shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering new solitaire setting for my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey Kristy, the stones in PJ''s eternity band are .10 pts. which are 3mm
That looks about the same width as the royal crown shank; don''t you think?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kristy, Vatche maybe able to shave down the ring a bit for you but I think part of what I love about the RC on PJ's ring is that the band is that little thicker width and it really seems to match the 'size' of the stone if that makes sense. Lately I have been more into slightly wider bands too. hehee.

In terms of my upgrade...well I'm not getting a new setting for it...
39.gif
because I think my darling, patient hubby would just kill me if I switched out my e-ring and got a new bigger stone all at the same time...hahaa. I can only do so much. BUT I am getting a new head for the existing e-ring and right now a 6 prong like LLL's is at the top of the list to be put onto my existing e-ring setting to fit on top of my 'metal bar' to allow it to continue to sit flush with my w-ring. But I am totally jonesing for a solitaire that is for sure. I'm really excited about having a new head on my ring, the Solstice is nice and all but I'm ready for a change and something more fluid to really make the stone look as spready as possible. I don't like how most 4 prong settings just kind of make the stone look like it's stuck into or onto a setting, the 6 prongs seem to flare out more with the stone if that makes sense.

I figure maybe in another 2 years or so I can broach changing out my setting, though I don't know....we are both sentimental about it so it would be really sad to totally get rid of it....But again, jonesing for a solitaire!!! I am sooo in love with some of the ones I see on here. The whole classic RC with the eternity ring like what PJ has is just what I am dying for right now...but we all know that us diamond crazies change our minds like the wind...so we'll see in another year or two what my 'want' is...hehee.

I do fall in love with my setting over and over so I'm not in a rush to change it...but I almost feel like all the extra melee kind of detract from the center stone if that makes sense, I hope it won't do that with my new stone!!

Oh and when is it happening??? Well that'll be this spring....
5.gif
Stone specs, over 2c and as large as I can get for my budget...hehee. Slim pickins...but I am sure I will find something...
31.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, just my 2 cents, but I really prefer slightly heftier bands...especially with slightly heftier honkers!
2.gif
...just seems better balanced...

And Mara sure sold me, too. If I had a big RB like that, I''d DEFINITELY go with six prongs!

widget

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 7:17:48 PM
Author: Mara
Oh and when is it happening??? Well that''ll be this spring....
5.gif
Stone specs, over 2c and as large as I can get for my budget...hehee. Slim pickins...but I am sure I will find something...
31.gif
Do you mean
http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_03ct_g_vs2_h%26a.htm
or
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1732621.htm#
or last but not least
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1911780.htm#
(yummi)
???
2.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, a 3mm band wouldn''t be too different from the one on my James Allen, which is 2.75mm. Don''t know why I''m feeling nitpicky about it! :)

Mara - we will enjoy your diamond search right alongside you! What vendors are you considering? PS only? Or are you also open to local B&M? BTW, I LOVE your setting. It''s so simple and elegant, yet blingy! The best combination. And if you ever do broach the topic of a new setting, you can justify it to hubby by saying that you''ll always keep and wear your original setting, set with something like a beautiful cornflower blue sapphire. :)

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Don''t mean to hijack...but Mara, what if you made your e-ring band into an eternity band like your w-ring and then get a solitaire and put it in between the two eternity bands...then you can keep the sentiment and original bands, and still have your solitaire. Just a thought.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe oh trust me Mokey I have thought of that!! Problem is that my e-ring has 3 pointers and my w-ring has 2 pointers so they are just slightly ever so different...but I have thought about it. Maybe in the future....so many options...

oooh those are all really yummy Stephan...

Kristy...my upgrade is with WF so I will be using them when the time comes! In the past I have been sneaky and found something then told the PS''ers after the fact, I kind of like the element of surprise.
11.gif
heehee.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spring is in two weeks! You are talking about the first day of spring aren''t you?
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 8:04:38 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Spring is in two weeks! You are talking about the first day of spring aren''t you?
11.gif
Haha I wish!! You guys are funny.
9.gif

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
just a general question: what do you do with your old settings when you change settings? Does the jeweler give u money for the platinum? I would hate to have a empty setting sitting at home when platinum''s worth so much.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did I read correctly? Mara is upgrading??!! I''m getting excited and it''s not even mine! Will you be looking at another J SI in the 2+ ct range?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 8:16:38 PM
Author: CareBear
Did I read correctly? Mara is upgrading??!! I'm getting excited and it's not even mine! Will you be looking at another J SI in the 2+ ct range?
I'm excited too.
CareBear your post struck me as funny, b/c it sounds like the same tone you'd use if you found out an acquaintance/old friend is pregnant. Oh, so and so's expecting!? Oh, Mara's upgrading?!
Somehow (at this point in my life) (no offense anyone) I'd be a lot more excited to be upgrading than to be expecting!! But neither will be happening anytime soon for me!
Gail

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
HI,
I had the Royal Crown setting, but I wound up selling it when I had a custom setting done, but it is my all time favorite 6 prong setting.
I actually liked so much, that I purchased a used one later on and set it with a fakey stone.

Ii is 3.2 mm at it;s widest point, which is on the sides, but the shank that goes up to the prongs actually taper down to a rounded point. The shank also tapers on the palm side to 2.3 or 2.7 mm, I can''t remember.

It is a very pretty setting and the prongs are unique as they don''t just come up, they actually interlap in a way that you can see your diamond through the setting and even the culet. This makes for extreme easy cleaning, because you can get to that area with a brush.

One good thing about the RC is the way the shank tapers up to the prongs. The taper is actually helpful as it allows a wedding band to sit next to it fairly flush, without too much friction, so any band will basically look perfect with it.

Vatche is a very good company and backs their setting to be free of porosity, defects, etc. as long as they set your diamond for you. This is a lifetime guarantee as well, but they have to set it for you. This also includes porosity if the setting is resized, I believe and I think they will resize it for you free in order to maintain the warranty.

If you chose to have someone else reset your diamond, then the warranty is voided, but some vendors will still back up the setting regardless, for a certain amount of time.

Most of the vendors here will ship out the diamond to Vatche for you, but it will take a few weeks for the entire process. I would have Vatche just set my diamond as they will customize the prongs specifically for your diamond and can fix it if there happen to be any problems with it.

You can specifically request how high you want your diamond to sit in the setting and Vatche will accommodate you. For the most part, the setting is fairlly low set, but you can request it to sit high, medium or as low as possible.

I wanted to point out one more thing, When Vatche sets the diamond, you have to request which way you want the diamond sits, otherwise they will set it so the table sits at an angle, like instead of the arrows starting at 12 o''clock, they will be slightly off, like at 1:30 instead. I don''t know why they do that, but I think it''s because they want to remember they set it and not someone else, or maybe the setter is cock-eyed

9.gif
!

And last but not least, when Vatche sets the diamond, the prongs with be slightly pointed and round at the same time, so not round round, but not clawlike either, and the 12 o''clock and 6 o''clock prongs are fatter than the others and not completely centered, but that''s just the nature of the setting.

As far as quality, they are excellent.
2.gif

Whew, just my .17 cents.
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a profile picture. You can see the cathedral shank and how it tapers to a rounded point. YOu can also see how easy it is to clean the diamond as well.
2.gif

104_0493 (5).JPG

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a close up of the prongs, you can see that they are slightly pointed and rounded at the same time. You can also see how the arrows/table is slightly off.
The 12 and 6 o''clock prongs are not too different on this one, but I have seen where it is different as in slightly fatter and off center.

104_0497 (7).JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 8:25:52 PM
Author: gailrmv

Did I read correctly? Mara is upgrading??!! I'm getting excited and it's not even mine! Will you be looking at another J SI in the 2+ ct range?
I'm excited too.
CareBear your post struck me as funny, b/c it sounds like the same tone you'd use if you found out an acquaintance/old friend is pregnant. Oh, so and so's expecting!? Oh, Mara's upgrading?!
Somehow (at this point in my life) (no offense anyone) I'd be a lot more excited to be upgrading than to be expecting!! But neither will be happening anytime soon for me!
Gail
Haha well I'm really excited too!!
2.gif

LOL I read CareBear's post the same way as well....yep I'm focusing on J SI again...it would be fab to find something with MB fluor but beggars can't be choosers.
9.gif
This is the last big one for a long time so have to make it count!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks butterfly 17!! that's the exact pics i was looking for. i think i had saved them on another computer....

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 9:01:56 PM
Author: jcrow
thanks butterfly 17!! that''s the exact pics i was looking for. i think i had saved them on another computer....
Your welcome! I also have this picture of how it looks with a 3 mm. comfort fit band.

I will try to take a better picture of it with a band when I can.
2.gif

sideview (3).jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Kristy I love your set as is but I would be concerned for security too. Have you thought about the stuller solstice (like Patty''s) with 6 prong?
I''m sorry to say, while I do like the RC and am a big fan of Vatche, the RC is not my very favorite. I do like it, but something about the way the 2 additional prongs sort of spring forth from atop the other 4 prongs is not my favorite design feature. I have the X prong (4 prong) and I feel like it is more secure than with my old 4 prong tiff replica similar to your current ring (although mine was not as nice as yours, much thinner too). With my X prong, something about the basket and the way the prongs come up make it seem like I''d be much more likely to whack the prong than the girdle. Of course my stone is not nearly as big either. But they do make a new tapered version, the royal x prong, which combines some of the best features of the x prong with the RC.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 8:35:56 PM
Author: butterfly 17
Here is a profile picture. You can see the cathedral shank and how it tapers to a rounded point. YOu can also see how easy it is to clean the diamond as well.
2.gif
I love that side profile shot- mainly of the basket setting of that shared prong band.
It was my inspiration for my seven stone band. Love it

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
sevens-- u must have been reading my mind... i just looked at my wedding band and wish/wondered if it would have been possible to have an open basket on my shared pong band...
39.gif

oh why oh why didn''t i ask WF?? oh well! too late, and i''m only getting one band....no looking back...

stermag

Shiny_Rock
This is merely a side note: my new engagement ring (RC) is the first and only piece of jewelery I''ve ever worn on my hands and I''ve only been wearing it for a couple of days, but already I am at a point where I''m completely unaware of it being on my finger (in terms of how it feels, of course).

It''s very comfortable.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2006 9:00:11 PM

I'm excited too.
Gail
2.gif

LOL I read CareBear's post the same way as well....yep I'm focusing on J SI again...it would be fab to find something with MB fluor but beggars can't be choosers.
9.gif
I didn't realize what it sounded like until I re-read it! haha! I'm more excited about upgrades than expecting too! And I love it when PSers upgrade cos it's guaranteed to be a big honker! Yum! There should be a pre-Mara's upgrade #3 thread!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I ADORE the RC setting. In fact, I like it so much I considered getting a round stone (gasp!) just for the setting. However, the other options posted are all nice as well. Tough decision! One thing you might want to check is the height of the head; with a large stone, setting it lower will keep you from banging it on things
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock

Did I read correctly? Mara is upgrading??!! I''m getting excited and it''s not even mine! Will you be looking at another J SI in the 2+ ct range?

I''m excited too.

CareBear your post struck me as funny, b/c it sounds like the same tone you''d use if you found out an acquaintance/old friend is pregnant. Oh, so and so''s expecting!? Oh, Mara''s upgrading?!

Somehow (at this point in my life) (no offense anyone) I''d be a lot more excited to be upgrading than to be expecting!! But neither will be happening anytime soon for me!

Gail

Haha well I''m really excited too!!
2.gif

LOL I read CareBear''s post the same way as well....yep I''m focusing on J SI again...it would be fab to find something with MB fluor but beggars can''t be choosers.
9.gif

I have to ask this, but what''s "a long time"? A year? Two?
2.gif
I''m guessing that, in 10 years, you''ll have at LEAST a 10ct stone on your finger
9.gif
Can''t wait to see the next upgrade! Oh, and don''t you DARE go changing your setting! It''s too beautiful! I think a larger stone will look fabulous with it!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 2:38:01 AM
Author: researcher

I'm excited too.

Gail

2.gif

9.gif

I have to ask this, but what's 'a long time'? A year? Two?
2.gif
I'm guessing that, in 10 years, you'll have at LEAST a 10ct stone on your finger
9.gif
Can't wait to see the next upgrade! Oh, and don't you DARE go changing your setting! It's too beautiful! I think a larger stone will look fabulous with it!!!
Hah a 10c by year 10, I wish. No not a year or two...I mean a REAL long time. hehee. Well in diamond-obsessed-speak anyway. I had to agree that this was it on 'large diamond purchases' (e-ring) til year 10. Well...we never qualified what 'large diamond purchases' means...so you never really know
31.gif
...I would not be averse to a well-cut K diamond if WF carries those eventually, and huge cost savings so maybe I could beg and wheedle it in before then. But who knows what the future brings. I also told him that this agreement does not mean I can't turn my ring into a 3 stone in a few more years...
5.gif
I figure that I will have to do a few things in order to keep it interesting until year 10!! That's 8 years away!!
40.gif

I don't even want to think about what a 3c+ will cost in 8 years...maybe I'll get lucky and there will be some sort of diamond downturn just for that year, hehee. But if the prices keep climbing the way they have been, I don't even know if I'd want to spend that kind of $$ on a 3c+. The prices really get insano around 3c as I'm sure you 3c+ gals know!
39.gif
Part of how I got the green light for the upgrade this year was because of all the price hikes. I said well if I wait til 2007 then it may be as much as 15% more. It would totally be ridiculous to pay that extra when you don't have to, don't you think so honey pie? Here's some more wine.
12.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 2:46:37 AM

I''m excited too.

CareBear your post struck me as funny, b/c it sounds like the same tone you''d use if you found out an acquaintance/old friend is pregnant. Oh, so and so''s expecting!? Oh, Mara''s upgrading?!

Somehow (at this point in my life) (no offense anyone) I''d be a lot more excited to be upgrading than to be expecting!! But neither will be happening anytime soon for me!

Gail

2.gif

LOL I read CareBear''s post the same way as well....yep I''m focusing on J SI again...it would be fab to find something with MB fluor but beggars can''t be choosers.
9.gif

I have to ask this, but what''s ''a long time''? A year? Two?
2.gif
I''m guessing that, in 10 years, you''ll have at LEAST a 10ct stone on your finger
9.gif
Can''t wait to see the next upgrade! Oh, and don''t you DARE go changing your setting! It''s too beautiful! I think a larger stone will look fabulous with it!!!

Hah a 10c by year 10, I wish. No not a year or two...I mean a REAL long time. hehee. Well in diamond-obsessed-speak anyway. I had to agree that this was it on ''large diamond purchases'' til year 10. Well...we never qualified what ''large diamond purchases'' means...so you never really know
31.gif
...I would not be averse to a well-cut K diamond if WF carries those eventually, and huge cost savings so maybe I could beg and wheedle it in before then. But who knows what the future brings. I also told him that this agreement does not mean I can''t turn my ring into a 3 stone in a few more years...
5.gif
I figure that I will have to do a few things in order to keep it interesting until year 10!! That''s 8 years away!!
40.gif

I don''t even want to think about what a 3c+ will cost in 8 years...maybe I''ll get lucky and there will be some sort of diamond downturn just for that year, hehee. But if the prices keep climbing the way they have been, I don''t even know if I''d want to spend that kind of $$ on a 3c+. The prices really get insano around 3c as I''m sure you 3c+ gals know!
39.gif
Part of how I got the green light for the upgrade this year was because of all the price hikes. I said well if I wait til 2007 then it may be as much as 15% more. It would totally be ridiculous to pay that extra when you don''t have to, don''t you think so honey pie? Here''s some more wine.
12.gif

Keep your fingers crossed that people will stop wanting round stones, and move on to marquise cuts or something. That way there won''t be the same demand and you can get your 3+ct stone at a great price!
31.gif

Otherwise you''re going to have to keep upgrading each year by a little bit more so you''ll have a better trade up value!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 2:52:19 AM

Date: 3/8/2006 2:46:37 AM

I''m excited too.

Gail

2.gif

9.gif

I have to ask this, but what''s ''a long time''? A year? Two?
2.gif
9.gif

Hah a 10c by year 10, I wish. No not a year or two...I mean a REAL long time. hehee. Well in diamond-obsessed-speak anyway. I had to agree that this was it on ''large diamond purchases'' til year 10. Well...we never qualified what ''large diamond purchases'' means...so you never really know
31.gif
...I would not be averse to a well-cut K diamond if WF carries those eventually, and huge cost savings so maybe I could beg and wheedle it in before then. But who knows what the future brings. I also told him that this agreement does not mean I can''t turn my ring into a 3 stone in a few more years...
5.gif
I figure that I will have to do a few things in order to keep it interesting until year 10!! That''s 8 years away!!
40.gif

I don''t even want to think about what a 3c+ will cost in 8 years...maybe I''ll get lucky and there will be some sort of diamond downturn just for that year, hehee. But if the prices keep climbing the way they have been, I don''t even know if I''d want to spend that kind of $$ on a 3c+. The prices really get insano around 3c as I''m sure you 3c+ gals know!
39.gif
Part of how I got the green light for the upgrade this year was because of all the price hikes. I said well if I wait til 2007 then it may be as much as 15% more. It would totally be ridiculous to pay that extra when you don''t have to, don''t you think so honey pie? Here''s some more wine.
12.gif

Keep your fingers crossed that people will stop wanting round stones, and move on to marquise cuts or something. That way there won''t be the same demand and you can get your 3+ct stone at a great price!
31.gif

Otherwise you''re going to have to keep upgrading each year by a little bit more so you''ll have a better trade up value!
I know, I thought about that too.....well what''s another $1-2k every 2 years?
31.gif
I don''t think that qualifies as a large diamond purchase?! hehee. That or we could try to steer all PS''ers in year 10 to marquises so I could get a cheap round. HAH!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristy I think that is a good plan with your setting, it will only worry you otherwise and I think 6 prongs would be great.

Mara, we are all on tenterhooks waiting and wondering, will you one day spring it on us?????????
41.gif
I can''t wait to see what you get!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 1:32:21 PM
Author: Lorelei
Kristy I think that is a good plan with your setting, it will only worry you otherwise and I think 6 prongs would be great.

Mara, we are all on tenterhooks waiting and wondering, will you one day spring it on us?????????
41.gif
I can''t wait to see what you get!
36.gif
Oh I won''t be SO evil. I will definitely give you guys a bit of notice....heheee.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results