shape
carat
color
clarity

What Interests do you have outside of jewlery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
This stems from a different thread I have going..and I am just curious as to what interests PS members have (other than collecting jewelry, drooling over sparklies..lol)
Are you a great cook (I'm great at ordering take out), do you love to dance...sing..read books, travel the world?
I'm not asking what you do for a living..but what you LIKE to do when you aren't working for a living, or raising children, or have to do!! This is something you have a passion for, and LOVE to do for fun, or because it makes you feel good!
This is what I said to one member about my "special talents" or interests!

Date: 7/16/2008 10:10:14 PM
Author: Futuremrss
GIRL WHAT THE HECK?
Mom of the year...
Psychologist...
Make up artist...
NOW PHOTOGRAPHER????
GIRL I swear you got the talents!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beau replied:

I don't know about "mom of the year"...I DO have a Psychology degree...but NOT a psychologist!
I am a certified Image consultant, (tell people what colors/styles look best on them, based on their body type, skin tones..etc)
Makeup application and photography fit into the "arts" category, which is what I have a knack for them I guess!
I am also told by friends that I should have been an interior designer (again "artsy"), because I LOVE designing rooms in my own home, and have taken alot of pics of my home!! (Before and after's) LOL
So, basically anything that is related to art comes naturally...
I can never find GREAT artwork for my walls, so I have created my own art work on canvas, that I KNOW will compliment the theme of the room!

Anyway...I'm sure there are a TON of multi-talented ladies on board, who have other interests outside of jewelry? Maybe I should start a new thread??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to add, that I LOVE working out (running, cycling, weight lifting), I don't do it because I have to, but because I LOVE the high I get from it! I enjoy downhill skiing (we get lots of snow here), and being involved in Children's hockey (help manage a team of 10 yr. olds). I hate shopping, unless it's for the home, and I love to go out for the day, looking for unique items that jump out at me, (vase, statue, floral arrangement, candles, accent table)that I can add to a newly remodelled room in my home. I get bored easily, so re-painting an entire room and buying new furniture, adding new accent pieces is something I love to do, to change it up, and keep the room looking up to date! (Love watching TV shows like "Flip this house" or remodelling type shows)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no other interests.
2.gif

I LOVE animals. I volunteer at a humane society when I have time between school and work. I love to play sports and I play on my firm''s softball team. I like to bake, but I''m terrible at it, and rarely have time for it.

Come to think of it, full time work and full time school has made me a very UNINTERESTING person.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 8:49:56 AM
Author: elledizzy5
2.gif

I LOVE animals. I volunteer at a humane society when I have time between school and work. I love to play sports and I play on my firm's softball team. I like to bake, but I'm terrible at it, and rarely have time for it.

Come to think of it, full time work and full time school has made me a very UNINTERESTING person.
That's the thing..women get so consumed with work, being a mom, a wife, I see friends who have recently separated from their husbands, and are just NOW realizing what they do like, and what they haven't had time to do, or experience.They kind of lost their identity along the way. They have re-discovered themselves again, and are doing the things that make them happy now. It is SO important to take time for yourself..not always work (and school). It's great if you can turn your interest (animals) into a career..getting paid to do what you LOVE is a plus, and can be soooooo rewarding.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I am a girly girl. I love shopping (online) and reading (fashion magazines). I use to love reading novels but I just don''t have the time now and my live is pretty stressful (I have two young boys and my own career) so in my free time I like to do things that are not so deep. And now I am very into purses, chanels to be exact!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an animal lover, and my pets consume most of my free time! We have three dogs (a black lab/pit bull mix, a black lab/who knows what else mix, and a purebred Great Dane), various fish (two freshwater tanks and a saltwater tank), and a horse (he''s a Thoroughbred ex-racehorse). Of course, being a horse owner, a lot of my free time is spent at the barn. I love to ride, and I also teach riding lessons part-time, in addition to my full-time job as a paralegal. I really enjoy teaching, and it helps pay my monthly board bill!
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 9:01:48 AM
Author: beau13

Date: 7/17/2008 8:49:56 AM
Author: elledizzy5
2.gif

I LOVE animals. I volunteer at a humane society when I have time between school and work. I love to play sports and I play on my firm''s softball team. I like to bake, but I''m terrible at it, and rarely have time for it.

That''s the thing..women get so consumed with work, being a mom, a wife, I see friends who have recently separated from their husbands, and are just NOW realizing what they do like, and what they haven''t had time to do, or experience.They kind of lost their identity along the way. They have re-discovered themselves again, and are doing the things that make them happy now. It is SO important to take time for yourself..not always work (and school). It''s great if you can turn your interest (animals) into a career..getting paid to do what you LOVE is a plus, and can be soooooo rewarding.
Amen! Once I finish my bachelor''s in April, I plan on getting my MBA in non-profit management so that I can work at a non-profit animal shelter. I''m too emotionally attached to animals to ever be a Vet (I''d cry every time I lost one), so I figured if I can work the corporate aspect of it and try and do what I can to save animals, that''d be my next best bet.

I have to make a difference with my career, or I''ll be miserable.

And yes, I do need to take care of myself sometimes, and get some hobbies back!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

My interests:

Reading…I know that’s a weird interest but I actually get excited thinking about going to the public library (yes I go to the library in MIAMI LOL) and grabbing a new book to read.

Music and dancing…my house is never without music playing (it helps to have a musician boyfriend) and I love dancing.

Pictures but not in the photography sense…I just love capturing everything on film. I’m not a creative person at all so I don’t take very artistic photos but I still love taking pictures.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love dance, all styles. I've been in stage shows and am part of a competitive calisthenics team. I adore the performing arts in general, and really, really wish I could sing
9.gif
Music is also one of the greatest things in the world to me!!

I luuuurve to bake, when I've got time. I also adore shopping and love love love animals. My goal as a school student was to be a vet... until I did work experience and realised that caring for people - not animals - was my lot in life!! Plus I couldn't cope with the cruelty cases I saw, and I still couldn't now!

And as nerdy as this sounds, I love to learn, particularly anything in the medical field. If I encounter something new I research it to death!!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
NICE WORK Delster!!
LOVE
the colors in that very nice shawl(wrap) you knit!!
I tried to learn to knit a couple times, didn''t turn out so well. Do you knit for yourself, and faimly/friends, or do you sell any of your beautiful handknit goods? (MY favourite baby gifts were the cute hats, booties, and sweaters that were handknit with great detail, and took many hours to complete I''m sure!)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think there was another thread similar to this a few months ago, but I can''t find it.

I rock climb. D and I used to go every night after work, but he''s nursing a knee injury and we only go 2 - 3 times per week. We also golf nearly every weekend, which I love. I take horseback riding lessons and love it. I''m also taking a photography class right now, which is really fun. I''m learning a ton.

I''m signing up for salsa dancing lessons this fall. I did ballet and jazz through college, but haven''t been in a class in forever. Salsa should be fun. What else? I''m involved in my local newfoundland club, which has been busy this summer. Other than that, just lots of hiking. We spend most of the weekend in the mountains, then try to get back in time to get in a round of golf on Sundays. I always have tiime to run in and check PS, though :)

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
I love my flower garden and probably as much as I love sparklies. It has been neglected this year (boo-hoo) due to my school schedule (reading, clinical hours, homework, etc.) but I plan to get back on track next year since I will graduate
36.gif
!!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 10:21:25 AM
NICE WORK Delster!!
LOVE
I tried to learn to knit a couple times, didn''t turn out so well. Do you knit for yourself, and faimly/friends, or do you sell any of your beautiful handknit goods? (MY favourite baby gifts were the cute hats, booties, and sweaters that were handknit with great detail, and took many hours to complete I''m sure!)
Thank you beau! I knit for many victims, and entirely gratis. I do it for the love of it. I''d have to charge exorbitant amounts for the work if I sold it as the yarns I use are expensive and then most pieces take me around a month to knit so it''s a lot of labour. And I only knit off patterns, so I doubt people would be interested in buying something they could just make themselves. I''m not skilled enough just yet to design my own garments!

I love the crafty thread, there are so many beautiful things in there! We have some very talented craftsters here on PS!
9.gif
36.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m a big photography junkie, so I spend a lot of time looking at it on flickr and taking my own pictures. I am always looking for fun new tricks to try with lighting and color. I''m also in the process of trying to find a "model" to sit for portraits for me so I can learn that.

I read a lot, both online stories and real books. I love the Anita Blake series, it''s my favorite. Other than that, I don''t do much...I spend far too much time on the computer.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hum....

traveling
knitting
blogging
designing stationery

i know i design for a living, but i LOVE working on stationery and the chances to do so are few and far between.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
imported Japanese koi
Swarovski crystals
rare U.S. coins
American muscle cars

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 11:48:26 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
imported Japanese koi
Swarovski crystals
rare U.S. coins
American muscle cars
my step father was vp of sales and marketing for swarovski... my little brother once took the ginormous Swarovski turtle out for a walk. i thought that my mother would have a heart attack... we would go to the showroom in NYC and could pick anything we wanted from the walls of sparkly wonderfulness...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
College Football
cats
College Football
musical theatre
travel
College Football
piano
College Basketball
NFL
College Football

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 11:24:50 AM
Author: Delster

Date: 7/17/2008 10:21:25 AM
NICE WORK Delster!!
LOVE
Thank you beau! I knit for many victims, and entirely gratis. I do it for the love of it. I''d have to charge exorbitant amounts for the work if I sold it as the yarns I use are expensive and then most pieces take me around a month to knit so it''s a lot of labour. And I only knit off patterns, so I doubt people would be interested in buying something they could just make themselves. I''m not skilled enough just yet to design my own garments!

I love the crafty thread, there are so many beautiful things in there! We have some very talented craftsters here on PS!
9.gif
36.gif
Crafty thread? I must be missing something?? Please ...DO share!! Thanks

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Sports - Sports Medicine was my undergraduate major so I was at every practice, game, travelled with the teams, etc., so collegiate sports mean so much to me and being on the sidelines was so much fun!

Fashion - I love seeing what people are wearing and helping my friends pick out outfits to wear to different events. I also like helping brides find various pieces of their wedding ensemble on the BWW board.

World events - I know that sounds kind of like something everyone's into but I like reading about obscure news stories from around the world...the ones that don't get on CNN Headline News.

Travel - my goal is to travel to every continent by the time I'm 50. My favorite places to go are, of course, in SE Asia. I am also addicted to the Travel Channel because I can live vicariously through the hosts until I graduate and can travel more myself.

Cooking - I am no chef, but I love cooking and baking, even if I don't like to eat what I'm cooking or baking. I have zero sweet tooth but love baking cakes for my family and SO.

Ebay/online shopping - I love finding bargains and deals and hard-to-find items late at night before bedtime!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2008 11:59:21 AM
Author: LAJennifer
College Football
cats
College Football
musical theatre
travel
College Football
piano
College Basketball
NFL
College Football
sooo...W. Virginia is gonna win the national championship this yr?
9.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 12:21:00 PM

College Football
cats
College Football
musical theatre
travel
College Football
piano
College Basketball
NFL
College Football
9.gif
You know it! They''re definitely a contender - with Pat White, Noel Devine and the entire Offensive Line returning. Defense "should" be solid, but I do have some concerns. Do you have a favorite team?

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 12:24:50 PM

College Football
cats
College Football
musical theatre
travel
College Football
piano
College Basketball
NFL
College Football
9.gif
You know it! They're definitely a contender - with Pat White, Noel Devine and the entire Offensive Line returning. Defense 'should' be solid, but I do have some concerns. Do you have a favorite team?
Don't mean to threadjack but I have two college buddies who are athletic trainers for WV right now - one works with football too!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 1:13:42 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

Date: 7/17/2008 12:24:50 PM

College Football
cats
College Football
musical theatre
travel
College Football
piano
College Basketball
NFL
College Football
9.gif
You know it! They're definitely a contender - with Pat White, Noel Devine and the entire Offensive Line returning. Defense 'should' be solid, but I do have some concerns. Do you have a favorite team?
Don't mean to threadjack but I have two college buddies who are athletic trainers for WV right now - one works with football too!
Indy - you must tell me, have they given you any inside scoop? What do they think of the new coaching staff? I see where you studied sports med - are you currently working in the field?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Golf is more of a passion than an interest.
I love going to sporting events. Go COWBOYS!!
I love being with my family.
Vacations and last minute getaways.

I GOOGLE everything, and I''m really good at it!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 11:48:26 AM
imported Japanese koi

Swarovski crystals

rare U.S. coins

American muscle cars

You and my DH both DF. He loves muscle cars. He had a 1957 Chevy that he re-built. Custom paint and all. It was gorgeous. He sold it a few years ago, now he regrets it.
39.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 1:17:09 PM

Indy - you must tell me, have they given you any inside scoop? What do they think of the new coaching staff? I see where you studied sports med - are you currently working in the field?
I actually went to law school after I graduated! Crazy career change but I plan on working in the health law or sports law field so hopefully those long hours in the training room paid off. Several of my friends work for D1 colleges as ATs and a few work with the professional leagues as well. It is much more difficult for a female to get a well-paid AT job because of the gender discrimination that occurs at the upper levels (mostly because of fears of sexual harassment claims). Anyway, one of my friends works with the WV football team and the other with the baseball/track/xc teams, both went to undergrad with me though. The one who works with football has told me that he likes the university but not necessarily living in WV...he said some pretty shady stuff was going on with the old coach and the new one is better. He loved the Fiesta Bowl, though...I really miss getting paid to go to football games!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 1:28:10 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

Date: 7/17/2008 1:17:09 PM

I actually went to law school after I graduated! Crazy career change but I plan on working in the health law or sports law field so hopefully those long hours in the training room paid off. Several of my friends work for D1 colleges as ATs and a few work with the professional leagues as well. It is much more difficult for a female to get a well-paid AT job because of the gender discrimination that occurs at the upper levels (mostly because of fears of sexual harassment claims). Anyway, one of my friends works with the WV football team and the other with the baseball/track/xc teams, both went to undergrad with me though. The one who works with football has told me that he likes the university but not necessarily living in WV...he said some pretty shady stuff was going on with the old coach and the new one is better. He loved the Fiesta Bowl, though...I really miss getting paid to go to football games!
Yep, there are no words to describe how I feel about the old coach (without getting banned, that it). WV would have had the National Title last year if the former coach hadn''t put his own self interests first. He is Michigan''s problem now. The interim coach kicked butt in the Fiesta bowl and was named the new Head Coach - much deserved - as he healed the hearts of West Virginians everywhere - I know that sounds dramatic, but it is true. Tears well up in my eyes as I type this. Last December was probably one of the worst months of my life (as a Mountaineer fan). Then came January and the Fiesta Bowl (I was there). The Fiesta Bowl turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life - better than my destination wedding in Hawaii. Here is a Youtube video that chronicles the whole ordeal (a little long, but the payoff is worth it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt7kvjfbr8

I just re-read the above and yes, I realize I sound like a total nutjob.
19.gif

Sports law sounds exciting! Have you thought of maybe being a sports agent?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 1:19:07 PM
Author: meresal
Golf is more of a passion than an interest.
I love going to sporting events. Go COWBOYS!!
I love being with my family.
Vacations and last minute getaways.

I GOOGLE everything, and I''m really good at it!!!
My earliest memories of television are of Cowboys games and Roger Staubach. Also, aren''t you going to Yankee Stadium later this summer? I was there a few weeks ago (July 4) and had a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results