practice" might reflect other industries or subjects..., but when it comes to jewelry and gems..., one does not need to post they are bringing any..., after all what is Price Scope''s main subject???
20.gif

All I was attempting to do is..., bring/refresh awareness to PS''ers and remind them Price Scope is not just any "other forum"...
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 5:28:31 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 11/18/2008 7:55:31 PM
Author: perry

Perry
Hi perry, nice to see you back...

Yes..., you should take it (simply) as a reminder...
I fully agree on the difference between cautious and paranoia, but my advice was based on a ''sense'' we industry members possess naturally due to the nature of our work..., it was by all means not meant to scare or develop paranoia!

BUT, dont underestimate ''very'' public places or Business hotel Lobbies..., they are an easy target if someone focuses on it (take a look at what happened at the Waldorf Astoria NY just last week!)

Your example of ''lots of forums'' and ''standard business practice'' might reflect other industries or subjects..., but when it comes to jewelry and gems..., one does not need to post they are bringing any..., after all what is Price Scope''s main subject???
20.gif

All I was attempting to do is..., bring/refresh awareness to PS''ers and remind them Price Scope is not just any ''other forum''...
1.gif

You are right! Pricescope is the BEST forum!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results