carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:19:23 AM
Author: cellentani
I''ve been looking at sphenes for a while, and I think I finally found the one!! I''m always excited to get a new stone, but for some reason, I''m even more so with this one. I know it''s not everyone''s taste, but I figured some of you guys would understand!
Wow! The fire of that stone is awesome! Must be even better in person!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been looking at sphenes for a while, and I think I finally found the one!! I''m always excited to get a new stone, but for some reason, I''m even more so with this one. I know it''s not everyone''s taste, but I figured some of you guys would understand!
Amazing! Do you plan to set it? I know sphenes are soft and this one has unusual cut. If you set it, can you post it in a setting, please?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I was just noodling over whether this should be set or not, lol. I''ve been reading all the sphene threads, and there seems to be diverse opinions on its suitablility as a settable stone. I guess I should wait until I have it in hand. I''ll definitely post pics once it arrives, and keep everyone updated. Poor Gene''s probably shoveling out from the snowstorm, so I''m not expecting it until next week at the earliest.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Oh C, I was admiring that just now. I love the cut, and it will be just amazing, I''m sure of it! Lucky you, nice buy. Please post your lovely pics of it once you get it.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a very nice stone!
36.gif
Congrats cellentani!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered this stone today. Been contemplating it for a while. It might be a little too brown but I wanted to see it in person.

oR 3/4 (light orangy red)
GIA Code: oR 3/4
Hue: orangy red
Tone: Light
Saturation: moderately strong

David's comments on the stone:

The color saturation is quite strong for a spinel. The stone is very slightly sleepy but this is common for material from this deposit and some customers even ask for the sleepy stones because the effect is unusual and not unattractive. For the size and color, the price is excellent. I don't want to comment about the quality of the color because everybody likes something different.

ETA: 1.95 cts, roughly 10mm x 7mm

multicolour spinel.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I also finally caved in on some demantoids that I might set with my slightly sleepy mahenge spinel.
31.gif

3.5 mm each around 0.8 ct total weight, I believe.

DEMANTOIDS MULTICOLOUR 4.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
lovely stones, brandy, and that spinel is a really nice size! May I ask who the vendor is? I just don''t recognize it from the info.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty cellentani!
30.gif

I have sphene rings, as does Loving Diamonds that we wear because well...they''re awesome! I''ve never bumped a ring to date so have to admit, I really don''t worry about it.

The problem comes in when they have to be set. Should only be set by someone who''s an expert, and even then, you would want to talk to them a bit about how you want it set. Setting them to a pendant is typically what people do with softer stones though.

My sphene rings are cleaned with a bit of soap and water under tepid water. Though I have a extra soft cleaning brush, I never use it on the stone, just the setting itself. I put a dab of soap on a qtip and clean the stone that way.

they can be really addictive to own. (I ''ve got tons that are not set, shame on me
emembarrassed.gif
)

-A

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 5:06:40 PM
lovely stones, brandy, and that spinel is a really nice size! May I ask who the vendor is? I just don''t recognize it from the info.
Thanks cellentani, you''ve got some gorgeous new stones yourself! The demantoids and spinel are all from multicolour.
1.gif

The spinel will be my largest stone yet. I''ve been holding off on larger stones as I''ve heard horrid things about shrinkage syndrome. The spinel was calling my name and I hope it doesn''t disappoint. I''m expecting a brown or maybe even grey mask. I''ll make sure to post pics when I get it. I chose FedEx so I should get them mid next week I''d assume.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
What is shrinkage syndrome?

Ps. Saturation is listed as moderately strong - I don't think you should worry about a grey or brown mask too much.
1.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 5:59:13 PM
Author: Kim Bruun
What is shrinkage syndrome?

Ps. Saturation is listed as moderately strong - I don''t think you should worry about a grey or brown mask too much.
1.gif
I figure if I expect the worst then I''ll be happy with it, being disappointed in a stone that you''ve been really thinking about for a while is a heart breaker. I''m hoping for the best but not wanting to set myself up for disappointment.
2.gif

Shrinkage syndrome...my definition of it is: that''s when all of the stones you used to love and adore all seem so small and almost inadequate because you''ve purchased larger ones and now nothing but a certain ct wait or mm size will do.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I got a spess. Its kind of included but I love the color and the ring it was in. In fact, I only really notice the inclusions when its 4 inches from my face. So I''m just not going wear it under my nose. :) But I LOVE the overall piece so much, its so modern and fun. Its by Randy Polk.

IMG_1223_1y2kitty.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I bought two stones from Swala a few days ago!
9.gif
I''m sooo excited to see them, I can''t wait!

Stats:

Tanzanite:
Weight: 5.31 ct
Dimension: 10.3 x 5.2 x 10.3 mm
Tsavorite:
Weight: 1.36 ct
Dimension: 6.4 x 6.3 x 3.1 mm

NewSwalaGems.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice cabs Burberry girl! (wondered where those went!!)

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a blue spinel. I think (hopefully) when it gets here that its the color blue I want.

-A

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 4:51:17 AM
Author: Burberrygirl

9.gif

Stats:

Tanzanite:

Tsavorite:
Very nice cabs! I''m yearning for a cab piece of jewelry!
36.gif
Please keep us posted on what you do with them!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Arcadian! I emailed Eric asking if he had more cabs than what was listed on Swala and he suggested those two. I can''t wait to get them, I should have them in the next day or two!
36.gif

Thanks Brandy! They''re for a stack ring project. JKT is trying to source a third cab for me right now. I don''t think I''ll have them set until this Fall, they''re technically a birthday present from my family and my birthday is in October. I thought it''d take me a lot longer to source the stones so I started looking in January.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 9:09:51 PM
Author: y2kitty
I got a spess. Its kind of included but I love the color and the ring it was in. In fact, I only really notice the inclusions when its 4 inches from my face. So I''m just not going wear it under my nose. :) But I LOVE the overall piece so much, its so modern and fun. Its by Randy Polk.
That is beautiful! Do you have more shots of this?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 4:51:17 AM
Author: Burberrygirl

9.gif

Stats:

Tanzanite:

Tsavorite:
Beautiful! Love Cabs!! the look like yummy gumdrops
18.gif
30.gif

Cellentani!!! those sphenes look amazing!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 10:49:54 AM
Author: D&T
Date: 2/11/2010 9:09:51 PM

Author: y2kitty

That is beautiful! Do you have more shots of this?
Not yet! I''ll try to take some soon.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have these 4.58 tcw 9 x 7 matching oval rubellite cabs on their way to me from Barry at AC Stones. Barry found them at the recent Tucson gem show and says they caught his eye and have an outstanding pinkish red color. They certainly caught my eye when they showed up on his web site. I figure if Barry thinks they are outstanding, they will be awesome. I plan to make them into earrings.
1.gif

t6414g1073.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 7:11:55 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I have these 4.58 tcw 9 x 7 matching oval rubellite cabs on their way to me from Barry at AC Stones. Barry found them at the recent Tucson gem show and says they caught his eye and have an outstanding pinkish red color. They certainly caught my eye when they showed up on his web site. I figure if Barry thinks they are outstanding, they will be awesome. I plan to make them into earrings.
1.gif
Gorgeous FG!! I saw those a few days ago and thought how pretty they were but you had already bought them by then ;-) I''m glad they went to you, I can''t wait to see what you do with them!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey cab lovers,

Just thought I would mention that I was perusing the Paraiba site today and they have a lot of new cabs. I haven''t seen them before at any rate.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up this setting in rose gold to finally set my very first gemstone purchase, my BB pink tourmaline.
36.gif

LOGR043c.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice brandy! This setting works well for stones that are cut deep.

I just got a little something on Gene's page....for whatever reason it was just sitting there all by its lonesome saying "I need a good home"

Forgot the specs:

3.05 ct
8.45mm not sure how deep it is, I'm sure thats going to come with the stone though.

I also have 1 very blue stone and 1 very blue violet stone, and one orange stone coming my way.

-A

arcvendorshotafghantourmaline.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, Arcadian, I loved that minty! Can''t wait to see IRL pics!

And ladies and gents, my tourm pendant for my sister from JKT is finally done!! YAY!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! I can''t wait to see pics of it Novel!

Genes stone is pretty darn big a smidge over 3cts. I got kinda happy when I first saw it.
9.gif
Thats a sign that always bodes well with me.

-A

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I feel that. I thought that was an awesome colored stone. And its huge! I actually really considered it, but I''m not at that cash stage right now. Sigh. Enjoy! You have tentative plans for it?

And thanks! I''m a little nervous because it looked a little bulky, but she swears its misleading. So, I''ll see when I have it! She was a real doll and added some nice touched, which I''ll show once I have it in hand
9.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt that way about the ring she did until I saw it in person. She does some amazingly delicate work that sometimes pictures just don''t do justice to.

I''m predominately buying most of my stones a bit early in the year as opposed to last year. Its later in the year when I''ll be trying to set the majority of them. I''m not really sure what I''m going to do with this one just yet. I''ll have to wait until I receive it to get a better sense. (but hey, I do have a 6 ct ring so, anything''s possible....
2.gif
).

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results