shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering new solitaire setting for my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had to see what this might look like!
5.gif

... hope you don't mind
4.gif

drawingaring_KD.JPG

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mind? Of course not!!! This is great, Ana!! :) Thanks so much. You are a graphic goddess! It re-confirms in my mind that pears OR heart sides would make a stunning ring. Now I just have to decide which. So the hearts will provide a "fatter" but shorter look than the pears, right? That might work out better since the ring size is so small. Does anyone know how fiery hearts are in general? More or less so than pears?

After sleeping on it a few more days, I think I''m going to go with the LM setting. I plan to send him my current ring on Monday, and as the next step, Leon will start his hunt for sidestones based on his thoughts about my center stone. I will probably ask him to bring in both hearts and pears, and then will post the pics here for the all-important PS input. :)

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
Can''t wait to see how it turns out. I am sure it is going to be absolutely gorgeous! Tell Leon to hurry up
18.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Court. Leon says the ring will take 4-6 weeks, but most likely 6 weeks since he''s pretty busy right now. The wait is going to be sheer agony!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How exciting another masterpiece from Leon!!!! I can't wait to see the sides he brings in for you!!!
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Kristy, I''m so glad you decided to go with Leon. I can''t wait to see what you and he come up with and I know it''s going to be fabulous
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2006 9:10:33 AM
Author: KristyDarling

Does anyone know how fiery hearts are in general? More or less so than pears?

IMO, both shapes are in about the same boat. Fine pairs of sidestones should be available in either. Given the large center and small ring size... either shape will make the diamonds 'span the finger' - there shouldn't be any bit of setting seen face up.

Perhaps short sidestones would make the ring more confortable, and bright... because the sides would be less tilted - at about 30 degrees inclination they should loose much of the brightness, as much as i can tell - so if the sides end up set very steep, it would be hard to see both the center and the sides facing up at their best behavior. Although, I can't imagine the sides so much tilted.

Anyway, I am quite sure you will end with perfectly sensible sidestones and a delicious ring!
36.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Ana. That makes very good sense. I can see how overly tilted sides would affect their performance. I''ll keep that in mind! :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kristy, have you shipped your ring off to Leon yet?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs. S -- no I haven''t. I''m still waiting for Leon to let me know how much I should make my deposit check out for. I''m really gonna miss my "baby!"

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes - that''s got to hurt - the wait Kristy, but for that scrumptious setting so worth it!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 10:34:42 AM
Author: KristyDarling
Mrs. S -- no I haven''t. I''m still waiting for Leon to let me know how much I should make my deposit check out for. I''m really gonna miss my ''baby!''

I know how you feel. I was without my old e-ring for 4 weeks last year when I had it put into my Quest setting. It was torture but well worth it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwww....I''m bummed you decided to nix the solitaire look and go for a 3 stone...it will definitely give you more bling but I just so love the look of a solitaire on your finger! I''m sure the finished product will be lovely but WAHHH!!! No more beautiful solitaire pictures for us of your 3.5 monster!!

Seems like we are going to be overrun with LM round and pear combos!! yours, virginia''s and aren''t there a few others considering them? hehe.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 1:34:13 PM
Author: Mara

I was just telling kaleigh, it''s so funny how PS goes in trends, way ahead of everyone else of course
9.gif
. We seems to have a bunch of eternity or semi eternity sets and then a bunch of halo rings and now it seems the 3 stones with pear sides are in abundance. If I did a 3 stone the Leon one would be one of my top pics too
27.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 1:38:30 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 3/20/2006 1:34:13 PM

I was just telling kaleigh, it''s so funny how PS goes in trends, way ahead of everyone else of course
9.gif
. We seems to have a bunch of eternity or semi eternity sets and then a bunch of halo rings and now it seems the 3 stones with pear sides are in abundance. If I did a 3 stone the Leon one would be one of my top pics too
27.gif
No one could guessed the pear sides would be the 2006 trend for PS...remember the thread at the beginning of the year about what the trends would be this year? This one was a sleeper!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 2:00:46 PM

No one could guessed the pear sides would be the 2006 trend for PS...remember the thread at the beginning of the year about what the trends would be this year? This one was a sleeper!

Very true. I wonder if some of the pave issues have steered people away from those types of settings and it''s back to classic across the finger bling? At least that''s what''s got me thinking in that direction.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2006 3:12:33 PM
Author: Virginia
KristyDarling:

BTW- did Leon tell you (or did you ask) if a wedding band would sit flush (or kind-of flush) with the design?

As far as I know a traditional basket setting with pear sides does not allow for a wedding band to sit flush. Ritani makes a 3 stone with pears that does though. Most of Leon''s rings are designed without a wedding band in mind. When I spoke with him months ago about a setting he said he doesn''t recommend wearing a wedding band on the same hand and if I did, to only do so seldomly. There is one set on his site where he made the rings to match. My somewhat educated guess would be that a wedding band will not sit flush or kind-of with that setting. But, kaleigh''s eternity band doesn''t sit flush with her beautiful Tiffany classic so it can still look beautiful.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha - Mara. I''m so sorry to disappoint you. But the 3-stone as the next PS trend? I suppose it may end up heading in that direction! (although 3-stones with pear sides are just about as old as time. Still a classic look, IMO) I do love, love, love the simplicity of a solitaire setting. But in the end, my greedy diamond-loving self won out. What can I say....I''m weak!! I''m sure that Leon (and all of you PSers!) will keep me grounded though, to make sure that I don''t end up with obnoxiously large side stones. Hopefully some small, cute, and very sparkly heart sides are in my future! I definitely do not want any pave or any other micro-detail. I just don''t want to deal with the maintenance. There''s just something about the clean and simple look of diamonds in a plain mount spanning the width of the finger -- YUM!!!

Virginia -- Mrssalvo is right, most 3-stone basket settings are not designed with a w-band in mind, so they generally don''t sit flush. I talked with Leon about this, and he does not recommend wearing a w-band with the vast majority of his rings. I''ll still end up wearing a band with mine, just so I look married and not engaged, and I know there will be a gap. But I happen to like gaps. :) And since there won''t be any pave on my ring, there''s no danger of anything rubbing up and causing damage.

I spent most of today holed up in bed with a cold so I never got a chance to send my ring out to Leon. But I''ll definitely get right on it tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results