shape
carat
color
clarity

A Rubellite for Gailey

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 11:36:44 PM
Author: mochi
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I love it, Gailey!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It''s so pretty, the color, the shape, the cut!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
If your a good girl, I''ll share once in a while!

XX

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 8:07:25 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Gailey you say such sweet things. Thank you.

Yes some Rubellite (lower quality - and pink tourmaline being sold as Rubellite(!)) will go distinctly brown in incandescent lighting. I can''t tell you how many Rubellites I''ve returned because of it. I will only keep one if it keeps its colour - and it''s clear from your photos that you have a superb one!

In terms of the setting have you considered white sapphires or white zircons? You could go for trilliants or pears or even round brilliant cuts??????
How do white sapphires compare to diamonds? Can you tell the difference? I know zircons sparkle amazingly.

What makes a pink tourmaline a rubellite? Is it just depth of colour?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2009 9:49:46 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 12/12/2009 8:07:25 AM

Gailey you say such sweet things. Thank you.

Yes some Rubellite (lower quality - and pink tourmaline being sold as Rubellite(!)) will go distinctly brown in incandescent lighting. I can''t tell you how many Rubellites I''ve returned because of it. I will only keep one if it keeps its colour - and it''s clear from your photos that you have a superb one!

In terms of the setting have you considered white sapphires or white zircons? You could go for trilliants or pears or even round brilliant cuts??????
How do white sapphires compare to diamonds? Can you tell the difference? I know zircons sparkle amazingly.

What makes a pink tourmaline a rubellite? Is it just depth of colour?
Rubellites range from stoplight red to shocking pink but what distinguishes them from pink tourmalines is that a Rubellite will hold it''s colour in any lighting condition. Pink tourmalines can shift slightly in tone and more often than not can look brown in incandescent light.

How do white sapphires compare to diamonds? Not favourably. They have less fire and you can tell when you look at them (if you stare at gemstones like many of us do(!)) that they''re not diamonds. They''re a good substitute however if you don''t have the money for nice size sidestones and want something to make do until you can replace them. I do love zircons but you need to make sure that if you buy one they''re well cut. Zircons can lack flash and sparkle if not cut well. They can also look flat and a bit cloudy (not quite the right description - perhaps opaque is better). Anyway, if you get well cut white sapphires or zircons probably only you (and us) would know! Most people would assume they''re diamonds. Mind you, most will assume your Rubellite is a Ruby!!!

BTW the one you''ve bought knocks socks off the one from Mineral Miners that is no way near as nice!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, I love the color combination of pink and orange. I can''t wait to see the ring when you get it done and I look forward to seeing pictures of the process. Your rubellite is wonderful. Thanks for sharing the fun with us
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
When considering diamond substitutes, type of cut makes a whole lot of difference. Zircon or white sapphire fashioned in a brilliant cut needs to be large enough, so that it obviously scintillates and is a lively stone, but if you''d like to mimic diamond pave with something other than diamonds... Let''s just say I never saw a convincing "version".

But step cuts, on the other hand, look different, they''re not as lively as brilliant cuts, so it''s easier to make a colorless stone look like a diamond if it''s a step cut. Zircons also have quite a bit of fire (dispersion of light) so they look even more similar to diamonds, but again it''s better if they''re larger stones. Those who look at a lot of stones will spot those too due to diamonds having very recognizable luster (the way they reflect light from the crown facet - when light beam doesen''t enter the stone, but bounces off), but that''s only obvious with a light sources shining right at the stone.

So if you''re considering large step cuts, I''d say zircons can look very similar to diamonds, sapphires probably not so much, due to the lack of fire. But if well cut, probably even they can be good candidates.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

A more beautiful stone, I cannot imagine. IRL, Galiley''s stone displays beautiful cutting and superb color. I had a hard time not keeping it for myself! And I tried!!!
3.gif

cheers--Sharon

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! I think your photos really show off the color of your new stone. Gorgeous. Hope you''ve recharged your camera batteries!
9.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Somehow I missed this but that is a GORGEOUS stone!!!! And you know I have a spessartite ring with hot pink sapphires bead set in the shank. I think pink and orange together is very striking, Be brave lol.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 7:10:27 PM

Date: 12/10/2009 6:16:22 PM
Author: platinumrock
Beautiful stone, Gailey!!! I love the purplish pink color. How are you going to set this beauty? Rose gold or yellow gold?
Thanks for stopping by PR, I appreciate it.

Truth be told I have no idea yet. I keep seeing orange sides with it, but I will have to think on it for a while. A friend of mine is looking at some design options. Before seeing the stones, I was thinking of a classic Leon halo, but it''s a skinny stone, there''s definitely room for side stones.

I can''t honestly say that it will go to the top of my setting list because I still have my beautiful peachy pink tourmaline that Peter cut for me as well as a small tsavorite, which is going to be the easiest of the 3 to set.

Julia K Taylor has two other stones of mine that are in the queue as well.

But who knows, if the right accent stones come up. I am open to all ideas.

Stephen Avery cuts beautiful pairs and suites. I doubt I will get those, I''d probably have to part with a kidney or sleep with Tiger Woods (neither appeal very much). Stephen doesn''t have a website of his own, but his stones can be found on Farlang for anyone who is interested. Beware though, it''s not a terribly user friendly site.

So please everyone, feel free to throw out ideas.

PR, thanks once again.
35.gif
Just close your eyes and think of England.
2.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Update on photos: Met with Canuk-gal yesterday and she brought her camera. Unfortunately, the restaurant had lousy lighting, so she is not confident that the shots will be any good. At one point we were in Holt Renfrew (high end department store). I first showed her the stone in there and my goodness was it ever gorgeous and sparkly. Then I noticed that our diamonds were incredibly sparkly too. In fact, I had never seen so much scintillation and fire dance off my ring. It has never performed like that before.

So intrigued was I by the lighting (brand new store, lots of lights), I tried to investigate what sort of lighting they had and discovered it was metal halide. I have no idea what colour temp the bulbs were. I hear lots of stories and warnings about looking at stones and jewellery in such lighting conditions, now I can see why - very deceptive.

So, back to the photos. My camera is charged, so I can try again. Except I am not going outside to attempt it as it is still -24°C (-11/12°F). It''s been grey and snowing all weekend, so the light has been terrible, but I will do what I can in a while (still dark outside right now).

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 9:23:08 AM
Author: Harriet
2.gif
Every time darlin'', every time!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s probably not just about the type of light in the store, but also about the fact that it''s a lot of different lighting sources shining from multiple directions - diamonds love that.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2009 10:15:13 AM

2.gif
Every time darlin', every time!
Poor England! (Tiger Woods = yucksville)!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 1:37:13 PM

Date: 12/14/2009 10:15:13 AM

2.gif
Every time darlin'', every time!
Poor England! (Tiger Woods = yucksville)!
Yeah you''re right LD. I''m more a Liam Connor kind of gal. Ahh, the like of him will not be seen again for some while

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2009 10:13:08 AM
Update on photos: Met with Canuk-gal yesterday and she brought her camera. Unfortunately, the restaurant had lousy lighting, so she is not confident that the shots will be any good. At one point we were in Holt Renfrew (high end department store). I first showed her the stone in there and my goodness was it ever gorgeous and sparkly. Then I noticed that our diamonds were incredibly sparkly too. In fact, I had never seen so much scintillation and fire dance off my ring. It has never performed like that before.

So intrigued was I by the lighting (brand new store, lots of lights), I tried to investigate what sort of lighting they had and discovered it was metal halide. I have no idea what colour temp the bulbs were. I hear lots of stories and warnings about looking at stones and jewellery in such lighting conditions, now I can see why - very deceptive.

True words. I review and grade my stones in normal house light - a mix of halogen and CFL which is what most homes seem to be trending towards. If they look good in my light, they''ll look amazing in the stores.

The Holt shoe department is a wonderful place. Shoes.
30.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to point out this pink and orange, tourmaline and spess, ring on Richard Wise's website. Link

See also Cind11's spess ring with pink sapphire sides from Richard Wise. Link

You have a stunning rubellite, Gaily!

1151_1richardwise.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 10:43:32 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Just wanted to point out this pink and orange, tourmaline and spess, ring on Richard Wise''s website. Link

See also Cind11''s spess ring with pink sapphire sides from Richard Wise. Link

Gorgeous ring, very bold and the colour combo reminds me of Indian jewellery.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where you are, I would not step outside for any photography either. If your indoor lighting is too dim, you’ll need to add extra lighting for photography.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I, for one, can not wait to see how this project develops!
41.gif
so excited right now.

I love the idea of the orange and pink- if you can rock it out why not?
31.gif
and isn''t that what matters most? whether or not we love our jewelry? we''re the ones wearing it!
16.gif
yes, and all other naysayers can just sigh and wish they had even an ounce of the confidence to go around saying "this is the way I am and I like it!"
11.gif
31.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 10:43:32 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Just wanted to point out this pink and orange, tourmaline and spess, ring on Richard Wise''s website. Link

See also Cind11''s spess ring with pink sapphire sides from Richard Wise. Link

Thanks Fly Girl, I have both of those pieces bookmarked.

One thing is for sure, this museum quality stone deserves very special treatment, and whatever ends up happening, that is what it will get.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gailey, its never too late to say congrats to your gorgeous stone! Lisa has done it again, so well cut and stunning hot pink color! About the setting, I have this setting saved and think its a perfect design for a long rectangular shape stone. If you do not want diamond as sidestone, maybe you could get them cut with spess?

greentourmaline.jpg

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Ooh what a beauty. I can''t wait for more pics!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 5:57:49 AM
Author: megeve
Hi Gailey, its never too late to say congrats to your gorgeous stone! Lisa has done it again, so well cut and stunning hot pink color! About the setting, I have this setting saved and think its a perfect design for a long rectangular shape stone. If you do not want diamond as sidestone, maybe you could get them cut with spess?
Megeve! How are you? Thanks for taking a look.

I love those side stones. They look like squat sheilds/bullets with angled sides. Fabulous. As is that ring. Might we be seeing it on your finger one day?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

Date: 12/10/2009 7:10:27 PM

Date: 12/10/2009 6:16:22 PM
Author: platinumrock
Beautiful stone, Gailey!!! I love the purplish pink color. How are you going to set this beauty? Rose gold or yellow gold?
Thanks for stopping by PR, I appreciate it.

Truth be told I have no idea yet. I keep seeing orange sides with it, but I will have to think on it for a while. A friend of mine is looking at some design options. Before seeing the stones, I was thinking of a classic Leon halo, but it''s a skinny stone, there''s definitely room for side stones.

I can''t honestly say that it will go to the top of my setting list because I still have my beautiful peachy pink tourmaline that Peter cut for me as well as a small tsavorite, which is going to be the easiest of the 3 to set.

Julia K Taylor has two other stones of mine that are in the queue as well.

But who knows, if the right accent stones come up. I am open to all ideas.

Stephen Avery cuts beautiful pairs and suites. I doubt I will get those, I''d probably have to part with a kidney or sleep with Tiger Woods (neither appeal very much). Stephen doesn''t have a website of his own, but his stones can be found on Farlang for anyone who is interested. Beware though, it''s not a terribly user friendly site.

So please everyone, feel free to throw out ideas.

PR, thanks once again.
35.gif
2.gif
9.gif
31.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Gailey, whatever you do, it''s going to be a knock-out ring. I can''t wait to see it finished!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results