clarity

Trump brags, "I 'inspected' nude Miss Universe contestants"

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
Re: Trump brags, "I 'inspected' nude Miss Universe contestan

Matata|1476476272|4087162 said:
telephone89|1476475369|4087152 said:
ruby59|1476475130|4087147 said:
This is the exact mentality we are talking about. "boys will be boys LOL!" "Whoops I couldn't help but rape her, she had her boobies out! LOL"
Sorry, not acceptable. I hold people accountable for their actions.

You are putting your words in my mouth.

I am not talking about mentality, but biology.
Can you please find a scientific text that says a man will rape because biology tells him to?

I'm quite sure you can't, because it doesn't exist.

Telephone, I do hope ruby and others are not suggesting that men can't control an urge to rape when they see a nice set of female breasts. But there are scientific papers written on men's sexuality that does speak to the differences in sexuality and sexual response between men and women. This one isn't a proper scientific paper but it gets its info from one. To deny the possibility that men become aroused at the sight of certain female body parts is denying their nature. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy-living/sexual-health/a2225/mens-sexual-response/

What you posted is a far cry from what ruby posted. Your post can be respected and respectful. Ruby said it takes two in response to a thread about sexual assault. As much as we hope that what not she meant, she said these words.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1476478268|4087192 said:
telephone89|1476477934|4087188 said:
redwood66|1476477533|4087184 said:
telephone89|1476477171|4087182 said:
ruby59|1476477026|4087178 said:
You are picking mild scenarios I am not referring to and you know it.

Go to a club and see what I mean.
So a woman, in a club, grinding on a man. She is wearing a short skirt and a bra top. She deserves to get raped? What?
vs a woman, in a bakery, buying bread, in jeans. She *doesn't* deserve to get raped?

How does this make any difference?

And this is a jump to rape from the original discussion of disgusting comments. Rape is a crime and never ok under any circumstances.
When people say 'they can't help it' it doesn't matter if its rape or lewd comments. Its still a choice, and is not biological.

What does "they can't help it" got to do with your comment? I was responding to this-

So a woman, in a club, grinding on a man. She is wearing a short skirt and a bra top. She deserves to get raped? What?
vs a woman, in a bakery, buying bread, in jeans. She *doesn't* deserve to get raped?

I think you might have missed something with all the quotes, the conversation went as this

Steph: I can't believe what I am reading. I guess as women, we should be locked away form men. As they can't biologically help themselves. God forbid we need to be seen by a male physician, naked. They can't help themselves. We women are just asking for trouble if they need to examine our breasts or nether regions.

Forget beaches or swimming pools. They should be segregated. I mean, even the best men, most well-intentioned men cannot fight biology.

Ruby: If you cannot understand the difference between a woman lying there under those ugly paper sheets they give you vs a woman getting into a man's face and then wondering why he reacted, then that is your problem.

Me: Yes, walking down the street in a tank top is really "getting into a man's face".

Ruby: You are picking mild scenarios I am not referring to and you know it.

Go to a club and see what I mean.

Me: So a woman, in a club, grinding on a man. She is wearing a short skirt and a bra top. She deserves to get raped? What?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Ruby said it takes two in response to a thread about sexual assault. As much as we hope that what not she meant, she said these words.

Do you do this on purpose.

I said it takes two in educating both your son and your daughter to have self respect.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1476478756|4087198 said:
Ruby said it takes two in response to a thread about sexual assault. As much as we hope that what not she meant, she said these words.

Do you do this on purpose.

I said it takes two in educating both your son and your daughter to have self respect.

Actually not what you said.

Can you please find a scientific text that says a man will rape because biology tells him to?
I'm quite sure you can't, because it doesn't exist.

Never said that either.
What I said is that you can train a male all you want, but there is no such thing as a perfect man no matter how well intentioned he was brought up.
But it takes two. What about bringing up your daughters to have some respect for themselves.
Perhaps you didn't MEAN it the way it sounds, but it sure sounds like 'boys will be boys, even the best trained one will still slip up and and assault a woman. Hows about we just train our womenfolk to cover themselves so as to not tempt the boys?"

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1476478223|4087191 said:
Two thoughts:

1. This thread makes me feel very sad for women who don't think they deserve the same freedoms as men and who live in fear.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gretchen-kelly/the-thing-all-women-do-you-dont-know-about_b_8630416.html

2. It also makes me want to participate in the SlutWalk here this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk

I don't think anyone should live in fear. That article is not me in any way shape or form. I do not put up with leering looks, and you had better not ever lay a hand on me. An inmate brushed against my backside once and in front of about 50 others I dropped his a$$ to the ground cussing very unseemly things under my breath in his ear. Being a victim of sexual abuse at a young age did not make me a life long victim.

It is a woman's responsibility to protect and stand up for herself because you cannot count on anyone else to do it. I wish more women would take this to heart. But you also must be realistic and use common sense because the world that Monnie and telephone want does not exist.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

What I said is that you can train a male all you want, but there is no such thing as a perfect man no matter how well intentioned he was brought up.
But it takes two. What about bringing up your daughters to have some respect for themselves.

Again you are trying to put it into extremes of me telling my daughter to wear a burka?

I think it is pretty clear that I meant to raise your boys like gentlemen and your girls like ladies.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

It is a woman's responsibility to protect and stand up for herself because you cannot count on anyone else to do it. I wish more women would take this to heart. But you also must be realistic and use common sense because the world that Monnie and telephone want does not exist.

And this is why my husband insisted bfore they go away to college, that our girls take self defense classes.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1476479137|4087201 said:
I don't think anyone should live in fear. That article is not me in any way shape or form. I do not put up with leering looks, and you had better not ever lay a hand on me. An inmate brushed against my backside once and in front of about 50 others I dropped his a$$ to the ground cussing very unseemly things under my breath in his ear. Being a victim of sexual abuse at a young age did not make me a life long victim.

So if something doesn't exist, should we not push toward it? Back in the day, the lovely ole internet didn't exist, if people just accepted that and didn't push forward and innovate and try to expand and change, we would go no where!
I agree, it doesn't exist - yet. But I am willing to push forward, be the voice of change, the innovator and entrepreneur if it will mean a better life for generations down the road.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89|1476479900|4087211 said:

So if something doesn't exist, should we not push toward it? Back in the day, the lovely ole internet didn't exist, if people just accepted that and didn't push forward and innovate and try to expand and change, we would go no where!
I agree, it doesn't exist - yet. But I am willing to push forward, be the voice of change, the innovator and entrepreneur if it will mean a better life for generations down the road.

You might get further with me if you didn't feel the need to put me down all the time.

:wavey:

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

redwood66|1476479998|4087212 said:

You might get further with me if you didn't feel the need to put me down all the time.

Which words or sentence were an attack/put down?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sstephensid|1476481170|4087218 said:

This is an FYI for you - You are one of the most disrespectful posters toward those of an opposing opinion on this board and I ignore everything you say.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

redwood66|1476481293|4087219 said:
sstephensid|1476481170|4087218 said:

This is an FYI for you - You are one of the most disrespectful posters on this board and I ignore everything you say.

Now you have said two of us were putting you down or disrespectful. I don't see what telephone said that was putting you down. :confused:

Now you are attacking me.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sstephensid|1476475507|4087154 said:
ruby59|1476474454|4087136 said:
WRONG
He is trained to respond that way, because others do it, and no one says anything about it!!

All the training in the world is not going to control the male sex organ in every man when a woman takes it too far.

Even the best intentioned man will fail on occasion. Simple biology.

When a woman takes it too far? Are you serious? So a woman is dressed provocatively, a man can't help himself? Are you out of your mind? If this is not what you meant, by all means explain yourself.

If what you are saying is true Ruby, women would be attacked on beaches constantly. After all how could men possibly help themselves with so many women wearing so little clothes. What you are saying makes no sense. I have no idea how old you are but I am certainly no spring chicken. What does the average woman do that takes it too far? I can't even believe I just asked that. This just seems crazy to me and I am flipping old. This boys will be boys attitude needs to change.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

It is not just what you wear but how you act?

I went to a club recently and saw women, drunk out of their minds, sitting on men's laps, practically giving them lap dances.

Do you see how some women can give off mixed signals making themselves vulnerable.

And to be clear, I am not saying it is right. I am just saying it is.

We do not live in a perfect society.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

^They made a whole movie about that! It's called "Dirty Dancing," maybe you have heard of it.

The shame of those brazen hussies just getting those poor innocent men all worked up with their hoochie mama ways. In a club, of all places! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

So according to you, raise your girls to be hoochie mamas and your boys to be eunuchs.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about raise humans that don't rape people.

Rape isn't about grinding at the club that goes too far, it's about power control and entitlement.

I'm really starting to get on board with this troll theory.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1476493939|4087274 said:
So according to you, raise your girls to be hooch mamas and your boys to be eunuchs.

Ruby, you really need to read up on sexual assault and rape. You have woefully ignorant views on both, and ones that appear to be colored by sexism. Rape is not about sex, it's about power. Look up ANY article about the subject. To even suggest that women need to not "grind on" men to avoid assault is horribly offensive. If you are trying to troll and upset people: congratulations. You've done that. If you aren't: try to do some research on topics before speaking about them.

It doesn't matter if a women is drunk. If she gave him a lap dance. If she kissed him. If she SAID SHE WOULD SLEEP WITH HIM BUT THEN CHANGED HER MIND. None of that excuses non-consensual activity. To argue that "men can't help it" is a tired and sexist argument, not to mention 100% false.

To Redwood, I do admire your contributions to this forum, regardless of the fact that we disagree on many of these political/social issues. The only thing I'd ask is for some understanding of what you seem to think is a 'victim mentality'. On another page you referred to being sexually assaulted, but that not making you a lifelong victim. I can't tell you how much I admire that, especially that you were able to take down that prisoner who touched you inappropriately (no sarcasm, 100% seriously you rock). But just to offer another perspective: I was in an abusive relationship for years and repeatedly assaulted and raped. Unfortunately, that has manifested itself in me often freezing and panicking in response to situations like that when I feel threatened. I ended up getting date raped by someone I considered a close friend after I repeatedly told him that I didn't want to sleep with him, and said "no" when he tried, but as he persisted and became more "forceful" (although never physically held me down/hit me) I dissociated and froze. It's taken me YEARS to call that incident what it was: rape, because I was ashamed of not fighting back. I just wanted to offer my thoughts as someone who would like to think I am not a "lifelong victim", but also someone who doesn't have your strength and ability to "fight" rather than "freeze".

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1476508549|4087313 said:
To Redwood, I do admire your contributions to this forum, regardless of the fact that we disagree on many of these political/social issues. The only thing I'd ask is for some understanding of what you seem to think is a 'victim mentality'. On another page you referred to being sexually assaulted, but that not making you a lifelong victim. I can't tell you how much I admire that, especially that you were able to take down that prisoner who touched you inappropriately (no sarcasm, 100% seriously you rock). But just to offer another perspective: I was in an abusive relationship for years and repeatedly assaulted and raped. Unfortunately, that has manifested itself in me often freezing and panicking in response to situations like that when I feel threatened. I ended up getting date raped by someone I considered a close friend after I repeatedly told him that I didn't want to sleep with him, and said "no" when he tried, but as he persisted and became more "forceful" (although never physically held me down/hit me) I dissociated and froze. It's taken me YEARS to call that incident what it was: rape, because I was ashamed of not fighting back. I just wanted to offer my thoughts as someone who would like to think I am not a "lifelong victim", but also someone who doesn't have your strength and ability to "fight" rather than "freeze".

lovedogs thank you for your understanding and just because I have chosen my path does not mean that I am not understanding of the pain of others. I am so sorry that this happened to you and affected your life as there is no excuse for any man to rape any woman or a SO to be abusive. Regarding this subject I want to scream out to women that you do not have to be a victim. You can take control of whatever causes you to freeze or endure pain or be afraid. Your worth does not come from men and you deserve the best that there is. I know nothing of psychology other than the required course in college so take anything I say with a grain of salt and my best wishes for your safety and happiness.

I realize I do have very conservative views and have many expectations of people to be decent human beings. Please don't fault me for that or consider me apathetic because I am blunt about my opinions.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Elliot86|1476505720|4087306 said:

Rape isn't about grinding at the club that goes too far, it's about power control and entitlement.

Read the post Red replied to for another poster. That is how I feel about you.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1476539665|4087368 said:
Elliot86|1476505720|4087306 said:

Read the post Red replied to for another poster. That is how I feel about you.

I don't have the time to scroll through looking for some reply, and I don't give a sh!t what you think of me.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Ruby, you really need to read up on sexual assault and rape. You have woefully ignorant views on both, and ones that appear to be colored by sexism. Rape is not about sex, it's about power. Look up ANY article about the subject. To even suggest that women need to not "grind on" men to avoid assault is horribly offensive. If you are trying to troll and upset people: congratulations. You've done that. If you aren't: try to do some research on topics before speaking about them.

Ignorant or practical, I have told my daughters to never get into a situation they could not handle.

I wish my mom had done the same with me.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1476508549|4087313 said:
ruby59|1476493939|4087274 said:
So according to you, raise your girls to be hooch mamas and your boys to be eunuchs.

It doesn't matter if a women is drunk. If she gave him a lap dance. If she kissed him. If she SAID SHE WOULD SLEEP WITH HIM BUT THEN CHANGED HER MIND. None of that excuses non-consensual activity. To argue that "men can't help it" is a tired and sexist argument, not to mention 100% false.
Actually, it doesn't matter if two people are in the middle of sex and someone decides to stop. If the other doesn't allow the act to stop, it then becomes rape.

There is no such things as "the point of no return." Once the words "stop" or "no" are said and not honored, it becomes rape.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Actually, it doesn't matter if two people are in the middle of sex and someone decides to stop. If the other doesn't allow the act to stop, it then becomes rape.

There is no such things as "the point of no return." Once the words "stop" or "no" are said and not honored, it becomes rape.

I wish I could make myself clearer.

I am in no way advocating this in the least. Intelligent people would understand that. I have been a member here for over 10 years. So to accuse me of being a troll is ludicrous.

What I am saying is that in a perfect world this would hold true. But we do not live in one. That is why I taught my daughters to not get themselves into that type of situation in the first place.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1476540420|4087378 said:

I wish I could make myself clearer.

I am in no way advocating this in the least. Intelligent people would understand that. I have been a member here for over 10 years. So to accuse me of being a troll is ludicrous.

What I am saying is that in a perfect world this would hold true. But we do not live in one. That is why I taught my daughters to not get themselves into that type of situation in the first place.

You've mentioned before that when you were young you were a victim of sexual assault or molestation, I'm not sure because you weren't specific (and that''s fine.) I think I understand the point you're trying to make, which is that you don't want that to happen to anyone else and you believe there are things women can do to have control over their situations so something WON'T happen to them. What others here and I are trying to get across to you is that this line of thinking absolutely gives power and control to the victimizers, not the victims. It is an old-school way of thinking and it places all the blame on the victim, not on the perpetrator where it should be. What we are saying is that instead of teaching girls to be the ones the responsibility falls on to protect themselves from predators, teach boys that it's not ok to just "grab women by the pussy" or rape them, or assault them because they've been drinking or because they're wearing what some might consider "suggestive" clothing or dancing provocatively at a club. Women get to be sexual beings, too. Not just men. We get to express ourselves however we choose, and men need to learn that if we change our minds at ANY GIVEN TIME they need to respect that. I'm sure it can be physically achieved. If a man is strong enough to overpower a woman, he's strong enough to walk away.

See, there's this whole other train of thought out there, Ruby. And it's progressive. And it assumes human beings will evolve until they stop treating one another like animals. We are steadfastly marching towards that. And when I talk about the Trumps, the dinosaurs, the old-schoolers being replaced? They're being replaced with forward-thinking humanists like me and Elliott and Telephone and others here and countless others who lurk but don't post here anymore because why bother? I believe we should bother. And I'll never shut up about this. Ever. My views are not unrealistic. I will not sit back and be told "that's jjust the way it is." I will not become complacent. I will continue to fight for equality for your daughters and for mine. Have a nice day.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock

Monarch :appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Monnie thank you for that post. This is the kind of discourse that we should try to have about this subject. I want to be honest here in that my way of thinking is somewhere in between because we do not live in that world yet. I worry for the young ladies we have in the here and now. People of all socioeconomic backgrounds raise (or don't raise) young men who do not have respect for women and they are out there every day. Ruby is right in her thinking about not putting yourself in a position you may not be able to get yourself out of and she should not be admonished for people not understanding her point. Because those ill raised young or old men are waiting and they are vicious. What people should do and what actually happens are two very different things. All I am asking is that you realize that protecting yourself is important and that expectations of someone else's actions being proper is ill advised. Knowing what I know and then not speak up when it comes to situational awareness for women would be tantamount to a dereliction of duty in my mind. And please do not mock me when I speak of it because it comes from long years of experience and care for my fellow women.

I may have been harsh earlier to sstephenid and I apologize for it. If we can't have proper respectful discourse then I will not respond to taunts.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Red, I know you are coming from a place of self-preservation and protection and that you know the world to be a different place than some of us idealists here. I totally get that. Hearing about you dropping a guy for grabbing your butt is empowering and I am proud to know women who are strong enough to do that.

My mom was raped by the father of children she was babysitting for when she was 18. She was in the front hall waiting for him to drive her home (this is back in the early 60s) and he just pushed her down and raped her right there and there was nothing she could do. She wasn't wearing anything suggestive and she had just taken care of his children all evening. There was no preventing it. she didn't put herself in a bad situation. She was doing what millions of girls her age were doing every Friday night. Yet, she still told me I was dressing in appropriately and like a slut and screamed at me for wearing a 2-piece swimsuit at 14, etc. I was something she wanted to control because she hadn't been able to control her own situation. Nope. Ended up with a raging eating disorder (since I couldn't control anything else). And married someone who was very abusive the first time, and de-escalated and acquiesed because that's what I'd seen my mother do with my dad. Keep the peace. Keep them happy. So when I talk about getting to the root of the issue, that's why. Until we stop blaming ourselves and start placing blame, accountability, and responsibility where it belongs, with the boys and men who perpetrate these crimes, we're just going to continue the cycle. Rape doesn't just affect the victim. It affects her daughters, and her daughters' daughters, so on and so forth. It has to stop.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for your story and it makes sense that women of that time would react to their experience in that way. I am sorry for both you and your mother. I hope that people reading these posts gain something from them. I understand your POV better and am glad you understand mine. We all want the best for everyone.

ETA - Please do not think that a woman learning to protect herself is placing any blame. The blame is squarely on the men who rape. Learning how to protect oneself is empowering even for daily activities dealing with men on the subway, in a mall, at work, wherever. A man does not have to be a rapist to be a pig. If you gain confidence then you can put a man in his place with words.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Has this been shared? I love this video the Brits put out using tea as an analogy for sexual assault. It's a stick figure cartoon and would be OK for older kids to watch, so SFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6alIALDHA

I find it interesting all the things moms of girls say and teach their girls to try to prevent them from being attacked, but I rarely hear moms of boys going on about how they are going to make sure they raise boys to keep their hands off of women. I have boys and girls, and aside from teaching my girls ways they can try to stay safe, I also teach my boys to be respectful of women, and, hopefully, they will always be respectful of women in words and deeds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results