shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Me Find My Dream Engagement Ring!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've been lurking for about ~1 month and finally created an account. I'm on the hunt for my perfect ring and am struggling to locate it. Before I cave and go the old diamond with a new/reproduction setting route, I'd be incredibly appreciative of any help/guidance you all may have in finding a true antique beauty!

Ideal specifications:
  • Setting:
    • Edwardian or Art Deco — original
    • White gold or platinum
    • No overtly feminine designs (flowers, butterflies, ribbons tied in a bow)
  • Diamond:
    • OEC or transitional cut
    • .85-1.5 carats
    • >=SI2 clarity (eye clean)
    • >K color
Budget: ~$8,000 USD

So far, I've tried all of the vendors listed in the pinned post, Etsy, 1st Dibs, eBay, etc. etc. I'm located in Australia, so it's been a struggle to find much in person, though I've also visited ~6 local antique/pawn shops. The closest I've come to The One is the following:

HexagonRingExample_Top.jpg HexagonRingExample_Side.jpg

My only hesitation with it is that the videos I've seen don't indicate much sparkle and almost no fire. Disappointing! Do you think the setting is not letting in enough light?

I also love this ring, which has already sold (much to my dismay): https://pebbleandpolish.com/product...ia-1-59-carat-old-european-cut-diamond-center

Apologies for the long-winded post, and thank you so much in advance!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Not perfect, but here's an option:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This shop is Australian, have you seen anything here?

Here's a list to start with, many of these vendors can also help you find what you're looking for. Their prices are good and sometimes, great. It's definitely worth reaching out.
*Edit: it's going to be a hunt and you'll need to narrow down the specific style of mounting or it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack of antique rings.

Last edited:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there.. if you're local to Melbourne and do end up going the old cut diamond and new/reproduction setting then Simon West jewellers might have something in your budget.

My friend is getting her engagement ring made by Simon with a 1.07ct K SI2 old european cut diamond gia certified plus setting for just over 11K AUD. He has a few stones that you can choose from in person if that's an option.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Too ornate?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Also suggest Ivy and Rose. They've got a loose stone in your budget and could probably find a setting for you too.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
!ATTENTION @Crystallized Carbon!
@chrono is selling her beautiful ring. It is a replica, but look at it! Divine!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They have some nice options, as well.
https://www.instagram.com/vermaestatedepartment

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
I woke up this morning feeling emotional about the outpouring of support and guidance — THANK YOU! I'm across the world from my mom and the majority of my other loved ones, so I've felt been alone in the giddiness of the hunt, and it feels great to share it with enthusiasts such as yourselves.

I will respond to everyone shortly!

BUT FIRST... To quickly potentially complicate matters, I'll add that this is the loose stone I've already been eyeing for a potential reproduction ring. For the stone (GIA certed 1.15 transitional, J, VS2) + the setting I've been quoted $8.6k USD. I've fallen for the faceting, but am not confident about ordering a repro from overseas, am still keen to find something antique if possible, and I'd love to stay closer within budget.

What do you reckon of it, though, experts? Sorry for the bad video captures — it is not listed online for me to link to.

TransitionalCloudy.png TransitionalCloudy2.png Transitional.png Transitional2.png

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Additionally, I reached out once more to the seller of The Potential One (the hexagonal antique in my original post) and asked if they could kindly share a video demonstrating the diamond's fire as that is a quality I love.

They said that "rainbows are more in the nature of the modern round brilliant cut" and I shouldn't expect fire from an old cut. I'm by no means a diamond pro, but that doesn't sound quite right to me? I understand that old cuts are not as brilliant, but... :think:

OECFire.png

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Additionally, I reached out once more to the seller of The Potential One (the hexagonal antique in my original post) and asked if they could kindly share a video demonstrating the diamond's fire as that is a quality I love.

They said that "rainbows are more in the nature of the modern round brilliant cut" and I shouldn't expect fire from an old cut. I'm by no means a diamond pro, but that doesn't sound quite right to me? I understand that old cuts are not as brilliant, but... :think:

OECFire.png

Well, that's a big bouncing bag of BS:lol: If you want broad pastel flash, old cuts are the way to go.
The patterning on the checkerboard transitional is very nice. My only question is what kind of setting are we talking about? A simple solitaire or something more?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
You have a lot of options in your price range. The transitional has a nice checkerboard. Do you prefer this facet pattern to a more traditional OEC one?

And old cuts are all rainbow flashes and fire! ;-)

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Well, that's a big bouncing bag of BS:lol: If you want broad pastel flash, old cuts are the way to go.
The patterning on the checkerboard transitional is very nice. My only question is what kind of setting are we talking about? A simple solitaire or something more?

You have a lot of options in your price range. The transitional has a nice checkerboard. Do you prefer this facet pattern to a more traditional OEC one?

And old cuts are all rainbow flashes and fire! ;-)

Thank you both for confirming that the "older cuts don't have fire" line is BS! As I said, I'm no expert, but that didn't sit right with me at all and also makes me feel a bit sussed out about that seller in general for trying to fool me rather than admitting that the diamond in question may not be cut or exhibited well

As for the transitional, I love the checkerboard pattern. It actually reminds me of lovedogs' thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/transitional-cut-diamond.279472/)! I'm not 100% on how to set it, though. Maybe in a hex/oct bezel? The estimate I received is based on it being a solitaire in platinum.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
A few more options. Your budget is totally doable. Reach out to Adam and see what he has for settings.

Thank you so much for the links and suggestion. I hadn't thought about contacting OWD to see if they may have an antique setting available for one of their loose stones — that's a fabulous idea!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the links and suggestion. I hadn't thought about contacting OWD to see if they may have an antique setting available for one of their loose stones — that's a fabulous idea!

He can also make a custom repro setting as well if he doesn’t have an antique one. He made a custom bezel setting for @Cerulean and it turned out fabulously.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Too ornate?

It's ornate, but I actually like the patterns and use of negative space! Thank you so much!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
This shop is Australian, have you seen anything here?

Here's a list to start with, many of these vendors can also help you find what you're looking for. Their prices are good and sometimes, great. It's definitely worth reaching out.
*Edit: it's going to be a hunt and you'll need to narrow down the specific style of mounting or it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack of antique rings.

Wow! Thank you for all of these great vendor recs as well as for pointing me in the direction of chrono's ring. You're amazing!

Your edit/added note is so true, and I've been trying to narrow down my vision. The issue is that, once I think I've landed on the path forward, I see a entirely different ring that I fall for :lol-2: It's been driving my poor, patient partner a bit nuts!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
I hope it has a GIA cert though…

Good point :think: I'm also a bit wary because this is the vendor who told me that old cuts don't exhibit fire :shhh: I do like the ring, though, and can use it for inspiration if nothing else!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Hi there.. if you're local to Melbourne and do end up going the old cut diamond and new/reproduction setting then Simon West jewellers might have something in your budget.

My friend is getting her engagement ring made by Simon with a 1.07ct K SI2 old european cut diamond gia certified plus setting for just over 11K AUD. He has a few stones that you can choose from in person if that's an option.

Well, hey, that's great to know! I am in Melbourne, but didn't know that any jeweler here worked with/had a stock of old stones, so I'll certainly keep that in mind and may take a peak at their selection this weekend. Thank you!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
How fun! We love shopping for others (at least I do).

Have you visited this one? https://theantiqueparlour.com/

She has a rose cut that’s gorgeous, even though I know that’s not your preference.

That ring is beautiful! If only it didn't have yellow gold — it's soooo close! Thank you for thinking of me =)2

It's also very funny that you mention the AP's rose cut. Are you referring to this one? If so, I was actually strongly considering it, but decided to stick with my OEC/transitional dream. You get me!

----

In case it helps our now-collective hunt, here's a screenshot of my Pinterest board, so y'all can see other styles that have caught my eye (apparently primarily round or octagon/hexagon bezels): Pinterest.png

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
He can also make a custom repro setting as well if he doesn’t have an antique one. He made a custom bezel setting for @Cerulean and it turned out fabulously.

That sure is a beauty, @Cerulean! :kiss2:

----

Hunt updates:

Upon everyone's recommendation, I've emailed Adam from OWD to see what he may have in the way of an antique setting to pair with one of his stones. Fingers crossed that we can Frankenstein something together.

I've also contacted Simon West, here in Melbourne, to see what he may be able to cobble together. I'd like to go local for a custom versus my prior overseas plan, but I've gotten attached to the beautiful transitional gem I'd picked out for that project.

Otherwise, I'm incredibly fond of chrono's ring. While I wouldn't have picked out the band for myself, I can't stop drooling over it and am in love with her bezel revision. I truly can't believe my luck that she listed it within hours of my joining PS. Meant to be?

Please keep sharing, and many thanks again to everyone! My partner is also very appreciative of "the Diamond Gals" :lol-2:

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Hunt updates and advice request:
  1. No response from Adam at OWD yet.
  2. Eagerly awaiting more details from chrono.
  3. I’ve booked an appointment in 2 days at Simon West, per @maryjane04's recommendation. He just got a shipment of old cut diamonds, so we’ll see!
  4. The custom ring vendor with the checkerboard transitional is happy to pause the process.
  5. I went to another local antique shop on the weekend and found this beauty, which might be The One, but it’s at the tippy top of my budget.
    • Diamond: GIA certed 1.29 EOC, L (faces up whiter), VS1.
    • Setting: Original 1920s in 18kt white gold. Excellent condition.
I’d appreciate everyone’s thoughts, please, as the store will only hold this ring for me through EOW. It’s suddenly become time sensitive!

I’m still interested in pursuing the options 1-4, but am worried that my commitment phobia (ironic) is taking over here. Do you notice any obvious issues with the ring? Should I pounce?

DecoBeauty1.jpg

Attachments

• DecoBeauty2.jpg
    DecoBeauty2.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DecoBeauty3.jpg
    DecoBeauty3.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DecoBeauty4.jpg
    DecoBeauty4.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited: