shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thats what I''m hoping, and what my assumption has been. I also think I think I like more delicate stuff on the screen than I do IRL, but my sister is something of a wild card, so I''m hoping I guessed right. Also, just really excited to see it! I told a co-worker the other day that this piece I was having made is almost done, did she want to see a pic? And she says to me, "wow, you''re always having something done!". Nope, I''m always having the same piece :)

That sounds like a good plan... spacing it out. I think it could also look great with your skin tone as a pendant, depending upon how strongly the minty shows through too, you know? Have to wait and see!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
This is the 5ct reddish orange spess that I chose over the AIGS cert. blue tourmaline. (Vendor pic; will try to post RL photos soon)

I''ll have its pavillion recut by Jeremy Newman later this March. From step cut to brilliant cut to close out the window and better optical performance.

spess_WP.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 11:29:42 PM
Author: blithesome71
This is the 5ct reddish orange spess that I chose over the AIGS cert. blue tourmaline. (Vendor pic; will try to post RL photos soon)

I''ll have its pavillion recut by Jeremy Newman later this March. From step cut to brilliant cut to close out the window and better optical performance.
Who''s Jeremy Newman?

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
You haven''t heard of him for sure. Jeremy Newman of Gem Art Services. He''s a really nice guy and I like most of his cuts.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Blithsome. Looking forward to seeing the recut of your spessartite.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone blithesome. That border looks familiar.
2.gif

-A

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 9:51:49 PM
Author: Arcadian
Nice brandy! This setting works well for stones that are cut deep.

I just got a little something on Gene''s page....for whatever reason it was just sitting there all by its lonesome saying ''I need a good home''

Forgot the specs:

3.05 ct
8.45mm not sure how deep it is, I''m sure thats going to come with the stone though.

I also have 1 very blue stone and 1 very blue violet stone, and one orange stone coming my way.

-A
Thanks Arcadian! It''s a setting I''ve been contemplating for a while and finally just went for it. It was my first time making an offer to LOGR and it was a bit frustrating at first but it all worked out.
1.gif

I''ve checked out that stone a few times on Gene''s site and think it''s a beautiful color. I can''t wait to see your pics of it!
36.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene apparently has more to come. I don''t know about in that particular coloration but maybe close. He also told me that the Afgan material is harder to come by these days which is really isn''t suprising considering whats going on over there.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blithe,
That spess is going to look awesome after the recut. I look forward to seeing pictures after it’s beauty touch up.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 8:05:20 AM
Author: Arcadian
Nice stone blithesome. That border looks familiar.
2.gif

-A
hehe... ssshhhh, let''s keep it bet. us A
3.gif

TL, Chrono: Thank u guys, I''m excited but kinda nervous. It''s got a wisp veil inclusion near its crown (not really surface reaching). I want a full recut from oval to round but I''m afraid that this inclusion might be a problem (hopefully it won''t) so I''ll just settle for the pavillion recut also to maintain the face up size... Also, hopefully, it lightens up more (tone-wise) beacuse it has a med.dark saturation IRL (& I want a medium one)

Will keep u guys updated.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Just picked this up from gemline:

Origin: Australia
Weight: 1.41 carats
Size: 8 x 5 mm deep
Cut: Trillion with a buff top and faceted pavilion

I''ve gone back to look at it too many times not to go ahead and buy it.

34278opal.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
and this one too, it was an impulse thing...I just had to have it the moment I saw it, especially since LD won''t share her aqua cab
3.gif

I know nothing about chalcedony so this one should be quite interesting.

Origin: Turkey
Weight: 2.06 carats
Size: 8 x 6.3 mm deep
Clarity IF to VVS Top clean and bright gemstone.
Cut: Precision cut fancy round brilliant with and apex crown. Top USA cutting!
Color: Translucent blue!

34407chalcedony.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really lovely brandy! Considering how much I''ve spent since the beginning of the year. I''m trying to slow it down a bit so I don''t blow through the rest of my gem budget so quick.

Though admittedly, I''ve got a sapphire that I''m oogling right now
2.gif

-A

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo all the new pretties you guys are getting!

Nothing much new here..still adoring my ering every 5 minutes..and I think I''ve completely changed my mind on the 3 stone I want to do!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brandy, those are so cool! I''ve never seen faceted chalcedony!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wahoo! I''m FINALLY setting my blue tourmaline. (In the end, I went with the yellow gold, hopefully I''ll love it!)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 6:34:15 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Wahoo! I''m FINALLY setting my blue tourmaline. (In the end, I went with the yellow gold, hopefully I''ll love it!)

Can''t wait to see it! Going to look spectacular!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I am awaiting this yellow grossular garnet from Peter Torraca:

Peter Torraca grossular garnet 01.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 6:32:52 PM
Author: brandy_z28

THIS is so interesting. Chalcedony used to be a dime a dozen, but it is becoming more and more rare. I really love this stone. Such an interesting faceting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 6:38:40 PM
and this one too, it was an impulse thing...I just had to have it the moment I saw it, especially since LD won''t share her aqua cab
3.gif

I know nothing about chalcedony so this one should be quite interesting.

Origin: Turkey
Weight: 2.06 carats
Size: 8 x 6.3 mm deep
Clarity IF to VVS Top clean and bright gemstone.
Cut: Precision cut fancy round brilliant with and apex crown. Top USA cutting!
Color: Translucent blue!
Very cool Brandy. Looking forward to your photos.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I finally took sunlight pictures of the namya spinel I purchased from master cut gems....

This is one hell of an example of what fluorescense can do to a stone...

257x375.aspx

Top picture taken with a little bit of sun peeking in. I had to set up the shot facing the window, and holding the stone at close to 45 degrees so I could semi shade it for the shot. btw, the lid is off so I would have freaked had I dropped it. Prior to that I turned my back to the window and put it in full sun...whoooweee...its a pretty orangy pink/red and impossible to get good shots of. The bottom pic is of how it is very indirect sunlight (went to the back of the room for that pic) And y''all have seen what it can do on a cloudy day...

I particularly like this stone because its so unusual. Its not just pink.

Its amazing material. If Dana had bigger stuff than this stone I would get it, no question.

-A

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I picked up my Tsavorite garnet pendant today. The garnet cab is from Dana at Mastercut Gems and is pictured in this thread at the bottom of page 38 Link in pink and green gold.

I love, love, love it. I will give this piece its own thread as soon as I can, but wanted to share with you right away.

TsavPendant9282.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thats a lovely pendant!!
36.gif

-A

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
FlyGirl, very neat pendant! You have a knack for finding very cool designers and it seems that you have lots of unique pieces.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Flygirl - Your pendant looks terrific! I''m having a lighter colored tsav bezeled in rose gold and have been agonizing over whether it is going to look good. Your pendant has stopped my worrying
1.gif

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Oops!
I picked up a little princess cut Montana Sapphire from Gemline, and now I can't seem to find a setting I like..does anyone know where to get a simple solitaire with v-prongs but instead of being oriented as a square, it's turned on it's side, like a diamond?

blue sapph.jpg

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 6:32:52 PM

Oh my gosh! I am so glad a PS''er got this!! I absolutely love this stone and can''t wait to see what you do with it!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 11:04:37 PM
Author: artemiss
Oops!
I picked up a little princess cut Montana Sapphire from Gemline, and now I can''t seem to find a setting I like..does anyone know where to get a simple solitaire with v-prongs but instead of being oriented as a square, it''s turned on it''s side, like a diamond?
Your jeweler can assemble a simple ring or pendant for you. Take a look at the Stuller catalog for ideas. Link I''ve linked to a simple pendant. A simple ring with a peg head can be oriented however you wish.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
I''m also working on a little spess ensemble in silver and white gold. (not together..but I do better with silver earrings and necklaces vs. most white gold, I am assuming it''s the nickel that makes me itchy?)
I have a 5mm round and 8x6 oval from ebay I am putting in a pendant and ring respectively, and three loliondo spesses from Dana at Mastercut Gems that are going into another ring and a pair of little drop earrings.
I usually stick to sapphs..nice and durable, and come in most colours, but man, I love, love, love the way spessartite just seems to smolder and glow in the right light

30.gif

artemiss

Rough_Rock
This is my minty green montana sapph from Dana set in a Rose gold micro-pave from jewelryhoo on ebay.

artemissmintmt.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results