:love: It's gorgeous Cell!
Thanks packrat! I really love this one!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

LovingDiamonds said:
arjunajane said:
Arcadian said:
I'd certainly be interested in seeing your pictures of it AJ. to me the cut looks good. (I think you've been spoiled ma'am! :wink2: )

When I got my tourmaline from Eric I did notice how different it looked from some the other cushions he sells. The cutting is pretty exceptional (at least to me it is) The windmill effect that I feel in love with in the vendor picture is really visible in low light.

so its probable that yours IS in fact precision cut but maybe not to your standards? IMO certain stones to me tends to have a particular 'signature' and sometimes you either will love it, or tolerate it, or totally hate it.

I'm sure the color is really TDF, and your feelings may change a bit after its been set. And pictures are always good, you know how much we love those around these parts :appl:

-A

Hey A, cheers for your post. I think you're probably right about the spoiled thing ;-)
I don't hate it by any means, I actually really like the style of cutting and I Love the colour - the colour is exceptional; I am just wondering whether the cut could do with some 'finishing touches/sprucing up', and whether others would do so with a reasonably valuable stone..(I do realize these are ultimately questions for a lapidary though).

I believe it is a small window (it may only be a tilt window, I'm not great at judging these), that would close with setting as it closes when between my fingers.
It has some (what I believe to be) extinction through the middle, kind of like a bowtie effect in a pear or marquise..I will attempt to capture it tomorrow.
But again, this doesn't show all the time..

I will make sure to post some pictures - I have been desiring this hue & tone of tsav for some time, so I am really excited to own one in a great size (it measures 7.8x7.7x4.6 mm ).

Thanks for your thoughts, and letting me air mine :wavey:

AJ coming to this thread late (apologies). That gem looks very well cut to me as well and I wonder if it's because it's a mixed cut that's throwing you? I doubt if that has a window - tilt perhaps - but not a window per se. The colour is stunning and I have a piece very similar from Eric. BTW, the ladies above are correct about Eric using a German precision cutter for his stones. I had a long email chat with him about it moons ago!

Hey LD, thankyou for your thoughts. I havent posted again as I am in the midst of reaching a solution with Eric. Upon closer inspection, a bunch of macro photos and consulting with a couple of cutters, it is clear the stone has a number of cutting issues and finishing issues, at least in my opinion it is not well cut-the concerns are not evident in the vendor pic but were very easy for me to photograph.
At this stage, out of respect for Eric & Swala I wont go over all the details, but suffice to say I am left with either the choice of a recut and repolish which will result in face up loss of size (and financial loss) or alternatively returning the tsav and starting again. I love the colour but the compromise on the cutting and performance issues is too steep for me. I would like to say I still trust and respect Swala, its just unfortunate that after much discussion this gem is just not for me-which is a real bummer as I very much wanted to love it :(sad

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aj, thats really too bad. :(( I know how much you are into the cut of the stone as well the color, and how hard of a decision that is to make. Its the way it goes sometimes. I think you'll be able to find your dream tsav that has both.

-A

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Arcadian said:
Aj, thats really too bad. :(( I know how much you are into the cut of the stone as well the color, and how hard of a decision that is to make. Its the way it goes sometimes. I think you'll be able to find your dream tsav that has both.

-A

Thanks A, I appreciate your comments.
It is a bit of a bummer as I was so looking forward to this stone (and had saved to be able to own a tsav of decent size for a while), but like you said its important for me personally to find one that has both, especially with a more valuable gem
that I plan to set, likely custom ::)

Will keep you guys updated on any news, cheers again :wavey:

mochi

Ideal_Rock

trying to post a picture....see if this will work

t-6682g_881_general.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane said:
Arcadian said:

-A

It is a bit of a bummer as I was so looking forward to this stone (and had saved to be able to own a tsav of decent size for a while), but like you said its important for me personally to find one that has both, especially with a more valuable gem

Hi AJ :wavey:
I hope you'll find a good resolution with Swalagemtraders, although it's going to be hard to return without the stone getting stolen in the process, or can you return it to a US address? If you decide to recut it hope you won't lose too much face up size and weight.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Lovinggems said:
arjunajane said:
Arcadian said:

-A

I hope you'll find a good resolution with Swalagemtraders, although it's going to be hard to return without the stone getting stolen in the process, or can you return it to a US address? If you decide to recut it hope you won't lose too much face up size and weight.

Thanks LG - on their site it says they have arranged safe returns through the US - it costs $100, but that's fine.
My gem came to me via the UK, so I think they have ways around it ;))
I'm still gathering info, but it is looking like a recut that would 'fix' all my concerns would be prohibitive in both cost and weight/face up size factors :(sad

How are you doing?

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

mochi said:

Mochi,

What is this???

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade said:
I'm really loving this pear, and contacted Bob already to either buy it or order a custom cut like it from a peachy morganite!

SWEET!!!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild said:
Ok, I can't keep it to myself anymore...

DREAMY....I'M IN LOVE!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

cellentani said:
I should have posted this awhile ago, but I finally got my 2.30ct Mahenge spinel from Gary set. It took awhile, but I'm really pleased.

YUMMY....details Cell!!!

Lori

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane said:
Lovinggems said:
arjunajane said:
Arcadian said:

-A

Thanks LG - on their site it says they have arranged safe returns through the US - it costs $100, but that's fine.
My gem came to me via the UK, so I think they have ways around it ;))
I'm still gathering info, but it is looking like a recut that would 'fix' all my concerns would be prohibitive in both cost and weight/face up size factors :(sad

How are you doing?

Thanks Aj, I'm doing fine, it's good to know you can return it easily, can't wait to see your recut Tsav if you decide to keep it!

mochi

Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb said:
loriken214 said:
mochi said:

Mochi,

What is this???

Lori

Looks like Barry's most recent Nigerian mint tourmaline. Am I right, Mochi?
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=3460

DING, DING, DING.....you are correct!!! It has been shipped on a slow donkey from AZ...and I should have it in my hot little hands this week. I'll try to post pictures but since the change in format here at PS, I have been avoiding this place. Will, it's not all PS's fault, I guess. Those darn crops needs harvesting at FV!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Lovinggems said:
Thanks Aj, I'm doing fine, it's good to know you can return it easily, can't wait to see your recut Tsav if you decide to keep it!

Thanks LG!

I thought I'd add an update - after getting assessments from 3 different recommended faceters who offer re-cutting services, and giving each of their opinions a lot of thought, I've decided not to pursue a recut and to instead return the cushion to Swala.
The colour was lovely, but once I crunched the numbers on the projected weight loss, it just didn't make any sense for me to hold onto this gem. :(sad
I'm still in the process of coordinating the return with Eric (who has been very patient and understanding so far), so I'll hold off posting further until its all resolved..

On the other hand I also have some good news (or perhaps concerning news... :sick: );
it would seem I have also caught that darned spessartine fever that was going around - it used to be I had natural defenses to it, the oranges just weren't pulling me in or infecting my bank account...However, a couple weeks ago a few certain photos came across my email and from then on I couldn't stop looking at them - I would crane my neck to follow a fanta-orange car on the road even :rodent: ;-)
I now know how the fever feels! So I've put a deposit on a Tanzanian fanta orange spess, just over 2cts.

I know, stoopid post without any photos! I promise to post some in the next couple days..at which time I may also have other garnet news ::)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJ,
Sorry to hear about the tsavorite; I understand that to be fair to Swala, you should not share the details with us publicly although there’s a part of me that would love to know the cutting issues. :bigsmile: Ah….at least there’s a spessartite to look forward to.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arjunajane said:
I thought I'd add an update - after getting assessments from 3 different recommended faceters who offer re-cutting services, and giving each of their opinions a lot of thought, I've decided not to pursue a recut and to instead return the cushion to Swala.

That's probably a wise decision because a recut might not only cause a weight loss, but a loss in saturation as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJJ,
I know you think highly of Jeff’s cutting and while his round tsavorite is already sold, perhaps he might have another piece of rough available?
http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/GAR131.htm

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

arjunajane said:
The colour was lovely, but once I crunched the numbers on the projected weight loss, it just didn't make any sense for me to hold onto this gem. :(sad
I'm still in the process of coordinating the return with Eric (who has been very patient and understanding so far), so I'll hold off posting further until its all resolved..

Arjunajane, I'm so sorry that the tsavorite from Swala didn't work out for you. I've been following your posts on this thread with quite a bit of interest, because a couple of months ago I purchased a tsavorite from Swala, and had some similar thoughts about the stone I received. I ended up keeping the tsav., but the quality of the cutting and polish was nowhere near the quality of the Swala Mahenge I just had set. I had expected that to some degree, because Eric was very straightforward about how he rated the cut on the tsavorite, however, like you, I've become spoiled by precision cuts. In the end, the color of the tsav was so amazing, and the price for size was so good that I ended up keeping it. I hope you do find a tsavorite that makes your heart sing, and am looking forward to seeing photos of your mystery purchase!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

tourmaline_lover said:
arjunajane said:

That's probably a wise decision because a recut might not only cause a weight loss, but a loss in saturation as well.

Can't wait to see your spessartite AJ, and I hope you find a gorgeous looking tsavorite that fits your criteria soon. =)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Chrono said:
AJ,
Sorry to hear about the tsavorite; I understand that to be fair to Swala, you should not share the details with us publicly although there’s a part of me that would love to know the cutting issues. :bigsmile: Ah….at least there’s a spessartite to look forward to.

Thanks C - ha ha, I can understand your curiosity. I will say most the cutters I spoke to said it could just be re-polished to fix the external stuff, with very minimal loss and that's what they would recommend usually over a full recut (or a pavilion recut). However I had to admit to myself that I still wouldn't be happy with the gem going down that route. Perhaps other folks would have made a different decision for sure.
Yup, I need to sort out the tsav return first, but there is a spess eventually on the way ::)

Chrono said:
AJJ,
I know you think highly of Jeff’s cutting and while his round tsavorite is already sold, perhaps he might have another piece of rough available?
http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/GAR131.htm
lol, you know me too well! Jeff and I did actually chat a number of weeks ago - he had some rough that would cut the right size, but we decided the tone would likely be a little dark for what I really wanted. Cheers for the thought though C.

tourmaline_lover said:
arjunajane said:

Hey TL - the folks I spoke to predicted this particular gem shouldn't suffer from a loss of saturation - but of course, there are absolutely no guarantees with these things. So yep, it is worth pointing out for others reading that a re-cut could leave your gem colour the same, improve or worsen it, and I don't think any cutters offer any guarantee in that regard..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Aoife said:
Arjunajane, I'm so sorry that the tsavorite from Swala didn't work out for you. I've been following your posts on this thread with quite a bit of interest, because a couple of months ago I purchased a tsavorite from Swala, and had some similar thoughts about the stone I received. I ended up keeping the tsav., but the quality of the cutting and polish was nowhere near the quality of the Swala Mahenge I just had set. I had expected that to some degree, because Eric was very straightforward about how he rated the cut on the tsavorite, however, like you, I've become spoiled by precision cuts. In the end, the color of the tsav was so amazing, and the price for size was so good that I ended up keeping it. I hope you do find a tsavorite that makes your heart sing, and am looking forward to seeing photos of your mystery purchase!

Thanks Aoife, for your kind words hon, I appreciate it ::)
I'm glad to hear you are happy with the cutting and polish of your Mahenge, its made a really pretty ring - I wonder whether they have different folks cutting different material.. :?:
Unfortunately, Eric and I had had a few discussions about how important cut and performance was to me, and I was assured this gem would fit..I guess it just comes down to different standards in the end, which I can't blame on Swala. At least we now know more about each other after this transaction, as I enjoyed working with Eric and wouldn't mind one of their Mahenges myself ;))

Lovinggems said:
arjunajane said:

Can't wait to see your spessartite AJ, and I hope you find a gorgeous looking tsavorite that fits your criteria soon. =)

Thanks LG!
I'm sure a tsav that fits the bill is not too far off ;-)

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

Such a shame that the Swala tsavorite wasn't the one for you because the colour did look amazing but I think it's a credit to Swala that they are open to discussion. I have my sights set on a Mahenge from them too.....one day.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I currently have 8 projects in the works!
I have some pictures so bare with me

1- JKT Ameythst Set (earrings and pendant)
2- 1.85 lavendar spinel from FineWaterGems set into a JKT Katie Ring
3- 4.2 ct pink sapphire (heated) set into JKT pink gold, diamond, and silver ring
4- Bezel set my Peter T asshcer 1.5 ct sunstone is pink gold (local jeweler)
5- rose gold and diamond Marrakech Ring by Suzanne Somersall (see actual photo of ring below)
6- Pink Tourmline Briolitte Earrings with white gold clover (see photo below)
7- Matching rose gold Marrakech necklace by Suzanne Somersall
8- DBTY bracelet (haven't decided if I will use my .34ct OEC and have it be it's self or use 5 .10ct= .5ctw)

ssSarahrose.jpg

1698302_orig.jpg

Attachments

• untitled11.bmp
    746.9 KB · Views: 342

SB621

Ideal_Rock

oops forgot to attach my JKT inspiratino picture for Project #3.

This will be for my 4.2ct pink sapphire (heated)

JKTinspiration.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Oh my project #6 is done. The jeweler just emailed me. The tourmalines are from Dana. Don't have the ct weight. In RL they are medium pink. I wish my bri's were longer similar to the inspriation shot- but I really loved the color of these. I think I might email the jeweler back and have her disattach the brio, and have it be more of a charm so I can change them in and out. :???:

SarahTourmalineER.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great projects, Sarahbear! I agree that the earrings would probably look better with longer briolettes, but they still look great as is.

I wasn't clear on what your plans are for the 18k rose gold setting... it's gorgeous!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Very pretty, I especially like those earrings. I like the charm idea but I'm not sure how you'd make it removable on those particular earrings.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

baby nurse said:
Great projects, Sarahbear! I agree that the earrings would probably look better with longer briolettes, but they still look great as is.

I wasn't clear on what your plans are for the 18k rose gold setting... it's gorgeous!
The rose gold ring is my actual glamour shot of my ring :) It doesn' thave any CS's but since it was one of my projects I threw it in the mix. I should recieve that ring next week!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Yup the jeweler agreed with you. Oh well- i still like them. I guess I will have to look for longer brio's and make another pair but this time with diamonds! :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results