shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 9:41:01 PM
Author: kama_s

Date: 2/8/2010 9:33:14 PM
Author: elrohwen

Well, I would say that searing is usually the first step, but the braising part is really the cooking in the oven in some liquid. Braising doesn't include the searing step, that step is just included in most recipes so I think it's standard to sear before you braise. But in the case of lamb, I think you and whitby are doing it the best way - without the sear.

Braising is probably my favorite cooking method (even though I don't do it all the time). You can turn the saddest piece of meat into wonderful tender juiciness with a sauce to go along with it. You just need to have 3-5 hours to sit around and wait for it (or have a slow cooker). My favorite braised meat is either pork shoulder (turned into pulled pork) or spare ribs.
18.gif
Ah, I getcha. I learn something new everyday! I've always wanted to try making pulled pork. Hubby is so-so on pulled pork, but he recently tried something a friend of mine made and enjoyed it. Do you have a recipe I can steal?
Do it! I absolutely love braised pork and "fake" carnitas.

I use a variation on Dave Lieberman's recipe, except that instead of cooking at 500 degrees for 45 minutes (YIKES) I heat the oven to full whack, and as soon as I put the pork in the oven, I turn the oven down.

If you end up doing it according to this recipe, you'll end up roasting the meat for 45 minutes, and then braising it for the rest of the time - it makes no sense.

Turning the temp down to 325 immediately after putting it in the oven is plenty of time to brown up the crust a bit and yields delicious results.

Ingredients:

For the dry rub:

• 2 tablespoons salt
  • About 40 grinds black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground mustard seed
  • 12 ounces good ale or dark beer, such as Bass
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 5-pound pork butt (shoulder of the animal)
Directions

Combine rub ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Rub all over pork butt. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour and as long as overnight.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Unwrap pork and place in a roasting pan with sides about 2 inches high. {Cook 45 minutes until dark browned and even blackening in places. Remove from oven. - skip all of this} Lower oven to 325 degrees F. Cook for about 25 minutes to get a nice golden crust. Pour beer over the top and add chopped garlic around the pork. Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil or twice with regular foil. Poke about 10 holes all over the top of the foil. Cook pork butt 2 1/2 hours longer until so tender that it comes away very easily from center bone.

Place the meat on a plate and pour the pan juice (there will be plenty) into a saucepan. To the pan juices add:

1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
1/3 cup dark brown sugar

Bring to a simmer until reduced by half and thick, about 20 minutes.

While the sauce is boiling down, pull apart the pork with 2 forks. Pour the sauce over the pulled pork and work through until fully absorbed.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the recipe, Lauren. I''m going to try it next week, but probably would skip the W sauce and pair it with some fresh Ace bakery panini bread.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 10:08:14 PM
Thanks for the recipe, Lauren. I''m going to try it next week, but probably would skip the W sauce and pair it with some fresh Ace bakery panini bread.
I agree Kama. That rub works for a lot of variations of slow-braised pork. But the sauce isn''t my favourite.

I love making this pork, caramelizing some red onions, queso fresco, some fresh guac, corn tortillas, and making awesome tacos.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 10:15:07 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Date: 2/8/2010 10:08:14 PM
I agree Kama. That rub works for a lot of variations of slow-braised pork. But the sauce isn''t my favourite.

I love making this pork, caramelizing some red onions, queso fresco, some fresh guac, corn tortillas, and making awesome tacos.
Oh, and if you have too much leftover pork, I like making a Mexican Pork Lasagna.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Go for Lauren''s recipe! Mine is more or less putting a rub on (usually some out of a bottle), searing the thing a bit, putting the cover on the dutch oven, and cooking until the internal temp is 155. I can''t remember what temp I set the oven to ... So basically Lauren''s recipe is probably much better
3.gif
I just kind of make it up.

One of our friends has a smoker (it was his birthday present) and he said he made the best pork shoulder in the world on it. Judging by his smoked turkey we had for Thanksgiving, I bet it''s amazing. Hopefully I''ll get to try it some day.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, the beau isn''t a big fan of Mexican food. To be honest though, we have very very very few Mexican restaurants here to begin with, so there isn''t much exposure besides your regular burritos and tacos.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight is Linguine with Homemade Marinara and Asparagus roasted with fresh garlic and EVOO.

Earlier today, I also made a simple single layer vanilla cake (from scratch, the only way IMO) with a frosty lemon glaze.

I'm very productive at home when the office is closed.
12.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bowtie pasta with home-made vodka rose sauce with turkey sausages and a huge mixed green salad with mandarins and toasted walnuts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results