shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

I just returned the lavendar spinel to Gene that I was going to use in my JKT Katie ring. The lavendar was just a few shades to light for what I wanted. It was beautiful though. I thought about holding on to it just because i thought it was an amazing price point, however for once my brain won me over with the steady reminder that i have 13 other projects in the works currently.

I have decided that i'm going to use a neo green tourmaline cut by Dana for my katie ring instead. i have had the stone since last year and I think it would look nice set in silver/ green gold. the shape is a roval.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Sarahbear621 said:
I just returned the lavendar spinel to Gene that I was going to use in my JKT Katie ring. The lavendar was just a few shades to light for what I wanted. It was beautiful though. I thought about holding on to it just because i thought it was an amazing price point, however for once my brain won me over with the steady reminder that i have 13 other projects in the works currently.

I have decided that i'm going to use a neo green tourmaline cut by Dana for my katie ring instead. i have had the stone since last year and I think it would look nice set in silver/ green gold. the shape is a roval.
hi sarah, do you pls have a photo of the spinel? I'm on the lookout for lavender/violet spinel for a project of my own. I like the sounds of your plans for your Katie ring, looking forward to seeing the results ::)

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry if I have this all wrong, Sarahbear...

AJ, I think she may have meant the spinel from Finewatergems. It's 2 pages back and she has it labeled as the stone for her JKT Katie ring.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

baby nurse said:

AJ, I think she may have meant the spinel from Finewatergems. It's 2 pages back and she has it labeled as the stone for her JKT Katie ring.

thanks BN! looks like you are spot on, as Gene didn't know to what I was referring lol..

Thanks for the clarification - but who can blame Sarah for getting a lil mixed with soooooo many fun projects, right :D ::)

SB621

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane said:
baby nurse said:

thanks BN! looks like you are spot on, as Gene didn't know to what I was referring lol..

Thanks for the clarification - but who can blame Sarah for getting a lil mixed with soooooo many fun projects, right :D ::)
Opps Sorry!!!!! :oops: I didn't mean to confuse Gene and Gary! But yes I am all over the place with so many projects and I just added a pearl/ gemstone bracelet to the mix.

My thoughts on the spinel were it was lovely. You definitely couldn't see the imperfections very well in RL- the vendor photo definitely didn't do it justice so I was pleased on that account. However, the shade of lavendar was just to pale for me in RL. I wanted something just a bit darker. Definietely contact FW if you are interested. It should be there by the end of this week.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock

iv posted some pics before but these are several sweet items i enjoy working with-some upgraded-bottom, rutiled quartz, next up, columbia emerald, top, demantoid garnet-some showing horsetail inclusions-pretty good color-steve...

030.JPG

043.JPG

069.JPG

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Update...my old projects are all still in the works (the waiting is killing me!)...

file.jpg

But I've still been bad and keep buying new rocks. Here's a "pine green" Barry tourmaline bought second-hand (actually third-hand) and a blue/gray color-shift spinel cut by Dr. Grey Weaver and sold by Dana:

And finally, I contacted Gene about cutting me a tsavorite after seeing MTG's from Barry and AJ's from Gene. It's hard to find nice tsavorites of some size on my limited budget, but Gene came through for me with a 5.11x5.79, 0.8ct classic cushion:

barry pine green tourmaline.jpg

22361.jpg

1053.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

wow, jstar, what a stunning tsav! Do you have it yet? I need photos!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

No, I actually haven't paid yet (waiting for the invoice from Gene). But I'm excited too! Though Gene's pricing is more than fair, I stretched my budget for this one, and I don't think I'll regret it.

purplemelody

Rough_Rock

Hi, didn't want to start a new thread with a quick question ... just wondering, for peridots, if choosing between two similar peridots in colour, size and portuguese cut, is it better to pick the one with more or less facets? Thanks :)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Great purchases and projects everyone! I shouldn't look at this thread, too much enabling!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

jstarfireb|1289070416|2756963 said:
Update...my old projects are all still in the works (the waiting is killing me!)...

file.jpg

But I've still been bad and keep buying new rocks. Here's a "pine green" Barry tourmaline bought second-hand (actually third-hand) and a blue/gray color-shift spinel cut by Dr. Grey Weaver and sold by Dana:

And finally, I contacted Gene about cutting me a tsavorite after seeing MTG's from Barry and AJ's from Gene. It's hard to find nice tsavorites of some size on my limited budget, but Gene came through for me with a 5.11x5.79, 0.8ct classic cushion:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That tsav is TDF! Wow. Congratulations!

I love the tourmaline and spinel, too, but that tsavorite..... :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I bought these mint/grossular garnets from dana. I'm now considering a 3 stone pendant for my new Barry tsav. An oec, the smaller grossular garnet below, and my barry tsav. Or I could even do a 4 stone with my oec and all these green garnets!

dmint.jpg

dmint2.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ohhhh I'm glad you got those MTG! I've been eyeing those and the single round for so long! Loooove the colors! I think a pendant would be beautiful!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1289184855|2758012 said:
Ohhhh I'm glad you got those MTG! I've been eyeing those and the single round for so long! Loooove the colors! I think a pendant would be beautiful!

Thanks!

Yeah, i was going to try for a 3 stone with 2 oecs, but it's really hard to find an oec to match mine! And I figure I already have a tsav ring...might as well as a tsav pendant to go with it!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Aoife|1289090600|2757142 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That tsav is TDF! Wow. Congratulations!

I love the tourmaline and spinel, too, but that tsavorite..... :love:

Thanks! I can't wait to see it in person. The tourmaline and spinel didn't photograph that well, but they're really beautiful in person.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

purplemelody|1289090244|2757135 said:
Hi, didn't want to start a new thread with a quick question ... just wondering, for peridots, if choosing between two similar peridots in colour, size and portuguese cut, is it better to pick the one with more or less facets? Thanks :)

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'd have to see both stones to decide. I think it would depend on how big they are and consequentially how "busy" the extra facets would look.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

My Precision Gem 1.5ct cushion tsavorite arrived this afternoon, and it is fan-freakin-tastic!! :appl: :appl: :love:
Honestly, I am not embarassed to say, it is Tsavorite Tspectacular..he he..

I know it is not necessarily fair to compare, but at least in my case I am exceedingly glad I sent back the non-precision cut tsav from Swala, and had this one done by Gene. And althogh they came from very similar rough and the Swala cushion had great colour - there is a world of difference between the two.
My new cushion literally glows, even right now at night in dim lighting; the glow reminds me more of a cuprian green tourmaline than a garnet! It also sparkles likes nuts, even giving my AVC ering a run for its sparkle-factor ::)
It is a bright, vibrant pure grass/apple green.
Unfortunately, I have finally learned that lesson that everyone mentions, how green is the hardest gem colour to photog ;(

This is Gene's pic, but it hardly does the real gem justice:

I'm afraid by the time the package got delivered this arvo, it was too overcast & muggy to get any decent photos - because I know not to do so would be a PITA, I've added a couple - but with the caveat that it looks like almost a different gem in the pics compared to RL - its so much prettier that the camera couldn't capture :cry:

Anyhow, I'm super super happy with this tsav, and am also super grateful to Gene for coming through with the 'just right for me' gem; and also to Eric of Swala for being gracious & helpful while I returned the 'not so right for me' gem. ;-)

Once I have some more accurate / nicer pics I will start a thread..

tsav PG.JPG

DSC08625rs.JPG

DSC08629rs.JPG

DSC08648rs.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJ: I can only imagine the sparkle in real life if the pix don't capture it, because that stone looks gorgeous and lit up in the pix you took! What a phenomenal stone! Nice going, and congrats on not settling!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe we should call it tsparkletacular :appl:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

That's beautiful, AJ! Glorious color, and it's just hard to beat a precision cut. I'm dying to see what you do with this!

Tsuperb!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1289181335|2757969 said:
I bought these mint/grossular garnets from dana. I'm now considering a 3 stone pendant for my new Barry tsav. An oec, the smaller grossular garnet below, and my barry tsav. Or I could even do a 4 stone with my oec and all these green garnets!

MTG, I love those mint garnets, and am so glad a PS'er got them. Your pendant idea sounds very interesting, and I'd love to hear more about it. Any thoughts about how you'd arrange the stones in the pendant?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJJ,
I know what you mean about the sparkle not being captured on camera. I see it but cannot get my camera to do the same. If you are having a hard time, then I have no hope for myself.

I am currently waiting for the arrival of a beryl and a garnet which should be arriving early next week. Will not spill the beans until I decide they are keepers.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Project #14 is in the works!

I bought this blue topaz off of Dana- it is emerald cut 72.17cts heated and irradated unfortunately. However it was the perfect size and well under the budget- meaning I could spend more on the setting. I will continue looking for my aqua that hopefully one day will replace the topaz.

I'm sending the gemstone to Sally at HOW to have her make a clasp with pearls (that I will sourse) for a bracelet similar to the one below belonging to late Princess of Wales. I have a thread running in the pearl forum about the bracelet if you are interested.

22146.jpg

Aquabracelet61121v2.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sigh...I may be having yet more mail trouble. My pieces from Daniel M still haven't arrived despite having been shipped last week. :(

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh that sucks! Sending some mailman dust!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well...I'm trying to ease the stress by buying something from Barry's drop....
I've been eyeing his opals, and I liked the shape, size, and price of this one!

MVC-109S.JPG

OP-6784g.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1289438942|2760612 said:
Well...I'm trying to ease the stress by buying something from Barry's drop....
I've been eyeing his opals, and I liked the shape, size, and price of this one!

I'm so jealous! I was looking at that one because I love the harlequin pattern. You have to post photos as soon as you get it.

Plans?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rose gold setting that I'm planning on putting a precision cut lavender spinel of 2.5 cts. :naughty:

It changes color from pink to lavender, but I'm not posting photos yet!! :twisted:

TLlanbo4pear.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results