shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Red, what a beautiful sketch! I love swirlies in the gallery!

MTG what did you end up deciding??

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, everyone has bought some really pretty stones recently!

Date: 3/27/2010 10:32:54 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 2/17/2010 7:11:55 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I have these 4.58 tcw 9 x 7 matching oval rubellite cabs on their way to me from Barry at AC Stones. Barry found them at the recent Tucson gem show and says they caught his eye and have an outstanding pinkish red color. They certainly caught my eye when they showed up on his web site. I figure if Barry thinks they are outstanding, they will be awesome. I plan to make them into earrings.
1.gif
I picked up my rubellite earrings from the jeweler yesterday. They are lovely The vendor photo of the cabs is near the bottom of page 43 of this thread. Here is an ear shot. The cabs are bezel set in 18k yellow gold with open backs. I love the size and color. Barry does have a great eye for beautiful stones.
Fly Girl, those are gorgeous!! They look great on you :)
Megs, I love the sketch! JKT is fabulous, I love her work!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2010 6:45:40 PM
Author: packrat

MTG what did you end up deciding??

Freefly two-tone, still stickin with the bezel...for now...

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
D&T, Packrat, and Burberrygirl- Thanks! Julia''s been more than a dream to work with. We''ve sent countless messages back and forth as I wavered on the design. She''s even going to show it to me before she closes the bezel in order to let me back out if I want. She is amazing! She''s had the go ahead for about two weeks, but it could be four or five more before it''s done!
39.gif
Luckily I have two other projects that should be finished soon to tide me over until then!
2.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I''m having Mich E set his tourmaline in a simple semibezel ring for me, and the finish date keeps getting pushed back and delayed. I was originally quoted a completion date of around March 10th, and then a week later, and then a few days later, and then a few days later...and as of today, still no pics of complete ring or progress updates. I know he''s busy with prior orders and projects, but I''m getting antsy!

Maybe it''s just me, but I''d rather be quoted 4-6 weeks until completion at the outset and be pleasantly surprised by an early finish, than be quoted 1 week and keep having to bug them to find out that the ring is continuously being delayed. Bah.

Sorry, just needed to vent a little.
3.gif
Will post many photos when/if I get my ring!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I chose to get this Cab from Barry - I've been wanting a nice cab for some time - Barry says this one is more blue than the photo shows. Most likely I will put it into a pendant -
description:

Tourmaline cushion Cabochon 5.23 cts., 11.5x9.5mm (x4.8)cabochon. The Brazilian cab has an attractive deep bluish green color and is just short of being eyeclean.

t-6481g_1846_general.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty cab AJ!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 2:14:10 AM
Author: arjunajane
I chose to get this Cab from Barry - I''ve been wanting a nice cab for some time - Barry says this one is more blue than the photo shows. Most likely I will put it into a pendant -
description:

Tourmaline cushion Cabochon 5.23 cts., 11.5x9.5mm (x4.8)cabochon. The Brazilian cab has an attractive deep bluish green color and is just short of being eyeclean.
I was considering that cab, it''s gorgeous and I love the color but I already have 2 green cabs. TG you bought it, now I don''t have to be tempted anymore! I can''t wait to see what you do with it :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, ring is finally done! These are pics from Michael, but I should have the ring Monday. The tourmaline is much bluer in daylight, and goes more blue green indoors (as the pictures show below).

500x375.aspx

mtgtourmrings.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
thanks indy and burberry on the cab! I''m thinking of either a really modern or of a floral inspired design-very opposites!

MTG that ring turnned out stunning. I really love the curves of it leading to the bezel. Enjoy!
36.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
MTG that ring is stunning. I can''t wait to see your pics of it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 2:14:10 AM
Author: arjunajane
I chose to get this Cab from Barry - I''ve been wanting a nice cab for some time - Barry says this one is more blue than the photo shows. Most likely I will put it into a pendant -
description:

Arjunajane- I went to buy that on barry''s site and it was allready sold! I''m glad it went to another PSer- it would have been my first cab too. It is funny how PS turns you on to new things. I can''t wait to see what you do with it!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2010 9:53:31 AM
Author: brandy_z28
one more pic
Do not recut it, please! It is small and nicely cut as it is, and unless inclusions interfere with its brilliance, I won''t do it.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Eeek, MTG, can''t wait to see it! Good job Michael! I think the gold works beautifully. Can''t wait!

artemiss

Rough_Rock
This is my Ebay special:
a pad-coloured sapphire I got from an estate sale on Ebay..best $15 I spent to date! The pic was lousy, and it was just listed as a pink sapphire, but it mentioned "orange flashes" in the description. I plopped it into a LOGR-type mount, and here it is!
It''s just shy at of 2 carats, and man does it glow..it''s actually kinda hard to get a pic of it.

IMG_1873.JPG

artemiss

Rough_Rock
This is shaded in my hand showing the rich orange flashes

IMG_1874.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s beautiful artemiss, and I''m not usually a trillion fan! Do you have any handshots?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
MTG-the ring is gorgeous-I bet you''re really excited!!

AJ-I think something floral would look pretty w/the color of the cab!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! I'm excited to see it too! At first I was worried that it would look too "old" with the yellow gold, but I think the neon color brightens and modernizes it.

My only concern is whether the bezel covers too much of the stone... what do you think? Is it just the angle of the photograph?
original.aspx

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been a little lax at informing you all of my recent stone purchases, but this one has me excited. Just nabbed this one from TGT''s ebay listings...3mm green zoisite! I''ve been dying to get something like this, but I''ve never been able to afford it because I''ve usually seen larger sizes. Can''t wait to see the color in person!

green zoisite.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jstar-wow that is such a pretty green!

MTG-I kinda think it''s just the angle of the photograph. Someone else probably would have more knowledge about it than I tho. I know in a couple of the pics from Sally of my ering, I had a little bit of a rolly sensation in my stomach when I thought the bezel was funky, but turned out to just be a trick of the photo. And even when I look at the picture, knowing how the ring looks IRL, it *still* looks funny to me.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 3:19:23 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Thanks guys! I''m excited to see it too! At first I was worried that it would look too ''old'' with the yellow gold, but I think the neon color brightens and modernizes it.

My only concern is whether the bezel covers too much of the stone... what do you think? Is it just the angle of the photograph?
original.aspx
MTG - I love that setting. I think the colored stone just pops in it. Of course, I have my Burmese roval ruby set just that way. A half bezel in yellow gold. It is a great compromise between protecting the stone and letting in the light. Remember, the actual ring will be much smaller than the photo.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
thankyou sarahbear- sorry i beat you to it
7.gif
barry has quite a few cabs on the site most of the time. I do hope you find another hon.
Cheers also packrat for your thoughts
5.gif
if i go floral I think I may make it part of the suite I am having julia make based around my bracelet which has an iris motif.

you know i just realized i have a real nice and bright afghan blue green supernova tourm that also needs setting. I think that and the cab would be real nice in a pendant together..

I am jones-ing to make something bold in YG-kinda like a statement piece. I dont own anything like that.
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 7:14:12 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Yay, ring is finally done! These are pics from Michael, but I should have the ring Monday. The tourmaline is much bluer in daylight, and goes more blue green indoors (as the pictures show below).

500x375.aspx

OOH this is gorgeous! MTG, who did your setting?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My Barry supernova green tourm is now set, and I have a new bezel diamond band. But it''s raining outside! No pics
7.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 6:29:46 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
My Barry supernova green tourm is now set, and I have a new bezel diamond band. But it''s raining outside! No pics
7.gif
Ah, FINALLY!! I can''t wait to see both of your rings, but really looking forward to seeing what you did with the supernova! Hope it''s sunny tomorrow!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
MTG -- love the semi bezel. the yg really makes that color pop!!

i finally sent my 6mm dan stair blue/purple cc spinel to sally for a lush lotus setting in wg...and the waiting begins.

so glad i held off on the aqua cab -- the baby in question still has not arrived! now that cab is all mine (he he he...)

meanwhile i picked up these two tourmalines from bob kast (vendor pics). i know the green isn''t what many would pick, but i''m looking for this sort of olivey color (rather than a chrome tourm or tsav look). not usually into pink but this one just glowed... we''ll see how they are in person. i think i''m mostly saving up for a huge logr binge where i''ll set a whole bunch of things at once.

twobktourms.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to go pick up my ring but they misplaced it...again. This is the third consecutive time they have misplaced my pqckage when I come to pick it up! Bah.

At least they always seem to find them eventually ..

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
that stinks, MTG!! i would be livid. i''ve unfortunately had so many experiences like this that i ended up paying for a mailbox at a package store. otherwise i am forever waiting in lines or waiting for them to unearth my ''misplaced'' package (which i suspect just isn''t in a convenient location and they don''t feel like going to retrieve it) at the post office or ups or fedex. plus ups and fedex are a hike!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results