shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Me Find My Dream Engagement Ring!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I think that ring fits the bill and is the exact style of setting that you prefer, bonus that its a genuine antique too. You have a bit of time to check out Simon's stones as well. Even though this may be at the top of your budget at least you know what to expect as custom settings can be expensive. This would be the one to beat. Do you like the actual stone itself? Does it have any dark areas/dead spots?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your comment reads that if all the rings/stones you’ve considered were the same price, the one at the top of your budget would be “the one”. My suggestion, if this ring is truly everything you want then spend the money and get “the one”. If you buy something else just to spend less you may regret it and then spend years trying to find it again.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hunt updates and advice request:
  1. No response from Adam at OWD yet.
  2. Eagerly awaiting more details from chrono.
  3. I’ve booked an appointment in 2 days at Simon West, per @maryjane04's recommendation. He just got a shipment of old cut diamonds, so we’ll see!
  4. The custom ring vendor with the checkerboard transitional is happy to pause the process.
  5. I went to another local antique shop on the weekend and found this beauty, which might be The One, but it’s at the tippy top of my budget.
    • Diamond: GIA certed 1.29 EOC, L (faces up whiter), VS1.
    • Setting: Original 1920s in 18kt white gold. Excellent condition.
I’d appreciate everyone’s thoughts, please, as the store will only hold this ring for me through EOW. It’s suddenly become time sensitive!

I’m still interested in pursuing the options 1-4, but am worried that my commitment phobia (ironic) is taking over here. Do you notice any obvious issues with the ring? Should I pounce?

DecoBeauty1.jpg

What are the stats on the dimensions on the stone?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems to tick all of the boxes...I think it is a beautiful setting and the diamond looks nice as far as I can tell. It's a little hard to get a feel for the faceting. I would just second @YadaYadaYada about making sure there are no dark spots or areas where facets stay dark. You have seen the ring in person, so that's a plus. I'm also curious as to the measurements of the diamond.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a beauty! The acanthus leaves on the shoulders are beautiful and so, so art deco!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I love the acanthus mount ring. If it's calling you, it's calling you. Answer.
It's good to do your due diligence but sometimes the right one just pops up. What does your gut say?

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for sharing your input and wisdom!

Your comment reads that if all the rings/stones you’ve considered were the same price, the one at the top of your budget would be “the one”. My suggestion, if this ring is truly everything you want then spend the money and get “the one”. If you buy something else just to spend less you may regret it and then spend years trying to find it again.

I’m nervous because of the financial investment involved, but I do really love this ring and it’s helpful to keep your comment in mind.

[...] Do you like the actual stone itself? Does it have any dark areas/dead spots?

I viewed the diamond in different lighting and didn’t discern any dark spots, but I’m also not an expert. I’ll confess that I prefer the checkerboard pattern of the transitional I posted the other day, but I like the chunky arrows of this stone, too. I’ve attached a couple more photos!

What are the stats on the dimensions on the stone?
[...] I'm also curious as to the measurements of the diamond.

The stats:
  • Measurements: 6.71 - 7.02 x 4.21 mm
  • Table: 48%
  • Depth: 61.4%
  • Girdle: Medium-Thick (faceted)
  • Polish: Very good
  • Symmetry: Fair (my primary concern/disappointment)

Attachments

• BeautyClose.jpg
    BeautyClose.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 59
  • BeautyClose2.jpg
    BeautyClose2.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 58
  • BeautyClose3.jpg
    BeautyClose3.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 58

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I love the setting.

Can you try to take some pics in shade? The numbers look good. In the last pic, a lot of the center petals look dark, but I just maybe that is just obstruction from the camera? Can you get some video?

I found another gorgeous stone, but the seller only ships within the U.S.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
I love the setting.

Can you try to take some pics in shade? The numbers look good. In the last pic, a lot of the center petals look dark, but I just maybe that is just obstruction from the camera? Can you get some video?

I found another gorgeous stone, but the seller only ships within the U.S.

Video incoming... I hope this helps, and thank you all again!

Last edited:

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Oh boy, check out the K color.

This vendor can probably ship to you.

Oof! That stone is gorgeous! Thank you for thinking of me.

While I recognize that buying a loose stone like this would give me the most options, I find the prospect of shipping one across the world and then figuring out the setting to be a bit daunting. It's easier for me to wrap my head around purchasing a 100% antique or building a custom using one vendor for both the stone and setting.

I'm equating this to how some folks want a turn-key house and others want a full house flip project — I'm somewhere in the middle where I'm up for a light renovation :lol-2:

What did you reckon of the video I uploaded? Do you still see any concerning darkening of the center petals?

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Beautiful. I think it’s a really pretty stone. It’s the setting you’re after, original to boot…if you love it, I’d get it. If you need to absolutely gut check go to your appointment to compare.

Thank you so much for your review! It boosts my confidence to hear that you think it looks all right. I'm smitten with the antique setting, but keep second-guessing myself about the diamond (not that I see anything wrong with it, but I have FOMO when I look at other stones).

----

I'll report back after tomorrow's appointment with Simon and look forward to hearing what others make of the ring video!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the diamond and setting of the one you are considering. Did you see it outside of jewelry store lighting? What’s the return policy? I would not let fair symmetry put me off for an OEC. The setting looks in very good shape for 18k, is there wear to the shank?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the diamond looks pretty! I'm thinking any dark areas are just camera reflection and ditto kgizo, I think fair symmetry is not unusual in these old cuts. Keep us posted!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oof! That stone is gorgeous! Thank you for thinking of me.

While I recognize that buying a loose stone like this would give me the most options, I find the prospect of shipping one across the world and then figuring out the setting to be a bit daunting. It's easier for me to wrap my head around purchasing a 100% antique or building a custom using one vendor for both the stone and setting.

I'm equating this to how some folks want a turn-key house and others want a full house flip project — I'm somewhere in the middle where I'm up for a light renovation :lol-2:

What did you reckon of the video I uploaded? Do you still see any concerning darkening of the center petals?

Just so you know, Collins does have antique settings in hand. Doesn't hurt to DM them on insta to see what they have to fit the K.

I think it's important that you LOVE the stone. Somewhere down the road, you may want to change up your setting. But if you love the L go for it! I do love the setting.

Hopefully, you will get some clarity today. Please post some pics!

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
As someone who purchased an AVR after wanting an OMC, AND also having the FOMO on the "perfect" ring/price/setting, I totally get your feelings and feel somewhat invested in your decision. I can't wait to hear how the visit went and if you found something or choose to go with the one you're currently considering (which I think looks lovely). Once you pick, QUIT looking - that's my advice. BTW, I LOVE my new ring and you will love yours, too!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
I really like the diamond and setting of the one you are considering. Did you see it outside of jewelry store lighting? What’s the return policy? I would not let fair symmetry put me off for an OEC. The setting looks in very good shape for 18k, is there wear to the shank?

Thank you very much for the response!

The vendor was kind enough to let me walk outside with the ring and observe it in shade and bright sun (both featured in the video upload), which helped a lot!

I didn’t observe any noticeable wear to the shank, but I also wasn’t checking that particularly closely. The setting generally seemed in amazing shape.

The return policy is 7 days.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Just so you know, Collins does have antique settings in hand. Doesn't hurt to DM them on insta to see what they have to fit the K.

I messaged Collins who said they’re happy to share some settings tomorrow — thanks for suggesting that and letting me know that they may have something known stock! It’s cutting it close for the antique ring hold deadline, but I thought it worth investigating.

I’m disappointed to have not heard back from OWD with my similar request from last week.

Stay tuned for tonight’s appointment with Simon…

Edit: Hot off the press are the specs for Collins’ K! 0BB26CAB-7D05-457A-A132-AC207F7749E1.jpeg

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Can’t make out the faceting from the pic:/

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Can’t make out the faceting from the pic:/

Apologies for the poor quality photo (taken from their Instagram page). Are you able to access the link I shared in my "What do we think?" comment? It has a video and the stats, as well!

Posting again for easy access: https://doyledoyle.com/collections/...tage-filigree-engagement-ring-old-mine-0-70ct

The setting and stone are very pretty! I am partial to OMC however they do face up smaller. Would you be happy with this size? 0.70ct but 5.37 x 5.16 x 3.61 mm.

Good point — it's certainly smaller than I was aiming for, but it caught my eye regardless. Another one that I wish I could see in person!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Have to echo on the D&D, very expensive.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I know it’s a little out of your budget, but incase you feel like splurging a little… I saw this and thought of you… she’s in Paris today, so if you are interested, message her asap

1.3ct J/K SI1 OEC, French Art Deco

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpeg
    IMG_0820.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results