shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help Me Find My Dream Engagement Ring!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
As someone who purchased an AVR after wanting an OMC, AND also having the FOMO on the "perfect" ring/price/setting, I totally get your feelings and feel somewhat invested in your decision. I can't wait to hear how the visit went and if you found something or choose to go with the one you're currently considering (which I think looks lovely). Once you pick, QUIT looking - that's my advice. BTW, I LOVE my new ring and you will love yours, too!

I meant to respond to this — sorry for the delay. Your understanding means a lot to me. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in experiencing FOMO and wanting to explore All The Options, and I think your advice to stop looking once I pick something is also excellent!

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for the input on the curveball old mine! I think I knew that it wasn't The One, but I couldn't resist throwing it out there just in case.

I know it’s a little out of your budget, but incase you feel like splurging a little… I saw this and thought of you… she’s in Paris today, so if you are interested, message her asap

1.3ct J/K SI1 OEC, French Art Deco

Well, this is gosh darn lovely! Thank you for thinking of me — you understand what appeals to me :kiss2: My partner would kill me if I almost doubled our budget or else I'd be veryyyyyy tempted to pounce on it.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for the input on the curveball old mine! I think I knew that it wasn't The One, but I couldn't resist throwing it out there just in case.

Well, this is gosh darn lovely! Thank you for thinking of me — you understand what appeals to me :kiss2: My partner would kill me if I almost doubled our budget or else I'd be veryyyyyy tempted to pounce on it.

We may speak the same language :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

I LOVE Edwardian with a touch of art deco too. Pretty sure I was born in the wrong century, lol!

Just tell him/her….c'était trop beau donc j'ai dû l'acheter

Last edited:

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
How did you go last night @Crystallized Carbon can't wait for your update!

Eep!

Hunt updates:
  1. Adam from OWD responded today (!) and offered to text some stones and settings to me — hopefully soon.
  2. I'm still really keen on chrono's ring.
  3. Simon West was fantastic. He's a true artist who would be a pleasure to work with. The only downside is that I didn't fall in love with any of the 5 OECs he has in stock. I've attached an awful photo of them (sorry) — 3 L, 1 K, and 1 J ranging from SI2-VS2 and .82-1.18ct.
    • SimonDiamonds.jpg
  4. The transitional checkerboard diamond has a piece of my heart, but I'm 90% certain I don't want to go the custom route with a vendor overseas — especially after meeting with Simon who is lovely and local. I wonder if he'd consider selling me the loose stone.
  5. Collins got back to me with one setting that would fit their K color gem. It's pretty, but I know it's not what I'm looking for.
    • CollinsRing.jpg
  6. The Deco Beauty from the antique shop is still calling to me. Today is technically our hold date deadline, but I'd like to see the ring one more time in person and have emailed to ask if I can do so on Monday.

I've adopted "leave no stone unturned" as the motto for this hunt :lol-2:

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh darn-I was hoping Collins would a good setting for you. That K stone is so pretty.

Bummer about Simon West too.

Does anyone know Chrono?

Let us know how you feel about the L when you see it again.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Oh darn-I was hoping Collins would a good setting for you. That K stone is so pretty.

Bummer about Simon West too.

Does anyone know Chrono?

Let us know how you feel about the L when you see it again.

The Collins' K stone really is beautiful! I had high hopes for a dreamy setting after sending them a lot of photos, but it sounds like that's the only one they have in stock that could work.

To be fair to Simon's stones, we were unable to see them in daylight, and he had a very yellow chandelier overhead that made them all look much lower in color. I should also add that, when I showed him the Art Deco ring with the L stone (as "inspiration"), he audibly gasped and admired the craftsmanship. That felt pretty validating!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what an update and so many things to consider!!

Definitely find a stone that you love first - would Simon set an outside stone? That might be an option?

Oh you might have to go back and try them in different lighting. It's so hard to assess them in limited conditions. And one thing would old cuts are they are so hard to photograph too!!

But really do not fear buying overseas as it could work out cheaper most times. I have bought nearly all my jewellery from the US and it really does ease the stress when the stone and setting are made together.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Wait-have we talked about this one? Not sure about the cut but throwing it in the mix:

Or this one? Can't tell if there is a clarity issue...

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
Wait-have we talked about this one? Not sure about the cut but throwing it in the mix:

Or this one? Can't tell if there is a clarity issue...

Ohhh, thank you for sharing some local lovelies! I like the top one, though I'm also unsure about the cut and wish it were certed.

----

No major updates to share this week. I am still waiting to hear from Adam, chrono, and Simon about my various inquiries. I may have to make a decision about the Art Deco L before I get those responses, which is a shame, but the thought of losing the L really pains me (maybe that's a sign?).

Speaking of, I'm going to look at the L again today with the aim to observe the stone itself more critically and compare it to the others I've seen in person since I first found that ring. It's also the (actual) final deadline for the hold, so I'll keep everyone posted!

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok, one more certed one for you. However, the jeweler doesn't ship to Australia on Ebay. It would require you contacting the jewelry store directly for shipping, but this is a lovely ring at a fab price. Also, another PSer got a gorgeous ring from this store before.

It may look to Edwardian for you versus Deco.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ok, one more certed one for you. However, the jeweler doesn't ship to Australia on Ebay. It would require you contacting the jewelry store directly for shipping, but this is a lovely ring at a fab price. Also, another PSer got a gorgeous ring from this store before.

This one is on my watch list lol. It’s so pretty. Also eBay pictures never do it justice. Try to contact them on IG and ask for more footage if there’s not one of this one already.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh, thank you for sharing some local lovelies! I like the top one, though I'm also unsure about the cut and wish it were certed.

----

No major updates to share this week. I am still waiting to hear from Adam, chrono, and Simon about my various inquiries. I may have to make a decision about the Art Deco L before I get those responses, which is a shame, but the thought of losing the L really pains me (maybe that's a sign?).

Speaking of, I'm going to look at the L again today with the aim to observe the stone itself more critically and compare it to the others I've seen in person since I first found that ring. It's also the (actual) final deadline for the hold, so I'll keep everyone posted!

I think if you are scared of losing it, then it might be the one. I think you have seen a few and know more about what you want so that's all good and it's probably affirmed it for you more than anything! I can't wait to hear your update later today.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I woke up this morning feeling emotional about the outpouring of support and guidance — THANK YOU! I'm across the world from my mom and the majority of my other loved ones, so I've felt been alone in the giddiness of the hunt, and it feels great to share it with enthusiasts such as yourselves.

I will respond to everyone shortly!

BUT FIRST... To quickly potentially complicate matters, I'll add that this is the loose stone I've already been eyeing for a potential reproduction ring. For the stone (GIA certed 1.15 transitional, J, VS2) + the setting I've been quoted $8.6k USD. I've fallen for the faceting, but am not confident about ordering a repro from overseas, am still keen to find something antique if possible, and I'd love to stay closer within budget.

What do you reckon of it, though, experts? Sorry for the bad video captures — it is not listed online for me to link to.

TransitionalCloudy.png TransitionalCloudy2.png Transitional.png Transitional2.png

I love the facet pattern in this stone. But it’s a different flavor from an OEC. This looks to be a transitional

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

----

I am the odd man out but the L looks like it’s going dark. Maybe just the picture as I can’t see the video (it says request access?). Also looks warmer than an L if that matters to you.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
I love the facet pattern in this stone. But it’s a different flavor from an OEC. This looks to be a transitional

Agreed! The pattern is gorgeous, but apples to oranges when compared to the OECs I've been eyeing.

I am the odd man out but the L looks like it’s going dark. Maybe just the picture as I can’t see the video (it says request access?). Also looks warmer than an L if that matters to you.

Whoops — apologies! I've just opened up viewing access to the video again. I think I'm just a bad diamond photographer and kept getting shadows/my black phone case reflected in it as I didn't see any dark areas in person. Curious for your thoughts on the video, though!

Edited to add: I was initially aiming for higher than a K color, but I'm surprised to find that I'm open to the L range, too! It seems to be stone and setting dependent for me.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Agreed! The pattern is gorgeous, but apples to oranges when compared to the OECs I've been eyeing.

Whoops — apologies! I've just opened up viewing access to the video again. I think I'm just a bad diamond photographer and kept getting shadows/my black phone case reflected in it as I didn't see any dark areas in person. Curious for your thoughts on the video, though!

Edited to add: I was initially aiming for higher than a K color, but I'm surprised to find that I'm open to the L range, too! It seems to be stone and setting dependent for me.

It does look nicer in the vid (though it won’t go full screen on me grrrr).

I saw this one - though I don’t know the color - hate that it isn’t mentioned but his prices are usually competitive.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty but warm?

Yes it does look warm but the L looks warm too lol. And idk if this one has a report and what the color actually is.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Yes it does look warm but the L looks warm too lol. And idk if this one has a report and what the color actually is.

I found it! DIA certed (?) OP. So I am guessing that GIA would grade it a warmer color.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock
It does look nicer in the vid (though it won’t go full screen on me grrrr).

I saw this one - though I don’t know the color - hate that it isn’t mentioned but his prices are usually competitive.

This one is definitely my style! I love the shape and the filigree on the sides :kiss2: Great price, too!

However, it does look a warmer than the L I've seen in person (which is confirmed thanks to @lulu_ma's research). It is bordering on too yellow for my taste, but I've asked the seller for a video to take a closer look.

Crystallized Carbon

Rough_Rock

A belated thank you for sharing this one, too! Suchhhh a good price and very pretty, but not quite the style I'm seeking. I really appreciate it, though!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
See if you ask them to hold the ring for couple more days so you can see what antique settings Adam has? It's Yom Kippur so you probably won't hear back from him until tomorrow or Wednesday. Those couple of J stones that he has in your range are very pretty and decently priced.

Meanwhile, are you able go back and take some footage in the shade? The numbers look promising on the L, but it would be great to see the true facet pattern.

@Mreader has a stunning L. The first post in her thread has some great shade pics.

Also, I made a reel that kind of of illustrates what I mean:

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
I think if you are scared of losing it, then it might be the one. I think you have seen a few and know more about what you want so that's all good and it's probably affirmed it for you more than anything! I can't wait to hear your update later today.

Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite - take the chance, release the hold, and if it's still there after you've exhausted the other possibilities, then it's meant to be yours!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite - take the chance, release the hold, and if it's still there after you've exhausted the other possibilities, then it's meant to be yours!

@Crystallized Carbon, I've been thinking the same thing as lovetodream...you don't seem completely sure about the ring and it sounds like you want to explore other options. I just don't think it's a good idea to feel rushed about a decision like this. I was thinking just let the hold expire and see what happens. It probably won't sell right away.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Do you ever think that you will change the setting in the future? If there is even the smallest chance, then you should pick the stone that you really love. There are some really lovely stones in budget for you.

I think you had a tight timeframe? How tight are we talking about?

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just coming here to share what @lulu_ma posted :twisted2:

Love the faceting on that stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results