shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG chunky cushions - design opinions please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:33:28 AM
Author: Matata

I''m still debating whether I want a bit larger one. Only thing is, the faceting on this one is my idea of perfect and I''m afraid if I went larger, I might not like it as much as I like this one. Soooo, I''ll probably keep this one. (I''ve named her Josette so you know for sure that Matata has gone off the deep end for this diamond
9.gif
)

Sweetie, you are going to be doing the happy dance for a long time after you get your stone. I have NEVER been impressed by any diamond as much as I am by these cushions--even though I own 5 ACAs. If I would have known Jon was going to cut these, I never would have purchased those ACAs last year.

I''ll pull out the ''how to'' manual this weekend and attempt to conquer macros so I can post better pics.
Wow, that says a lot.....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with Matata. This OMC puts all the other diamonds I own (ideal cut RB, OEC and EC) to shame. It doesn’t take anything for this puppy to sparkle. AJ and the other to-be OMC owners are going to be uber happy with their stones for a very long time. I am also wondering if maybe this is the end of the upgrade line for me too…

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I''ve got drool all over my laptop. These cushions are just really incredibly amazing. Congrats to all!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
PHENOMENAL ... all of them .... is anyone else having trouble finding them on the site though? Are all the new OMC''s sold out? Are the OEC''s available yet?

And this from someone who is NOT in the market for a stone of any kind ... well ... do garden pebbles count? **sigh**

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco,
I don''t think the OECs are ready for sale yet. Jon is still tweaking with the prototype.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 12:03:15 PM
Author: Chrono
I have to agree with Matata. This OMC puts all the other diamonds I own (ideal cut RB, OEC and EC) to shame. It doesn’t take anything for this puppy to sparkle. AJ and the other to-be OMC owners are going to be uber happy with their stones for a very long time. I am also wondering if maybe this is the end of the upgrade line for me too…

I have to agree with Ellen, wow thats really saying something girls! Uber happy, lol I like that.

C, I thought you may be interested to know I asked Jim about the re-use of his bezels, and he said its definately do-able. As I understand it, he was saying if you''d like to replace with another stone (say a CS), of very similiar dimensions than its cool. If you''d like to go bigger, than he can remove the bezel and create a new one.
So yes, I imagine this is not something that every bench has the capacity to do, but JM seemed confident about it.
1.gif

And if anyone else is wondering what I was earlier in the thread, ie. JM re-creating a CM design (or vice versa), Jim said they prefer "not to encroach on each others design turf", which I think is of course fair enough and a good policy
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 12:43:00 PM
Author: decodelighted
PHENOMENAL ... all of them .... is anyone else having trouble finding them on the site though? Are all the new OMC''s sold out? Are the OEC''s available yet?

And this from someone who is NOT in the market for a stone of any kind ... well ... do garden pebbles count? **sigh**

Hey Deco, yeah I have a feeling all the cushions are now sold out! Earlier this week Jon had links on his homepage of the three left, but thats been taken down now..
However, I know he is currently having more cut, so it won''t be long before the new batch arrives
31.gif

As to the OEC''s, you were able to buy the first ones I believe and someone from Aust bought the 0.8ct F I1.
But yep, as C said he is having them "tweaked" a lil to reduce the hard contrast (obstruction) seen in the centre...there should be a bunch of those back soon too
2.gif

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 10:24:59 PM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 6/19/2009 12:43:00 PM

Author: decodelighted

Hey Deco, yeah I have a feeling all the cushions are now sold out! Earlier this week Jon had links on his homepage of the three left, but thats been taken down now..

However, I know he is currently having more cut, so it won''t be long before the new batch arrives

31.gif

There are still a few signature cushions left. Just tick "Old Mine Cushion" in diamond search to locate them. There are currently 6 on the site and 4 of them are from the last shipment.
2.gif

BTW, AJ, do you know how many will be in the next shipment?
18.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks sweetie ! That must be new, I hadn''t noticed it before..
looks like its mostly all the L''s left - I dunno why, L''s are Lovely !
Including that awesome 2.46 that was in the video collage that I did - yum!

I don''t think I do know sorry sweetie, but for some reason ~15-20 comes to mind...?
How come,are you interested?
31.gif

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 6:04:20 AM

I don''t think I do know sorry sweetie, but for some reason ~15-20 comes to mind...?

31.gif

"Being interested" is an understatement.... I''m dying to get one!!!!
14.gif
And my BF wish to get me one NOW seeing me drooling over these beauties every day.....though I understand it won''t be happening any time soon....
7.gif

Yes, that option is new and very convenient for me. Can you believe I actually went through his whole cushion inventory several times every day to search for new addition ever since the first one of this batch was uploaded on the site?

Why is that 1.74 F VS2 still there? It''s what I''d love to have though it''s out of my (future) budget.
30.gif
18.gif

Please post once your stone is in. I''ll check others in the same shipment.
25.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Matata... Chrono...... you guys are killing me! Seriously. I cannot take it.
39.gif
The want monster is taking over..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 7:00:22 AM
Author: sillysweetie

31.gif

''Being interested'' is an understatement.... I''m dying to get one!!!!
14.gif
And my BF wish to get me one NOW seeing me drooling over these beauties every day.....though I understand it won''t be happening any time soon....
7.gif

Yes, that option is new and very convenient for me. Can you believe I actually went through his whole cushion inventory several times every day to search for new addition ever since the first one of this batch was uploaded on the site?

Why is that 1.74 F VS2 still there? It''s what I''d love to have though it''s out of my (future) budget.
30.gif
18.gif

25.gif

ha ha, I hear ya sweet! Don''t worry, I was going through the cushion inventory too, you''re not the only one!
Are you not interested in the lower colours at all? I''ve said it before, but I reckon the 1.2 L is a steal..
did you watch the video Jon did with the 2.4ct L ? I don''t know about you, but I didn''t see a hint of a tint, just bright blues, greens and orangse being reflected
30.gif

If you''re on a restricted budget (like me), the lower colours really are a great way of maxxing that budget
1.gif

You know I will absolutely post about mine once it''s here.. if you like, I''ll ask Jon when he thinks the next shipment is due and how many there are..or are you in contact with him yourself already?

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 10:16:05 AM
Date: 6/20/2009 7:00:22 AM

Author: sillysweetie

31.gif

''Being interested'' is an understatement.... I''m dying to get one!!!!
14.gif
7.gif

30.gif
18.gif

25.gif

ha ha, I hear ya sweet! Don''t worry, I was going through the cushion inventory too, you''re not the only one!

Are you not interested in the lower colours at all? I''ve said it before, but I reckon the 1.2 L is a steal..

did you watch the video Jon did with the 2.4ct L ? I don''t know about you, but I didn''t see a hint of a tint, just bright blues, greens and orangse being reflected
30.gif

If you''re on a restricted budget (like me), the lower colours really are a great way of maxxing that budget

1.gif

You know I will absolutely post about mine once it''s here.. if you like, I''ll ask Jon when he thinks the next shipment is due and how many there are..or are you in contact with him yourself already?

I''ve seen videos of an L, a K and a J, I did notice some tint in the videos but I''m not sure whether that tint is noticeable in real life. If I were to get one of these signature cushions, it''s for my engagement. So I''d prefer it to be "mind-clean" so that I won''t need to upgrade later. If it''s not for engagement, I think I''d be more ready to go lower in colour.

Haha, I''m itching to contact Jon myself but figure that I''d better refrain from it unless I''m ready for get one.

Will follow your updates (also redrose''s, chrono''s, matata''s) ...... yummy....
18.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Guys, I really need to vent!
Unfortunately, I don''t know if it is a communication breakdown, but I am very frustrated with CM customer service right now.
I emailed them at the start of the week for a quote on the setting that we discussed in this thread, the one that everyone loved.
I was very clear, gave all the ID''s of the designs I like, explained what I like about them, and asked for a price in two tone - yellow gold with plat bezel and accents.

Well, their rep Stephanie came back to me originally with a quote for the wrong design.
Ok...I reiterated what it was I was after, clarified further...and a couple days later, no reply.

I actually phoned up this evening (morning for them) and she said she had it all understood and would get back
to me - well, she''s come back with a quote for the correct design, but says I can only do it in all platinum
33.gif

Despite my clear stating in all emails that I''d like yellow gold, with a plat bezel and if possible plat "accents" where the diamonds are.

I thought this would be entirely possible, seeing as this setting is in their gallery..which is clearly in two tone
33.gif

I''m just confused right now, and more than a lil annoyed. They are just seeming really inflexible, which is Not my impression of what it would be like, and absolutely Not my experience with Jim..
I kinda feel like if I could just speak to Caleb directly, I''d have my answer..

ok, just wanted to vent, sorry..urgh
7.gif

2128-C-143 CM1.jpg

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 10:21:08 PM

I have to agree with Ellen, wow thats really saying something girls! Uber happy, lol I like that.

C, I thought you may be interested to know I asked Jim about the re-use of his bezels, and he said its definately do-able. As I understand it, he was saying if you''d like to replace with another stone (say a CS), of very similiar dimensions than its cool. If you''d like to go bigger, than he can remove the bezel and create a new one.
So yes, I imagine this is not something that every bench has the capacity to do, but JM seemed confident about it.
1.gif

And if anyone else is wondering what I was earlier in the thread, ie. JM re-creating a CM design (or vice versa), Jim said they prefer ''not to encroach on each others design turf'', which I think is of course fair enough and a good policy
5.gif
Hmm, JM can take the stone out of the bezel without damaging the stone? I wouldn''t care about damage to the bezel. I ask this because I''ve thought about putting my sapphire in my JM ring into another setting and having a new stone for the JM ring. I don''t know if I want to go through all this though.

Sorry you''re having a bit of a frustrating experience with CM''s "people". That would be annoying!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 12:54:37 PM
Author: Cind11

1.gif

And if anyone else is wondering what I was earlier in the thread, ie. JM re-creating a CM design (or vice versa), Jim said they prefer ''not to encroach on each others design turf'', which I think is of course fair enough and a good policy
5.gif
Hmm, JM can take the stone out of the bezel without damaging the stone? I wouldn''t care about damage to the bezel. I ask this because I''ve thought about putting my sapphire in my JM ring into another setting and having a new stone for the JM ring. I don''t know if I want to go through all this though.

Sorry you''re having a bit of a frustrating experience with CM''s ''people''. That would be annoying!

Hi Cind,
yes I think he was saying he can take it out without too much damage to both, but of course I don''t want to make blanket statement and you should ask him directly...I''m sure he''d be happy to speak to you about it.
What do you want to change to?

Thanks about CM - I *think* we''re working it out (have had a couple more emails). But it just makes me appreciate how much easier everything is made when you can speak to the designer direct, yanno?
I guess I just worry that if we can''t get the quote right, what about the ring?! lol..

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 1:44:18 PM

Date: 6/20/2009 12:54:37 PM
Author: Cind11

1.gif

5.gif

Sorry you''re having a bit of a frustrating experience with CM''s ''people''. That would be annoying!

Hi Cind,
yes I think he was saying he can take it out without too much damage to both, but of course I don''t want to make blanket statement and you should ask him directly...I''m sure he''d be happy to speak to you about it.
What do you want to change to?

Thanks about CM - I *think* we''re working it out (have had a couple more emails). But it just makes me appreciate how much easier everything is made when you can speak to the designer direct, yanno?
I guess I just worry that if we can''t get the quote right, what about the ring?! lol..
AJ, I don''t know what I''d want to change it to. I wouldn''t care that much if the bezel is damaged and a new one would have to be made because I would want to get a bigger stone for that setting. (not a sapphire - something less expensive) But I would definitely care about the sapphire itself. Richard Homer cut me that stone and it was NOT inexpensive. If damage occurred, I would probably freak out! LOL. So, maybe I should leave well enough alone and not consider doing this.

Yes, it is so much easier to talk to the person who is actually making the piece (ring or whatever) because it certainly seems as though things get lost in the translation when you talk to an intermediary. Glad it sounds like you''re making progress.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 12:26:27 PM
Guys, I really need to vent!

Unfortunately, I don''t know if it is a communication breakdown, but I am very frustrated with CM customer service right now.

I emailed them at the start of the week for a quote on the setting that we discussed in this thread, the one that everyone loved.

I was very clear, gave all the ID''s of the designs I like, explained what I like about them, and asked for a price in two tone - yellow gold with plat bezel and accents.

Well, their rep Stephanie came back to me originally with a quote for the wrong design.

Ok...I reiterated what it was I was after, clarified further...and a couple days later, no reply.

I actually phoned up this evening (morning for them) and she said she had it all understood and would get back

to me - well, she''s come back with a quote for the correct design, but says I can only do it in all platinum
33.gif

Despite my clear stating in all emails that I''d like yellow gold, with a plat bezel and if possible plat ''accents'' where the diamonds are.

I thought this would be entirely possible, seeing as this setting is in their gallery..which is clearly in two tone
33.gif

I''m just confused right now, and more than a lil annoyed. They are just seeming really inflexible, which is Not my impression of what it would be like, and absolutely Not my experience with Jim..

I kinda feel like if I could just speak to Caleb directly, I''d have my answer..

ok, just wanted to vent, sorry..urgh
7.gif

I''m sorry AJ! Are they getting it straightened out for you? I am concerned about the inflexibility as well! I''m glad I''ve got a while to email places and get my stuff figured out..but I can about imagine how irritating it would be for you right now! I got a quote from BGD, and am tossing the idea around of emailing JM as well. I hope it gets worked out the way you want it!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey packrat,
all I can say is, I really would''ve rathered to post a glowing review, but its just not heading that way atm and after a week of this I really had to vent! I''m more sad about it than anything, as I really like his designs and would like to work with them.
She has gotten the quote right now, but there are still a couple details that are not clear, and am waiting for answers on.
I guess I was just frustrated that after me calling all the way from Oz at 11pm, we could''ve just chatted and resolved it all than, and missed all the confusion, yanno..
7.gif

I probably won''t go into any more detail, in case someone reads the forums, I wouldn''t want to cause hurt feelings or anything. I do hope its just a miscommunication and I will be happy to post when its all resolved.
Jim did offer to ask Caleb to make the ring for me, and I am seriously considering that at this point, as the communication is already established and I find Jim very easy to work with, yanno?

I am also considering BGD because than I would be able to specify ideal cut sidestones etc..

I dunno, we''ll have to see how it goes I think!
I do recommend you contacting JM - he really is a lovely man to work with, and the flexibility is there.

Cind, I think I''d be in the camp of leaving well enough alone with re to that ring. You haven''t had it for long at all..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1.gif

5.gif
This is great news. I think I have to seriously consider a JM bezel and when I upgrade, pop in either my 7 mm tsavorite or 7 mm pink spinel into it.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an L OMC, I thought I''d give those out there some idea about what I see. To be fair, I placed it next to my E coloured EC. Yes, the OMC has a tint and only a tint. It is not yellow. Most of the time, the tint is not noticeable because of the fire being reflected back to the eye. The white light return is also phenomenal and no tint is seen at that time. For old cut lovers, the off white colour goes very well with the look and completes the old world look and feel. That said, I would gladly accept an E OMC as well.
11.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 9:00:35 AM
Author: icekid
39.gif

Look deep into my facets....you are getting verrrry sleeeepy, now listen carefully to my voice, keep looking deeply into my rainbow facets.......calljoncalljoncalljoncalljon
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 4:29:03 PM
Author: Matata
Date: 6/20/2009 9:00:35 AM

Author: icekid

39.gif

Look deep into my facets....you are getting verrrry sleeeepy, now listen carefully to my voice, keep looking deeply into my rainbow facets.......calljoncalljoncalljoncalljon
11.gif

ROFLMAO! you''re too funny mat!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono for the colour report, and I''m glad you will consider JM. I don''t think you will regret it
1.gif

So, my ring has landed in the US according to Fedex, it looks like everything is on schedule for it to arrive at GOG on mon, and with a bit of luck my OMC will also be waiting back from GIA
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Considering the confusion I encountered with CM so far, and because the didn''t have *exactly* what I was after
in the archives, I decided to draw it, and thought I''d post it here for suggestions/approval or non..?

The side sections holding the diamonds would also ideally be in plat..
what do you guys think?

ring design.2jpg.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
whoops, ! that was pretty big, sorry..

It was kinda a combo of all of these, with elements from each...
I think one thing I''m unsure of is the milgrain - any thoughts? btw, drawing diamonds is hard, lol..more respect to those who do such pretty drawings and designs!

ring inspiration CM.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2009 7:18:45 AM
Considering the confusion I encountered with CM so far, and because the didn''t have *exactly* what I was after
in the archives, I decided to draw it, and thought I''d post it here for suggestions/approval or non..?

The side sections holding the diamonds would also ideally be in plat..
what do you guys think?
I think it''s perfect!
30.gif
Seriously lovin it aj.

I''m so glad everything seems to be going smoothly, you''re getting there!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ, you are just too cute for words! I love your drawing! I think your ring will end up looking fabulous.

I know you''re a little undecided about milgraining, but this is what I would do. Look at the two rings that don''t have those edges milgrained. The borders of the sections where the small diamonds are set is kind of wavy and uneven. For me, that''s not what I would want to see every time I looked down at my hand. I don''t think I''d do milgraining on this ring but I would ask that a small flat platinum rim be put around the section where the small diamonds will lie to give it a clean definite edge and also to mimic the bezel around the center stone(but to a smaller degree). It''s just an idea. Wavy gold work makes me crazy and I''ll bet it would haunt you too!

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
Hi AJ

congrats on your beautiful new diamond, i think you made a great choice!

i love your drawing, and i love the design. personally i like the miligrain edge.

i can''t wait to see the finished product!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results