shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Practice Caution When Communicating on Price Scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
Everyone has to be careful on all open forums, not just Pricescope. And I would suggest any GTG''s be in a public place with more than two members attending.

I mentioned this to my policewoman niece and she told me most home robberies are performed by people who know the victims. They know what they are going after. So you have as much to fear from your neighbors as you do strangers. Like Tacori said, life is full of risks.

I do wonder how many people who lurk on these boards "steal" diamonds other posters are looking at and considering buying. When links are posted on RockyTalk I always say a quick prayer that no one buys them out from under the op.

Also, IMHO, there is way too much info shared about personal wedding details on BWW forum. I''m afraid stalkers will figure out the venues in large cities.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2008 12:28:52 PM
Author: MMMD
Everyone has to be careful on all open forums, not just Pricescope. And I would suggest any GTG''s be in a public place with more than two members attending.

I mentioned this to my policewoman niece and she told me most home robberies are performed by people who know the victims. They know what they are going after. So you have as much to fear from your neighbors as you do strangers. Like Tacori said, life is full of risks.

I do wonder how many people who lurk on these boards ''steal'' diamonds other posters are looking at and considering buying. When links are posted on RockyTalk I always say a quick prayer that no one buys them out from under the op.

Also, IMHO, there is way too much info shared about personal wedding details on BWW forum. I''m afraid stalkers will figure out the venues in large cities.
And I just wanted to add to that with the Holiday season coming up for anyone thinking about a particular diamond, reserve it before posting the details in Rocky Talk to avoid disappointment if you are seriously thinking about purchasing it.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 3:41:58 PM
Author: Maisie
Date: 11/14/2008 2:24:35 PM

Author: gwendolyn

It is a sad but realistic reminder. I think it''s easy to get comfortable here because of all the friendly faces we chat with regularly, but we forget about the hundreds or maybe thousands of people who pop in, maybe without even registering, to gather information from this site who we don''t know and can''t trust. It is unfortunate that we need to assume the worst, but I suppose that is how things have to be.

Maisie, I''m so sorry you feel like you have shared too much information that may endanger you or your family. I know I''ve asked you many personal questions about your son in hopes of trying to help, so I want to apologize in case my doing so has put you in an uncomfortable position now. I hope you know I only want good things for you and your beautiful family.

Auntie Gwen! Please don''t worry about asking me about James or the family. ((((Hugs))))

I have asked Andrey to remove photos I posted which has been done straight away. Thanks Andrey!

As for talking about James and his special needs, I am still hoping to be able to do that.... The support I have had here has been invaluable. I appreciate it so much.
Oh, phew! That is very good news. I had a momentary fear that you were afraid you had shared too much about your family and that I had maybe helped to push you in sharing more than you would''ve wanted to. But I am so relieved to hear that isn''t the case! I love hearing about your family, especially my adopted nephew.
2.gif

(((((Hugs!)))))

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Life is risky, and even among people in our lives there can be people who are not the best intentioned. I would never post pictures of my kids here, as it just feels funky to me. But I have chatted about my life and things that are going on. I too wish pm''s were back, because I have worried when people post about gtg''s and anyone could see the info and decide to pop by...and they might not all be nice people. We do live in a nutty world. In my neighborhood a kid was breaking into homes to steal. He was pawning things to buy drugs. He was from the area, went to the nice high school and graduated last year, knew the area and went around looking for random unlocked doors near his home. He was eventually caught but all summer long was stealing things. He fit in to the neighborhood and knew his way around so he was able to get away with it for quite a while. He did not appear from somewhere else, so it worked for him. I always lock my door and use my alarm and all of my stuff is in a safe. But still, we must be aware when posting clearly identifying information here. It is sad to think that but it is true. I doubt Gypsy''s terrible ordeal had anything to do with PS. The economy is bad and people are desperate and holiday time is especially bad. Do not even leave gifts visible in your car. It is just too tempting for some.

I was on the Acela to NY the other night with three friends and we got on in Philadelphia. A woman alone was on the the train, had gotten on in DC. She took one of those four seat areas with a table and put her purse next to her on the window side. In Wilmington a woman and child got on. They apparently had no ticket and avoided the conductor for the 20 minute ride to Philadelphia. This woman and child sat in the seats opposite the woman alone. She dozed off and this woman had her child crawl under the table and grab this woman''s purse. Then, before the woman even awoke, they hopped off the train in Philly. All her money, car keys, house keys, cell phone, id, a pair of earrings, nice sunglasses, an expensive handbag, GONE. She had to change her locks and call the station in DC to have them watch her car, as anyone now could go to DC and steal her car and break into her home. It can happen anywhere. Personally I would never sleep on the train and leave my bag on the seat but I guess she assumed on the Acela it was fine, but these two thieves did not even have tickets and they still got on the train. Please be careful during the holidays especially.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone has to remember that even if we require people to register before they can read/post etc. it won''t deter those crazies out there who use the internet to hide. I''ll share a story with you that proves my point.

I am a gamer, love to play PC games. I belong to a gaming clan with other people who share this same love. These guys are like family to me, to all of us who belong to the group. Just like here we share our joys and sorrows with one another and lean on each other during times of need. One of the members, it turned out, didn''t have the same good intentions the rest of us did. Over a four year period we thought we had gotten to know this individual, some of us even met up with him in person because of the ''friendship'' we thought we had formed. We spent many hours each day talking with and playing games with this person and thought we all knew him well. Only after suffering major harassment and threats to the point of having to get the police involved, yes it was *that* bad, we found out that every single thing this person had told us over the past four years was a complete fabrication. Everything! He didn''t even share his real name with us. All the stories he told about his work, family, etc. were all lies. Our membership is completely locked down, people get in the clan by invite only. NO ONE figured this guy out until it was too late. He knew how to play the ''game'' he had his stories all made up about his life that he''d spew over and over. Point is, even if you think you know someone... do you really?

Creeps and people with bad intentions thrive in the anonymous world that is the internet. For this fact alone we must treat everyone as though they are a threat because you just never know. Long time members and people with lots of posts could still be ''bad'' people, longevity can''t preclude one from that label. We each must use common sense and protect ourselves by not divulging private details like real names, where we work, our cars/houses etc. It''s disappointing that we can''t just be open, but I''d rather be disappointed than sorry.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the fact that PS is free, but maybe if we had a proper membership (which we pay a fee for) it might deter time wasters and bad people from infiltrating us. Perhaps RT and SMTR could be free and the rest of the forums could be members only. Also maybe only letting members with a certain amount of posts join too?

The money we pay could maybe go to charity?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 2:58:14 PM
I love the fact that PS is free, but maybe if we had a proper membership (which we pay a fee for) it might deter time wasters and bad people from infiltrating us. Perhaps RT and SMTR could be free and the rest of the forums could be members only. Also maybe only letting members with a certain amount of posts join too?

Pay a fee? I would hate to have to resort to that and think it's a bit unfair especially since we've been reading posts about job losses/unemployment, recession, etc. Another site I use to frequent, at one point, required members to submit a credit card # before joining, but of course the membership was still free.

FWIW, (just in case some do not know this) there once was a private messaging system, but it was removed for reasons such as members being bullied, etc. One member quit and before she did so, I messaged her and she left because for reason.
7.gif
She had given her personal info out to people and told me she was concerned about it and was considering contacting the police.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well maybe a membership could operate for just one forum. Perhaps a members only area.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 3:03:18 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 11/15/2008 1:33:07 PM
Author: MC
I'm appauled to say this, but due to a few posts and the lack of thought on one person's part, I do know the first and last name of that person/member and which city she lives in because she posted her wedding invitations w/out blanking out her name. Huh? Think, people!
Hit the report post button asap if you see that in the future.
if it was posted in the last 20 min also leave a message in the thread saying hey delete that!
Storm - yep, I'll report in the future.

I was just randomly searching posts and was reminded of TWO more people who I know the first and last names of and WHERE they work! Can you believe that?

Everyone, just food for thought and on a side-note -> In addition to not posting names, people should really think twice before flaming individuals. One of the above mentioned people wasn't very nice in some of her early on posts and her first & last name is POSTED for people to see. She insulted quite a few individuals!
38.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 11:28:13 AM
Author: claudinam

Date: 11/15/2008 3:39:38 AM
Author: TravelingGal
IMHO, all of these potential policies just seem too complicated and too much work for the lone two people who moderate this site. As much as there are lovely people on here and they want to GTG, it''s not PS''s first and foremost purpose, so why bog down the admins by getting them to assist with this? My suggestion would be:

1) Post what you are comfortable with, and post it at your own risk.
2) PS has evolved to what it is for good reason, and that means no PMs. Maybe you all could create accounts with your PS user names on facebook, myspace, etc. (although I''m no expert on how all of that works) Not being flippant here, but obviously there have been ways that people have found one another outside of PS.
3) Post at your own risk. (Did I say that already?)
1.gif

A members area would be nice, but at the end of the day, it doesn''t solve the issue that a nutjob could be reading your posts.

My personal advice...even longtime posters who you think you *know* could be a few fries short of a happy meal. You haven''t MET these people, period. People can be very good at putting up fronts for long periods of time, or only showing the nice aspect of their personality. Yes, I think PSers are really a nice bunch and probably 99% of us are as we appear. But having experienced firsthand myself how you really don''t know people you haven''t met (and this was on a private message board with women I chatted with for 3 years), stick to sharing your really personal stuff with REAL personal friends.

My two cents.
I agree with TGal on policies like that being too much work and they don''t really solve the problem.

I''m really curious...what is it that happened to you with those women?
Claudinam, I''ll try and answer your question a bit later...it''s a long story that I have to make short. But mostly it was how even nice people on the net can turn threatening and nasty.

Like MC said, there can be a lot of bullying going on behind the scenes. If people can be nasty for all to see (and it happens here) can you imagine the craziness that happens when they don''t think anyone else can read aside from their target? Mods have to get involved because it''s "their" turf and it''s just way too much time and energy to waste on people who feel they are entitled to do or say what they want in someone else''s forum. I''ve seen it happen elsewhere too. I think Pricescope has remained a nice place because there is no personal behind the scenes action within the forum.

How many of you who already have each other''s contact information snipe and gripe about other members or stuff you read on PS? It''s natural to do so, but unfortunately lends itself to more predatory behavior - either directly or indirectly.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
It might be a good idea to weed out any members that haven''t posted in the last year (or even 6 months), and only allow lurkers to access the actual diamond forums. Keep Hangout and the LIW areas completely closed to outside viewers - it isn''t like they need to see those things anyway, if they are looking for diamond info.

PM''s have been removed for a variety of reasons, and while I understand this, it seems unfair for those of us that AREN''T crazy/stupid to not have a way to make friends. I wanted to meet Freke SO BAD but couldn''t until I accidently posted a link to my deviantart page without realizing it was not allowed. She just happened to see it before it got removed, we met and I took her pictures, and it was really nice. I''d like to be able to at least chat privately with other people when I have a question. Maybe have the PM''s turned on after you have been on the forums for a certain amount of time/certain amount of posts?

I understand that it''s a real issue, and we SHOULD be properly worried about stalkers and theives, but I know the majority of the ladies that post here regularly are not crazed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 2:58:14 PM

I would not pay a fee that was required.
I add millions of dollars worth of content all for free and will not pay for the privilege.
I donate to a few forums to help cover costs but would never pay a fee just to post.
That has been tried on other forums and pretty much always kills it.
It never works.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 7:46:24 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
It might be a good idea to weed out any members that haven''t posted in the last year (or even 6 months), and only allow lurkers to access the actual diamond forums. Keep Hangout and the LIW areas completely closed to outside viewers - it isn''t like they need to see those things anyway, if they are looking for diamond info.

PM''s have been removed for a variety of reasons, and while I understand this, it seems unfair for those of us that AREN''T crazy/stupid to not have a way to make friends. I wanted to meet Freke SO BAD but couldn''t until I accidently posted a link to my deviantart page without realizing it was not allowed. She just happened to see it before it got removed, we met and I took her pictures, and it was really nice. I''d like to be able to at least chat privately with other people when I have a question. Maybe have the PM''s turned on after you have been on the forums for a certain amount of time/certain amount of posts?

I understand that it''s a real issue, and we SHOULD be properly worried about stalkers and theives, but I know the majority of the ladies that post here regularly are not crazed.
IMHO, it''s perfectly fair. The rules were there when you (meaning generally "you", not specifically *you*, Monkey Pie) joined.

The certain amount of time, certain amount of posts doesn''t help. It can be the people who have been here the longest who are the worst behind the scenes. It could be ME that comes and gets you. Muahahahaha.

Seriously though, to answer Claudinam''s question of what happened to me - it''s no big deal actually, but here it is in a nutshell.

I was part of a well known travel forum for many many years. About 4 years into it, I was invited to join a private group formed by members of that forum. These were longtime members also, so compare it to veterans of this forum in terms of longevity.

I chatted to them pretty much daily for about another 3 years. It was a private forum, but everyone had each other''s personal email address and in many cases, home address because these ladies seemed super sweet and often sent things to one another. When I decided to learn how to cook, one of them bought me a subscription to a cooking mag. Another bought and sent me a bunch of pampered chef stuff. I was the baby of the group, and they were all very sweet to me. The next oldest gals (2 of them) were older than me by about 5-10 years. The rest of the ladies were anywhere between 40-70''s.

I should note that this group formed as a spin off by another group. Apparently there was a bit of a mutiny with the old gorup when people believed itw as run as the founder saw fit and had a problem with that. This new group was formed with the notion that it was "everyone''s group and no one could be brought in or kicked out without a vote. More on that later.

I was pretty naive because everyone seemed so nice that there wasn''t a lot of cattiness behind the scenes, but apparently there was. About a year and a half into my stay there, there was a blow up, which I wasn''t involved in at the time because TGuy was visiting me from Australia for a month (so I was off the net). A lot of cattiness about how so and so bugs, etc, and apparently a lot of subtle jabs within the forum. After the blow up a few people left the group and I got an email from one of the ladies who did to tell me since she hadn''t heard from me, she would assume I was not on her side. I thought, "huh? I''ve been busy with my boyfriend. I brushed it off and continued to post.

1.5 years later apparently there were more rifts, catties and even threats. One of the women who stayed in the group was apparently banned from the public travel forum after the mods from that forum had to get involved because she sent a threatening email to one of the ladies who left our private group. I don''t know the details, but the fact is she was permanently banned from a public forum for something she did that involved a personal email. She was the only lady from the group I actually met in person...she drove from 8 hours away to cheer me on at the finish line of my first marathon and brought along her daughter. She was very nice and nothing ever happened to me during the visit, but it did make me wonder what she must have said to the woman she clashed with to get her banned. I''m not even sure if the threatened woman said was she was going to call the police or something.

Which brings me to why I left the group. One day all of the sudden one of the younger women started deleting all the pictures she had posted over the years. The forum founder and moderator, who was the sweetest, nicest, your mom/grandma kind of person (take the nicest person on PS and magnify it by 10) shot out a post demanding that she stop and if she didn''t, she would terminate her membership right away. I wasn''t that active in the forum by that time but when I read it, I said, wait a minute, you can''t do that...the rules are she would have to get voted out, and why all the tension? Being the way I am, I was blunt and to the point. She was sweet as pie and said of course "honey, I hope you believe me that I wouldn''t do anything mean" etc etc.

After thinking about it on and off for a couple of days, I decided I didn''t want to deal with all the drama in a group that was founded so there would be no drama. I was getting involved with Pricescope at the time and enjoyed chatting more without obligation to women closer to my age. I politely posted that I would like to give up my membership, but if they wouldn''t mind, I would like to delete some personal pictures and posts and it would take me a couple of days to do so.

The forum mod, who had been so nice to me all those years, sending me a wedding present etc, took it very personally that I wouldn''t believe her and would opt to leave. She just completely turned on me, saying I had given up the right to my membership and no that I could not remove anything and she was going to kick me out. At that point, several members kicked in and forced to a vote. Most voted I had the right to stay as long as I wanted and remove what I wanted.

In the few days that followed where I cleaned house she accused me of forming a conspiracy with the woman who initially deleted her pics (I had not, as I simply didn''t email those women behind the scenes). She said I knew exactly what she was talking about (I hadnt'' a clue) and she was generally just a woman scorned. The whole thing threw me for a loop, as she was always so kind and I had even spoken to her husband offline to help him with a project. I even copied and sent the email to TGuy wondering if I wasn''t seeing things, but I knew I was not. I did remember something she said long ago...once angered, she admitted she never could get past it. I guess I made her mad!

So I left and never looked back. And you know what? What you just heard is just ONE side of the story. Who knows what hers is? Maybe I''m the crackjob? Maybe you should be afraid of me?

Never trust someone you haven''t met. You don''t know what people are like once you piss them off.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGal

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

I think your story drives home the point perfectly...you never really know who you''re dealing with and you always, always have to be careful. This is especially true when you haven''t even met the person.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

I''m appauled to say this, but due to a few posts and the lack of thought on one person''s part, I do know the first and last name of that person/member and which city she lives in because she posted her wedding invitations w/out blanking out her name. Huh? Think, people!
This happens so often. Every time someone does an STD or an invite, they post without thinking to block their names or the location of their wedding/reception. The majority of us over on BWW are on The Knot so its very easy to see a first name, know where they are located, look up the profile on the knot (because that’s not private either) and then have their last name and all the details about where their rehearsal dinner will be, their wedding and reception and how long they’ll be on a honeymoon.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I think you should have to log in to view the forum, period.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 11:03:43 AM
Author: fieryred33143

I''m appauled to say this, but due to a few posts and the lack of thought on one person''s part, I do know the first and last name of that person/member and which city she lives in because she posted her wedding invitations w/out blanking out her name. Huh? Think, people!
This happens so often. Every time someone does an STD or an invite, they post without thinking to block their names or the location of their wedding/reception. The majority of us over on BWW are on The Knot so its very easy to see a first name, know where they are located, look up the profile on the knot (because that’s not private either) and then have their last name and all the details about where their rehearsal dinner will be, their wedding and reception and how long they’ll be on a honeymoon.
I''ve never looked at the Knot because I''ve been married for 10 years. . .Doesn''t that place have a reputation for members bullying each other? Maybe I heard wrong.

I''m a member of another forum where women exchange items online (via "swapping") and I have a PO Box for exchanges and only use my first name and the initial of my last name. There is a ANOTHER forum that is set up specifically to monitor that other forum, its swappers, and all the people who have proven to be unstable (who are then tracked)! That is pretty bad that a second site has been set up to do all that.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has to be careful on all open forums, not just Pricescope. And I would suggest any GTG's be in a public place with more than two members attending.

I do wonder how many people who lurk on these boards 'steal' diamonds other posters are looking at and considering buying. When links are posted on RockyTalk I always say a quick prayer that no one buys them out from under the op.

Also, IMHO, there is way too much info shared about personal wedding details on BWW forum. I'm afraid stalkers will figure out the venues in large cities.
Do you mean, if someone posts an item they are "thinking" about buying, then if/when they decide to purchase, it's already sold?? If so, then why not keep it to yourself if it's something you want, or others may buy it first. Post about it once it's yours!! I also wouldn't consider it "stealing" since everything is for sale, and everyone is entitled to buying. It's usually first come, first serve..which is why I don't really think about it for too long..just BUY IT..before it's gone!! The majority of vendors have return policies.
19.gif
Don't attack..that's just my take on it!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 1:05:20 PM
Author: beau13

Everyone has to be careful on all open forums, not just Pricescope. And I would suggest any GTG's be in a public place with more than two members attending.

I do wonder how many people who lurk on these boards 'steal' diamonds other posters are looking at and considering buying. When links are posted on RockyTalk I always say a quick prayer that no one buys them out from under the op.

Also, IMHO, there is way too much info shared about personal wedding details on BWW forum. I'm afraid stalkers will figure out the venues in large cities.
Do you mean, if someone posts an item they are 'thinking' about buying, then if/when they decide to purchase, it's already sold?? If so, then why not keep it to yourself if it's something you want, or others may buy it first. Post about it once it's yours!! I also wouldn't consider it 'stealing' since everything is for sale, and everyone is entitled to buying. It's usually first come, first serve..which is why I don't really think about it for too long..just BUY IT..before it's gone!! The majority of vendors have return policies.
19.gif
Beau - what MMD means I believe is this- posters often post links to various diamonds they are considering purchasing in order to get advice on that particular stone. If the Rocky Talk team give it the thumbs up then sometimes just as the person who has posted about it goes to buy it, they find a lurker has grabbed the diamond out from under them. This seems to be happening more frequently, hence the advice to posters that if they are seriously considering a diamond, to either reserve it first or just post the pertinent details for us to look at rather than the whole link.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 1:12:41 PM
Author: Lorelei

I do wonder how many people who lurk on these boards ''steal'' diamonds other posters are looking at and considering buying. When links are posted on RockyTalk I always say a quick prayer that no one buys them out from under the op.

Do you mean, if someone posts an item they are ''thinking'' about buying, then if/when they decide to purchase, it''s already sold?? If so, then why not keep it to yourself if it''s something you want, or others may buy it first. Post about it once it''s yours!! I also wouldn''t consider it ''stealing'' since everything is for sale, and everyone is entitled to buying. It''s usually first come, first serve..which is why I don''t really think about it for too long..just BUY IT..before it''s gone!! The majority of vendors have return policies.
19.gif
Don''t attack..that''s just my take on it!!
Beau - what MMD means I believe is this- posters often post links to various diamonds they are considering purchasing in order to get advice on that particular stone. If the Rocky Talk team give it the thumbs up then sometimes just as the person who has posted about it goes to buy it, they find a lurker has grabbed the diamond out from under them. This seems to be happening more frequently, hence the advice to posters that if they are seriously considering a diamond, to either reserve it first or just post the pertinent details for us to look at rather than the whole link.
That''s exactly what happened to us. I had a James Allen diamond I was eyeing for about a month. No movement with the diamond at all. I posted on Rocky Talky and someone asked for the images. I didn''t post the link but posted a print screen of the image (duh!) and not 30 minutes later, it was sold.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember when Ellen and I were going to meet for the first time and her son was like, wait, what if she's an axe murderer? Funny, only because I'm *not* (despite what my t-shir says) if you know what I mean...

Yes, we all need to be careful.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 2:24:01 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Remember when Ellen and I were going to meet for the first time and her son was like, wait, what if she''s an axe murderer? Funny, only because I''m *not* (despite what my t-shir says) if you know what I mean...

Yes, we all need to be careful.
LOL - I had a similar reaction from my husband the first time I got on a plane to visit Houston and to meet Mara.

About 2 days before I was due to travel, hubby says "uh...........so you''re really going to meet people you''ve never met before?" I answered "yep....it''s ok, I do know them and I know how to get help if I need it."

Even though he trusts my judgment, he felt much better when I phoned him after arrival to let him know I was there safely and all was well.
9.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
As far as the general theme of the thread goes, I''m a bit in the middle on this topic.

I''m of the mindset that there are ways to minimize risk without having to completely live in a shell, and I''m all about finding that balance.

I''m a huge proponent of *reasonable* caution, but I wouldn''t want to err so far on the cautious side that I''d miss out on some of the incredible friendships I''ve made because of PS, either. I''ve met ladies who are just lovely to know. Our Greater Boston contingent is about 10-12 gals, and they are some of the most amazing ladies you''d ever care to meet. I see several of them on a regular basis, and my life is richer for knowing these gals. Same with Mara; we''ve developed a friendship that''s immensely important to me and wouldn''t have been possible without Pricescope.

Yes, there is risk involved when you make friends, be it online or offline. There is no guarantee that IRL friendships are any less risky; you can live right next door to someone for years and still not know how they''ll react when they feel slighted/offended/hurt.

I understand the need for caution, but I feel it''s important to keep a realistic perspective on things, too. I''ve been on PS for five years; I cannot recall even five instances where lack of caution has put someone at risk here. I think the friendly reminder "hey, remember this is a public place" is a valid one, but I''d temper that with saying "yes, it''s public, but it''s largely safe when you take appropriate common sense cautions."

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''d really like to see PMs brought back. I''m not sure exactly why they were taken away, but maybe something could be different next time that would prevent that problem/issue from happening again. Just my humble 2 cents.

(Beyond that, I agree with Alj!)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 11:16:18 AM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I think you should have to log in to view the forum, period.

Ditto, I never knew why this wasn''t the case.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Do you mean, if someone posts an item they are 'thinking' about buying, then if/when they decide to purchase, it's already sold?? If so, then why not keep it to yourself if it's something you want, or others may buy it first. Post about it once it's yours!! I also wouldn't consider it 'stealing' since everything is for sale, and everyone is entitled to buying. It's usually first come, first serve..which is why I don't really think about it for too long..just BUY IT..before it's gone!! The majority of vendors have return policies.
19.gif

Beau, I am confused, as this statement is in direct contradiction of all your posts in my art carved thread..? Which is it?
33.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 3:12:27 PM
Author: Allison D.
As far as the general theme of the thread goes, I''m a bit in the middle on this topic.

I''m of the mindset that there are ways to minimize risk without having to completely live in a shell, and I''m all about finding that balance.

I''m a huge proponent of *reasonable* caution, but I wouldn''t want to err so far on the cautious side that I''d miss out on some of the incredible friendships I''ve made because of PS, either. I''ve met ladies who are just lovely to know. Our Greater Boston contingent is about 10-12 gals, and they are some of the most amazing ladies you''d ever care to meet. I see several of them on a regular basis, and my life is richer for knowing these gals. Same with Mara; we''ve developed a friendship that''s immensely important to me and wouldn''t have been possible without Pricescope.

Yes, there is risk involved when you make friends, be it online or offline. There is no guarantee that IRL friendships are any less risky; you can live right next door to someone for years and still not know how they''ll react when they feel slighted/offended/hurt.

I understand the need for caution, but I feel it''s important to keep a realistic perspective on things, too. I''ve been on PS for five years; I cannot recall even five instances where lack of caution has put someone at risk here. I think the friendly reminder ''hey, remember this is a public place'' is a valid one, but I''d temper that with saying ''yes, it''s public, but it''s largely safe when you take appropriate common sense cautions.''
I agree; I had a wonderful time meeting the people from Chicago
9.gif
Happy belated 5 year PS anniversary Alj
36.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 10:28:56 AM
Author: Skippy123
Happy belated 5 year PS anniversary Alj
36.gif
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, thanks, Skippy, but you''re not actually late. I''m approaching my SIXTH anniversary on November 25! LOL! I first joined on November 25, 2002 under my consumer name.

Wow, have the years flown by. I feel blessed for the many friendships I''ve come to have through Pricescope, including yours! I''ve met so many great gals in person, and I hope to meet more of them in the years to come.
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2008 9:47:17 PM
Author: Lynn B
I''d really like to see PMs brought back. I''m not sure exactly why they were taken away, but maybe something could be different next time that would prevent that problem/issue from happening again. Just my humble 2 cents.

(Beyond that, I agree with Alj!)
you know women....too much gossipping!!
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results