carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 11:30:26 AM
Author: Bleed Burnt Orange
Texas, specifically Houston and Austin, are not hick towns, people! Try Louisiana or Mississippi!
20.gif

You don't hear people saying, 'I went to NY for my cancer treatment'! You know why...it's cause Houston has an IMPRESSIVE medical district. Austin...is the place to be.

Get over it people who think Texas is somehow inferior to the rest of the country, especially northerners and people in Colorado and California.

End rant.
4.gif
Sorry BBO, but I think Texas blows as a state. Of course this is my own humble opinion, and it is coming from your neighbor to the west, but the vast majority of Texans suck.

I should mention here that my mother and her 9 siblings, and many of those sibling's spouses are born and bred Texans. Many of them have stayed in TX. Many of them have procreated in TX. I have spent a LOT of time in TX as a result, so this isn't uneducated. I am extremely lucky that my family is made up of liberal minded people that don't buy into the hype. Did I mention they are all from a little town an hour south of Dallas?

And I'm sorry to say, but TX is a BIG state, and it's not entirely made up of Houston and Austin. And really the only city I give any credit to is Austin.

But this is coming from a New Mexican. We (speaking very generally) don't like TX.

Oh, and W didn't do y'all any favors.

ETA: However, at least people from the rest of the country know you're IN the United States. You have no idea how many times I've been asked about my passport, and why I speak English so well. There is ignorance everywhere.
20.gif

Oh, and my mom went to MD Anderson when her cancer came out of remission. They wanted to do the same thing her oncologist here wanted her to do. She came back home to New Mexico.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:23:23 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved
they must not be from bismarck or grand forks, maybe minot?
I had 400 in my class so contrary to belief, fargo is a pretty big place :) We have 4 public high schools with large populations along with 2 or 3 private schools
Yup!

And Freke- Coming to CO from WV: I''ve gotten more times than I can count, "Where in western VA are you from?" Um, West Virginia IS a state!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:31:13 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Yup!

And Freke- Coming to CO from WV: I've gotten more times than I can count, 'Where in western VA are you from?' Um, West Virginia IS a state!
Nice. When stuff like that happens, I really really really wonder what those people were doing in kindergarten when they were supposed to be learning ALL FIFTY STATES. It really makes me question the school system.

New Mexico is part of the United States. In fact, we were a state before Arizona was a state. PWNED AZ.
3.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
it''s 4.30am - and i *think* i just woke up cause i''m hungry!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:23:43 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 2/24/2010 11:30:26 AM
Texas, specifically Houston and Austin, are not hick towns, people! Try Louisiana or Mississippi!
20.gif

You don''t hear people saying, ''I went to NY for my cancer treatment''! You know why...it''s cause Houston has an IMPRESSIVE medical district. Austin...is the place to be.

Get over it people who think Texas is somehow inferior to the rest of the country, especially northerners and people in Colorado and California.

End rant.
4.gif
Sorry BBO, but I think Texas blows as a state. Of course this is my own humble opinion, and it is coming from your neighbor to the west, but the vast majority of Texans suck.

I should mention here that my mother and her 9 siblings, and many of those sibling''s spouses are born and bred Texans. Many of them have stayed in TX. Many of them have procreated in TX. I have spent a LOT of time in TX as a result, so this isn''t uneducated. I am extremely lucky that my family is made up of liberal minded people that don''t buy into the hype. Did I mention they are all from a little town an hour south of Dallas?

And I''m sorry to say, but TX is a BIG state, and it''s not entirely made up of Houston and Austin. And really the only city I give any credit to is Austin.

But this is coming from a New Mexican. We (speaking very generally) don''t like TX.

Oh, and W didn''t do y''all any favors.

ETA: However, at least people from the rest of the country know you''re IN the United States. You have no idea how many times I''ve been asked about my passport, and why I speak English so well. There is ignorance everywhere.
20.gif

Oh, and my mom went to MD Anderson when her cancer came out of remission. They wanted to do the same thing her oncologist here wanted her to do. She came back home.
Nope, W didn''t do us any favours. I''m not even a native Texan, but, I live here now, Houston specifically and went to school in Austin. I''m more Austin minded.

It is a big state, and I''m aware that Houston and Austin are small in comparisson. However...Houston is still one of the top largest cities in America, and that''s not all full of republicans, or...dare I say it...white, horse ridin, gallon hat wearin, cowboys! yeeehaww! <-- sarcasm.

That''s great that your mom was able to get the same quality of treatment at home than all the way over here. However...my point being, Houston is KNOWN for their cancer facilities that people in other, smaller countries appreciate.

There IS ignorance everywhere. I''m from an island in the Caribbean. I KNOW what it''s like to get the "how do you speak English so well" comment. uhh...it''s my first language!

Since I only can speak for Austin and Houston, I can tell you that there are MANY fitness conscious people, so, now, we''re not all a bunch of fatties that only eat. It''s a big state with a lot of space. It ain''t NY folks, where space is limited. Therefore...bigger restaurants. We know what it''s like to have classy joints with *gasp* tableCLOTHS, and multiple courses!

I really could go on and on, but...pppppppbbbfftttttt!!!!!!!
41.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Freke and BBO- Has this bled over from another thread? Am I missing something?

I''m not really sure where the state bashing came from but it seems a bit out of the ordinary?

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:41:08 PM
Author: meresal

I''m not really sure where the state bashing came from but it seems a bit out of the ordinary?
I''m not bashing another state. I just randomly stated my defense of Texas, thus choosing the random comment thread.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:45:41 PM

I'm not really sure where the state bashing came from but it seems a bit out of the ordinary?
I'm not bashing another state. I just randomly stated my defense of Texas, thus choosing the random comment thread.
I wasn't referring to your post. I was just asking where the whole thing started from... it seemed *extrememly* random, and I was wondering why it drew such a strong response from Freke.
3.gif

At least, now that the interwebs have become bigger, people don't think we take horses to school.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:47:46 PM

I''m not bashing another state. I just randomly stated my defense of Texas, thus choosing the random comment thread.
I wasn''t referring to your post. I was just asking where the whole thing started from... it seemed *extrememly* random, and I was wondering why it drew such a strong response from Freke.
3.gif

At least, now that the interwebs have become bigger, people don''t think we take horses to school.
LOL. Nah, some people prefer their 80 thousand dollar cars with a lotta HORSEpower!
4.gif
tehehe

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:36:26 PM

Since I only can speak for Austin and Houston, I can tell you that there are MANY fitness conscious people, so, now, we''re not all a bunch of fatties that only eat. It''s a big state with a lot of space. It ain''t NY folks, where space is limited. Therefore...bigger restaurants. We know what it''s like to have classy joints with *gasp* tableCLOTHS, and multiple courses!
Another random comment about this topic:

I used to live in WV for 8 yrs, recently moved to CO. Many poeple know that WV is one of the most unhealthy states, and CO is one of the healthiest. Can I just tell you what a HUGE difference lifestyle is between the two states. I''d say about 1 out of 4 ppl in WV are overweight. Many people smoke, and there are a TON of fast food rest. everywhere. In CO, I see more people walking, biking, or running than ever! I see few smokers, and I don''t think I pass a fast food rest. on my way to work.

BBO-I do think Austin is on the list for being one of the healthiest cities.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:47:46 PM
I wasn''t referring to your post. I was just asking where the whole thing started from... it seemed *extrememly* random, and I was wondering why it drew such a strong response from Freke.
3.gif

At least, now that the interwebs have become bigger, people don''t think we take horses to school.
I never thought that until just now and thought... now that would be cool! (as you get off your cell you say... )sorry, but I gotta stable my horse (instead of park your car.)

It actually was a rather sweet thought! Brightened my day!
1.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I do have one issue with TX

When I was 2, I built the most perfect snowman because it had snowed!! when I came home with my mom from the grocery store, all that was left of frosty was a puddle
39.gif
But as this is my only bad experience there, I''d have to say that overall I like it
1.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:54:56 PM

Another random comment about this topic:

I used to live in WV for 8 yrs, recently moved to CO. Many poeple know that WV is one of the most unhealthy states, and CO is one of the healthiest. Can I just tell you what a HUGE difference lifestyle is between the two states. I''d say about 1 out of 4 ppl in WV are overweight. Many people smoke, and there are a TON of fast food rest. everywhere. In CO, I see more people walking, biking, or running than ever! I see few smokers, and I don''t think I pass a fast food rest. on my way to work.

BBO-I do think Austin is on the list for being one of the healthiest cities.
Cool. I think it might be. It does have a lot of outdoor activities that people do regularly.

I do love the fact that there is a lot of hiking and skiing and snowboarding in Colorado. When I go up there, I like to do that stuff. I really wish there was more of that available in Houston. It is more available in Austin. There are a lot of places to run and workout outside in Houston, which is pretty cool.

Date: 2/24/2010 12:34:08 PM
Date: 2/24/2010 12:31:13 PM

Yup!

And Freke- Coming to CO from WV: I've gotten more times than I can count, 'Where in western VA are you from?' Um, West Virginia IS a state!

Nice. When stuff like that happens, I really really really wonder what those people were doing in kindergarten when they were supposed to be learning ALL FIFTY STATES. It really makes me question the school system.

New Mexico is part of the United States. In fact, we were a state before Arizona was a state. PWNED AZ.
3.gif

Have you every watched Ellen where she has the "Know or Go" section of her show or even "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" Oh man oh man... I can't remember exact off hand, but many times people didn't know how many states there were.... 52 states!! That's pretty special IMO.. lol

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:59:18 PM
I do have one issue with TX

When I was 2, I built the most perfect snowman because it had snowed!! when I came home with my mom from the grocery store, all that was left of frosty was a puddle
39.gif
But as this is my only bad experience there, I''d have to say that overall I like it
1.gif
LOL!! Considering this week it''s gone from the 70s to 30s. It must have snowed a lot in Lubbock. Houston missed out on the snow yesterday and about a week or two ago. booo.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I should mention here that my mother and her 9 siblings, and many of those sibling's spouses are born and bred Texans. Many of them have stayed in TX. Many of them have procreated in TX. I have spent a LOT of time in TX as a result, so this isn't uneducated. I am extremely lucky that my family is made up of liberal minded people that don't buy into the hype. Did I mention they are all from a little town an hour south of Dallas?

And I'm sorry to say, but TX is a BIG state, and it's not entirely made up of Houston and Austin. And really the only city I give any credit to is Austin.

But this is coming from a New Mexican. We (speaking very generally) don't like TX.

ETA: However, at least people from the rest of the country know you're IN the United States. You have no idea how many times I've been asked about my passport, and why I speak English so well. There is ignorance everywhere.
20.gif

Oh, and my mom went to MD Anderson when her cancer came out of remission. They wanted to do the same thing her oncologist here wanted her to do. She came back home.
Nope, W didn't do us any favours. I'm not even a native Texan, but, I live here now, Houston specifically and went to school in Austin. I'm more Austin minded.

It is a big state, and I'm aware that Houston and Austin are small in comparisson. However...Houston is still one of the top largest cities in America, and that's not all full of republicans, or...dare I say it...white, horse ridin, gallon hat wearin, cowboys! yeeehaww! <-- sarcasm.

That's great that your mom was able to get the same quality of treatment at home than all the way over here. However...my point being, Houston is KNOWN for their cancer facilities that people in other, smaller countries appreciate.

There IS ignorance everywhere. I'm from an island in the Caribbean. I KNOW what it's like to get the 'how do you speak English so well' comment. uhh...it's my first language!

Since I only can speak for Austin and Houston, I can tell you that there are MANY fitness conscious people, so, now, we're not all a bunch of fatties that only eat. It's a big state with a lot of space. It ain't NY folks, where space is limited. Therefore...bigger restaurants. We know what it's like to have classy joints with *gasp* tableCLOTHS, and multiple courses!

41.gif
Oh, I'm not trying to rile you up, I'm just pointing out that I've been educated in the ways of Texas, and unfortunately for you, the vast majority of Texas speaks more to the rest of the country than Austin or Houston does.

I'm not going to refute that MD Anderson is one of the best cancer centers in the world, but I have to admit, not only did they not offer anything different from the cancer center here in NM, but they also treated my mother quite shoddily. That is neither here nor there-it just is what it is.

I don't know what the beef is with the fitness comment, so I'm guessing it has to do with whatever made you rant in the first place, but my personal beef is with the attitude. Arrogance that their state is best, is the name of the game in TX. Pride comes to mind too. My mom was also a Longhorn, and she also had an inordinate amount of pride for the burnt orange, which to be honest, I don't get. I couldn't care less about my college experience, so that may have something to do with that.

My other issue with Texas is the food, so it's funny that you mentioned that, although my issue is something completely different from what you're talking about. I am/was a chef and I pick up on particulars in cuisine. Tex-Mex is not Mexican. Tex-Mex is not New Mexican. Tex-Mex is Texas' own creation, and frankly we, as NMicans, want nothing to do with it. Don't come to my state thinking all green chiles are jalapenos or poblanos, and that nachos always come with steak. But everywhere has a few nice restaurants.

I also have a cousin from my dad's side that lives there, and numerous friends that have moved to TX for various reasons. TX does have incredibly cheap real estate (a house the size of my dad's is $200k. My dad's? Around $750k--AFTER the real estate drop). And the cost of living is way cheaper than it is here in NM.

Having said all of that, New Mexico knows it's poor, knows it's school system sucks, and knows that the only thing we really have going for us is our culture. We don't have any major cities (I should know, I live in the biggest), or anything that's incredibly significant like medical centers or giant malls or major historical landmarks. We have Roswell, missile ranges, skiing, lots of artists, hippie communities, and a whole bunch of other random stuff.

And there I go on my own rant.

But you still wouldn't be able to get me to move to TX, unless I absolutely have to. And even then, you can bet I'd put up a huge fight and look for any way to get out of it.
3.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm a native Texan (Dallas) born without the 'Texas Pride' gene. My husband, too. We couldn't get out fast enough. We're filthy, tree-hugging hippie liberals, though.
3.gif

I enjoy visiting during the holidays, but I notice that with each new year, the drivers have become even more insane than the last. This year, I came close to a panic attack every time I merged onto a highway. I've lived in Los Angeles (the home of the crazy driver), and I'd say the two cities are comparable when it comes to people who'd benefit from some more Driver's Ed.

On a happy note: I'm making oatmeal cookie dough today! I don't plan to bake it- just enjoy the entire batch raw. (Don't worry, I use an egg substitute.)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
freke, you live in Albuquerque right?
Got any good suggestions for things to see while we are there for the weekend?
DH and I are visiting his aunt and uncle this weekend
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

No intentional state bashing meant here. I was just trying to explain why the vast majority of New Mexicans don''t like Texas in general.

Speaking of, this probably has something to do with all of the "cowboys"/oil tycoons (can''t miss them with their tight jeans, giant shiny belt buckles, giant 10 gallon hats, and cowboy boots that have never seen the flank of a horse) coming to NM from west Texas to get a taste of "the natives".

I wish I were joking.
14.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:14:50 PM
freke, you live in Albuquerque right?
Got any good suggestions for things to see while we are there for the weekend?
DH and I are visiting his aunt and uncle this weekend
9.gif
Yup.

What kind of stuff do you guys want to do? And how much time will you have?

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:08:12 PM

20.gif

Nope, W didn't do us any favours. I'm not even a native Texan, but, I live here now, Houston specifically and went to school in Austin. I'm more Austin minded.

It is a big state, and I'm aware that Houston and Austin are small in comparisson. However...Houston is still one of the top largest cities in America, and that's not all full of republicans, or...dare I say it...white, horse ridin, gallon hat wearin, cowboys! yeeehaww! <-- sarcasm.

That's great that your mom was able to get the same quality of treatment at home than all the way over here. However...my point being, Houston is KNOWN for their cancer facilities that people in other, smaller countries appreciate.

There IS ignorance everywhere. I'm from an island in the Caribbean. I KNOW what it's like to get the 'how do you speak English so well' comment. uhh...it's my first language!

Since I only can speak for Austin and Houston, I can tell you that there are MANY fitness conscious people, so, now, we're not all a bunch of fatties that only eat. It's a big state with a lot of space. It ain't NY folks, where space is limited. Therefore...bigger restaurants. We know what it's like to have classy joints with *gasp* tableCLOTHS, and multiple courses!

41.gif
Oh, I'm not trying to rile you up, I'm just pointing out that I've been educated in the ways of Texas, and unfortunately for you, the vast majority of Texas speaks more to the rest of the country than Austin or Houston does.

I'm not going to refute that MD Anderson is one of the best cancer centers in the world, but I have to admit, not only did they not offer anything different from the cancer center here in NM, but they also treated my mother quite shoddily. That is neither here nor there-it just is what it is.

I don't know what the beef is with the fitness comment, so I'm guessing it has to do with whatever made you rant in the first place, but my personal beef is with the attitude. Arrogance that their state is best, is the name of the game in TX. Pride comes to mind too. My mom was also a Longhorn, and she also had an inordinate amount of pride for the burnt orange, which to be honest, I don't get. I couldn't care less about my college experience, so that may have something to do with that.

My other issue with Texas is the food, so it's funny that you mentioned that, although my issue is something completely different from what you're talking about. I am/was a chef and I pick up on particulars in cuisine. Tex-Mex is not Mexican. Tex-Mex is not New Mexican. Tex-Mex is Texas' own creation, and frankly we, as NMicans, want nothing to do with it. Don't come to my state thinking all green chiles are jalapenos or poblanos, and that nachos always come with steak. But everywhere has a few nice restaurants.

I also have a cousin from my dad's side that lives there, and numerous friends that have moved to TX for various reasons. TX does have incredibly cheap real estate (a house the size of my dad's is $200k. My dad's? Around $750k--AFTER the real estate drop). And the cost of living is way cheaper than it is here in NM.

Having said all of that, New Mexico knows it's poor, knows it's school system sucks, and knows that the only thing we really have going for us is our culture. We don't have any major cities (I should know, I live in the biggest), or anything that's incredibly significant like medical centers or giant malls or major historical landmarks. We have Roswell, missile ranges, skiing, lots of artists, hippie communities, and a whole bunch of other random stuff.

And there I go on my own rant.

But you still wouldn't be able to get me to move to TX, unless I absolutely have to. And even then, you can bet I'd put up a huge fight and look for any way to get out of it.
3.gif
I can get nachos with my steak? Whoa. I don't like nachos though. And yes...I hope others realize that the Tex in Tex-mex stands for Texas as in, made up in Texas.

I roll with habaneros anyway, and I know that NMSU has some crazy hot pepper they came up with...not sure if it's green.

Sorry you hate Texas. I wouldn't move to NM...I like cities. I lived in IL (outside Chicago) and LA (Lafayette...*shudder*). After living in LA, Houston was a dream!

Also...I'm not proud, just conscious of all the crap people say about Texas. I guess I don't fit the stereotype and hate being bunched in with it. I wanna get out of this state just for that reason alone!
15.gif
Until then, I know I can afford a nice house, and a nice healthy lifestyle. I voted for Obama, I'm a Christian. I don't carry a gun. I don't own a tractor. etc. etc. etc.

ETA: I'm not trying to fight btw...I guess I'm just defending myself living in this state, that it's not THAT bad.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
We''ll be there Saturday through Monday
We like museums, anything fun outdoorsy (DH is insisting we bring our golf clubs but I doubt it will be warm enough lol)
His aunt and uncle are pretty well off and live in a large gated community so any chance to do something that will make us feel more comfortable out in the town and not around well off people the whole time is welcome lol
Should definitely be an interesting weekend, that''s for sure
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
BBO: OT (but that's what this thread is about, right?)- Your Ritani is one of my favorite settings of all time.
30.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:18:56 PM
I can get nachos with my steak? Whoa. I don't like nachos though. And yes...I hope others realize that the Tex in Tex-mex stands for Texas as in, made up in Texas.

I roll with habaneros anyway, and I know that NMSU has some crazy hot pepper they came up with...not sure if it's green.

Sorry you hate Texas. I wouldn't move to NM...I like cities. I lived in IL (outside Chicago) and LA (Lafayette...*shudder*). After living in LA, Houston was a dream!

Also...I'm not proud, just conscious of all the crap people say about Texas. I guess I don't fit the stereotype and hate being bunched in with it. I wanna get out of this state just for that reason alone!
15.gif
Until then, I know I can afford a nice house, and a nice healthy lifestyle. I voted for Obama, I'm a Christian. I don't carry a gun. I don't own a tractor. etc. etc. etc.

ETA: I'm not trying to fight btw...I guess I'm just defending myself living in this state, that it's not THAT bad.
Hate is probably too strong of a word. Maybe.
2.gif

Lol! I can't tell you how many Tex-Mex places (they even feature them on the Food Network!) have these piles of chips that are covered in beans with strips of steak and cheese! And then a little iceberg lettuce on top to make it seem healthy. Oh, and the requisite jalapenos. Unfortunately, some places in NM seem to have added this to their menus.
38.gif

BTW, Bobby Flay has done nothing for Southwestern food. That's a whole other topic though.

We have any variety of peppers, and they are coming up with new ones all of the time. They have this "Fiery Food Show" that comes to NM every year and the stuff they come up with is insane. Like a habanero/carrot salsa. Sure, it looks innocent, like carrot baby food. HAH!

You don't seem to fit the stereotype at all so I can totally understand your frustration. Stereotypes suck.

But really, I can't (or shouldn't) talk so much $%@* about Texas because some of my favorite people are from there. They would be none to pleased to read what I've written, but unfortunately most, if not all, of them would agree with a lot of the things I've said.
40.gif

No fight intended here either.
1.gif

ETA: And Albuquerque is almost at 500,000! Woot go us! I think there are less than 2 million people in the whole state, but I'd have to look that up, and I don't think that the numbers that are out there are relevant until the 2010 Census is completed...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Freke,

This is going to be totally random, but I remember not to long ago ''nominating'' your search for a spinel as one of PS'' most entertaining threads. You commented that it might have been fun for some, but it was frustrating for you. I immediately felt bad for even mentioning it. I had no idea.
7.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:28:45 PM
Author: E B
BBO: OT (but that''s what this thread is about, right?)- Your Ritani is one of my favorite settings of all time.
30.gif
Really? Thank you so much. That''s really sweet and made my day.
21.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:36:11 PM

Date: 2/24/2010 1:18:56 PM
I can get nachos with my steak? Whoa. I don''t like nachos though. And yes...I hope others realize that the Tex in Tex-mex stands for Texas as in, made up in Texas.

I roll with habaneros anyway, and I know that NMSU has some crazy hot pepper they came up with...not sure if it''s green.

Sorry you hate Texas. I wouldn''t move to NM...I like cities. I lived in IL (outside Chicago) and LA (Lafayette...*shudder*). After living in LA, Houston was a dream!

Also...I''m not proud, just conscious of all the crap people say about Texas. I guess I don''t fit the stereotype and hate being bunched in with it. I wanna get out of this state just for that reason alone!
15.gif
Until then, I know I can afford a nice house, and a nice healthy lifestyle. I voted for Obama, I''m a Christian. I don''t carry a gun. I don''t own a tractor. etc. etc. etc.

ETA: I''m not trying to fight btw...I guess I''m just defending myself living in this state, that it''s not THAT bad.
Hate is probably too strong of a word. Maybe.
2.gif

Lol! I can''t tell you how many Tex-Mex places (they even feature them on the Food Network!) have these piles of chips that are covered in beans with strips of steak and cheese! And then a little iceberg lettuce on top to make it seem healthy. Oh, and the requisite jalapenos. Unfortunately, some places in NM seem to have added this to their menus.
38.gif

BTW, Bobby Flay has done nothing for Southwestern food. That''s a whole other topic though.

We have any variety of peppers, and they are coming up with new ones all of the time. They have this ''Fiery Food Show'' that comes to NM every year and the stuff they come up with is insane. Like a habanero/carrot salsa. Sure, it looks innocent, like carrot baby food. HAH!

You don''t seem to fit the stereotype at all[/b] so I can totally understand your frustration. Stereotypes suck.

But really, I can''t (or shouldn''t) talk so much $%@* about Texas because some of my favorite people are from there. They would be none to pleased to read what I''ve written, but unfortunately most, if not all, of them would agree with a lot of the things I''ve said.
40.gif

No fight intended here either.
1.gif

ETA: And Albuquerque is almost at 500,000! Woot go us! I think there are less than 2 million people in the whole state, but I''d have to look that up, and I don''t think that the numbers that are out there are relevant until the 2010 Census is completed...
I went to a hot sauce festival (small one) thing here last year. I tried a sauce that came in a little bottle. I tried about ONE drop and ohhhh man, a snow cone, water and I can''t remember what else, and about two hours later, my stomach settled down. It had jolokia, and two other HOT peppers in it. I LOVE spicy! I was weaned on spicy in Trinidad.
18.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:20:00 PM
We''ll be there Saturday through Monday
We like museums, anything fun outdoorsy (DH is insisting we bring our golf clubs but I doubt it will be warm enough lol)
His aunt and uncle are pretty well off and live in a large gated community so any chance to do something that will make us feel more comfortable out in the town and not around well off people the whole time is welcome lol
Should definitely be an interesting weekend, that''s for sure
1.gif
I HATE MY COMPUTER.

Ok.

Do they live in Tanoan by chance?

I''d hit up Old Town for sure. There are tons of shops and things to see, while getting a feel for what old New Mexican culture, which is still relevant to today. I would think it''d be too cold to go to the peak. It''s covered in snow, and it''s only supposed to be 55ish degrees during the day.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:40:48 PM
Author: E B
Freke,

This is going to be totally random, but I remember not to long ago ''nominating'' your search for a spinel as one of PS'' most entertaining threads. You commented that it might have been fun for some, but it was frustrating for you. I immediately felt bad for even mentioning it. I had no idea.
7.gif
Hey EB (Lol! When did that happen?!) Don''t worry about it! It was frustrating, and a bit of a PITA, but ultimately it was worth it. And it was entertaining--for sure, and that makes me happy. I am glad that I have something to reference when people want to find a stone, and think it''s immediate gratification, the way it usually is with diamonds (you know what I mean
3.gif
).

I''m a BIG FAN of instant gratification, so it was a much needed lesson in patience.
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say that I was born here in Texas, and am very proud to be a Texan.
9.gif

FYI- Freke: Beef on top of nachos with a little bit of lettuce are called Beef/Steak Nachos, not steak with nachos. Trust me, we know what a steak is in Texas, and it certainly doesn't come in strips.
2.gif

(Not that I am any more educated on steaks, just because I am from Texas, I am just pointing out that Texans do not consider that plate a steak.)

ETA: Steak Nachos with Queso pured over the top is the epitome of Tex-Mex and I it!!!
18.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results