shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you all think? (yes, I''m asking for your thoughts please)

should I purchase a bracelet or not?

• Go for it! You only live once!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don''t do it because you will only feel guilty after!

• I could care less either way. I just want to see what everyone else voted...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
So my 28th birthday is coming up in July and I've almost worked at my job for a year now. My original intention was to purchase myself something sparkly and lovely after a year or so of working at the job. A kind of a "pat on the back" for now being successful in my career. I currently have few bills to pay and I save most of the money I make. Probably 99% of it (The other 1% I spend on clothes
27.gif
)

Anyway, so tomorrow I'm going to look at a couple of diamond/platinum bracelets and am considering purchasing one. My mom thinks I should go for it (perfect timing, I wanted to do this, I have the money for it) and my boyfriend thinks I should wait until times are "better" with the economy. Yes, I could always end up losing my job as anyone can...but I can afford a bracelet now and I've never even made such a big purchase (what I think is a big purchase anyway) as this for myself. Shouldn't I at 28? And on the other hand, I don't know that things could ever get better. For all I know, things could get worse and then I'll never be able to afford something like this. You know?

So what do you all think? Should I go for it and buy myself something nice for the birthday and to celebrate my career as I originally wanted to? Or should I hold off yet? I've been toiling over this all week now because I know I'm going to look tomorrow...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Help the economy out and BUY!
31.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I voted go for it, even in a good economy you *might* lose your job or something else *might* go wrong. This obviously isn''t a spur of the moment thought to buy this bracelet it''s something you''ve been wanting so enjoy it, and post lots of pics!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will it cause arguments between your and your boyfriend if you get it?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 1:40:09 PM
Author: purselover
I voted go for it, even in a good economy you *might* lose your job or something else *might* go wrong.
THAT''S what I''m saying!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
If you have 6 months of rent and other bills saved up and are contributing to some sort of retirement fund, and you can pay in cash, do it. Otherwise I''d focus on contributing to those because, unfortunately, these *are* hard times and who knows if there is a round of layoffs coming. I mean, how much would it stink to lose your job a week after the return window ends on the bracelet and know that you didn''t have as much money saved up as you needed? But I would buy something, and any birthday money you receive can go straight into the bracelet fund.
31.gif
(Mine went to my "princesss wants a Wii fund.")

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Buy it! Buy it!!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 1:42:25 PM
Author: Maisie
Will it cause arguments between your and your boyfriend if you get it?
Good question. But we don''t share our money at the moment. He''s just so money concious all the time so of course he thinks I should hold of for a better time. Oh, and I also pointed out to him that he bought a new hdtv a few years back ago and a pretty expensive weight set for himself. lol

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I went for the ''crazy in this economy'' vote.

Hold onto your $$$. It is a long time coming if you are without.

I think I would vote differently if you were to buy something else with the money. A bracelet is lovely but not a must have IMHO.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Overall the economy may be bad right now but for you it''s a perfect time in your life--good job, no debt, few bills, lots of savings, and an event to celebrate. Go for it!

If you are looking for a tennis bracelet check out Whiteflash. Theirs are nice.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 1:43:28 PM
Author: princesss
If you have 6 months of rent and other bills saved up and are contributing to some sort of retirement fund, and you can pay in cash, do it. Otherwise I'd focus on contributing to those because, unfortunately, these *are* hard times and who knows if there is a round of layoffs coming. I mean, how much would it stink to lose your job a week after the return window ends on the bracelet and know that you didn't have as much money saved up as you needed? But I would buy something, and any birthday money you receive can go straight into the bracelet fund.
31.gif
(Mine went to my 'princesss wants a Wii fund.')
Good point. But as I stated, I save most of my money that I make. It's going towards the *get a nice house once married and travel places* fund. And to ME, this is a lot of money. Between $550-$900 plus tax. I don't know if everyone considers that a lot or not but I do. lol It's LESS than one paycheck right now. If I lose this job and get another one, it might not be affordable any longer. You know?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
That''s a heck of a lot of money to me! My Wii was a pipe dream until I got some very generous gifts from family for my birthday, so I know what you mean about going back and forth. I haven''t pulled the trigger and ordered the Wii yet because I''m a little nervous...it''s like, what if I do it and then I *need* the money? But like I said, if you''ve got all of your bases covered and can pay cash...I''d probably do it.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
All depends on how YOU feel about it. And from your posts, it sounds like you really, really want the bracelet
3.gif

Do you think you''d feel guilty afterwards, and if so, would it spoil your enjoyment of it? If the worst were to happen and you lost your job just after the return window, would you regret the purchase? If the answer to both this questions is no, then go for it. It sounds like as good a time as it will ever be.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I say get it - you work hard, and every once in a while, I think it''s important to provide oneself with little "treats." The carrot rather than the stick, you know? You sound like you''re being very fiscally responsible overall, so I say, why not, when it will make you happy and keep you driven to know that good things come to those who work their asses off?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 1:59:46 PM
Author: LilyKat
All depends on how YOU feel about it. And from your posts, it sounds like you really, really want the bracelet
3.gif

Do you think you''d feel guilty afterwards, and if so, would it spoil your enjoyment of it? If the worst were to happen and you lost your job just after the return window, would you regret the purchase? If the answer to both this questions is no, then go for it. It sounds like as good a time as it will ever be.
3.gif

I would feel guilty for a while only because I normally don''t spend ANYTHING like that amount on myself. I just save it. So it would be hard to think I spent a larger amount of money than usual. But then I''d get over it because that money would just come right back in after the next paycheck and it would be like it were never missing. Well....Kinda.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
You talk a lot about savings but we don''t really have any idea how much you have saved (not really our business either
2.gif
).

I would only buy it if I knew I had an entire years worth of living expenses in the bank, period.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, based on your answer I''ve just voted yes
36.gif

You sound just like me - I also save pretty much all of my salary even though I don''t need to. Sometimes you''ve just got to treat yourself
1.gif

By the way, are you getting it from Tiffany''s?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
edit.

Saw saved 99% after bills... changes my response.

Seriously, it is good to reward yourself in ways you can afford. Only you can determine what you can afford or not. A bracelet is not a security blanket, but it is a piece you may love and cherish for years to come...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 2:13:52 PM
Author: purrfectpear
You talk a lot about savings but we don''t really have any idea how much you have saved (not really our business either
2.gif
).

I would only buy it if I knew I had an entire years worth of living expenses in the bank, period.
Wow, that is a very stringent rule!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif
).

and I would wait until my 30th birthday, that would be a special birthday too.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You talk a lot about savings but we don't really have any idea how much you have saved (not really our business either
2.gif
).

Ditto. When I was 28 I didn't plan on losing my job either. Thought I had everything figured out, etc. Bought a lot of material things that I didn't need...guess what? Rainy days happen more often than we like to think. If $550-900 is a lot of money to you, DG, then why not buy something more affordable? $200, perhaps?

Oh, and TLH mentioned something that caught my eye as well: you feel like you need a reward/pat on the back just for keeping a job for one year? I guess I see the logic...no, I don't. I'm not trying to be disagreeable or snarky at all, but I'm thinking one would be wise to save rewards for career goals achieved, promotions, 5 year increments, etc. No?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 2:14:11 PM
Author: LilyKat
Ok, based on your answer I''ve just voted yes
36.gif

You sound just like me - I also save pretty much all of my salary even though I don''t need to. Sometimes you''ve just got to treat yourself
1.gif

By the way, are you getting it from Tiffany''s?
31.gif

I agree with you Lily! And...how''d you guess?
27.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
go for it!!
36.gif
money is made for spending.
2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 2:27:06 PM
Author: Linda W
That''s an idea! But there is plenty more jewelry in the sea that I could get at 30
3.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
When I got my first "real" job after college, I also got my first "real" Xmas bonus. I put half the money in savings, and with the other half I bought myself a .5 ct diamond solitaire pendant. That was almost 10 years ago, and I still wear that necklace almost every day. Since then, I have "retired" (I''m a SAHM) but I still feel proud when I put on that necklace, which was the first really nice thing that I ever bought myself. If you can afford it, then go for it!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 2:33:39 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

That''s an idea! But there is plenty more jewelry in the sea that I could get at 30
3.gif
and at 30 you might have a mortgage and wedding to pay for
2.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I voted that you should buy the bracelet.

You sound like you''re fiscally responsible, and if you feel like making this purchase won''t leave you in the gutter or put your future (whether it''s a few months or an entire year) at risk, then treat yourself to something nice!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 2:44:11 PM
Author: purselover

Date: 6/19/2009 2:33:39 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

3.gif
and at 30 you might have a mortgage and wedding to pay for
2.gif
Isn''t that the truth! Because I''ll probably be certainly paying for a wedding or just paid for a wedding at 30...at least that''s the general plan.

I really appreciate your good points!
2.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 2:44:40 PM
Author: sammyj
I voted that you should buy the bracelet.

You sound like you''re fiscally responsible, and if you feel like making this purchase won''t leave you in the gutter or put your future (whether it''s a few months or an entire year) at risk, then treat yourself to something nice!
Thanks sammyj! I like to think I''m fiscally responsible. BTW, the clothes that I buy are pretty much always on sale too. I hardly pay full price for clothing.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok so if I'm gutsy enough to purchase I have another question....

Which one should I get? One bezel set .08ct stone or 3 bezel set .15ctw stones? I worry that with the one stone, it will spin on my wrist a lot and you will see the clasp more than the diamond. But it's cheaper too. So that's the other thing that I can't decide on!!!
32.gif
(hehe maybe I should make a whole other poll for that question!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results