shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you wanted for years but still haven't gotten, for one reason or another?

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
After 14 years of the bathroom of despair, I finally ripped it all out, expanded out under the eaves and I have the gorgeous bathroom of my dreams. Complete with heated floors, soaking tub, towel warmer and more. It was worth the wait!

dianaR

Rough_Rock
After 14 years of the bathroom of despair, I finally ripped it all out, expanded out under the eaves and I have the gorgeous bathroom of my dreams. Complete with heated floors, soaking tub, towel warmer and more. It was worth the wait!

I hear you! We waited almost 9 years to rip ours out. I’m jelly that you have heated floors and a towel warmer! Must be nice during the winter, like now lol.

I'm doing it! 17 years with worn, cheap finishes in that kitchen. 17 YEARS staring at it, and cleaning that grout in the dim...seething :lol: Nobody else cares in the slightest in this house. DH is supportively ambivalent, the kids are almost grown...
Our family is very much a 'use it until it walks itself out into the woods'.
Well,(hitches britches and sniffs) I'm doing it.

Oohhhh congrats!!! It’ll be worth it in the long run! When we moved in almost 9 years ago, the kitchen was okay… the drawers always squeaked when you opened them. The rails would break or something came apart. We had a slab leak and had to gut the kitchen. We got to pick what we wanted and I’m sooo happy with the outcome. You’ll have to post pics!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pool.

I grew up with a lovely large one as a kid, and have wanted one ever since as an adult.

Of all the things I've bought or wasted money on - why haven't I put in a pool? Or at least a large, in-ground hot tub?? I think the idea of heavy digging equipment in my yard bothers me - the impact It would have on my lawn/garden and just the mess in general/. But every year I say I'm going to get one - and every year...I don't.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
A glorious *fun lights* and multi jet hot tub. We even built our deck with extra re-enforcement to hold the weight.
But so far something else comes up. I love our house but it's been a money pit. We've had to replace the roof, a/c, water heater, flooring... So -as much as we both would love a hot tub- some other costly repair will get the funds instead. We just got our tax refund and a high wind storm came through causing $x,xxx in roof damage! Aargh!! Screenshot_20230312_040425_Chrome.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new stove. Lol. My oven quit working 5 years ago. But. We don’t cook in the oven. We bbq and always did even when the oven worked. Why don’t I replace my stove?
Bc it’s pretty. Lol. They don’t make stainless steel stoves like they used to and the ones that look like mine, would cost triple what I paid. Also. I think to myself. My stove will end up wasting space in a landfill all because I want the option of having a working oven for the rare times I would use it. Sigh.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
To live in a warm, sunny climate

We almost moved to Arizona during the pandemic, but panicked about long-term job stability, and then the housing market blew up and we bought locally in the Midwest

I despise winter…

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new stove. Lol. My oven quit working 5 years ago. But. We don’t cook in the oven. We bbq and always did even when the oven worked. Why don’t I replace my stove?
Bc it’s pretty. Lol. They don’t make stainless steel stoves like they used to and the ones that look like mine, would cost triple what I paid. Also. I think to myself. My stove will end up wasting space in a landfill all because I want the option of having a working oven for the rare times I would use it. Sigh.

Can you have the oven repaired?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice 1.5+ct diamond ;(
Reason: I can never get myself to spend that kind of money on a single piece of jewelry.

A 1500 sq ft 1 floor modern condo
I stayed in one for two weeks and have for decades talked about it as my dream home. We live in a big old house. But my husband loves it and does all the work maintaining it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you have the oven
It would not be cost effective bc it would cost half the price of a new decent stove and we don’t know how much life the rest of the stove has, lol. I bought the stove to match my other appliances when I remodeled my kitchen— over 12 years ago.

dianaR

Rough_Rock

We almost moved to Arizona during the pandemic, but panicked about long-term job stability, and then the housing market blew up and we bought locally in the Midwest

I despise winter…

I do not like the cold. We get along like oil and water. I live in so cal and I still need to wear layers. Lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A pool.

I grew up with a lovely large one as a kid, and have wanted one ever since as an adult.

Of all the things I've bought or wasted money on - why haven't I put in a pool? Or at least a large, in-ground hot tub?? I think the idea of heavy digging equipment in my yard bothers me - the impact It would have on my lawn/garden and just the mess in general/. But every year I say I'm going to get one - and every year...I don't.

@mrs-b After the surgery you just had I think your doctors and surgeon would agree that you NEED to at least get a hot tub. It would be wonderful for your back. I think you should go to LA while it’s being done. Tim can oversee it while you are gone.. :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b After the surgery you just had I think your doctors and surgeon would agree that you NEED to at least get a hot tub. It would be wonderful for your back. I think you should go to LA while it’s being done. Tim can oversee it while you are gone.. :)

@MamaBee - I'd come back to my back yard all churned up and half my garden destroyed! I honestly think the reason I haven't done it is because it's more stress than it's worth. And the complex where my townhouse in Cali is, has a pool and a lovely hot tub. So I can't fully convince myself it's worth it.

The sort I'd like would be a 13' circle, in-ground, 4' deep, heated, and with swim jets. So, really, it's more like a plunge and exercise pool than a hot tub, which means the general disaster and upheaval would be similar to a pool. I just can't throw my heart over with it.

I console myself by buying jewelry. :))

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new pool heater!! I’ve been putting it off bc it’s just hubby and I, and we rarely swim. Maybe 6 times a summer. Part of me wants to tear out the pool bc it needs a major overhaul and we don’t swim. It would prob cost the same price to rehaul the pool as filling it up and landscaping, so we are on the fence. I could say I would save money on my pool guy long-term, but it would all go to a gardener. Lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A pool.

Okay..Then you need a soaking tub in the house. I had one in Missouri. This house has a jetted tub which I hate. My son uses it. Needless to say although I clean it and the jets..I’m not going in that tub. I told my friend when I buy my house in Virginia I’m getting my own bathroom with a soaking tub. She told me that because of my age I should reconsider. Apparently I’m now too old to get in and out of a deep tub without hurting myself! Haha

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I told my friend when I buy my house in Virginia I’m getting my own bathroom with a soaking tub. She told me that because of my age I should reconsider. Apparently I’m now too old to get in and out of a deep tub without hurting myself!

Good grief. Do you ever get the feeling people are trying to shuffle you off?? OF COURSE you're not too old for a soaking tub! The hide of some people!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, You wouldn’t be able to use a pool for a large chunk of the year due to the weather where you are. Our neighbors have a pool but say it gets hard seeing a pool and knowing you have 8 months out of the year you can‘t use it. I loved seeing pictures of @Austina, @junebug17, and @Tekate’s pools. My first thought was they have their own private little resort and they get to use it alot.

@MamaBee, You are not too old for a soaking tub!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, You wouldn’t be able to use a pool for a large chunk of the year due to the weather where you are. Our neighbors have a pool but say it gets hard seeing a pool and knowing you have 8 months out of the year you can‘t use it. I loved seeing pictures of @Austina, @junebug17, and @Tekate’s pools. My first thought was they have their own private little resort and they get to use it alot.

@MamaBee, You are not too old for a soaking tub!

That's why the whole thing would be heated and a cross between a pool and a hot tub - both for usage, and size-wise. We'd be able to use it 8 months of the year - or longer, if we're prepared to pay the power bill.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Okay..Then you need a soaking tub in the house. I had one in Missouri. This house has a jetted tub which I hate. My son uses it. Needless to say although I clean it and the jets..I’m not going in that tub. I told my friend when I buy my house in Virginia I’m getting my own bathroom with a soaking tub. She told me that because of my age I should reconsider. Apparently I’m now too old to get in and out of a deep tub without hurting myself! Haha

The one thing is will say about a tub is no clawfoot. We remodeled our bathroom and we have a clawfoot with hardware in the center. I stupidly let my husband pick even though I'm the practical one. The clawfoot is difficult to get out of at times and with central hardware, not at the end, you have to pull your feet up under you and push up from behind grasping the edges. It's pretty. But not practical.

A tub with a less slippery surface and hardware at the end would have been better.

There are lots of soaking tubs that would be fine, safe and you could even do small stairs with a base if you didn't want a big step in.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I despise winter…

THIS IS US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My DH has had job offers all over the "sunny" world (and I could work anywhere)....but here we stay. WHY OH WHY? :lol-2:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Built in book shelves.
Never had $$ for many years. Then married DH and didn’t want to put them in knowing we would downsize.
Now in our little 2000 sf townhouse and FINALLY doing a wall of built ins in primary bedroom! Cabinets on bottom and bookshelves above, bed in the center.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I despise winter…

Girl, me too, I feel the pain of having to endure cold winters when you are a warm weather person. Someday I hope we will move out our the Northeast region to somewhere that does not get below 60!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one thing is will say about a tub is no clawfoot. We remodeled our bathroom and we have a clawfoot with hardware in the center. I stupidly let my husband pick even though I'm the practical one. The clawfoot is difficult to get out of at times and with central hardware, not at the end, you have to pull your feet up under you and push up from behind grasping the edges. It's pretty. But not practical.

A tub with a less slippery surface and hardware at the end would have been better.

There are lots of soaking tubs that would be fine, safe and you could even do small stairs with a base if you didn't want a big step in.

Thank you @elizat I LOVE clawfoot tubs! When I clean my son’s tub I sit on the edge and swing my feet in. My back can’t take bending over the deep tub so I wear clean white socks and clean it from the inside. I think I wouldn’t have a problem getting in. It’s getting out that’s giving me pause. I’m really a klutz. I fall over my own feet all the time.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
To get our floors refinished.

We still haven’t done it because we don’t want to move out of the downstairs for it to be done.

Also, I get paralyzed by indecision from the cascading decisions that need to be made. It seems stupid to redo the floors before we redo the kitchen. We aren’t quite ready to redo the kitchen (again, the whole moving out thing).

So there we are.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get our floors refinished.

We still haven’t done it because we don’t want to move out of the downstairs for it to be done.

Also, I get paralyzed by indecision from the cascading decisions that need to be made. It seems stupid to redo the floors before we redo the kitchen. We aren’t quite ready to redo the kitchen (again, the whole moving out thing).

So there we are.

I totally get it. I want to redo the kitchen but the idea of workmen coming into the house every morning deters me.

I finally got my floors refinished a few years ago, but only because I had ice dams that leaked and a corner of the wood in the living room got damaged and needed refinishing. I have no thresholds between rooms so it mean refinishing the entire downstairs. I moved out for a week while they did it. I packed everything up, but they dealt with moving all the furniture into the garage.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I totally get it. I want to redo the kitchen but the idea of workmen coming into the house every morning deters me.

I finally got my floors refinished a few years ago, but only because I had ice dams that leaked and a corner of the wood in the living room got damaged and needed refinishing. I have no thresholds between rooms so it mean refinishing the entire downstairs. I moved out for a week while they did it. I packed everything up, but they dealt with moving all the furniture into the garage.

Ugh, yeah, that just sounds awful.

In our case we couldnt move things into the garage, as that’s our gym. I think we would end up putting it in a pod on the driveway plus upstairs. Honestly I just don’t wannnnnnnnaaaaa…….

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, yeah, that just sounds awful.

In our case we couldnt move things into the garage, as that’s our gym. I think we would end up putting it in a pod on the driveway plus upstairs. Honestly I just don’t wannnnnnnnaaaaa…….

I know. So I live with the imperfections. Everything works in the kitchen but I haven't updated it since 1990.....I think it's time....
I kind of had to do the floors because I also had ceilings that needed replacing after the ice dams, so it was one rather large project on the first floor. Staying would have been possible but moving to one of those extended stay hotels where I had what was really an apartment with a kitchen, bedroom and living room and could bring the dog, made the most sense. If were going to do my kitchen, I think I'd do the same thing for the time of the demolition and the time of the new build, just to avoid all the work men. I can make do in the finished basement in between as there is a fridge down there and I have a microwave and small countertop oven that I can use. For me, it's the disruption from the workers.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A facial and a tattoo. I’ve wanted both for years and have never done either.
I’ll eventually get the tattoo. All I want is a tiny red heart on my inner wrist. And then a butterfly on my arm and maybe a Scorpio on my other arm, oh, and I love orchids…..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results