shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG chunky cushions - design opinions please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 7:53:18 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 6/21/2009 7:18:45 AM

Author: arjunajane

Considering the confusion I encountered with CM so far, and because the didn''t have *exactly* what I was after

in the archives, I decided to draw it, and thought I''d post it here for suggestions/approval or non..?

The side sections holding the diamonds would also ideally be in plat..

what do you guys think?
I think it''s perfect!
30.gif
Seriously lovin it aj.

I''m so glad everything seems to be going smoothly, you''re getting there!

Hey Ellen,
thankyou for your thoughts, I''m glad you like the design.
I wouldn''t say much of the process has gone smoothly, lol - but everything is working itself out slowly.
Thanks for your support!
13.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 11:43:53 AM
Author: gemgirl
AJ, you are just too cute for words! I love your drawing! I think your ring will end up looking fabulous.

I know you''re a little undecided about milgraining, but this is what I would do. Look at the two rings that don''t have those edges milgrained. The borders of the sections where the small diamonds are set is kind of wavy and uneven. For me, that''s not what I would want to see every time I looked down at my hand. I don''t think I''d do milgraining on this ring but I would ask that a small flat platinum rim be put around the section where the small diamonds will lie to give it a clean definite edge and also to mimic the bezel around the center stone(but to a smaller degree). It''s just an idea. Wavy gold work makes me crazy and I''ll bet it would haunt you too!

ha ha, thanks GG - I hope it doesn''t look like I''ve got too much time on my hands, lol..
A smooth border/rim to emulate the bezel is a good idea, thankyou for the suggestion.
Do you just not like the milgraining? I guess I was trying to keep some kind of vintage touch, seeing as the rest
is quite modern..

Alternately, I could just forget about the side diamonds altogether and go with this - I
30.gif
This! What do you reckon about this for the cushion? (I would do away with the knife edge though, have the shank smooth).

281.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 11:54:33 AM
Author: Kasey3
Hi AJ

congrats on your beautiful new diamond, i think you made a great choice!

i love your drawing, and i love the design. personally i like the miligrain edge.

i can''t wait to see the finished product!!

Thankyou kasey, me too !

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like the diamond melee at the sides to add some interest to the design. I''d go for a fine milgraine, say just on the inner surface to give the appearance of a border. The milgraine on the 1st picture is too large and rather distracting.

Gee, AJ, I thought that drawing was from one of the Meyers - it is excellent. Very detailed and the proportions look good. It looks like the work of a professional artist.
23.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 11:50:26 PM

Hey Ellen,
I wouldn''t say much of the process has gone smoothly, lol - but everything is working itself out slowly.
Thanks for your support!
13.gif
Well ok, relatively speaking.
9.gif

I too like the milgrain. And as chrono said, if it''s done finely (and well), I think it would be really pretty (and wouldn''t look wavy). I can''t decide what I think about your last pic/suggestion, it''s just not grabbing me like the other....

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear you are having troubles with CM. I had a few email exchanges with them over my Ering a few months ago (still may reset with them next year), and they were always very helpful and prompt. I have to say, you are going with an artist, not a straight benchman, and if you want to be really particular you may want to reconsider BGD as they would do fantastic work as well. I am not saying you are being unreasonable, its just about the experience you want to have, and how involved you want to be, how much communication you need, etc. Sorry if I am behind or confused on the storyline, this thread is long!

Re:the two settings (sidestones and the plain bezel), I love the first (it''s one I am considering in Rose gold and Plat) but I think the two are pretty different. Which is more *you*? The second is much sleeker, and gorgeous as well. It is hard to picture it with a cushion though, same with the first with the lines of the round on the side. I am making no sense!

Seems like if you go with the first, you may want to go with no millegrain, since you seem drawn to the cleaner aesthetic?

What a fun project!
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 8:07:10 AM
Author: Chrono
I do like the diamond melee at the sides to add some interest to the design. I''d go for a fine milgraine, say just on the inner surface to give the appearance of a border. The milgraine on the 1st picture is too large and rather distracting.

Gee, AJ, I thought that drawing was from one of the Meyers - it is excellent. Very detailed and the proportions look good. It looks like the work of a professional artist.
23.gif

Thanks for your thoughts C, I think I like the milgrain too, but yes finer - like this, correct?
Lol, don''t be silly about my drawing..it did look better before it was scanned I must say!

1178.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 8:24:47 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 6/21/2009 11:50:26 PM

Hey Ellen,

Thanks for your support!
13.gif
Well ok, relatively speaking.
9.gif

I too like the milgrain. And as chrono said, if it''s done finely (and well), I think it would be really pretty (and wouldn''t look wavy). I can''t decide what I think about your last pic/suggestion, it''s just not grabbing me like the other....

ha ha, it''s all relative right Ellen
5.gif
Nah, I am very appreciative of the effort GOG have gone to
to help me, it''s been really really good.
Thanks for your thoughts on the settings, I appreciate the input.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 10:41:59 AM
Author: Miscka
Sorry to hear you are having troubles with CM. I had a few email exchanges with them over my Ering a few months ago (still may reset with them next year), and they were always very helpful and prompt. I have to say, you are going with an artist, not a straight benchman, and if you want to be really particular you may want to reconsider BGD as they would do fantastic work as well. I am not saying you are being unreasonable, its just about the experience you want to have, and how involved you want to be, how much communication you need, etc. Sorry if I am behind or confused on the storyline, this thread is long!

Re:the two settings (sidestones and the plain bezel), I love the first (it's one I am considering in Rose gold and Plat) but I think the two are pretty different. Which is more *you*? The second is much sleeker, and gorgeous as well. It is hard to picture it with a cushion though, same with the first with the lines of the round on the side. I am making no sense!

Seems like if you go with the first, you may want to go with no millegrain, since you seem drawn to the cleaner aesthetic?

What a fun project!
36.gif

Hi Miscka,
thanks for your thoughts - trust me, I really wish it wasn't the case.
Having worked with Jim Meyer with great success, I am all for letting the artist "do their thing". Basically I just told JM the setting I liked, sent him my stone, and trusted him to deliver perfectly (which he did). I didn't feel the need to specify any details, nor did I. I didn't even know what my ring looked like until it arrived in Australia weeks later, and it was even more impressive than I could have dreamed. So I don't have any issue with trusting in the artist.

Now, I'm sure CM is just as good at what he does - but I haven't gotten to speak to him. And the intermediary I have spoken to has given three incorrect quotes, despite my specifying style numbers etc to assist - I don't really think that's an issue of me being particular, yanno? I'm not saying the service has been rude or anything like that..just..frustrating, is all.

I actually only ended up doing up the drawing, with specific instructions on the details, so we could finally get our wires uncrossed - trust me, I would've preferred to have a much more "organic approach" from the start, lol!

As to your ideas on the settings, I appreciate the input. For this project, I really do like the overall sleeker look of CM's settings (otherwise I'd go straight to Jim again), but I would like to keep a vintage touch to complement the cushion, hence the milgrain..kwim?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2009 11:01:38 AM

Thanks for your thoughts C, I think I like the milgrain too, but yes finer - like this, correct?
Lol, don''t be silly about my drawing..it did look better before it was scanned I must say!
Yes, a very fine milgrain like that. It looks so much better.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 11:55:07 PM

Date: 6/21/2009 11:43:53 AM
AJ, you are just too cute for words! I love your drawing! I think your ring will end up looking fabulous.

I know you're a little undecided about milgraining, but this is what I would do. Look at the two rings that don't have those edges milgrained. The borders of the sections where the small diamonds are set is kind of wavy and uneven. For me, that's not what I would want to see every time I looked down at my hand. I don't think I'd do milgraining on this ring but I would ask that a small flat platinum rim be put around the section where the small diamonds will lie to give it a clean definite edge and also to mimic the bezel around the center stone(but to a smaller degree). It's just an idea. Wavy gold work makes me crazy and I'll bet it would haunt you too!

ha ha, thanks GG - I hope it doesn't look like I've got too much time on my hands, lol..
A smooth border/rim to emulate the bezel is a good idea, thankyou for the suggestion.
Do you just not like the milgraining? I guess I was trying to keep some kind of vintage touch, seeing as the rest
is quite modern..

Alternately, I could just forget about the side diamonds altogether and go with this - I
30.gif
This! What do you reckon about this for the cushion? (I would do away with the knife edge though, have the shank smooth).
AJ, I agree with Chrono in that the milgraining should be on the inside surface of the inset area where the little diamonds are. The first photo of one of his milgrained rings that you posted, looks like the whole segment was applied on top of the finished ring and I didn't particularly like that at all. Those segments looked bulky, like epaulets or shoulder pads (something you can do without!). The last photo you posted with milgraining is very nice, and oh yes, I love milgraining. I have plenty of white gold vintage-y type jewelry that's milgrained, I just didn't quite like their example of milgraining in that first photo.

I also do do DO like the photo of the ring with a white gold bezel around the diamond and then a semi bezel in yellow on the outside that blends into the shank. Good God, how to decide?? There are three rings here I would definitely consider if I had the stones!

Your other question....... I'd prefer a smooth shank. I'm not so sure a knife edge enhances the look of any of these four or five rings we're talking about.

I think these two are by far my favorites........

Yummy and yummier.
281.jpg
1178.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 12:42:10 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly Chrono and also thankyou Gemgirl...I agree with you about the first photo -
but this is where the confusion has been, so hopefully I have conveyed that to CM properly now
5.gif

Gemgirl, I actually really do like the half bezel too, I thought it would be nice as I already have a full bezel JM.
Here''s an idea - what do you think about the half bezel, with the side diamonds (with small milgrain like the pink sapphire pic of course, lol)..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A combination of the two would be interesting. It would not look too busy, would it? Hmmm…a photoshop or sketch would be helpful. Hint hint.
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 8:20:05 AM
A combination of the two would be interesting. It would not look too busy, would it? Hmmm…a photoshop or sketch would be helpful. Hint hint.
9.gif

I know, that was my only concern - too many elements..perhaps if the sides were reduced to one diamond
each instead of two?

I suck at photoshop, no clue - but I''ll see what I can do.
2.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2009 9:34:20 PM

Date: 6/22/2009 12:42:10 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly Chrono and also thankyou Gemgirl...I agree with you about the first photo -
but this is where the confusion has been, so hopefully I have conveyed that to CM properly now
5.gif

Gemgirl, I actually really do like the half bezel too, I thought it would be nice as I already have a full bezel JM.
Here''s an idea - what do you think about the half bezel, with the side diamonds (with small milgrain like the pink sapphire pic of course, lol)..
AJ, I think that''s a wonderful idea! Combining the best features of both styles would create something uniquely yours and I think it would look great! I love one of a kind things.

Chrono made a good suggestion. Maybe one of us can photoshop that for you. Not me though, I haven''t got a clue when it comes to photoshopping. LOL!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ok Chrono,
just for you I came up with a new sketch
9.gif
And now you owe me some photos woman, lol!

It''s not quite as clear as the last one as I had to combine the cushion and round diamond rings,
but I think it gives an idea..

personally I think it will work, esp. with the change to one side diamond - what do ya reckon?
I also tried to model the milgrain bits off the ring with the pink sapphire centre..

new sketch1.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou GG - what do you think of the sketch?
I like the idea of having something unique too..

man, I would love if a photoshop whiz were able to do so for me!
5.gif

ETA: hrmm..looking at it now, it's not really clear that its a half bezel, but trust me it is, lol!

My only concern...trying to convey this new idea to the staff...
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
BTW, ladies, some important news..

The Eagle has Landed!

my RB ring arrived with GOG this morning..1
so next she is off to the lab, removed from the legato, and we find out about the new OMC
and what to do with that one
1.gif

all very exciting
36.gif
Although I haven''t heard if my diamond is back from GIA yet..
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''ll look fine with one good sized melee at each side. Are you an artist or something? Your sketch is really good.

Yippee for the safe arrival of your RB.

I''m trying to let the subject of my OMC pictures fade into the distance as I''m not sure when I''ll get the chance...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 12:23:38 PM
I think it'll look fine with one good sized melee at each side. Are you an artist or something? Your sketch is really good.

Yippee for the safe arrival of your RB.

I'm trying to let the subject of my OMC pictures fade into the distance as I'm not sure when I'll get the chance...

Cheers C,
ha ha nope no artist here..I have always been "artistically inclined", but def. nothing in any type
of accomplished sense!

hrmm..not sure if you'll get off that easy..but okay I'll leave ya be for now
2.gif

ETA: and my OMC is back!!
36.gif
36.gif
And it's come certified as an M, not an L after all.
Some folks will think me mad, but I'm stoked about this - I was secretly hoping for an M all along
41.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes...an M! Glad your wish came true.
1.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2009 11:29:30 AM
Thankyou GG - what do you think of the sketch?
I like the idea of having something unique too..

man, I would love if a photoshop whiz were able to do so for me!
5.gif

ETA: hrmm..looking at it now, it's not really clear that its a half bezel, but trust me it is, lol!

My only concern...trying to convey this new idea to the staff...
9.gif
I think your sketch is great! and I agree with Chrono. One nice five pointer on each side should do it!

I think the most important thing that any of our Pricescope jewelers can do for us when we are designing a new piece is to have an open line of communication with us. Let's face it, creating something from a remote location and not being able to see it and discuss the small details with the designer is really a difficult deficit to deal with. Please try to be sure that they understand exactly what you want. I was sad when I was creating my five stone that I didn't have that. You get what you want!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
thanks Gemgirl, I agree with what you''re saying 100% - sometimes its difficult not being able
to just pick up the phone ya know..?

So, maybe not the prettiest shot ever, but here''s the first photo of my OMC:
it is slightly more elongated than square than I would''ve preferred, but it''s not a deal breaker
for me at all.

1.08 M si1rs.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty.
30.gif
Hard to believe it's an M.

AJ,
I was all set to take pictures this evening when I discovered that my camera is gone. I think hubby took it with him on his business trip.
39.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 6:46:38 PM
What a beauty.
30.gif
Hard to believe it's an M.

AJ,

I was all set to take pictures this evening when I discovered that my camera is gone. I think hubby took it with him on his business trip.
39.gif

Thanks C! It is showing a lil tint in that photo, but I'm sure it'll be lovely IRL.
Jon is sooo bad, he let me know that the 1.24 L SI1 is also available again...which is a lovely square OMC..but I must not be tempted, as that can hardly be called a downgrade from my 1.25 RB , lol..

Ah, silly husband..that's ok, you know I'm just mostly joshin ya about the pics
2.gif
(mostly.....*shakes fist menacingly*)
9.gif

In other news...still haven't heard back from CM..
7.gif
Do you think its reasonable for me to call them again?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just go for it woman - the perfect squareness is a a big plus in my book. Since it''s an L SI1, you can technically still call it a downgrade. It is also 0.01 ct smaller.
11.gif

Normally, I would continue to press the vendor, but this is starting to get ridiculous. It''s like they don''t want your business.
29.gif
At this point, I would seriously consider looking elsewhere.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 7:51:47 AM
Just go for it woman - the perfect squareness is a a big plus in my book. Since it''s an L SI1, you can technically still call it a downgrade. It is also 0.01 ct smaller.
11.gif

Normally, I would continue to press the vendor, but this is starting to get ridiculous. It''s like they don''t want your business.
29.gif
Oh honey...... me too!....... nudge, nudge,
11.gif
poke, poke!!! Go for the square 1.24! It''s what you really wanted in the first place and she''s available again. Meant to be! She''s crossing your path again. Grab her!

On a more serious note, I''m trying to get my thoughts together on my next three projects, and Lesley and I have been emailing back and forth. I haven''t gotten my first project off the ground yet, and yet this lovely lady is interested in what I''d like to create. That''s good customer service! It''s just a suggestion, but why not consider Brian & Lesley? I am very sure that they will be interested in every little detail of what you''re trying to create. It''s just a thought. Speaking for myself, I would have lost interest in the Meyer family already.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
11.gif

29.gif

Ha ha, you''re such an enabler! We''ll see...
17.gif

thanks for commiserating with me about the vendor...It''s quite difficult for me to understand, seeing
as JM was such a breeze to work with. In fairness, I haven''t been able to speak to Caleb, and from others reports he is just as easy going.
I think if I don''t get a response tonight or tmw, I will stay up late again and try to phone the US, however I do feel its a bit of a PITA having to pay for Int. calls when I was told email is sufficient, kwim..
I''ve got a feeling there''s been just some bad miscommunications, and they now think I''m one of these overly demanding hyper-crazy detail clients - which I know I''m not, lol..

Well, fingers crossed I will be able to re-use the Legato for now, as I may just feel like coming back to the whole setting issue later in the year or so me thinks..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 8:34:30 AM

Just go for it woman - the perfect squareness is a a big plus in my book. Since it's an L SI1, you can technically still call it a downgrade. It is also 0.01 ct smaller.
11.gif

Normally, I would continue to press the vendor, but this is starting to get ridiculous. It's like they don't want your business.
29.gif

11.gif
poke, poke!!! Go for the square 1.24! It's what you really wanted in the first place and she's available again. Meant to be! She's crossing your path again. Grab her!

On a more serious note, I'm trying to get my thoughts together on my next three projects, and Lesley and I have been emailing back and forth. I haven't gotten my first project off the ground yet, and yet this lovely lady is interested in what I'd like to create. That's good customer service! It's just a suggestion, but why not consider Brian & Lesley? I am very sure that they will be interested in every little detail of what you're trying to create. It's just a thought. Speaking for myself, I would have lost interest in the Meyer family already.

Hey Gemgirl,
lol not you too! ha ha, well you'll both just have to wait and see
11.gif

Personally I'm totally happy with the 1ct M SI1....she could be a *tiny* bit squarer, but I'm still really stoked. And the 1.08 has a cool story behind it - originally Jon had given me a list of the new cushions that were arriving from the cutter, but there was nothing really in my price range
7.gif
Than, once the new diamonds arrived, this perfect candidate also showed up that hadn't been on the list, and she was everything I was after in size, colour and clarity..
Plus, both mine and Fi's last names end in M - so that's why I was happy when it came back from GIA as an M
1.gif

Thankyou for the suggestion - I actually have contacted BGD already, lol..
and yes, as proof of how fantastic Lesley is, she got back with detailed quotes and answers to a number of Q's days ago...she is an outstanding customer service person
36.gif

The thing is, I'm just a bit conflicted about asking someone to copy a JM or CM design directly, as I really respect their work and creativity, yanno?

As I mentioned above, I don't want to tar Jim (or even Caleb) with any final brush yet - Jim is a doll, a professional, and I've also been in chats with him about this new ring, and he's been 100% helpful.

I would like to just make it clear for anyone reading this that JM and CM do run totally separate businesses with quite different directions,
and as Jim explained to me they try hard to respect each others "design boundaries"...I have been a huge proponent of the Meyer work since I learned about it, which is why I was pretty conflicted to post about my not so good experience so far with CM..but I decided after all that's what we're about here, and as Chrono said it is getting a lil silly..But this is *completely opposite* to my experience with Jim, and I still absolutely recommend him at the drop of a hat..

I find it hard to believe the apple has fallen too far from the tree, so I think it's simply the whole "intermediary" issue, yanno. Boy, I really hope CM staff don't read PS, as that would explain I guess the non-responsiveness..lol!
40.gif

I dunno, I'm not mad, just pretty disheartened as I love CM's designs so much - I mean, I'm drawing sketches in my free time, lol!

cheers for your support ladies
35.gif

BTW, next *three* projects?! When are you planning to spill woman?!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 9:18:13 AM

Date: 6/24/2009 8:34:30 AM

11.gif

29.gif

11.gif
poke, poke!!! Go for the square 1.24! It''s what you really wanted in the first place and she''s available again. Meant to be! She''s crossing your path again. Grab her!

On a more serious note, I''m trying to get my thoughts together on my next three projects, and Lesley and I have been emailing back and forth. I haven''t gotten my first project off the ground yet, and yet this lovely lady is interested in what I''d like to create. That''s good customer service! It''s just a suggestion, but why not consider Brian & Lesley? I am very sure that they will be interested in every little detail of what you''re trying to create. It''s just a thought. Speaking for myself, I would have lost interest in the Meyer family already.

Hey Gemgirl,
lol not you too! ha ha, well you''ll both just have to wait and see
11.gif

Personally I''m totally happy with the 1ct M SI1....she could be a *tiny* bit squarer, but I''m still really stoked. And the 1.08 has a cool story behind it - originally Jon had given me a list of the new cushions that were arriving from the cutter, but there was nothing really in my price range
7.gif
Than, once the new diamonds arrived, this perfect candidate also showed up that hadn''t been on the list, and she was everything I was after in size, colour and clarity..
Plus, both mine and Fi''s last names end in M - so that''s why I was happy when it came back from GIA as an M
1.gif

Thankyou for the suggestion - I actually have contacted BGD already, lol..
and yes, as proof of how fantastic Lesley is, she got back with detailed quotes and answers to a number of Q''s days ago...she is an outstanding customer service person
36.gif

The thing is, I''m just a bit conflicted about asking someone to copy a JM or CM design directly, as I really respect their work and creativity, yanno?

As I mentioned above, I don''t want to tar Jim (or even Caleb) with any final brush yet - Jim is a doll, a professional, and I''ve also been in chats with him about this new ring, and he''s been 100% helpful.

I would like to just make it clear for anyone reading this that JM and CM do run totally separate businesses with quite different directions,
and as Jim explained to me they try hard to respect each others ''design boundaries''...I have been a huge proponent of the Meyer work since I learned about it, which is why I was pretty conflicted to post about my not so good experience so far with CM..but I decided after all that''s what we''re about here, and as Chrono said it is getting a lil silly..But this is *completely opposite* to my experience with Jim, and I still absolutely recommend him at the drop of a hat..

I find it hard to believe the apple has fallen too far from the tree, so I think it''s simply the whole ''intermediary'' issue, yanno. Boy, I really hope CM staff don''t read PS, as that would explain I guess the non-responsiveness..lol!
40.gif

I dunno, I''m not mad, just pretty disheartened as I love CM''s designs so much - I mean, I''m drawing sketches in my free time, lol!

cheers for your support ladies
35.gif

BTW, next *three* projects?! When are you planning to spill woman?!
Ahhhhhh heeheehee
11.gif
......... two diamond stackers and a pendant, Woo''s pendant. I loved it the moment I saw it. BTW, I was thinking about posting a pic of Woo''s pendant for you to look at. It has tiny milgraining around the center polished bezel. You can do that to your ring too (but I think you might have to eliminate the semi bezels because there would be too much going on). It might be an interesting feature and it would tie together with the milgraining on the sides. Just something to think about.

DDwoobug.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results