color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:22:02 PM
Author: laurensmama
Thanks Bobby,

I did not realize the rose tiara was a gift to the queen mother. I thought maybe it belonged to the strathmores, similiar to the Spencer tiara worn so famously by the Princess of Wales which was returned to Earl of Spencer upon her death.

Well, what I wrote was "... a wedding gift from the Earl and the Countess of Strathmore to Lady Elizabeth", not on loan/borrowed from the Earl and the Countess.
And of course there was no need for any of the generous Queen Mary's daughters-in-law to borrow jewels
2.gif

Anyway, you're welcome.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:25:20 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Crown Princess Sarah wearing her diamond tiara, an impressive diamond necklace and brooch. Her earrings seem to be quite something, but are hidden under the hijab. Although quite nice and definitely expensive, the jewels of the Brunei ladies look rather tacky and some of them even fake to me.

Wealth does not always mean taste - as some of these pieces show! Not really my cup of tea - some of these just look like the display of gems for the sake of it, not really much in the way of beautiful design.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
I agree while some of the pieces are quite beautiful. Some of them are just too too much, a little restraint is in order.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with you guys! That''s why I wrote Wealth display. There are some nice pieces like Azrinaz''s tiara and the two solitaires from the last post, which I wouldn''t mind having. But I won''t have the use of these jewels, of course.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On 24th Feb. TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visited The Polish Social And Cultural Association. The Duchess wore the same outfit and pair of brooches as at the welcoming ceremony of The President of India last year:

97044277.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today* The Duchess wore her new choker at Melcombe Primary School. HRH wore the the badge of 4th Rifles in memory of the soldier shot in Afghanistan today. One of the wors photos of Camilla, but the best of the diamond clasp so far.

* Today means 25th February, but here in Bulgaria it's already 26th.

97048617.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Again Camilla. This time in the evening at the World Premiere of "Alice in Wonderland" at Odeon Leicester Square, London. The Duchess of Cornwall wore her aquamarine set and long diamond earrings. Obviously the Westwood navy blue dress is The Duchess' favourite, since she's worn it a lot recently, on 19th at Windsor castle for the last time.

Link to a photo - Alice In Wonderland: Royal World Premiere - Outside Arrivals

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
I do love the cartier tiara worn by princess haya and queen rania. It is rather delicate looking.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 4:29:01 PM
Author: neil31uk

Crown Princess Sarah wearing her diamond tiara, an impressive diamond necklace and brooch. Her earrings seem to be quite something, but are hidden under the hijab. Although quite nice and definitely expensive, the jewels of the Brunei ladies look rather tacky and some of them even fake to me.

Wealth does not always mean taste - as some of these pieces show! Not really my cup of tea - some of these just look like the display of gems for the sake of it, not really much in the way of beautiful design.
I agree with both of you...interesting BUT kinda tacky.

I want to thank all of you who contributed to this thread!! I love it and check it daily.
36.gif

EmeraldBaroness

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 1:22:32 PM

Welcome to Pricescope, Emerald Baroness! Thanks for confirming that Princess Michael''s jewels are real emeralds (I was sure, though) and posting the picture. This earrings were given to her by The Duchess of Windsor. I wonder what the beads in the multi row necklace are? Perhaps aquamarines? This seems to be a wedding. Am I right?

Have a grat time here,

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

sorry for my belated reply. You are very welcome and thank you, I enjoy the pictures you post here, keep them coming!
1.gif
Yes, it was a wedding of a member of the British Aristocray, sadly I forgot the name. I''m not sure about the necklace. But here''s the famous ruby brooch she also received by the Duchess of Windsor.

rubybroochwindsorkent.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back EmeraldBaroness!

Thanks for posting the picture of HRH Princess Michael of Kent. Sadly (or maybe not) the brooch isn''t seen these days.

The Duchess of Windsor commisioned a ruby bead necklace of Indian inspiration from Cartier in 1949. In 1963 the two tassels and the clasp were removed by Cartier and the brooch was created.

Here is a photo of the original necklace:

collier.indien.cartier.dcs.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And finally the brooch, now worn by Marie-Christine:

sol_br_dow_pmk.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 1:38:35 PM
A view of the rings and the pendant of the corsage:
ARE THESE GEMSTONES NATURAL???
23.gif

Lori

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think they''re hideous, they should just give them to me!
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2010 1:36:05 PM
A wealth display! That''s how I call this. I''m not sure who this lady is, but look at the size of the stones in the braclet and watch. They even place ''brooches'' on their bags:
How did you find that picture of me going to Sunday brunch???
23.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Legendary Spanish royal gem, the Whittelsbach blue diamond has been recut by it's new owner, billionaire jewelry mogul, Laurence Graff. It is now known as the "Whittelsbach-Graff" diamond. Here is the recently unveiled recut, and it is currently on display beside the Hope diamond at the Smithsonian. After testing both stones, it was determined they were both not from the same mine. The stone lost around 4 carats in the recut.

Wittelsbach_unveiled.JPG

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:20:05 PM
An aal emerald tiara worn during the King and Queen''s Sate Visit to Sweden, on loan from a jeweler (Van Cleef & Arpels IIRC):
I must admit that I''m a sucker for the organic looking jewels! This is a wonderful piece. Reminds me of the danish ruby parure.

Picture: Crown princess Ingrid of Denmark at her grandpa''s (King Gustaf V of Sweden) 80th birthday, wearing the rubies before the corsage/brooch was added to the tiara.

robinj

Shiny_Rock
I also forgot to attach!
26.gif

lareinaingridlatnh9.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On 23 February Lady Helen Taylor attended the Love Ball at the Roundhouse, London. Her necklace is by Armani:

96999086.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Close-up of the watch (maybe also Armani) and eveninig bag:

97001944.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2010 8:37:42 AM
Author: robinj

I must admit that I'm a sucker for the organic looking jewels! This is a wonderful piece. Reminds me of the danish ruby parure.

Picture: Crown princess Ingrid of Denmark at her grandpa's (King Gustaf V of Sweden) 80th birthday, wearing the rubies before the corsage/brooch was added to the tiara.

Well, floral tiars are beautiful, but the all-emerald tiara that Rania wore is an exception. With the same succes she could just put a tree branch with the leafs on her head. But of course I respect your opinion;-)

Anyway, your picture of the then Crown Princess Ingrid is a nice excuse to post this favourite portrait of the much older Queen Ingrid wearing the reworked version of the tiara:

124993660660.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Were any other pieces given to the royal family upon the Duchess of Windsor''s death. I realize that a majority of her jewels were auctioned for charity. Also what happened to the crown that the Duke of Windsor took with him when he abdicated the throne?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 10:07:01 PM
Author: laurensmama
Were any other pieces given to the royal family upon the Duchess of Windsor's death. I realize that a majority of her jewels were auctioned for charity. Also what happened to the crown that the Duke of Windsor took with him when he abdicated the throne?

Hi, Laurensmama!

The only Windsors that benefited from The Duchess of Windsor were Kents. Wallis had the intention to give Diana her PoW feather brooch as a wedding present and I've read that after The Duke's death and a kind letter from Charles, she said that everything should go to the Prince of Wales, but for some reason she didn't do these things. As a result her jewels and other personal belongings were sold on behalf of The Pasteur Institute.

You've already seen a pair of huge emerald earrings, a pair of ruby and diamond earrings worn by Princess Micheal and that ruby/emerald brooch. I think that Princess Micheal also got a diamond and sapphire bracelet. Princess Alexandra and The Duchess of Kent also have some jewels from Wallis.

PS: I think The late Princess of Wales would have looked more than stunning in Wallis/Queen Mary's pearls.

These are the earring that The Duchess of Windsor gave to Princess Micheal as wedding present:

MC_weddpres.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And about the coronet - The Coronet of George, Prince of Wales was returned to the United Kingdom after the ex-king's death in 1972. It's now on display in The Tower of London.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

On the subject of the DoW jewels here is her impressive ruby necklace. It''s a remarkable piece and I love rubies.

wallisRNeck.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
And as I said rubies are a love of mine, here is a great royal example. This crown has been featured here before but it was part of a documentary in the UK a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it was made for Richard II and worn by his wife and then given as part of the dowery along with an English Princess a few years later when she married into a german royal house. This is the only reason is survived the brutal melting down of the crown jewels by Oliver Cromwell and so it is the last English Medieval crown still in existence. As well as the large rubies and sapphires, there are small emeralds and diamonds and some enamel work too. and the obvious pearls.

Enjoy...

paletinecrown.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 6:07:18 AM
And about the coronet - The Coronet of George, Prince of Wales was returned to the United Kingdom after the ex-king''s death in 1972. It''s now on display in The Tower of London.

Bobby

I know this isn''t the Crown in question, but this great pic does show the rest of the prince of wales regalia. The circlet he is wearing, I am not sure when it was made and why it was used for PoW investiture for the later DoW. Any information out there?

2322680.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 10:45:04 AM
Author: neil31uk
Hi All,

On the subject of the DoW jewels here is her impressive ruby necklace. It''s a remarkable piece and I love rubies.

This necklace is part of a ruby and diamond set that Van Cleef & Arpels made for The Duchess. The set is composed of the necklace, a bracelet and the two invisibly set feather brooches. The other two jewels on the photo are Wallis'' solitaire and a heart shaped pendant (or is it a brooch?):

wallisrubies.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today (2nd March) the State Visit of HE The President of South Africa and his wife started. Tomorow they'll be officialy greated by The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh. In the evening HM will host a State Banquet at Buckingham Palace (lesser photo opportunities
7.gif
).
Hopefuly we'll see some South African diamonds during this visit. I sincerely hope that HM will wear 'the chips' during the SB, but it's hard to predict what Elizabeth will wear. When Nelson Mandela visited, HM wore The Cambridge and Delhi Durbar parure. I think we can assume that Camilla will wear the Honeycomb, since some of the diamonds in it were a gift from DeBeers (and it what she mostly wears of course). What about the other royal ladies? Princess Anne is now in Afganistan, so she may not attend. On HRH The Duchess of Gloucester I hope we'll see some emerlads and for HRH Princess Micheal - the fringe tiara and other diamonds or some sapphires. TRH The Earl & Countess of Wessex didn't attend the last few banquets, but if they do now her wedding tiara would be my choice.

Other opinions?

Bobby

The Queen at the banquet during Nelson Mandela's State Visit to the United Kingdom in 2000:

161b38379f.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results