color
clarity

Royal Jewels

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 11:15:09 AM
Author: neil31uk
And as I said rubies are a love of mine, here is a great royal example. This crown has been featured here before but it was part of a documentary in the UK a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it was made for Richard II and worn by his wife and then given as part of the dowery along with an English Princess a few years later when she married into a german royal house. This is the only reason is survived the brutal melting down of the crown jewels by Oliver Cromwell and so it is the last English Medieval crown still in existence. As well as the large rubies and sapphires, there are small emeralds and diamonds and some enamel work too. and the obvious pearls.

Enjoy...
That is something to behold, and such history behind it. Thank you so much for posting that crown.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 3:42:28 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav

Date: 3/2/2010 10:45:04 AM
Hi All,

On the subject of the DoW jewels here is her impressive ruby necklace. It''s a remarkable piece and I love rubies.

This necklace is part of a ruby and diamond set that Van Cleef & Arpels made for The Duchess. The set is composed of the necklace, a bracelet and the two invisibly set feather brooches. The other two jewels on the photo are Wallis'' solitaire and a heart shaped pendant (or is it a brooch?):
hey prince,
The ruby neclace is also one of my favorite pieces in her collection.Please correct me if im wrong,but isnt the necklace and bracelet from Cartier(originally designed by the duke) and the feather pin from Van Cleef.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi jewelerman!

First I''d like to thank you for calling me Prince. That''s something that hasn''t happened since I started signing my posts;-)

Like his mother and brothers, The Duke of Windsor had a keen eye on jewellery and as you say designed some of his wife''s pieces. It''s also correct that The Duchess had many jewels by Cartier and after her death the most important of them were bought back by the firm.
The ruby and diamond Cravate necklace, however, is definitely by VCA and was commissioned in 1939 by Wallis.

And here is a part of a detailed close-up of the necklace, showing the mystery set diamonds - a method used exclusively by Van Cleef & Arpels:

dowrncup.JPG

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 11:15:09 AM
And as I said rubies are a love of mine, here is a great royal example. This crown has been featured here before but it was part of a documentary in the UK a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it was made for Richard II and worn by his wife and then given as part of the dowery along with an English Princess a few years later when she married into a german royal house. This is the only reason is survived the brutal melting down of the crown jewels by Oliver Cromwell and so it is the last English Medieval crown still in existence. As well as the large rubies and sapphires, there are small emeralds and diamonds and some enamel work too. and the obvious pearls.

Enjoy...

I think this is beautiful. Thank you, neil31uk.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 6:30:50 AM
And here is a part of a detailed close-up of the necklace, showing the mystery set diamonds - a method used exclusively by Van Cleef & Arpels:

I like this picture a lot. Thank you, Bobby.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock

Hi All,

On the subject of the DoW jewels here is her impressive ruby necklace. It''s a remarkable piece and I love rubies.

This necklace is part of a ruby and diamond set that Van Cleef & Arpels made for The Duchess. The set is composed of the necklace, a bracelet and the two invisibly set feather brooches. The other two jewels on the photo are Wallis'' solitaire and a heart shaped pendant (or is it a brooch?):

Hey Prince,

Do you have any information the solitaire? It looks huge!

Cheers,

Neil

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 12:10:56 PM

Hi All,

Hey Prince,

Do you have any information the solitaire? It looks huge!

Cheers,

Neil
Neil,
The diamond is huge.If i remember correctly(its been a while since ive seen the auction catologe)the stone was 26 carats and was bought by wallis through Harry winston ,who bought it from the Elilyn walch McClean estate(along with the Hope diamond) after she died approximatly in the 1950s.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 7:53:43 PM
Author: jewelerman

Hi All,

hey prince,
The ruby neclace is also one of my favorite pieces in her collection.Please correct me if im wrong,but isnt the necklace and bracelet from Cartier(originally designed by the duke) and the feather pin from Van Cleef.
Prince,
I stand corrected!According to one book on the jewel collection and an article by Forbes magizine the necklace is by Van Cleef....made in 1936 for her 40th birthday gift from the Duke.However if you will look at the close up of the neclace you will see that the stones are held in by traditional prong set methods rather then the signature invisable set made popular by the firm.The gaps and use of metal on the end of each baggett show prong rather then invisable style setting.In my opinion one of best designed pieces of ruby jewelry done!Thanks for the post and pictures!JM

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, jewelerman for the additional information about the ring and the necklace. Thats an impressive birthday present, isn''t it? From what I remember, however, I think that Forbes got it wrong...the orders book of VCA clearly shows the year when the necklace wes ordered as 1939, not 1936. And if I remember correctly, the then Wallis Simpson got and emerald and diamond bracelet from the then Edward VIII for her 40th birthday...

Whenever this necklace was given it really is one of the most beautiful ruby/diamond ones.

I stand corrected about the diamonds! There are tiny prong indeed.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The official welcoming ceremony for South African President Jacob Zuma: Surprisingly (to me at least) The Queen din''t wear a brooch on her coat and dress, but that''s understandable because any brooch wold look odd with these buttons.

97394911.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wore some well-known jewels - pearl and diamond dangle earrings and an Art Deco diamond and rocky crystal brooch from QEQM on her scarf:

97394951.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
First pics from the State Banquet! It seems that HM The Queen made a very wise choise of jewels - Queen Alexandra's kokoshnik (my choice) and the 21st birthday diamonds (a tribute to the visiting coutry). Very hard to tell, but I think that the earrings are the ones that Diana wore once or twice:

ETA: Any idea what order The Queen is wearing?

r117152587.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:11:18 PM
And here is a link to an article aboth VCA, which has a huge photo of the necklace and a snapshot of the ordes book - Luxury: Much More than Meets the Eye at Van Cleef & Arpels

And here is The Duchess of Windsor wearing the giant diamond ring and Queen Mary''s pearls:
the diamond has a very intersting past...being a possible gift to evelyn Walch McClean from her father as part of her wedding gifts(she also recieved a large pear shaped diamond from Cartier Paris)Prince,If you will look at the page you posted it shows the 1936 date for the order year for the cravet nacklace.There is so much information to remember about famous pieces!Im glad that there are people on the forum who are interested about their past.JM

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
OK, I had another look at the page and the year 1936 is mentioned in one of the captions at the end of the article. The year 1939, however, appears on the page of the order book - it say Paris, le 22 Mai 1939 / M Dss de Windsor and uner these words is the description of the diamonds and the rubies used in the necklace and the price payed.
So one has got it wrong, but who - the official orders book of Van Cleef & Arpels or the writer of the article and Forbes? You decide. For me the answer is clear.

Here is a link to the pages from the order book - Link

You're right that there's too much information and if one doesn't have books on royals and jewels (which is my situation) mistakes may sometimes occur.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:33:22 PM
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall wore some well-known jewels - pearl and diamond dangle earrings and an Art Deco diamond and rocky crystal brooch from QEQM on her scarf:
I love art deco pieces and this broach is a great example and one of my favourites.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
The wealth of knowledge on this site is AMAZING! Thank you for all this guys, you are great!

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:56:45 PM
First pics from the State Banquet! It seems that HM The Queen made a very wise choise of jewels - Queen Alexandra''s kokoshnik (my choice) and the 21st birthday diamonds (a tribute to the visiting coutry). Very hard to tell, but I think that the earrings are the ones that Diana wore once or twice:

A close up of this necklace: http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/dressfortheoccasion/object.asp?exhibs=BPSO2006jewellery&item=7

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 4:56:45 PM
First pics from the State Banquet! It seems that HM The Queen made a very wise choise of jewels - Queen Alexandra''s kokoshnik (my choice) and the 21st birthday diamonds (a tribute to the visiting coutry). Very hard to tell, but I think that the earrings are the ones that Diana wore once or twice:

I think this is the "Grand Cross in Gold of the Order of Good Hope", it is the only South African order that she currently holds (that she would be wearing).

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
also kind of new photos for the swedish royal court webbsite

namnlös.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
More photos from the State Banquet last night - behind the Queen and the President we can spot TRH The Princess Royal and The Duchess of Gloucester. Princess Anne's wearing her festoon tiara and sapphire and pearl choker. I can't say what The Duchess wore, but it might be the Indian tiara or the Honeysuckle:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Duchess of Cornwall wore the Honeycomb tiara (surprise?) and the Saudi Arabian emeralds. Strange that she didn''t wear the earrings from the suit. This picture makes me think - have we seen Camila wearing a ring on fer right hand?

97409470.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add that The Queen also wore her mother''s "foot long" brooch on the opposite side of the royal family orders:

e673.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And here is Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother wering the brooch at Ascot in 1969:

3226823.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:39:32 AM
Here is front view of the glittering Princess:

That''s on hell of a necklace!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester definitely made my day! She wore the Honeysuckle tiara with the emerald center and and emerald and diamond necklace and earrings at the Guildhall banquet for President Zuma.
One small advise to HRH - Please, Your Royal Highness, change that dress. It's beautiful, but you've been wearing it for years now:

97438788.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 7:12:11 PM

I think this is the 'Grand Cross in Gold of the Order of Good Hope', it is the only South African order that she currently holds (that she would be wearing).

A bit off-topic, sorry!

So why when Mandela visited Elizabeth wore the green-yellow sash of the order and yesterday she wore some kind of a collar?

Also look at the hideous way President Zuma's waistcoat lookad - it's much longer than it should be. And who advised him to wear the Order of The Bath so tight around his chest? When Sarkozi was at Windsor Castle, the badge was visible under his tailcoat (like Prince Philip's lesser George). All in all - a poor appearence for the presidential couple (IMHO of course!).

Link to a DailyMaily article about the visit with many pictures - The day polygamist president Jacob Zuma dined with the 'old fashioned imperialists'

Bobby

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:39:32 AM
Here is front view of the glittering Princess:
I just can''t get used to Camilla looking like a "Queen."

Lori

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results