shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering new solitaire setting for my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 2:00:28 PM
Author: Mara
Date: 3/8/2006 1:32:21 PM

Author: Lorelei

Kristy I think that is a good plan with your setting, it will only worry you otherwise and I think 6 prongs would be great.

Mara, we are all on tenterhooks waiting and wondering, will you one day spring it on us?????????
41.gif
I can''t wait to see what you get!
36.gif

Oh I won''t be SO evil. I will definitely give you guys a bit of notice....heheee.
9.gif

Isn''t there a spring trip to Wf in the works?
27.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 2:17:36 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Kristy I think that is a good plan with your setting, it will only worry you otherwise and I think 6 prongs would be great.

Mara, we are all on tenterhooks waiting and wondering, will you one day spring it on us?????????
41.gif
36.gif

Oh I won''t be SO evil. I will definitely give you guys a bit of notice....heheee.
9.gif

27.gif
Maybe.
9.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, for your honest opinions and suggestions.
emsmile.gif

Butterfly 17 -- that was a wealth of very helpful information. Thanks so much!! Question -- do you know what is the approximate depth (thickness) of the shank? I want it to match my w-band, which is a domed 2.3mm heavy comfort fit.

So, I currently have two calls out to local jewelers. I''ve asked them to get me a price quote for having my stone set in the RC, with the shank tapered down to 2.5mm to match the width of my w-band. The only thing that gives me pause is that my understanding is the RC and Vatche in general is VERY expensive. I mean, I just dropped some coin on this custom JA setting, so I''m hesitant to drop another couple thou on yet another ring. My appraiser suggested that I call up Suetake Brothers, local benchmen here in SF. Apparently they do stellar high-end work (they provide jewelry to Kristi Yamaguchi''s family and local high-end B&Ms like Shreve) and are reasonably priced. My appraiser said they might be able to work with my current ring to swap out the head and replace it with a head similar to the RC. That way, I can make use of my current setting AND get the 6-prong head that I want. I''ll have to do some more research.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kristy, I think that Sterm said in her other thread that her setting was $1100 or something? So maybe yours wouldn''t be too much more? Not sure how much for a 3.5c would be! But keep us posted!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kristy,
I can''t say exactly what the depth is, it is definitely domed shaped as it is a comfort fit band. You may not have to actually have it customized to 2.5mm as the 3.2mm at its widest point is so barely noticeable because it only stays that way for a little length of the shank before it starts to taper in either direction.

There is a company that sells a replica of the Royal Crown that I found on the BTD website. The replica looks almost identical except for the part where the shank meets the prongs, it sort of goes up and squares off. I will try to look for it for you and post a picture.
I believe they sell theirs for less, but I don''t know how much less.
Let me see if I can find it.
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here it is. It is called the Celeste setting and you can see the difference in this picture. Mario from Bella Jeweler''s sells it, but I have never actually purchased anything from them

See how the shank comes up a bit more? Also, it has that squared european shank to prevent the ring from turning on your finger.

290372-celeste1.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a hand shot. This setting is definitely thinner than the royal crown. And for reference it is a 8 mm. stone on a size 6.5 finger.

290372-celeste4.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Last picture showing how similar the prongs look from the side profile.

290372-celeste2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a close replica but is it just me or does it look cheapo?

Part of it is that funky squared off cathedral shank part and the metal looks all tinny or something..the side views aren't as bad but that top down view, it looks like it's sterling silver or something.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2006 8:01:32 PM
That''s a close replica but is it just me or does it look cheapo?

Part of it is that funky squared off cathedral shank part and the metal looks all tinny or something..the side views aren''t as bad but that top down view, it looks like it''s sterling silver or something.

Actually, this one is not in platinum, but in 14kt. white gold, so that is probably why. Platinum is icy white whereas white gold is more a warm white.

Yes, I definitely prefer the Royal Crown, but I figured I would show her what other options are out there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2006 2:43:36 PM

Date: 3/8/2006 2:17:36 PM

41.gif
36.gif

9.gif

27.gif
Maybe.
9.gif

Thank goodness for that! You know Mara that you getting an upgrade is nearly as good as ourselves getting one! A bit of notice and the odd hint would be great!
3.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I went to a local B&M last weekend to look at the Royal Crown in person, and well, although it''s gorgeous in every photo I''ve seen, it just didn''t "grab" me when I saw it in real life. I can''t explain why. Maybe it was all the 3-stone rings winking at me in the display case.
emembarrassed.gif

I''d never given much thought to 3-stone rings in the past...I didn''t think I could carry off so much bling. But, after living with my 3.56 carat upgrade for 5 months now, I''m thinking I could possibly swing it.
emotion-14.gif
So, I''ve been actively researching various 3-stone settings, with sidestones of approximately .8 to 1.0 total carat weight (I''m leaning toward the smaller end of the spectrum). I really liked the classic 3-stone basket setting that I saw at the B&M, but they wanted $4300 for it. No thanks!

My current frontrunners are Kaleigh''s Tiffany 3-stone basket setting (tho I''d get a non-branded replica), and Leon Mege''s round center with pear sidestones, in basket setting with double claw prongs. I actually talked with Leon this morning, and although he is definitely a man of, um, artistic temperament, I agreed with all his ideas and found him to be very reasonably priced. Also, Jim at James Allen is researching side stones for me....if I went with him, I''d ask him to make a replica of Kaleigh''s beauty. :)

So, that''s what''s what! I''ll make my final decision this week and hopefully ship my precious out for her new setting by early next week. I really miss having her on my finger.
7.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 3:39:42 PM
Author: KristyDarling
Update: I went to a local B&M last weekend to look at the Royal Crown in person, and well, although it''s gorgeous in every photo I''ve seen, it just didn''t ''grab'' me when I saw it in real life. I can''t explain why. Maybe it was all the 3-stone rings winking at me in the display case.
emembarrassed.gif

I''d never given much thought to 3-stone rings in the past...I didn''t think I could carry off so much bling. But, after living with my 3.56 carat upgrade for 5 months now, I''m thinking I could possibly swing it.
emotion-14.gif
So, I''ve been actively researching various 3-stone settings, with sidestones of approximately .8 to 1.0 total carat weight (I''m leaning toward the smaller end of the spectrum). I really liked the classic 3-stone basket setting that I saw at the B&M, but they wanted $4300 for it. No thanks!

My current frontrunners are Kaleigh''s Tiffany 3-stone basket setting (tho I''d get a non-branded replica), and Leon Mege''s round center with pear sidestones, in basket setting with double claw prongs. I actually talked with Leon this morning, and although he is definitely a man of, um, artistic temperament, I agreed with all his ideas and found him to be very reasonably priced. Also, Jim at James Allen is researching side stones for me....if I went with him, I''d ask him to make a replica of Kaleigh''s beauty. :)

So, that''s what''s what! I''ll make my final decision this week and hopefully ship my precious out for her new setting by early next week. I really miss having her on my finger.
7.gif
Well I say you have good taste, hehe. I love the Leon, that is a stunner. Good luck deciding. My ring will have a big sister.
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am very anxious to see what you end up with. you are my size twin..3.5 and I'm going to LOVE seeing what a 3 stone looks like with your huge rock as the center star. I have been considering a 3 stone for my own upgrade, on a mini scale of your future and kaleigh's current e-rings.

kaleigh, my ring can be your little sis
3.gif

edit to fix spelling, of couse kaleigh quoted me so the errors have already been duplicated
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 3:55:02 PM
I am very axious to see what you end up with. you are my size twin..3.5 and I''m going to LOVE seeing what a 3 stone looks like with your huge rock as the center star. I have been considering a 3 stone for my own upgrade, on a mini scale of your future and kaleigh''s current e-rings.

kaliegh, my ring can be your little sis
3.gif
We can be triplets!!!
9.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I want to join -- quadruplets? =)

Kaleigh, your ring is SO gorgeous. 4 prongs hold your center stone, but do the other 2 add stability or are they just there for your pretty pears?

36.gif
30.gif
31.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow. didn'' t see a three stone coming...
it should be fab!
are you sure there''s enough side room for other stones (since your center stone is so large and your ring size is so tiny)?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 8:57:47 PM
Author: Julian
I want to join -- quadruplets? =)

Kaleigh, your ring is SO gorgeous. 4 prongs hold your center stone, but do the other 2 add stability or are they just there for your pretty pears?

36.gif
30.gif
31.gif
Thanks Julian.
1.gif
The pears are there just to be pretty. The center stone has never come loose in all the years I''ve had it. Knock on wood. (This is where I get supersticious as soon as I say that I''ll have a problem. ) Just kidding. The prongs are super tight and I get them checked regularly.
2.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Cow, jcrow -- check out your arrows!

Beautiful!!!

30.gif

Like all of you ladies, I love the bling! 3 stone = more bling!!!
And I don''t like wearing two bands. I love love love the look but I don''t like the clicking.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh, I think your set is my new dream set.

Did Leon Mege design your setting? Is the center set high? It just POPS!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 10:48:05 PM

Darn Kaleigh we never got a good profile shot of your ring.
There''s my "new" excuse for another visit. MORE PICS!!!
36.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
this is a side shot from the website

engagement_fancy_pearsides2.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

No it''s from Tiffany''s. But I love the one by Leon, especially the double claw prongs. That is just yummy.
Oh my center stone isn''t set high. Just a tad bit higher than the pears.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quadruplets -- let''s do it!

Jcrow -- heehee, my husband didn''t see it coming either. He''s still trying to find a way to stop me...futile, of course. With my ring size, I can probably pull off pear sidestones of around .4ct each. .5ct *might* be possible, depending on the angling of the setting, i.e. how it "wraps" around the curve of my finger.

Kaleigh -- Shame on me for not knowing off the bat, but please remind me -- what are the carat weights of your center and sides? The proportion is so perfect because that center stone really does pop!

Julian -- I know, isn''t Kaleigh''s ring something else?? The Leon Mege version of her ring is very similar, even in side profile (basket setting). The main difference is the double claw prongs holding the center stone. And in Leon''s pic, there appears to be some kind of knife edge in the shank (which I would probably not have in mine).

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so we have it here for reference....the Leon 3-stone with pear sides!

Leon 3stonewpears.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 12:32:08 AM
Quadruplets -- let''s do it!

Jcrow -- heehee, my husband didn''t see it coming either. He''s still trying to find a way to stop me...futile, of course. With my ring size, I can probably pull off pear sidestones of around .4ct each. .5ct *might* be possible, depending on the angling of the setting, i.e. how it ''wraps'' around the curve of my finger.

Kaleigh -- Shame on me for not knowing off the bat, but please remind me -- what are the carat weights of your center and sides? The proportion is so perfect because that center stone really does pop!

Julian -- I know, isn''t Kaleigh''s ring something else?? The Leon Mege version of her ring is very similar, even in side profile (basket setting). The main difference is the double claw prongs holding the center stone. And in Leon''s pic, there appears to be some kind of knife edge in the shank (which I would probably not have in mine).
My center stone is 2.36 E VVS2, the sides are .34 each , .68 total for the pears. HTH
1.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon directed me to this diagram on his site and said that this is how it would look in profile:

ring parts.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, I think your set is my new dream set. Is the center set high? It just POPS!
Me thinks it POPS ''cause it''s *cough* HUGE!!! You know, and GORGEOUS, blah blah
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2006 12:37:03 AM

Leon directed me to this diagram on his site and said that this is how it would look in profile...
Wow, that would be allot of diamond on a small-size ring. Way cool! Hope to see this one coming up soon enough.

Don''t they make wider pears these days? (hearts? - those are wider). If the steep angle of the stones is a problem.

Anyway, I am sure whatever they make it will be fantastic.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results