shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I need to start a "dream trip" fund - I did some poking around on the internet yesterday since I wasn''t feeling well and discovered that it''s going to take me ages to save up for the trip I want. And that''s just the trip! I also want a motorcycle. It''s going to take me so long to save the money...
39.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 9:23:54 AM
Author: ksinger
Date: 4/25/2010 5:55:04 PM
Author: Steal
Date: 4/25/2010 5:17:27 PM
Went to Dallas/Ft Worth this weekend. I lived there 23 years ago, and the traffic was hellish back then. The road system is now even worse, and is truly the 9th level of Hell. Maps fail. Online directions are even MORE full of fail. I was one stressed out camper. Hubs was doing regatta and I don''t sail, and so felt like a 7th wheel...on hellish roads. I''m glad to be home.

Got to go to the Intergem show tho, that was fun. Got some stones.

And for all.....what IS the big deal about Tiffany''s?? I''ve been to one in Kansas City, and now one in Dallas, and I am SO not impressed. What am I missing here??
33.gif
I suppose it is just iconic.

I was so keen to visit when the Dublin store opened and it was such an anti-climax. The store was so dark and the jewellery was just average IMHO. I see much nicer jewels on PS, heck I have nicer stuff than was on display.
Ditto that. I''m glad it''s not just me then. There was another store just across the mall, Eismanns?, and they had stuff to die for. PS-worthy stuff. Big whopping gorgeous stones, fabulous yellow ones, gorgeous pave, pearls, the works. High end and drool worthy. Then to walk across to Tiffany''s was a complete letdown. I guess I''m just not their demographic.
14.gif
I agree with you. The Chicago store does have great lighting, so the stones do look very nice, but overall I''ve never been very impressed with Tiffany. I do have several of their silver bean pieces because I really love that little bean, but otherwise their pieces just don''t do much for me.

When I sold jewelry in college all of the store managers (and owners) I ever met said the same thing: Tiffany is a mid-range jewelry store that appeals to the masses who want to have an item that a particular segment of the public will recognize as being a branded piece.

I do find some of their designs to be quite beautiful, I should say that. But I''ve never been
30.gif
about the whole Tiffany brand.

Tiffany reminds me of Coach. Coach handbags are nice, but not top of the line. Yet, there seem to be a lot of people who like the idea of advertising that they''re carrying a Coach handbag, hence all those logo patterns that they sell. I think it all goes back to that luxury-for-the-masses concept. People feel like they''re buying luxury status with certain brands, perhaps?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 9:25:57 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
mmmm I just ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and it was heavenly. I love rediscovering classic things like that. I can''t believe I don''t make them more often...
Oh, that sounds like heaven. I know what I''m eating for lunch today.

I''m a grape jelly and extra crunchy PB girl, myself. DH is a strawberry jelly and creamy PB guy. It''s amazing that we can make a relationship work.
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 11:25:29 AM
Author: princesss
I need to start a ''dream trip'' fund - I did some poking around on the internet yesterday since I wasn''t feeling well and discovered that it''s going to take me ages to save up for the trip I want. And that''s just the trip! I also want a motorcycle. It''s going to take me so long to save the money...
39.gif
Oooh, what''s your dream trip?

One of my students just bought a motorcycle. She rode it to class last week to show me, and she looked so bad*ss on that thing. I''ve never been into motorcycles myself, but seeing her on it made me reconsider.

I save money by slipping bills into a tin whenever I have a little extra in my pocket. You would be amazed by how quickly it can pile up when you have a specific goal in mind. I knew I wanted to save $1,000 for DH''s 40th birthday, PLUS another $1,000 to give to my sister as a wedding gift, and I saved the first $1,000 within a year. Every time I had some cash and felt tempted to stop and pick up some lunch or something else I didn''t need, that little stash tin stopped me from spending it. It''s a great motivator! (I think I also lost some weight because I stopped buying the odd soda from the vending machines at work, too.)

Now that I think of it, I''ve done the cash tin thing my entire life. I saved $500 for spending money for my trip to the Middle East when I was in high school, and I only made $5.75 an hour back then! I just like how it feels to have that money sitting there *without* having to pull it out of my checking account, it''s like bonus money. (I used to slip one of my $500 bills under my leg when I played Monopoly as a kid, too. That way I always had a backup savings in case funds got too low. I''m a freak.)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I don't think you're strange, I used to do that too, Haven
9.gif
I'd save blue m&ms in my pocket for later, too - only the blue ones. Nowadays I put a couple hundred in a coat pocket for next winter, and even though I always do it I always still forget it's there half a year later so it's a nice surprise.

We have a coin jar from which we got $420 once, I'll have to try the bill tin idea. I'd love to get FI a really nice TV for our wedding, so he can watch his football in super duper high def and whatever else they do and not have him feel guilty about it!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went whale watching yesterday, and actually saw killer whales!!

I definitely want to go again later this summer
1.gif

I'm no kenny or treefrog with a camera but I think this one's just so cool - wild killer whales!

99099ww.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and a really big bird - pelican? - that let me get up close and personal with my lil' elph. We just stared at each other for a good couple of minutes... I backed right off when it started clicking at me though.

99099ww2.jpg

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 1:27:24 PM
Author: yssie
Well I don''t think you''re strange, I used to do that too, Haven
9.gif
I''d save blue m&ms in my pocket for later, too - only the blue ones. Nowadays I put a couple hundred in a coat pocket for next winter, and even though I always do it I always still forget it''s there half a year later so it''s a nice surprise.

We have a coin jar from which we got $420 once, I''ll have to try the bill tin idea. I''d love to get FI a really nice TV for our wedding, so he can watch his football in super duper high def and whatever else they do and not have him feel guilty about it!
wow- i usually just put a $20 in there to find later :)

we had a great coin jar going, and my husband would also put some singles or whatever was in his pocket in it. and then we got robbed
7.gif
and they stole all the change. however, we were able to claim it on the insurance, and we just estimated it was about $250 worth.

growing up, my mom had this HUGE glass jug with a really small opening at the top. it was really easy to just put money in there, but taking it out wasn''t quite as easy, especially as it got really heavy, so it seemed like money never came out, only go in. usually once a year or so, she would wrap all the coins and take it to the bank. occasionally she would use the money from the jug as our milk money to buy a carton of milk at school.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Whose idea was it to have a Hills Marathon on MTV this weekend? Complete.Brain.Rot. LOL, seriously. All I could think about during my run yesterday was getting back to the house to get caught up on the 37 hours of the Hills that I recorded.

Seriously, train wreck. No judgment here, right?
11.gif

Fi and the guys in our "group" of friends are going camping this weekend.

THEY ARE GOING TO FREEZE! Meanwhile the girls are having a girls night, indoors, and are going to have way more fun
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 2:37:06 PM
Author: Strawdermangrl

Whose idea was it to have a Hills Marathon on MTV this weekend? Complete.Brain.Rot. LOL, seriously. All I could think about during my run yesterday was getting back to the house to get caught up on the 37 hours of the Hills that I recorded.

11.gif

Ugh, seriously! While I did not think about The Hills on my run, I am guilty of watching too many episodes.
14.gif

and yssie- West or east coast for whale watching? How cool!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/26/2010 2:51:18 PM
Author: BeachRunner

Date: 4/26/2010 2:37:06 PM
Author: Strawdermangrl

11.gif

Ugh, seriously! While I did not think about The Hills on my run, I am guilty of watching too many episodes.
14.gif

and yssie- West or east coast for whale watching? How cool!
Seasons 1- 3. Vomit. My running partner was like "Lets have dinner" I was all "NO...Umm, I have things to do." She totally called me out on the Hills addiction and then asked if I even let the dog in there to watch me while I fall further into the black hole. LMAO, I told her no, I made him stay outside. True story.
38.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 12:24:41 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 4/26/2010 11:25:29 AM
Author: princesss
I need to start a ''dream trip'' fund - I did some poking around on the internet yesterday since I wasn''t feeling well and discovered that it''s going to take me ages to save up for the trip I want. And that''s just the trip! I also want a motorcycle. It''s going to take me so long to save the money...
39.gif
Oooh, what''s your dream trip?

One of my students just bought a motorcycle. She rode it to class last week to show me, and she looked so bad*ss on that thing. I''ve never been into motorcycles myself, but seeing her on it made me reconsider.

I save money by slipping bills into a tin whenever I have a little extra in my pocket. You would be amazed by how quickly it can pile up when you have a specific goal in mind. I knew I wanted to save $1,000 for DH''s 40th birthday, PLUS another $1,000 to give to my sister as a wedding gift, and I saved the first $1,000 within a year. Every time I had some cash and felt tempted to stop and pick up some lunch or something else I didn''t need, that little stash tin stopped me from spending it. It''s a great motivator! (I think I also lost some weight because I stopped buying the odd soda from the vending machines at work, too.)

Now that I think of it, I''ve done the cash tin thing my entire life. I saved $500 for spending money for my trip to the Middle East when I was in high school, and I only made $5.75 an hour back then! I just like how it feels to have that money sitting there *without* having to pull it out of my checking account, it''s like bonus money. (I used to slip one of my $500 bills under my leg when I played Monopoly as a kid, too. That way I always had a backup savings in case funds got too low. I''m a freak.)
I really want to go on a Safari in Kenya and Tanzania. In the next few weeks I''ll probably open up a "fun stuff" savings account and just set it up on direct deposit from work, and then combine that with your cash jar. I''ve got a piggy bank, but I think that having one for bills would be good. I''ve got to keep working on my emergency fund, but I''m finally at a point where I feel comfortable doing both a big purchase fund and an emergency fund. It''s taken me a while, though.

I''m okay waiting a while for this trip, but I really really want it. I just have to start really living frugally again. I''m geting better, and switching to taking a set amount of cash out each paycheck has made a difference, but I still want to be saving more. I''ve gotten hooked!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeachRunner - west coast - Monterey, CA. It was awesome! Well, at least, it was for FI and I.. a lot of people got seasick though so I assume it wasn't quite as much fun for them
40.gif

princess - our dream honeymoon is either an African Safari or castles in Scotland!! It looks like we'll be doing UK as a safari is just too far out of budget at this point, but it's definitely on my "to do" list!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
am i up early or are you guys up late?
37.gif

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just found out I am going to Mexico for the weekend. Should be fun....Lord knows I need some sun. LOL

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of The Hills - toonniiiiggghhht

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/27/2010 10:57:42 AM
Author: dragonfly411
Speaking of The Hills - toonniiiiggghhht
OMG, how sad is it that I am looking forward to it. HAHAH, I have so much catching up to do before I can watch it, though. Still have like 14 episodes left on my DVR. HAHAH, I.AM.PATHETIC.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 12:16:34 PM

Date: 4/26/2010 9:23:54 AM

Date: 4/25/2010 5:55:04 PM
Author: Steal

Date: 4/25/2010 5:17:27 PM
Went to Dallas/Ft Worth this weekend. I lived there 23 years ago, and the traffic was hellish back then. The road system is now even worse, and is truly the 9th level of Hell. Maps fail. Online directions are even MORE full of fail. I was one stressed out camper. Hubs was doing regatta and I don't sail, and so felt like a 7th wheel...on hellish roads. I'm glad to be home.

Got to go to the Intergem show tho, that was fun. Got some stones.

And for all.....what IS the big deal about Tiffany's?? I've been to one in Kansas City, and now one in Dallas, and I am SO not impressed. What am I missing here??
33.gif
I suppose it is just iconic.

I was so keen to visit when the Dublin store opened and it was such an anti-climax. The store was so dark and the jewellery was just average IMHO. I see much nicer jewels on PS, heck I have nicer stuff than was on display.
Ditto that. I'm glad it's not just me then. There was another store just across the mall, Eismanns?, and they had stuff to die for. PS-worthy stuff. Big whopping gorgeous stones, fabulous yellow ones, gorgeous pave, pearls, the works. High end and drool worthy. Then to walk across to Tiffany's was a complete letdown. I guess I'm just not their demographic.
14.gif
I do find some of their designs to be quite beautiful, I should say that. But I've never been
30.gif
about the whole Tiffany brand.
For years, I LOVED the Tiffany brand. Audrey Hepburn and Breakfast at Tiffany's being a favorite movie of mine. It wasn't until a few years back that the "charm" that I saw slightly faded away, but not died entirely.

I still adore many of their classic pieces and if I won the lotto, I WOULD be spending many dollars in there buying up all the fun stuff I've eyed in their catalogue. (I'm probably one of very few PSers who would do so, I suppose. For their more cute stuff, I would want the "real deal" if I could afford it, rather than a knock off. That said, my DBTY pendant IS a knock off b/c that was what I could afford when I had it designed! I tried on the real ones first and lusted over them!
2.gif
)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC--Audrey Hepburn is my idol! I''ve loved her for as long as I can remember. Breakfast at Tiffany''s and Charade are my favorite movies of hers. Oh, how I love that woman.

Have you seen the Treasures book about her? It''s so cool, they made it look like a scrapbook and it has little pockets filled with reproductions of treasures from her life. (Letters, stubs to shows of hers, etc.) I love it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 12:20:13 PM
MC--Audrey Hepburn is my idol! I''ve loved her for as long as I can remember. Breakfast at Tiffany''s and Charade are my favorite movies of hers. Oh, how I love that woman.

Have you seen the Treasures book about her? It''s so cool, they made it look like a scrapbook and it has little pockets filled with reproductions of treasures from her life. (Letters, stubs to shows of hers, etc.) I love it.
The free spirited nature in her Breakfast at Tiffany''s character is so strong and impactful that I find when I watch that movie, that for a few hours after, I can almost feel as free as Holly Golightly is! Just need a cigarette in a holder
1.gif

I haven''t seen the Treasures book. . .Just looked it up on Amazon. Looks cute, but pricey!

April20

Ideal_Rock
For some reason, I thought it was a good idea to order cube steak at the southern restaurant where I ate lunch today.

It was not a good idea.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 12:52:33 PM
Author: MC
Date: 4/27/2010 12:20:13 PM

The free spirited nature in her Breakfast at Tiffany''s character is so strong and impactful that I find when I watch that movie, that for a few hours after, I can almost feel as free as Holly Golightly is! Just need a cigarette in a holder
1.gif

I haven''t seen the Treasures book. . .Just looked it up on Amazon. Looks cute, but pricey!
Yes! I love Holly Golightly. Have you read the book? It''s great, too.
I JUST donated my Treasures book to the library for a book sale. I wish I would have known, I could have sent it to you!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 1:51:30 PM

Date: 4/27/2010 12:52:33 PM
Author: MC
1.gif

Yes! I love Holly Golightly. Have you read the book? It''s great, too.
I JUST donated my Treasures book to the library for a book sale. I wish I would have known, I could have sent it to you!
Thanks! That would have been wonderful
1.gif
I just ordered the Breakfast one from Amazon, but not the Treasures book. lol I checked the library system in my county and they don''t have it (only Seattle has it and I''m not in that county
7.gif
)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''m being defeated by technology today and I want to scream
emotion-39.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cleaning out the freezer, and I''ve found a baggie of jerky that expired in 2008.

23.gif

1. What is jerky doing in the freezer, and
2. What is it still doing in the freezer!?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
We just put a deposit down on my "real" engagement ring (FI proposed with a .05 ct temporary ring, as he knew that I knew exactly what I wanted and wanted to help pick it out).

I''m so excited and want to tell everyone, but I don''t think anyone IRL would understand.

diamond.4-27.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery, I know the feeling. Technology commonly thwarts me as well!

Congrats, Laine! What setting??

I''m getting my haircut Thursday morning.

London''s dance recital is this weekend. Got her pictures back today for dance and in the group picture she''s got her arms crossed and a half smile/smirk. In the individual picture, she''s got her head at an angle so that it actually looks like her head is photo shopped onto her body. Can''t figure out how she did that. Talent I guess.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 8:40:27 PM
Author: laine
We just put a deposit down on my ''real'' engagement ring (FI proposed with a .05 ct temporary ring, as he knew that I knew exactly what I wanted and wanted to help pick it out).

I''m so excited and want to tell everyone, but I don''t think anyone IRL would understand.
Congrats, it''s to die for gorgeous!!!!
30.gif

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Packrat and Kaleigh! Mark at ERD found the diamond for me (its a .7 E SI1). I''m going to do a bezel similar to Neatfreak''s. I should have it in 3-4 weeks. I set the diamond picture as my desktop background so I can stare at it all the time.
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results