shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Help find a Padparadscha for an engagement ring.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
TL said:
"Padparadscha sapphire is a variety of corundum from any geographical origin whose colour is a subtle
mixture of pinkish orange to orangey pink with pastel tones and low to medium saturations when
viewed in standard daylight."

I used the LM stone as a reference as not being saturated enough for him since he said that is what his gf liked. I wasn't talking about trade ideal pads.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
forgive me if you have already done this, but if you do a search here in Colored stones for " padparadscha" you will find many threads on the subject that discuss heating v. unheated, origin and its importance v. influence on price, the sometimes seemingly random criteria that even agl applies to the designation and more. It would be helpful for you to have all that information at you disposal to be able to make decisions on how much you need heated v. unheated, or agl designated pad, v. pinkishy orangy that work for you.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I jut looked back at the first stone in your original post. I am shocked and dismayed that GRs gave it the "PAD" designation. This will surely hurt their reputation. When I buy a brownstone I need to be able to live in it!

saracen

Shiny_Rock
VapidLapid|1402452404|3690562 said:
forgive me if you have already done this, but if you do a search here in Colored stones for " padparadscha" you will find many threads on the subject that discuss heating v. unheated, origin and its importance v. influence on price, the sometimes seemingly random criteria that even agl applies to the designation and more. It would be helpful for you to have all that information at you disposal to be able to make decisions on how much you need heated v. unheated, or agl designated pad, v. pinkishy orangy that work for you.

I have done that, actually. Problem is, it feels like I know less now than before. I guess in the end it's like a lot of folks say: 'buy what you like and don't worry about heating'. It's tough to know what the value of something like this should be. Especially the Finewater stone. What would be the cost of it, if it wasn't heated, etc. I've never purchased something so subjective.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
saracen|1402506284|3690971 said:
What do you all think of this stone: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-8-padparadscha-sapphires/p-53849-oval-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2412/

I know it's well out of my price range, but let's say (hypothetically) it wasn't. And just wondering what you all think. For some reason the flat top is strange looking. Just me?
It's pretty brown and it has a huge window, which means that you won't see any sparkle in the middle. See the attached image.

I mentioned before that NSC had either stones with unattractive color or stones with terrible cutting. I wouldn't pursue anything on their page.

window_1.jpg

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Yeah. I remember NSC not being favored here. Thanks for the 'window' description.

I contacted a jeweler yesterday and he actually is able to get me that stone for a significant discount and therefore was wondering. I'll probably tell him to stay away from NSC. At least for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brown and hugely windowed. For that budget, I would rather get a pinkish brown diamond instead.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1402507002|3690991 said:
Brown and hugely windowed. For that budget, I would rather get a pinkish brown diamond instead.
I went and looked at Leibish for fun, but everything there is nicer than the color on the NSC sapphire, unfortunately. And holy crap, I always get sticker shock when I look at FCD.

Just made me think of the perfect pad peachy goodness of Kenny's diamond.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1402507419|3691005 said:
Chrono|1402507002|3690991 said:
I went and looked at Leibish for fun, but everything there is nicer than the color on the NSC sapphire, unfortunately. And holy crap, I always get sticker shock when I look at FCD.

Just made me think of the perfect pad peachy goodness of Kenny's diamond.

What's FCD, Frekechild?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FCD = fancy coloured diamond.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1402507629|3691008 said:

Ohhh. :)

I feel like I'm paying more for something that's not as rare with Diamonds. Maybe not FCDs.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402507769|3691013 said:

I feel like I'm paying more for something that's not as rare with Diamonds. Maybe not FCDs.

Diamonds are not rare at all, especially white ones. You can even readily find pinks and other fancy colors too. However, finding a nice untreated padparadscha with Ceylon origin, is like looking for a needle in a haystack as far as I'm concerned.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
TL|1402508063|3691017 said:

Diamonds are not rare at all, especially white ones. You can even readily find pinks and other fancy colors too. However, finding a nice untreated padparadscha with Ceylon origin, is like looking for a needle in a haystack as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't want to say that and open up a can of worms since I don't know much about either. :bigsmile:

I'm rapidly finding out the difficulty of buying a pad though. Still thinking of getting the Finewater one and looking at it in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402508508|3691024 said:
TL|1402508063|3691017 said:

I didn't want to say that and open up a can of worms since I don't know much about either. :bigsmile:

I'm rapidly finding out the difficulty of buying a pad though. Still thinking of getting the Finewater one and looking at it in person.

Here's another lovely padparadscha. The owner of the stone originally found it from a 1920's ring, so its an old stone. I love the orangy color, without brown, which is so hard to find these days.

It's just another stone to show you so you get an idea of what a fine padparadscha can look like.

pad_new_hand2.jpg

art%20nouveau%20pad.png

Good luck, and make sure the stone you get wows you, because if it doesn't, I don't care what the pedigree is, it's just not worth it.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL.

Definitely want it to wow her. :)

I think there's been a lot of confusion about the 'no pink' that I had mentioned. She did love the Finewater and Africagems (oval) ones. They both have some pink in them but they don't exhibit that 'hot pink' that I've seen in a lot of them. I think I (and she) love the ones that have the pink go into the orange and have a very complex color range. And like everyone says, one has to see them in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402509164|3691038 said:
Thanks TL.

Definitely want it to wow her. :)

I think there's been a lot of confusion about the 'no pink' that I had mentioned. She did love the Finewater and Africagems (oval) ones. They both have some pink in them but they don't exhibit that 'hot pink' that I've seen in a lot of them. I think I (and she) love the ones that have the pink go into the orange and have a very complex color range. And like everyone says, one has to see them in person.

What your girlfriend likes is what is so incredibly difficult to find. She has expensive taste. ;-) I agree, I don't think the more hot pink ones are worth it.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
LOL. Best part is, that she didn't even know it was that rare. :roll:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which of the Finewater and Africagems did she prefer?

Man, this is so difficult. Pad sapphires suck. In a good way. They're just so hard to find a good one!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
saracen|1402511102|3691068 said:
FrekeChild|1402510635|3691059 said:
Which of the Finewater and Africagems did she prefer?

Man, this is so difficult. Pad sapphires suck. In a good way. They're just so hard to find a good one!

So damn difficult. :shock:

The ones from the beginning of this thread.

3.54ct http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html
1.75ct http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-padparadsha-ja228.html
I think those two are the best of the ones we have found.

This is kind of random, but I just remembered seeing a few here:

http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Sapphire1.htm

1.4ct, 3/4 of the way down the page, very under budget. But pretty!

all_that_glitters_pad_sapphire.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful!!! but under budget :shock:

I am not sure whether this stone has an even color distribution - orange with a small pink area??

But very interesting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1402517702|3691139 said:

Beautiful!!! but under budget :shock:

I am not sure whether this stone has an even color distribution - orange with a small pink area??

But very interesting.

I never ever saw anyone complaining about a ring being UNDER budget. Consider yourself very fortunate if you can find a beautiful ring and stone for under budget. :))

Besides no one has to know how much you spent. ;-)

I certainly won't tell.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
"I like the finewater pad!"

"No - we take this one - it is smaller but cheaper!"

:angryfire: :angryfire:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the vid comes back promising with the Africa gems one. Its beautiful in color and under budget. Leaves youenoigh to get a nice setting (I don't know how much you've already put away but side stones can get $$$$)

saracen

Shiny_Rock
I like under budget. A lot. :naughty:

But I do want something that at least looks around 3ct. I noticed the africagems one has good face dimensions to it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402524697|3691199 said:
I like under budget. A lot. :naughty:

But I do want something that at least looks around 3ct. I noticed the africagems one has good face dimensions to it.
Don't get caught up on size. Color is king. A big bland colored stone won't pop like a beautifully colored smaller stone.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
That's true Niel. I guess I just don't want it to disappear on her. So what you say makes sense.

I do still like the Finewater one the best. Gary is actually getting the origin on it. It should take about 2 weeks and I'll have one week from arrival to decide if I want to keep it. Very nice guy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results