shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Help find a Padparadscha for an engagement ring.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1403373591|3698104 said:
Elliot86|1403373442|3698103 said:
saracen|1403372169|3698090 said:
Trying to work that out now. I'm a bit scared of transferring that much money via paypal so I'm trying to meet him somewhere.

Could you not do a wire transfer through your bank?

Yes, I can. Is that safe though? I figured once it's transferred that's it? No recourse if anything goes wrong.

In my experience banks have a pretty stringent verification process to send or receive funds. I know you don't "know" Gary, but many PSers have dealt with him during the purchase of gems. It is a lot of money, but I would have complete confidence in trusting him and the wire transfer process.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand that you have not developed the same level of trust that many of us have with Gary of Finewatergems but I would have no issues doing a wire transfer to him.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1403538208|3699205 said:
I understand that you have not developed the same level of trust that many of us have with Gary of Finewatergems but I would have no issues doing a wire transfer to him.

Thanks Chrono. I've asked him for just a couple more videos/photos and then will actually do that. Meeting up just didn't work out.

I'm still a bit concerned about the price tag, since some folks here mentioned it's a bit much for a heated stone. I know it's very subjective and comes down to not just carat weight, but also color, cut, etc.

Never thought this would be so difficult. :shock:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Colored stones are very difficult to find if you have your heart set on a specific treatment, size, specific color, cut, and price. For higher priced stones like sapphire, ruby, emerald, and some colors of spinel, one has to be very patient, lucky, and/or have a healthy budget. It's also true for certain in-demand colors/sources of tourmaline and garnet.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1403539215|3699216 said:
Colored stones are very difficult to find if you have your heart set on a specific treatment, size, specific color, cut, and price. For higher priced stones like sapphire, ruby, emerald, and some colors of spinel, one has to be very patient, lucky, and/or have a healthy budget. It's also true for certain in-demand colors/sources of tourmaline and garnet.

Quickly realizing this. :???:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1403539215|3699216 said:

It's hard enough for sapphire, ruby, ruby and some spinel, just multiply that difficulty 10 to 100x for fine padparadshas.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I actually don't think that the price is too high. Esp for a pad on your timeline, expectations of quality, etc.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
royalstarrynight|1403556777|3699414 said:
I actually don't think that the price is too high. Esp for a pad on your timeline, expectations of quality, etc.

I agree. Based on what you've written here, I think that at this point, you need to see Gary's pad in person. I have bought from Gary before (though admittedly not anywhere near what this gem costs), but honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Gary even at this price point. He is, in fact, one of the few vendors that I'd feel comfortable spending that level of cash with.

I hope you get the chance to see this gem in person; it seems like it may well be ideal for what you're looking for. Best of luck on your search.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the encouragement all. :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1403538053|3699199 said:

:love: That is a really pretty, classic ring with a pretty pad, and IMO a great option because it can be paired with a plain band or beautifully accented by a delicate blingy one, depending on her mood. I would not let the fact it was preloved stop you from considering it. Any wear it might have can probably be easily polished to look brand new.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagerly awaiting photos so I can live vicariously through others :) :) hope it meets your expectations!

saracen

Shiny_Rock
A couple more photos of the side view. Quite deep, which makes me worry about it in a setting.

0540-5_1.jpg
0540-6.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We talked about that before? 6.5mm is deep, but not outrageously so. You'd need a custom setting anyway, so I'm not entirely sure why that would be a super huge concern.

I almost feel like you're looking for reasons to not buy this stone. Does your GF like it? Do you like it? What's the hesitation really about?

saracen

Shiny_Rock
I know, I know. I feel the same way. Maybe it's because I'm buying this for the first time. Not sure. I know what you're saying and don't disagree at all. I do want her to have a beautiful stone though.

Going to see a jeweler tomorrow night to discuss ring options and will see if he can show me what it would roughly look like based on dimensions.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a big purchase. And it's extra scary because pads sort of have this crazy mythical reputation and are super rare. I think diamonds are FAR easier to buy for engagement rings than any colored stones. What size ring does she have?

Gary is a good guy. And he has a return policy of 7 days.

(I'm glad you didn't take my above post as being abrasive, I'm genuinely wondering what's up!)

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, he is.

No way. Not taking any offense at all. I'd be wondering myself. Heck, I AM wondering myself. All of you are being so nice to me here, I basically owe everyone a beer. :lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there something wrong with my monitor? That looks... brown.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Elliot86|1403631472|3700132 said:

I think it's the photos. The videos showed a much more pink/orange color.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1403631549|3700133 said:
Elliot86|1403631472|3700132 said:

I think it's the photos. The videos showed a much more pink/orange color.

Phew!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
@saracen

Can you post a video?

saracen

Shiny_Rock
The links to the videos are below. thanks.

saracen|1402359638|3689783 said:
Just spoke with Gary from Finewater Gems. Very nice guy. He actually honored the original $15,000 price. :)
Let me know what you all think? I'll have 7 days to decide.

Here are two Videos of the Padparadscha:

Indoors:
View My Video

Outdoors:
View My Video

0540-4_3.jpg

scan_copy.jpg

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
happy to see you made the correct choice here, nice stone
depth looks normal for a sapphire...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen a lot of colored gemstones in person? I found that seeing as many red stones as possible made me feel more confident about buying a red stone. While it's difficult to find a pad in person, it may help you to see a bunch of sapphires in person to get a feel for how they are cut, what depth they have, and what qualities sapphire have. They are very different from diamonds.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1403673027|3700616 said:
Have you seen a lot of colored gemstones in person? I found that seeing as many red stones as possible made me feel more confident about buying a red stone. While it's difficult to find a pad in person, it may help you to see a bunch of sapphires in person to get a feel for how they are cut, what depth they have, and what qualities sapphire have. They are very different from diamonds.

Just saw a couple on Tuesday. One had a huge window and the other wasn't too impressive. The Finewater one is on its way to me though. I will have it Monday! :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monday seems like such a long time away. :(sad

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I am sooo excited for you (and for pictures :Up_to_something: ).

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Soooooo...... since it's Monday (although it might be early depending on your time zone), I had to ask, any photos yet? (Not that I'm impatiently refreshing the page or anything!) :lol: :Up_to_something:

saracen

Shiny_Rock
VirginiaZee|1404139672|3703750 said:
Soooooo...... since it's Monday (although it might be early depending on your time zone), I had to ask, any photos yet? (Not that I'm impatiently refreshing the page or anything!) :lol: :Up_to_something:

It's sitting at the Post Office and I don't get off until 4pm. Will definitely take some photos tonight. :bigsmile:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
saracen|1404140419|3703754 said:
VirginiaZee|1404139672|3703750 said:

It's sitting at the Post Office and I don't get off until 4pm. Will definitely take some photos tonight. :bigsmile:

Yay :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results