shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I have some thinly sliced beef left from yesterdsy''s Philly cheese steaks so I thought I would try
my hand at Shabu Shabu. If you would like to try making japanese dishes there ae plenty of tutorials on You Tube.
My favorite is Cooking With Dog. Don''t worry. The dog, a French poodle named Francis, is the host and narrator
of the show. Everything I have made has been OISHII ! (delicioua)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 4:14:12 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678

Date: 2/7/2010 4:05:46 PM
Author: kama_s
Making braised lamb shank tonight!

I sure hope your family appreciates having someone make braised lamb for them! Isn't that notoriously tricky?
I'm not kama, but generally anything braised is extremely easy. Brown, cover, then put in the oven for a few hours. It's one of my favorite ways to cook because everything tastes fantastic and the cooking method is so un-fussy.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 6:13:38 PM
Author: MC
Apparently my dinner is beer, doritos, french bread, & diet rootbeer. That''s the last time I let my DH go to the store for food! (Luckily I bought a pork tenderloin roast a few days back and can cook that up!)

Pre-dinner treat: kids are having rootbeer floats. I never buy ice cream so they''re thrilled at the opportunity to endulge.
that sounds like my DH:)

I''m having a big salad with some leftover barley, and popcorn for dinner.

DH is having leftover queso (since he was so excited about watching the superbowl on his new big TV and having people over yesterday that he made enough for an army) with veggies and dip.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 3:58:48 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo

Date: 2/7/2010 6:13:38 PM
Apparently my dinner is beer, doritos, french bread, & diet rootbeer. That''s the last time I let my DH go to the store for food! (Luckily I bought a pork tenderloin roast a few days back and can cook that up!)

Pre-dinner treat: kids are having rootbeer floats. I never buy ice cream so they''re thrilled at the opportunity to endulge.
that sounds like my DH:)

I''m having a big salad with some leftover barley, and popcorn for dinner.
Part of our dinner last night ended up being popcorn. We normally buy microwave, however my son found our air popper tucked away in a cabinet so we popped up some regular old-fashioned popcorn and the kids loved it. They ate that along with their pork! lol

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I''m having leftover pizza I feel bad let going to waste, DH is having a whole wheat and flax seed egg wrap.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chicken Stir fry and brown rice.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s rice and beans for us again, tonight. YUM!

I was going to repurpose some leftover meatballs from last night, but they were too spicy for DH. He can''t take the heat!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Tonight I think we''re having salmon, mushroom polenta, and a veggie - I can''t decide between asparagus or brussel sprouts.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Since it was just me home for dinner tonight, I made myself soup & a sandwich--potato & leek soup and attempted to make tuna melt toasties...they were good, but kinda fell apart. Ah well, a head chef I am not.
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 4:09:08 PM
Author: elrohwen
Tonight I think we''re having salmon, mushroom polenta, and a veggie - I can''t decide between asparagus or brussel sprouts.
Definetly go for asparagus!

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
Lasagna that my father-in-law made for us last night. We went skiing this weekend and he watched our dog. Made the lasagna so I wouldn''t have to cook- what a guy!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 4:32:36 PM

I think I will! I love how I can just cut off the ends, throw it in a pot with a steamer, and 5 minutes later I have asparagus. Brussel sprouts take more effort.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:32:28 PM

I think I will! I love how I can just cut off the ends, throw it in a pot with a steamer, and 5 minutes later I have asparagus. Brussel sprouts take more effort.

I love brussel sprouts sauteed with a little olive oil and fresh minced garlic, salt and pepper... mmmm...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 5:48:26 PM

Tonight I think we're having salmon, mushroom polenta, and a veggie - I can't decide between asparagus or brussel sprouts.

I love brussel sprouts sauteed with a little olive oil and fresh minced garlic, salt and pepper... mmmm...

I make them the same way, but I roast in the oven instead of sautee. I should try making them on the stove next time to see how they come out. Do you pour in water and let them steam at all? Or just straight up sautee them in the oil?

I bought the whole big brussel sprout stem thing from the store today (they always seem to taste better than the ones that are already picked) and the thought of pulling them all off seems like too much effort
3.gif
I'll have to think of what I can make with them later this week.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I steam them and then toss them in the already hot pan and throw in the garlic. I have made them in the oven before too. Sometimes I make them with fresh scallions instead of garlic. Yum!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Have you ever tried broiling them? Turn the oven on, spritz the asparagus with olive oil and rosemary and stick under the heat. The very tips get a bit crunchy. So good!

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
Broiled brussels? Never thought of that, but I am in *love* with the sprouts so I will have try to that sometime.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmm roasted/broiled asparagus is one of my favorites! So yummy!

Tonight I made up a big pot of white chicken chili and it was deeelicious!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
fruit and cheese plate to start. then jumbo shrimp, salmon and lobster in hollandaise over pasta with a side salad (mixed greens, tomatoes, avocado, asparagus, roasted walnuts and onions with a lemon rind and walnut oil dressing). then passionfruit and banana pavlova.

you''ll notice i''ve waited till we''re having guests to post to this thread.... normally it''s toast!

:D

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock

I sure hope your family appreciates having someone make braised lamb for them! Isn''t that notoriously tricky?

yes! unlike beef, for instance, the fibre in the muscle of lamb is particularly unforgiving when braised. altho it roasts well and does well in a casserole, i find direct/high heat for shanks can lead to all kinds of trouble if the braising is done even a minute too long.

i do a lamb shank casserole which includes a tomato sauce made from scratch (takes all day just to make the sauce!) fresh mint, red wine, and so on. it''s DELICIOUS. i tried braising the shanks a couple of times, and it totally changed the texture of the meat. i''ve gone back to ''straight in the pot''; it has plenty of color from the sauce and i don''t run the risk of lamb that comes out like leather!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 7:46:35 PM
Author: whitby_2773

I sure hope your family appreciates having someone make braised lamb for them! Isn't that notoriously tricky?

yes! unlike beef, for instance, the fibre in the muscle of lamb is particularly unforgiving when braised. altho it roasts well and does well in a casserole, i find direct/high heat for shanks can lead to all kinds of trouble if the braising is done even a minute too long.

i do a lamb shank casserole which includes a tomato sauce made from scratch (takes all day just to make the sauce!) fresh mint, red wine, and so on. it's DELICIOUS. i tried braising the shanks a couple of times, and it totally changed the texture of the meat. i've gone back to 'straight in the pot'; it has plenty of color from the sauce and i don't run the risk of lamb that comes out like leather!
Eeks. Sorry, I should have clarified. While it is supposed to be braised, I actually skip over that part. I make it in my Le Creuset, with a home-made wine based tomato sauce. It cooks for over 3 hous, the lamb comes out succulent and juicy.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 8:02:21 PM

I sure hope your family appreciates having someone make braised lamb for them! Isn''t that notoriously tricky?

i do a lamb shank casserole which includes a tomato sauce made from scratch (takes all day just to make the sauce!) fresh mint, red wine, and so on. it''s DELICIOUS. i tried braising the shanks a couple of times, and it totally changed the texture of the meat. i''ve gone back to ''straight in the pot''; it has plenty of color from the sauce and i don''t run the risk of lamb that comes out like leather!

Eeks. Sorry, I should have clarified. While it is supposed to be braised, I actually skip over that part. I make it in my Le Creuset, with a home-made wine based tomato sauce. It cooks for over 3 hous, the lamb comes out succulent and juicy.

got it, kama. that''s exactly how i do mine, too. works like a dream. (isn''t lamb shank casserole AMAZING??) yummmmmmmmmm!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 7:40:45 PM
fruit and cheese plate to start. then jumbo shrimp, salmon and lobster in hollandaise over pasta with a side salad (mixed greens, tomatoes, avocado, asparagus, roasted walnuts and onions with a lemon rind and walnut oil dressing). then passionfruit and banana pavlova.

you''ll notice i''ve waited till we''re having guests to post to this thread.... normally it''s toast!

Wow, that sounds delicious!!!!

We are having some Tilapia with pasta and veggies... not very exciting
3.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 8:24:25 PM
Author: poshpepper
Date: 2/8/2010 7:40:45 PM

Wow, that sounds delicious!!

We are having some Tilapia with pasta and veggies... not very exciting
3.gif

thanks posh :) tho i have to say - i really like tilapia too :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

i do a lamb shank casserole which includes a tomato sauce made from scratch (takes all day just to make the sauce!) fresh mint, red wine, and so on. it's DELICIOUS. i tried braising the shanks a couple of times, and it totally changed the texture of the meat. i've gone back to 'straight in the pot'; it has plenty of color from the sauce and i don't run the risk of lamb that comes out like leather!
Isn't that just the definition of braising?
33.gif
Putting something in a small amount of liquid and allowing it to cook for a few hours? Maybe you're skipping the searing, but you're not skipping the braising.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 9:09:09 PM

Isn't that just the definition of braising?
33.gif
Putting something in a small amount of liquid and allowing it to cook for a few hours? Maybe you're skipping the searing, but you're not skipping the braising.
Haha, well, there you have it. No chef here. Whatever it is I cook, it's friggin delicious. Better than a neighboring fancy french restaurant. All I do know is that it's free of salmonella and melts in my mouth.
11.gif

ETA: Wiki to the rescue! I am now all read up on braising. So apparently the first step in braising is searing, so I guess I make a modified braised lamb?

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Tonight is foil baked salmon & veggies, easy & good.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 9:17:01 PM

Date: 2/8/2010 9:09:09 PM

Isn''t that just the definition of braising?
33.gif
Putting something in a small amount of liquid and allowing it to cook for a few hours? Maybe you''re skipping the searing, but you''re not skipping the braising.
Haha, well, there you have it. No chef here. Whatever it is I cook, it''s friggin delicious. Better than a neighboring fancy french restaurant. All I do know is that it''s free of salmonella and melts in my mouth.
11.gif

ETA: Wiki to the rescue! I am now all read up on braising. So apparently the first step in braising is searing, so I guess I make a modified braised lamb?
Well, I would say that searing is usually the first step, but the braising part is really the cooking in the oven in some liquid. Braising doesn''t include the searing step, that step is just included in most recipes so I think it''s standard to sear before you braise. But in the case of lamb, I think you and whitby are doing it the best way - without the sear.

Braising is probably my favorite cooking method (even though I don''t do it all the time). You can turn the saddest piece of meat into wonderful tender juiciness with a sauce to go along with it. You just need to have 3-5 hours to sit around and wait for it (or have a slow cooker). My favorite braised meat is either pork shoulder (turned into pulled pork) or spare ribs.
18.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leftover Superbowl apps; spinach dip and crusty bread, chili, and mini "corndogs".

I am immediately regretting freezing my lemongrass pork meatballs in sweet chili and sesame sauce. I should have made some sort of thai-ish noodle dish with them.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 9:33:14 PM

Well, I would say that searing is usually the first step, but the braising part is really the cooking in the oven in some liquid. Braising doesn''t include the searing step, that step is just included in most recipes so I think it''s standard to sear before you braise. But in the case of lamb, I think you and whitby are doing it the best way - without the sear.

Braising is probably my favorite cooking method (even though I don''t do it all the time). You can turn the saddest piece of meat into wonderful tender juiciness with a sauce to go along with it. You just need to have 3-5 hours to sit around and wait for it (or have a slow cooker). My favorite braised meat is either pork shoulder (turned into pulled pork) or spare ribs.
18.gif
Ah, I getcha. I learn something new everyday! I''ve always wanted to try making pulled pork. Hubby is so-so on pulled pork, but he recently tried something a friend of mine made and enjoyed it. Do you have a recipe I can steal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results