shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Help find a Padparadscha for an engagement ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html
This one has potential and if under consideration, I would ask for a hand shot as well as another one taken against a more neutral background (more natural picture that one will see the stone as more often, rather than a glamour shot).

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/3-dot-35ct-unheated-agl-certified-padparadscha-sapphire
This one also has potential but my concern is that the sale is final AND there is clarity enhancement that warrants further questioning.

http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-padparadsha-ja228.html
This has been suggested twice above and for good reason. It also comes with a reputable lab report so that's already taken care of.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Wow. Woke up this morning to a ton of new posts. :)

I'm guessing the thing in Tucson is the Gem show? Yeah, 8 months is a bit too far out. Really want to get it all by this fall or end of year latest.

As far as the pinkish-orange thing goes. She is not a fan of the very pink looking ones. It's not because of what's more popular. We didn't even know that one was more popular than the other until reading about it. She doesn't have one pink accessory. Not her thing. To be fair, she would be happy with anything I give or even if nothing at all. It's me that wants to give her exactly what she likes (not necessarily wants). I'm the picky one here. lol.

I'm definitely looking at the fine water one now. ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402321327|3689328 said:
Wow. Woke up this morning to a ton of new posts. :)

I'm guessing the thing in Tucson is the Gem show? Yeah, 8 months is a bit too far out. Really want to get it all by this fall or end of year latest.

As far as the pinkish-orange thing goes. She is not a fan of the very pink looking ones. It's not because of what's more popular. We didn't even know that one was more popular than the other until reading about it. She doesn't have one pink accessory. Not her thing. To be fair, she would be happy with anything I give or even if nothing at all. It's me that wants to give her exactly what she likes (not necessarily wants). I'm the picky one here. lol.

I'm definitely looking at the fine water one now. ;-)

So if she doesn't like pink, which is what it sounds like, why are you even going for a padparadcha? Why not a nice blue sapphire, or something else? I think it's going to be very time consuming, expensive, and it could be very risky going for that type of gem. You can easily be duped if you don't know what a fine quality stone looks like in person. There's so many beautiful colors of gems out there, even some gorgeous green and orange colors in garnets. I have heard, by experts in the field, that one should only buy a padparadcha if they're going with a padparadcha expert.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402321327|3689328 said:
To be fair, she would be happy with anything I give or even if nothing at all. It's me that wants to give her exactly what she likes (not necessarily wants). I'm the picky one here. lol.

These sentences are what made me pause a little. Colour is extremely personal and for an e-ring, I would not want to make any presumptions. Are you 100% sure she'll love to wear a pink orange stone 24/7 for the rest of her life? Are you also sure she looks great with this colour? Orange pink does not look good on me and disappears on my hand, regardless of setting. If the answer to my two questions are yes, then all is good. If not, I would rethink the idea of a pink orange stone.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
I hear you (both concerns).

As far as buying from an expert. My guess is Fine Water Gems is an expert? He's coming highly recommended in this forum.

As far as the color goes. She saw the stone and loved the color. I've seen Padparadschas range dramatically in color and I know she won't like one that looks 'just pink'. I would actually say the color is more of an orange/amber/yellow-ish. But that's me.

Oh and she's a bit darker skin. We're both from Southern Asia, so think Indian/Pakistani -ish (I don't have an AGL report on me, yet.) ;-)
So, I think the color will look amazing on her.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402322731|3689347 said:
I hear you (both concerns).

As far as buying from an expert. My guess is Fine Water Gems is an expert? He's coming highly recommended in this forum.

As far as the color goes. She saw the stone and loved the color. I've seen Padparadschas range dramatically in color and I know she won't like one that looks 'just pink'. I would actually say the color is more of an orange/amber/yellow-ish. But that's me.

Oh and she's a bit darker skin. We're both from Southern Asia, so think Indian/Pakistani -ish (I don't have an AGL report on me, yet.) ;-)
So, I think the color will look amazing on her.

If you're considering the Finewater gem, I highly recommend you look at photos of it in various light sources, on a more neutral background, like the hand, or a whiter card. The dark background it is currently on makes it more "glowy" in the photo. Ask him for additional pictures. He's a reputable vendor. I don't know if he's a padparadcha expert though. He's a lapidary for the most part.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL. Already have two videos from him. :)

saracen

Shiny_Rock
oh and they are in natural light with the stone on hand.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great, how does it look?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1402312804|3689264 said:
TL|1402281800|3689102 said:
I actually like the loupetroupe stone quite a bit. I happen to like silky and hazy padparadchas because they can get a beautiful "glow" in person. I do think that the AGL report should show what the "clarity enhancement" comments are. The seller, OTL, is a member of pricescope as well. She sometimes posts here. One must be careful though if sales are final on Loupetroupe, as they often are, but if that's a 3+ carat unheated padparadcha from Sri Lanka, I think its a very good deal.

As for the finewater stone, it's pretty too, but I would ask him to photograph it against a whiter background, and also in natural light. One should see these stones in various light sources, and that goes for the loupetroupe stone as well.

I'm a fan of the LT one too, it reminds me of Widget's old one with the silk. Yum.

The Finewater one is gorgeous too. I didn't suggest it because I thought it might be out of budget but if not I hope someone buys it and posts endless pictures :love:

I like it also. It reminds me of this one from Christies.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-padparadscha-sapphire-and-diamond-4712580-details.aspx?intObjectID=4712580

The thing is that I don't see much brown in it, which often plagues these gems. I love silky sapphires too, but I know its a matter of taste. The Finewater gem looks nice too.

d4712580r_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1402315262|3689277 said:
Here is another from AfricaGems. Not sure if the certificate is ideal but I know they are a reputable vendor here and I love the color.

How did I miss this? Very nice too, but again, one should view it in different light sources. One photo never suffices.

This is a very nice stone too, if you're willing to accept African material, which can be a very good buy. It's also well cut.

http://www.africagems.com/radiant-sapphire-ic-sa-1683.html

saracen

Shiny_Rock
TL|1402323774|3689363 said:
That's great, how does it look?

It's very pretty. I think it will look great on her. I think it's a stone that would look great on someone with medium brown skin tone. :)

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1402326824|3689401 said:
http://www.realgems.org/edelsteine_liste/pic/pangaea.jpg

Long time ago....

I like the radiant too - the price is interesting and GRS certificate - not bad!

Hi Marlow,

are you referring to the fine water one? What's interesting about the price? High/low? Just curious.

The Fine Water one has an AGL prestige report. It shows "Low Temperature Heating" and "pinkish orange"

Interesting map by the way. I should start digging in Antarctica. :lol:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
First - antartica would be interesting but f*** ing cold. But I believe that there a a lot of gems. But we need the ice!!

The finewater stone is a very good choice - the price reflects the size and low heat. The cutting is very good. You have more pics and a video. So if you still like it .....the size and shape is perfect for a ring!!!

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1402330452|3689464 said:
First - antartica would be interesting but f*** ing cold. But I believe that there a a lot of gems. But we need the ice!!

The finewater stone is a very good choice - the price reflects the size and low heat. The cutting is very good. You have more pics and a video. So if you still like it .....the size and shape is perfect for a ring!!!

Thanks Marlow. You're right. We do need the ice. Melting way too fast.

I will be talking with Gary of Finewater tonight and will report back tomorrow. :)

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Just spoke with Gary from Finewater Gems. Very nice guy. He actually honored the original $15,000 price. :)
Let me know what you all think? I'll have 7 days to decide.

Here are two Videos of the Padparadscha:

Indoors:
View My Video

Outdoors:
View My Video

0540-4_3.jpg

scan_copy.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. I like the indoor color the best. You may want the recipient to see this stone in different light conditions before buying. For $15K, I am not sure I like the outdoor color as much as I expected for a pad.

I have a peach Umba sapphire that is similar to this. It turns yellowish peach outside, and is peach inside in daylight. At night, however, it shifts to a light pink.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402359638|3689783 said:
Just spoke with Gary from Finewater Gems. Very nice guy. He actually honored the original $15,000 price. :)
Let me know what you all think? I'll have 7 days to decide.

Here are two Videos of the Padparadscha:

Indoors:
View My Video

Outdoors:
View My Video

0540-4_3.jpg

scan_copy.jpg

The only thing is that I don't understand why he didn't get origin requested on the report. You're paying a premium for the fact that it's probably from Sri Lanka, you need that assurance from the AGL report.

Other than that, it's a pretty stone, more orangy yellowish than pink though. The cut is also incredibly deep, which I understand is common with sapphires. You're not going to have the face up size that you're paying for in carat weight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1402315386 said:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/3-dot-35ct-unheated-agl-certified-padparadscha-sapphire
This one also has potential but my concern is that the sale is final AND there is clarity enhancement that warrants further questioning.

She must have seen this thread because she just updated the listing to state it's not treated at all. Evidently the AGL reports always say "Clarity Enhancement" first, and then in this case, it probably says "None" as in the Finewater AGL report.

I wish the origin was on the report, but for the price, it's a good deal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't realize it was that deep.

Consider how high that'll sit on top of her finger. And it doesn't face up all that large. Consider the oval africagems one. Its cheaper, a lovely color, and really doesn't face up that much smaller.

That ring will have to sit SO high off her finger I dont think I'd want that for an everyday ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1402363047|3689824 said:

Consider how high that'll sit on top of her finger. And it doesn't face up all that large. Consider the oval africagems one. Its cheaper, a lovely color, and really doesn't face up that much smaller.

That ring will have to sit SO high off her finger I dont think I'd want that for an everyday ring

Well, if he really loves the FInewater gem, I would negotiate the price down. It's a bit too expensive per carat for a heated pad with small face up size when you compare it with other UNHEATED padparadcha gems on the Africagems site, with similar color and carat weight, but better face up. Africagems is not an inexpensive dealer either. Also the "no origin" on the AGL is a deal breaker for me at that price per carat. You really need origin for that price point.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1402363213|3689827 said:
Niel|1402363047|3689824 said:

Well, if he really loves the FInewater gem, I would negotiate the price down. It's a bit too expensive per carat for a heated pad with small face up size when you compare it with other UNHEATED padparadchagems on the Africagems site, with similar color and carat weight, but better face up. Africagems is not an inexpensive dealer either.

True . Though he's already coming down a few thousand . never hurts to ask .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
. deleted post. . .

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think it is beautiful, certainly a rare find, Gary is a gem of a vendor himself. I don't know though. Something about the stone isn't giving me that wow factor magic feeling. I do think padparadschas glow their best with silk. I know that monitors often don't display stones at their best. With the right setting this could definitely be the one :appl:

Either way it is definitely worthy of cracking the champagne!

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks All.

Damn. Now I'm kind of having second thoughts. I never even thought about how high it would sit. We had gone to a local jeweler to check out some rings and that was actually a concern of hers. So now....Kind of left with a conundrum. I'm hearing it's a bit pricey for what it is and it would sit too high. I haven't bought it yet, and even if I did, Gary has a 7 day return policy. Going to sleep on it first.

:confused:

Oh, and I did ask about the origin. Apparently he didn't think the $200 extra was worth it since he bought it in Sri Lanka a few miles from the mine and he says African ones are more brownish. He's 100% sure it's Sri Lankan.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
saracen|1402369825|3689897 said:
Oh, and I did ask about the origin. Apparently he didn't think the $200 extra was worth it since he bought it in Sri Lanka a few miles from the mine and he says African ones are more brownish. He's 100% sure it's Sri Lankan.

My Umba peach sapphire from Peter Torraca has no brown. When I bought it, he specifically said no brown, and I don't see any brown in person. Outside, it turns a peach yellow which is almost the same as my skin tone. When I set it, I am planning to put it in rose gold to push the color towards peach/pink, and I will probably halo it to make it stand out against my skin tone.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
By the way, the Africagems one that many suggested states in the description it is pinkish-orange, but the certificate states pink-orange. Would this be considered the same thing?

It's about 2mm shallower and only 1mm less wide than the finewater one (yet half the carat weight), so I think it will sit much shallower.

TL, is there an issue with this stone having an AGTA report vs AGL?

cheers!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Regarding this stone from AfricaGems:

I love the color, but not the cut. I like ovals, but the cut looks asymmetrical, and that would drive me bananas. I also like ovals that are not so thin and long. I feel like fatter ovals are more aesthetically appealing when the stone is below 3 carats.

For a pad to hold it's maximum value, it needs to come with paperwork that it is from Sri Lanka.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. 6.5mm is not that high off the finger as far as these things go! Have the stone set as low as possible. My highest set ring is roughly 10mm from the finger (and these are my reasonably sized rings, not my 8+ ct blue topaz, which is 14-15mm high) and my lowest set ring (my engagement ring) is about 4mm off the finger. One of my favorite rings, a supernova spinel, is set about 6.5mm off the finger, and it's never something that I'd consider bothersome. Have the jeweler set it "as low as possible" and "with the culet just above her finger" and you're good to go.

Just for fun, single best pad sapphire ring I've seen: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-by-richard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege.127094/

tgal_s_2.jpg

tgal_pad.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results