shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering new solitaire setting for my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Some of you know that I''m the proud owner of an AGS0 H SI1 3.56ct round brilliant in a custom solitaire setting, courtesy of the wonderful James Allen. This ring became mine back in October 2005. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my stone would click inside the prongs just the slightest bit if I touched it. I immediately took the ring to a local jeweler to have the prongs tightened. A few days ago, I accidentally whacked the ring against my desk, and the stone became *very* loose. Now I can actually rotate the stone in the prongs! This leads me to believe that my four beloved thin and delicate prongs just aren''t secure enough for this stone.
emotion-18.gif
I know I know, duh -- shoulda known better.

I know that I could send it back to Jim and have the head swapped out for something sturdier. And I do love the current setting (see my avatar), but now I sorta have the opportunity to consider other settings.
emangel.gif
emwink.gif
Stermag recently became engaged with a gorgeous 1.5 RB in the lovely Vatche RC setting. I like how the prongs flow, and the 6 prongs would provide the security that I need: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-52ct-rb-in-plat-royal-crown-james-allen.41398/

However, I also love the 4 double claw-prongs in Leon Mege''s plain and elegant solitaire: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=72&sessionid=5f13effa2bbbf8f8aee3fd072f44d607 Leon has already responded to me with a price quote and time estimate, both of which were reasonable. I wonder if the "double" nature of the claw prongs provides good enough security...?

Of course, there''s Demelza''s famous Superbcert Tiffany replica, which I also love. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-superbcert-tiffany-replica-has-arrived.35506/=

I want a simple, clean, and elegant solitaire, and I plan to continue wearing the e-ring with my plain comfort fit wedding band. Anyone care to weigh in on the options above? Feel free to suggest other ideas as well. :) Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for Dem''s setting!!! Yummm
30.gif
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my two cents Kristy...

Go with 6 prongs. Honestly the first time you posted your stone in your new setting I worried about the 4 prongs holding such a large stone, your girdle protrudes in a huge manner out from all edges of the prongs, one good knock...yikes.

For me what the problem is not the sturdiness of your prongs (and this mean LM double prongs too) but that you just need more protection for the stone. I'd be afraid of wacking it on the girdle in the right spot and it cleaving in two or something. Diamonds are not invincible.

So I'd say no to the LM double pronged in such a large stone....and if you are considering Dem's 6 prong SC...it doesn't pair very well with other w-rings, as you can see from Dem's saga on trying to find another w-ring to wear with her ring other than her knife edge matching band. As much as I adore that e-ring setting, it is not an easy ring to pair with a w-ring, and it may not look good with your comfort fit w-ring.

So of your three options for me the RC is the best fit for your w-ring, the 6 prongs and I love the side head detail views. I will dig out PJ's pictures she sent me and post them here for you.

I think that regardless of what you put the stone in, it will be stunning!! For me this is not about what looks pretty. All these ring options are beautiful. But since you are thinking about making a change and part of that is for security, I'd ensure that you do a 6 prong head whatever you choose so that the stone is protected on more angles. Especially with a solitaire, the girdle is exposed on 4 sides in a huge way on larger stones.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here are a few pictures she sent me a while back...hopefully PJ doesn''t mind if I post them here for you:

PJ 3c RC a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

PJ 3c RC b.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
last one...

Anyway hope this helps!!

PJ 3c RC c.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA I just realized that the side profile of the RC looks kind of like that awesome BBB Ritani solitaire that I was in love with!!!! I think that the scallop on the Ritani one was very similar, maybe went up into a prong? Can''t remember now!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Mara. I think you might have just sealed the deal for me....especially with that last shot. THANK YOU. I know I should sleep on this for several more nights, and I definitely will -- but I think I''m in love! Do you have any idea if PJ worked directly with Vatche on this? I assume it was considered a custom setting since she has such a large stone.

And you know -- I had totally forgotten about Dem''s saga with the knife-edge on that Tiffany replica. You''re right that it just would not work with my comfort fit band. I do love that LM claw-set solitaire [sigh], and the "look" of it is just so very FINE, but the last thing I want is a cleaved diamond!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Definitely six prongs for your honker of a stone! And I do love the setting Mara attached. That one gets my vote!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know I love the idea of the double prongs like LM's solitaire, and I guess if you have insurance and could replace the stone it's not as huge of a deal, but I don't know...I have just become such a 6 prong convert lately as I think about my upgrade and how to showcase the stone to the best of it's ability and protect it as well...I am a hand banger and with my stone now it's not as big of a deal but once you are wearing so much $$ on your finger, it just seems like I want to protect it more or something. Also, even if insurance replaced it, these larger stones are not a dime a dozen in exceptional cut quality any longer!

What about having LM do a solitaire but with a 6 prong claw prong head or something? That would be stunning as well.

Part of what I like about the RC setting is that it's stunning, but still unique, aka I don't think tons of gals out there have it or a replica of it, and it has such a great side view of the prongs, which to me is so visually important, I always look at my stone from a side view in the car when I am driving and my hand is on the steering wheel! And then lastly, it's not expensive!! It doesn't end up being a $3k platinum solitaire setting just because it's branded. So it's a great 'package' IMO if you don't want to go custom.

Anyway I feel like a RC pimp or something...hehee...its not even like I have ever seen one in person, I just have been secretly coveting it with a large 3c stone since I saw PJ's and yours is even bigger so it'd be even more fabulous (if that is even possible?!!?)....hehehee.

I bet that DCD could work with Vatche to get you a 3c+ RC made if they worked with Stermag to get hers. Good luck gal!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 5:52:25 PM
Author: KristyDarling
Oh, Mara. I think you might have just sealed the deal for me....especially with that last shot. THANK YOU. I know I should sleep on this for several more nights, and I definitely will -- but I think I''m in love! Do you have any idea if PJ worked directly with Vatche on this? I assume it was considered a custom setting since she has such a large stone.

And you know -- I had totally forgotten about Dem''s saga with the knife-edge on that Tiffany replica. You''re right that it just would not work with my comfort fit band. I do love that LM claw-set solitaire [sigh], and the ''look'' of it is just so very FINE, but the last thing I want is a cleaved diamond!
I just read through PreciousJewel''s thread here link
She got her royal crown through Good Old Gold. They had to special order the head and it took about five weeks.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree; 6 prong seems safest, and although all 3 rings are beautiful, I do love that Royal Crown head for a 6-prong! It is gorgeous.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 5:59:55 PM
Author: Mara
I know I love the idea of the double prongs like LM''s solitaire, and I guess if you have insurance and could replace the stone it''s not as huge of a deal, but I don''t know...I have just become such a 6 prong convert lately as I think about my upgrade and how to showcase the stone to the best of it''s ability and protect it as well...I am a hand banger and with my stone now it''s not as big of a deal but once you are wearing so much $$ on your finger, it just seems like I want to protect it more or something. Also, even if insurance replaced it, these larger stones are not a dime a dozen in exceptional cut quality any longer!

What about having LM do a solitaire but with a 6 prong claw prong head or something? That would be stunning as well.

Part of what I like about the RC setting is that it''s stunning, but still unique, aka I don''t think tons of gals out there have it or a replica of it, and it has such a great side view of the prongs, which to me is so visually important, I always look at my stone from a side view in the car when I am driving and my hand is on the steering wheel! And then lastly, it''s not expensive!! It doesn''t end up being a $3k platinum solitaire setting just because it''s branded. So it''s a great ''package'' IMO if you don''t want to go custom.

Anyway I feel like a RC pimp or something...hehee...its not even like I have ever seen one in person, I just have been secretly coveting it with a large 3c stone since I saw PJ''s and yours is even bigger so it''d be even more fabulous (if that is even possible?!!?)....hehehee.

I bet that DCD could work with Vatche to get you a 3c+ RC made if they worked with Stermag to get hers. Good luck gal!!
It''s Hard out here for a Pimp!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
jcrow just had the head changed on her setting

2ringsACAs.jpg

and I just love this one too
noon4.jpg

noon1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here is Solange''s 4ct six prong setting from WF

myrna3.jpg

myrna1.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sevens -- I knew I could count on you to bust out photos of all the beauties and make this whole thing harder!
emsmilep.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, I really love the Royal Crown
30.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara - are you still thinking of going with that Ritani solitaire for your upgrade? Or is it down to Ritani and the RC? When will this upgrade happen and what stone specs are you considering? Just being very nosy and curious! :)

Also, the idea of 6 claw prongs for an LM solitaire is intriguing, but I kinda think that the claw prongs look best when they're doubled. Maybe SOMEDAY when hubby deems me worthy of starting an actual diamond collection, I'll get my dream RHR: a 3 carat emerald cut 3-stone LM ring with double-claw prongs! Hehehehe.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i adore the RC! i would have gone with that myself, but felt that the ring band was too wide for my short fingers once you add the wedding band.

this is so the look i was going for but with less width. it''s PreciousJewel''s.

ET3.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Mara-- did you ever find out more info on that Ritani setting? it sounded perfect!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jcrow - I was wondering about that too. Do you know the actual shank width of the RC?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
butterfly 17 has a RC too. let me see if i can dig some pics up.

i don''t remember, i think it''s 3 mm?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ok- so i couldn''t find pics, nor the mm width. but i didn''t find this lovely by Mark Morell.

003small.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for the Royal Crown too. Not only is it more secure with 6 prongs, but it looks like a comfortable setting to wear. I have a knife edge on my ring and I am finding it pretty uncomfortable, so a No vote would be for Dem''s as well.

And something about the claw prongs...well, maybe because I have never seen them in person and the only thing I have to go on are the super magnified pics on the computer, but I don''t like them. It looks like fuzzies would get caught easily under them.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 6:36:06 PM
Author: jcrow
butterfly 17 has a RC too. let me see if i can dig some pics up.

i don''t remember, i think it''s 3 mm?
okay woman I found some but I don''t want to steal your thunder!
emclock.gif
20.gif
LOL
I need to learn to be patient.

Sorry about all the options Kristy.

So Jcrow''s concern was the "thicker" shank of the RC. What are your thoughts on that? Does that bother you?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here''s an oldy from 2003
2.gif

Final Cut''s 2.42 ct

project%20063.jpg

project%20009.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here''s Butterfly''s

ACA.jpg

my%20ring.jpg

Side%20Profile.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Sevens, if it's a 3mm shank, it would probably be OK. Not 100 percent sure though! My w-band is 2.5mm wide. My preference would be for the e-ring shank to match at 2.5mm, but I dunno. I'll have to think about it. I wonder if Vatche would do a custom job and shave down the shank thickness?

Pebbles - that's a good point. Nothing annoys me more than sweater fuzzies under prongs. My current setting has that problem.

Jcrow - I thought about MM too. I love his stuff. The one you posted looks like a super-liquid version of the RC. The shank looks pretty thick though. I wonder if MM would be able to create something like that with a thinner shank. But even if he did, I'd worry that it may look "off" with my wedding band, which is just a plain ole band. "Fluid" e-ring next to "plain ole band" -- would that work?

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
You have to go with the RC it''s so beautiful that setting is outstanding...
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results