shape
carat
color
clarity

A Rubellite for Gailey

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone, Gailey!!! I love the purplish pink color. How are you going to set this beauty? Rose gold or yellow gold?

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow Gailey! Thank you so much for posting those pictures. Your stone is gorgeous!!!
30.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 6:16:22 PM
Author: platinumrock
Beautiful stone, Gailey!!! I love the purplish pink color. How are you going to set this beauty? Rose gold or yellow gold?
Thanks for stopping by PR, I appreciate it.

Truth be told I have no idea yet. I keep seeing orange sides with it, but I will have to think on it for a while. A friend of mine is looking at some design options. Before seeing the stones, I was thinking of a classic Leon halo, but it''s a skinny stone, there''s definitely room for side stones.

I can''t honestly say that it will go to the top of my setting list because I still have my beautiful peachy pink tourmaline that Peter cut for me as well as a small tsavorite, which is going to be the easiest of the 3 to set.

Julia K Taylor has two other stones of mine that are in the queue as well.

But who knows, if the right accent stones come up. I am open to all ideas.

Stephen Avery cuts beautiful pairs and suites. I doubt I will get those, I''d probably have to part with a kidney or sleep with Tiger Woods (neither appeal very much). Stephen doesn''t have a website of his own, but his stones can be found on Farlang for anyone who is interested. Beware though, it''s not a terribly user friendly site.

So please everyone, feel free to throw out ideas.

PR, thanks once again.
35.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 6:13:14 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Fantastic color!! I love that stone.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
OMG between your rubellite and Chrono''s Mahenge, I think I''m sitting in puddles of drool. That stone has it all, vivid color, great cutting, nice size. You are soooooo lucky!!
Thank you TL. This is the first time I have been seduced by a stone that has really saturated colour. I generally prefer my stones to be on the light side.

Although during the last Tuscon show I had an epiphany. I happened to be flipping through Mineral Miners site and a rubellite whose colour is similar to mine was there. It''s Item #trbg132 and it is still there.. The colour of it just hit me straight between the eyes and I have never forgotten it.

Then a couple of months ago I saw Stephen Avery''s rubellite at a round table event and just drooled. The love affair had begun.

The millisecond I saw Lisa''s stone I knew that I had to have it. Lightening rarely strikes twice in the same place.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 6:17:43 PM
Author: brandy_z28
Oh wow Gailey! Thank you so much for posting those pictures. Your stone is gorgeous!!!
30.gif
Tell you what, y''all better just head on over to my house so you can take a look!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
you weren''t kidding. that website is kind of hard to navigate- some really gorgeous material on there though
30.gif

still in love with your new gem- can''t wait for even more pictures
31.gif

I like the idea of setting it with traps... maybe something similar to this? ish? http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=459

happy setting hunting!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the pictures, Gailey. Looking forward to seeing more when your battery revives!

And you''re right, the stone wasn''t in the catalog. I guess it reminded me of a stone I''d admired recently, and if it had been in the catalog I would have definitely thought about it!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 7:36:40 PM
Author: kas baby
you weren''t kidding. that website is kind of hard to navigate- some really gorgeous material on there though
30.gif

still in love with your new gem- can''t wait for even more pictures
31.gif

I like the idea of setting it with traps... maybe something similar to this? ish? http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=459

happy setting hunting!
Yup, like that. Thanks Kas. I''ll start a scrap book for ideas.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Regarding your spessartite idea... I''d just like to point out a few things, although I''m pretty certain you know them already. Spessartites can be very lively and scintillating when done in brilliant cuts, so they could take over the design, especially since most rubelites have that more serene, sleepy, velvety quality. Not to mention that vibrant orange is a color that screams for attention, and that might be an issue. So if you''re really into this idea, I''d consider step cuts for spessartites (or even better - cabs, they''d certainly cost you less
9.gif
), just to be safe that rubelite remains to be the star of the show.

P. S. Brown might go well with this too, or reddish brown like hessonite or red zircon, all depending what design you go for.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ma Re. As usual, you''re comments are probably spot on. If I do opt for a colour combo (if I can pluck up the courage), I think I would have to look at several options to make sure I''ve got the match quite right and that might be tricky where I live. Even Lisa is a couple of hours away by plane. Everyone else that I would consider for stones is on the other side of the 49th parallel.

What about orange sapphires? two decreasing step cut traps on either side? They might be easier to locate as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 3:36:33 AM
Author: ma re
Regarding your spessartite idea... I'd just like to point out a few things, although I'm pretty certain you know them already. Spessartites can be very lively and scintillating when done in brilliant cuts, so they could take over the design, especially since most rubelites have that more serene, sleepy, velvety quality. Not to mention that vibrant orange is a color that screams for attention, and that might be an issue. So if you're really into this idea, I'd consider step cuts for spessartites (or even better - cabs, they'd certainly cost you less
9.gif

P. S. Brown might go well with this too, or reddish brown like hessonite or red zircon, all depending what design you go for.
When I wear my rubellite next to my spessartite, they both seem to cancel each other out, and I'm not crazy about the combination, so I agree with Mr. Ma Rae here. It's like both are screaming for attention, and they don't really flatter each other that well. I like the idea of yellow stones around this color, like someone (I think Lovinggems) is doing with their Mahenge (a color much like this rubellite). Maybe yellow sapphire or canary diamond traps.

As far as the differences in sparkle, I don't think that is as much a factor as the red/pink and the bright orange clashing colorwise. I could easily see yellow diamond traps with this ring, even though the sparkle factor is high, the color of them will not take away from the hot pink.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 11:51:00 AM
Author: Gailey

What about orange sapphires? two decreasing step cut traps on either side? They might be easier to locate as well.
Easier to locate? Bright orange trap cut sapphires that are not BE treated?!
23.gif

Good luck!

Well honestly, anything trap cut will be tricky to find so it''s not much of a difference whatever you decide upon. BTW, here are some inspiration photos for you:

#1 - rebelite/spess/diamond ring; check out the rest of their work too, it''s Amazing!
#2 - rubelite in rose gold; I''m usually not a fan of the look, but this rather simplistic design I do find pleasing and the stone is somewhat similar to your''s. Maybe some satin finish on RG wouldn''t hurt with this combo (pics with other metals can be easily found all over the net, that''s why I''m pointing to this one since it''s RG).
#3 - pendant features pink spinel that is (kind of) similar to the color of your rubelite, so it gives you another idea of how a combo with orange might look.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not crazy about that rubellite/spessartite pendant because I think the colors cancel each other out. The spessartites do not allow that rubellite to pop. If those were light stones, yellow, then they wouldn''t take away from the rubellite. JMO, Gailey may differ.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 1:01:44 PM

Date: 12/11/2009 11:51:00 AM

Easier to locate? Bright orange trap cut sapphires that are not BE treated?!
23.gif

Good luck!

Well honestly, anything trap cut will be tricky to find so it''s not much of a difference whatever you decide upon. BTW, here are some inspiration photos for you:

#1 - rebelite/spess/diamond ring; check out the rest of their work too, it''s Amazing!
#2 - rubelite in rose gold; I''m usually not a fan of the look, but this rather simplistic design I do find pleasing and the stone is somewhat similar to your''s. Maybe some satin finish on RG wouldn''t hurt with this combo (pics with other metals can be easily found all over the net, that''s why I''m pointing to this one since it''s RG).
#3 - pendant features pink spinel that is (kind of) similar to the color of your rubelite, so it gives you another idea of how a combo with orange might look.
Yes, you are right, but here''s the thing (I''m likely to be tarred and feathered for this). If I decide in the end that orange traps it must be, what will be most important to me will be:
colour
cut
durability
Not material
I would settle for precision cut synthetic sides rather than wait eons for perfect naturals. I''m old already, don''t have the time!!

I have another picture of either a rubellite or a rhodolite in my scrap book from one year''s spectrum awards that has always appealed to me.

I''m liking the idea of orange sides, and rose gold. The first image you posted is a little fussy for my taste, but what workmanship! I will explore further. I don''t much care for the design of the Pala spinell flower, but what a combo!

agta submission01.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 1:09:12 PM
I''m not crazy about that rubellite/spessartite pendant because I think the colors cancel each other out. The spessartites do not allow that rubellite to pop. If those were light stones, yellow, then they wouldn''t take away from the rubellite. JMO, Gailey may differ.
For as long as I can remember I have been a fan of hot pink and orange. When I was 14 I decorated my bedroom in purple and orange, much to my parent''s dismay.

What works in my head may well not work in reality. So maybe what I should also consider is a eternity band in orange to wear with it and stick with diamonds?

Once I''ve finished cooking Mr Gailey bacon and eggs, I''ll get the camera out and play around with the colour combos I can build from my collection.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 12:45:02 PM

Date: 12/11/2009 3:36:33 AM
Regarding your spessartite idea... I''d just like to point out a few things, although I''m pretty certain you know them already. Spessartites can be very lively and scintillating when done in brilliant cuts, so they could take over the design, especially since most rubelites have that more serene, sleepy, velvety quality. Not to mention that vibrant orange is a color that screams for attention, and that might be an issue. So if you''re really into this idea, I''d consider step cuts for spessartites (or even better - cabs, they''d certainly cost you less
9.gif

When I wear my rubellite next to my spessartite, they both seem to cancel each other out, and I''m not crazy about the combination, so I agree with Mr. Ma Rae here. It''s like both are screaming for attention, and they don''t really flatter each other that well. I like the idea of yellow stones around this color, like someone (I think Lovinggems) is doing with their Mahenge (a color much like this rubellite). Maybe yellow sapphire or canary diamond traps.

As far as the differences in sparkle, I don''t think that is as much a factor as the red/pink and the bright orange clashing colorwise. I could easily see yellow diamond traps with this ring, even though the sparkle factor is high, the color of them will not take away from the hot pink.
Thanks for the suggestion TL, but I can''t do pink and yellow. I can''t even do a pink and yellow combo in the garden. It must be the only combo I just can''t handle. That said, I did manage to breed a pink and lemon columbine this year that blew me away, but I think that was a one off.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 1:12:26 PM

I''m old already, don''t have the time!!
LOL!!!!! That part about the bedroom also gave me a good laugh - I can only imagine...
9.gif
Of course, if you''re really crazy about this combo and you have been for a great part of your life, then indulge yourself and forget about what other people say. But if you can''t pull the trigger, maybe a single spess in RG setting would give you that long awaited fix of pink and orange and get you through this crisis
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Traps for orange sidestones do not sound encouraging if you don’t want to wait. It isn’t going to be easy finding nice orange sapphire or spess traps unless they are custom cut, not to mention without even taking colour into consideration. It’s a good thing you don’t mind synthetics.
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey, if you love that color combo, that''s all that counts.
2.gif
9.gif
I agree with Chrono that it might be a little difficult to find side traps in spessartites. I have seen matching pairs of spessartites from time to time on some sites, but not traps, more like pears and trillions.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I don''t anticipate "finding" sidestones of colour. I think they would have to be custom cut.

So apart from traps or a halo, any other suggestions?

It''s a really grey day here and the snow is falling. Might have to wait for some better weather for photos.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying for the 5th time to post in this thread! For some reason I keep getting kicked out ......... so, last try!!!

I absolutely adore adore adore love love love your new Rubellite. You can see the quality in the incandescent photos. A great Rubellite holds its pink/red and doesn''t show any brown. Yours is a great example. A stunning size, colour and cut. I''m totally green with envy!

Just one comment ........... please don''t overcomplicate the setting for this. It''s such a stand alone gem and it doesn''t need anything else. It''s simply wonderful.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 7:10:27 PM

Truth be told I have no idea yet. I keep seeing orange sides with it, but I will have to think on it for a while. A friend of mine is looking at some design options. Before seeing the stones, I was thinking of a classic Leon halo, but it''s a skinny stone, there''s definitely room for side stones.

I can''t honestly say that it will go to the top of my setting list because I still have my beautiful peachy pink tourmaline that Peter cut for me as well as a small tsavorite, which is going to be the easiest of the 3 to set.

Stephen Avery cuts beautiful pairs and suites. I doubt I will get those, I''d probably have to part with a kidney or sleep with Tiger Woods (neither appeal very much). Stephen doesn''t have a website of his own, but his stones can be found on Farlang for anyone who is interested. Beware though, it''s not a terribly user friendly site.

PR, thanks once again.
35.gif

You''re very welcome, my dear!
35.gif

Normally people don''t see orange and purplish pink together, but do you personally love the idea of those colors together? It may clash to some people, but it''s what your eyes are drawn to that matters. Remember Peachy? She''s a gray stone but with an orangy pink hue. In sunlight, she glows orangy pink. Somehow, I also saw orange sidestones with her. Luckily, I found matching orangy cognac pears just in time. They don''t clash at all. But eventually I may change the sidestones to white diamonds because there doesn''t seem to be enough contrast in certain lighting conditions.

Your stone, however, has a really nice saturation and intense purplish pink color. You can also explore blue, green or purple sidestones. You can also go with white diamond sidestones for a more classic look.

So have you decided on yellow gold for your peachy tourmaline yet? I know you were debating this for a project once.

Your Tiger Woods comment cracked me up as well! I believe there''s a line of women that claim they''re sleeping with him. But you still have Bill Gates and the Sultan of Brunei!
31.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I love it, Gailey!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It''s so pretty, the color, the shape, the cut!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 3:04:00 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Trying for the 5th time to post in this thread! For some reason I keep getting kicked out ......... so, last try!!!

I absolutely adore adore adore love love love your new Rubellite. You can see the quality in the incandescent photos. A great Rubellite holds its pink/red and doesn''t show any brown. Yours is a great example. A stunning size, colour and cut. I''m totally green with envy!

Just one comment ........... please don''t overcomplicate the setting for this. It''s such a stand alone gem and it doesn''t need anything else. It''s simply wonderful.
Hey LD,

Thanks for stopping by. Praise indeed from one of our resident gem goddesses! I''m flattered. Do lower quality rubellites go brown in incancescent light then? I''ve no clue. I''m sitting in bed right now with my new baby sitting on my bedside table under the llight and it is the most shocking pink I have seen it. Yes, I sleep with it at the moment, that''s how much in love I am.

I do hear you about the setting. You preach words of great wisdom as always. Much as I like the idea of the orange, I suspect it won''t be a winner at the end of the day. It would have to be a very precise shade of orange to satisfy me and this will likely be difficult to find. One degree either way would bug me.

It being an elongated stone, it would lend itself to sidestones. Diamond traps a la tsavvy would look classic and elegant. But here''s the kicker. I also have a square emerald tsav that I have set my heart on traps for. Quelle dilema! I suppose I could have two diamond trap rings.

We''ll see.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is gorgeous. What a great color!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 11:26:20 PM

Date: 12/10/2009 7:10:27 PM

PR, thanks once again.
35.gif

You''re very welcome, my dear!
35.gif

Normally people don''t see orange and purplish pink together, but do you personally love the idea of those colors together? It may clash to some people, but it''s what your eyes are drawn to that matters. Remember Peachy? She''s a gray stone but with an orangy pink hue. In sunlight, she glows orangy pink. Somehow, I also saw orange sidestones with her. Luckily, I found matching orangy cognac pears just in time. They don''t clash at all. But eventually I may change the sidestones to white diamonds because there doesn''t seem to be enough contrast in certain lighting conditions.

Your stone, however, has a really nice saturation and intense purplish pink color. You can also explore blue, green or purple sidestones. You can also go with white diamond sidestones for a more classic look.

So have you decided on yellow gold for your peachy tourmaline yet? I know you were debating this for a project once.

Your Tiger Woods comment cracked me up as well! I believe there''s a line of women that claim they''re sleeping with him. But you still have Bill Gates and the Sultan of Brunei!
31.gif
You know PR, I think it is the very fact that hot pink and orange do clash so violently that I love it so much. Same with the purple and orange of my childhood.

The other thing is I just adore the colour combos that Stephen Avery puts together. I encourage everyone to check out his stones on Farlang and the spectrum awards site. I guess I spend a good part of my working life putting colour combos together. On the other hand this is a much more permanent deal than planting orange and pink tulips together - yep done that too!

I do wonder how chic a vibrant orange and pink ring is going to look on an 80 year old. I might be able to carry it off now, not sure about down the road.

As for my beloved pink/peachy tourmaline. The designer I chose and shipped the stone to brought up a number of issues. Some of which would have been easy to resolve if we weren''t thousands of miles apart so the project went onto the back burner for the summer while I went to work and toiled with a vengeance to be able to afford my projects.

Somewhere along the line I saw Blingator''s ring and loved the style. I decided I wanted something similar for my stone which would get rid of the halo issues altogether. Thing is, I have my heart set on french cut diamonds, rather than carré cuts. I was all set to get going again once I finished work for the year and then I saw the square emerald tsavorite and now I have just found this rubellite (not to mention the pearl spell I fell under!). So my setting budget has taken a couple of big hits that I had not planned for.

But I''ll get there, and I''m having such fun along the way.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I got a few more ideas for this one, for example getting small square/princess cut orange stones (shouldn''t be difficult) and setting them flush inside the shank, like 4 or (better) 6 on each side. So they''d act as side stones, but wouldn''t be so difficult and expensive to acquire. Or you can set a row of small square or rectangular orange stones along the lenght of the rubelite, so it would be just a single line of orange on each side - less "in y''r face" than large sides
9.gif
Lines can go for the entire lenght of the stone, or just a part of it, depending on the desired width of the shank. Or how about some channel set orange stone along the middle of the shank. Such stones could also be set in the shank''s profile or in the gallery if you''d like that. God, I''m good today...
9.gif

BTW, did you know that bicolor tourmalines can have orange instead of green?
2.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
And some more; small, round orange stones bead set in the splits of a split shank. Doing an orange stone/yellow gold halo might also be interesting. OK I really need to stop now...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2009 11:53:29 PM

Date: 12/11/2009 3:04:00 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

I absolutely adore adore adore love love love your new Rubellite. You can see the quality in the incandescent photos. A great Rubellite holds its pink/red and doesn't show any brown. Yours is a great example. A stunning size, colour and cut. I'm totally green with envy!

Just one comment ........... please don't overcomplicate the setting for this. It's such a stand alone gem and it doesn't need anything else. It's simply wonderful.
Hey LD,

Thanks for stopping by. Praise indeed from one of our resident gem goddesses! I'm flattered. Do lower quality rubellites go brown in incancescent light then? I've no clue. I'm sitting in bed right now with my new baby sitting on my bedside table under the llight and it is the most shocking pink I have seen it. Yes, I sleep with it at the moment, that's how much in love I am.

I do hear you about the setting. You preach words of great wisdom as always. Much as I like the idea of the orange, I suspect it won't be a winner at the end of the day. It would have to be a very precise shade of orange to satisfy me and this will likely be difficult to find. One degree either way would bug me.

It being an elongated stone, it would lend itself to sidestones. Diamond traps a la tsavvy would look classic and elegant. But here's the kicker. I also have a square emerald tsav that I have set my heart on traps for. Quelle dilema! I suppose I could have two diamond trap rings.

We'll see.
Gailey you say such sweet things. Thank you.

Yes some Rubellite (lower quality - and pink tourmaline being sold as Rubellite(!)) will go distinctly brown in incandescent lighting. I can't tell you how many Rubellites I've returned because of it. I will only keep one if it keeps its colour - and it's clear from your photos that you have a superb one!

In terms of the setting have you considered white sapphires or white zircons? You could go for trilliants or pears or even round brilliant cuts??????

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 3:32:15 AM
I got a few more ideas for this one, for example getting small square/princess cut orange stones (shouldn''t be difficult) and setting them flush inside the shank, like 4 or (better) 6 on each side. So they''d act as side stones, but wouldn''t be so difficult and expensive to acquire. Or you can set a row of small square or rectangular orange stones along the lenght of the rubelite, so it would be just a single line of orange on each side - less ''in y''r face'' than large sides
9.gif
Lines can go for the entire lenght of the stone, or just a part of it, depending on the desired width of the shank. Or how about some channel set orange stone along the middle of the shank. Such stones could also be set in the shank''s profile or in the gallery if you''d like that. God, I''m good today...
9.gif

BTW, did you know that bicolor tourmalines can have orange instead of green?
2.gif
Like this idea Ma Re. Usually I am not fussed about stones in the shank, but enough of the shank will be seen in this case to make a difference.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results