shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your "special indulgences" besides fine jewelry?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@

@mrs-b I have the Portmeirion botanical set for everyday. I don’t let my mom and David eat on them. They scrape their dishes and leave utensil marks on all the dishes. Our everyday dishes are heavy duty white fiesta wear. I eat on my Portmeirion for lunch...haha I also have two sets of Portmeirion Christmas dishes for each house...Holly and Ivy for Maryland and Botanic Garden Mistletoe for Pa. I collect old China too...I started collecting five piece vintage China place settings. Everyone had a choice which place to sit depending on the China they chose. There were different ones at each place.. I had to get a few masculine ones too. I don’t get to play anymore..because no one I know enjoys China. I have a few stacks of China dinner plates for buffets. I would have you over to play if we were close by!

Ooooohhhhh! Over the last few years, I've bought the Portmeirion Holly and Ivy set for my best girlfriend. She now has a set for 8 and it's GORGEOUS. I love that setting! I do love my Spode, tho, and I adore my 12 Days of Christmas setting. I have a few pieces of Villeroy and Boch French Garden Christmas, but that stuff is getting so hard to find and putting together a whole dinner set of somethat that's essentially earthenware for the price it would be just doesn't make sense.

And we should DEFINITELY do a china get-together! And @diamondseeker2006 should definitely join us! She's the only person here who I know is as great a lover of china as I am!

I have plain white fine bone china (wait...or is it...porcelain? I'm not sure!) for every day, but it wasn't expensive and I have abunch of it. It goes well with the St David's - which is a subsidiary brand of Royal Doulton, so i think I can seat...16 maybe? Tho in these covid times, it feels like an eternity since I had people over to dinner....

Yes, another china collector here (and sterling flatware and crystal)! The bad thing about me is that I love it and rarely use it! I will be using the Spode Christmas Tree over the holidays when all my kids are home, though. I have two Villeroy and Boch sets including French Garden, my wedding china by Minton (that I like but like other patterns better now), and I have my mother's Lenox from about 1950 that I really love. And I have a couple of casual everyday sets. I really plan to try to reduce the number of my sets. I might sell my Waterford crystal, too. I am just afraid younger people really don't want these anymore.

My sister has Portmerion Botanic Garden. My other sister has Wedgewood Runnymeade Blue that I've always loved, too. It comes in turquoise, also, and I'd probably pick that up if I ever saw anyone selling it. There are other beautiful patterns that I love, but I definitely have to get rid of something to add anything new!!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It used to be purses until I put a moratorium on that because I wound up with too many, i recently bought 2 more, but I donated two slouchy no structure ones that I hadn’t used in years because of the two new ones.

Same thing with shoes, which I stopped since I started to have leg and knee issues.

So now I guess it’s money in the bank and jewelry. But I’m also starting to limit my jewelry because I only want the amount of things I would wear/rotate regularly.

Plants? I guess plants are up now?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flying international first class. Not that we’ve done any of that this year, but hopefully next year once we’re vaccinated. It’s all part of the holiday experience, and I love going in to the Concorde lounge at Heathrow and sitting in the restaurant and having breakfast, then going to the Elemis spa for a treatment pre-flight.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flying international first class. Not that we’ve done any of that this year, but hopefully next year once we’re vaccinated. It’s all part of the holiday experience, and I love going in to the Concorde lounge at Heathrow and sitting in the restaurant and having breakfast, then going to the Elemis spa for a treatment pre-flight.

Oh, yes, I did started flying domestic first class before the pandemic. It fixes everything that is wrong with flying lol

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Do you subscribe to an online workout program? Or do you just self curate? I ask because pre-covid I belonged to a gym and went quite a bit but now I cant find the time and would really like something to do at home. Lol I also injure myself a tone running outdoors, so need someway to avoid falling back into this cycle too (this was what the gym was supposed to be for originally after several running injuries. Ofcourse now Ive paused the gym and am either running again -- not good -- or getting fat on a day to day basis :lol-2: ).

Hi @qubitasaurus ! I hear you on the frustration of trying to have an exercise plan with everything going on now.
No, I don’t do an online program. I basically have adopted all the exercises I learned when I went to PT for me knee this past year. I use bands for long sustained stretches of my legs and hips.
I had built us so much tightness from high weights at the gym in those areas that it affected my knee. The stretching I was doing in my gym day wasn’t enough.

Then I use wrap ankle weights to do a series of strengthening exercises for quads, hamstrings , abductor and abductor muscles. They are really muscle fatiguing and have resulted in a lot of strengthening.
Then I use hand weights to do all the upper body exercises.
I finish with some yoga stretches.
I was really worried about ditching the gym, but I feel as strong as ever and not nearly as much soreness.
Walking has been great too. I’ve tried running in the past, but I think it can take a toll on joints. Maybe try brisk walking, in really good shoes of course.
It takes longer than running, but has most of the same benefits.
I used to do hot yoga and would like to get back to it one day when things have gotten safer.
Good luck finding a balance that suits you!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
besides fine jewelry, i indulge in:

wrist watches: swiss made automatic movement, gold for me, steel for mr. bff

good groceries: grass fed meats and cheeses, occassionaly japanese a5 wagyu, jidori chicken, french cheeses, organic produce, wild, bio-dyanmic when available

french bordeaux and champagne and armagnac. we also enjoy good california wine and premium japanese junmai daiginjo sake

saint louis and baccarat crystal drinkware

cookware and kitchen knives: copper mauviel, le creuset, donabe, shun, bob kramer, one off custom japanese artisan crafted

attars and fragrances, mainly niche. sometimes a designer fragrance or two finds its way home to me

dita, chanel, oliver peoples, barton perreira, chloe sunglasses

hermes scarves. i prefer silk over cashmere (even high quality, can be scratchy at the neck, for me) unless it is loro piana or brunello cucinelli. i really love scarves. sometimes i miss living on the east coast where it gets cold enough to need scarves

louis vuitton, hermes, chanel, dior, handbags (more so in the past) this doesn't count as they are just remnants of a past hobby

soft furnishings, bedding, silk, linen and egyptian cotton sheeting, cases, shams, loro piana cashmere throws, eiderdown duvets, 850-900 fill european down pillows, egyptian cotton towels

"over building" home improvement projects, usually always ongoing, except this year

scented candles, the usual suspects: cire trudon, diptyque, jo malone, l'artisan parfumeur, rigaud, tom ford, francis kurkdjian, creed, frederic malle, byredo, aesop, aqua di parma, formasetti. i love it all, i don't discriminate. if the manufacturer makes a large multi 4-5 wick, chances are i have it or have had it

oud wood to burn

stationary: smythson, crane 100% cotton (i like and believe in writing notes and letters)

plants: trees and climbing roses, climbing jasmine and stephanotis for my garden

occasionally antique pieces usually wood furniture or case goods

high kpsi artisan persian rugs

lighting: full lead crystal and ikari

dining out (none this year ... )

health and well being appointments: usually weekly acupuncture and massage appointments (none since february, when i first got wind of the virus in an international paper)

travel: first class international and domestic travel, isn't so bad (none this year ... )

twice annual donations to kitten rescue los angeles and catmandoo rescue

lumber, so much lumber: ipe stored in the garage

fire arms (more so mr. bff's indulgence)

***sadly and strangely, the only indulgence i used to feel guilty about was jewelry. i suppose, i saw it as the least functional and non-practical of the indulges***

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

good groceries: grass fed meats and cheeses, occassionaly japanese a5 wagyu, jidori chicken, french cheeses, organic produce, wild, bio-dyanmic when available

french bordeaux and champagne and armagnac. we also enjoy good california wine and premium japanese junmai daiginjo sake

saint louis and baccarat crystal drinkware

cookware and kitchen knives: copper mauviel, le creuset, donabe, shun, bob kramer, one off custom japanese artisan crafted

attars and fragrances, mainly niche. sometimes a designer fragrance or two finds its way home to me

dita, chanel, oliver peoples, barton perreira, chloe sunglasses

hermes scarves. i prefer silk over cashmere (even high quality, can be scratchy at the neck, for me) unless it is loro piana or brunello cucinelli. i really love scarves. sometimes i miss living on the east coast where it gets cold enough to need scarves

louis vuitton, hermes, chanel, dior, handbags (more so in the past) this doesn't count as they are just remnants of a past hobby

soft furnishings, bedding, silk, linen and egyptian cotton sheeting, cases, shams, loro piana cashmere throws, eiderdown duvets, 850-900 fill european down pillows, egyptian cotton towels

"over building" home improvement projects, usually always ongoing, except this year

scented candles, the usual suspects: cire trudon, diptyque, jo malone, l'artisan parfumeur, rigaud, tom ford, francis kurkdjian, creed, frederic malle, byredo, aesop, aqua di parma, formasetti. i love it all, i don't discriminate. if the manufacturer makes a large multi 4-5 wick, chances are i have it or have had it

oud wood to burn

stationary: smythson, crane 100% cotton (i like and believe in writing notes and letters)

plants: trees and climbing roses, climbing jasmine and stephanotis for my garden

occasionally antique pieces usually wood furniture or case goods

high kpsi artisan persian rugs

lighting: full lead crystal and ikari

dining out (none this year ... )

health and well being appointments: usually weekly acupuncture and massage appointments (none since february, when i first got wind of the virus in an international paper)

travel: first class international and domestic travel, isn't so bad (none this year ... )

twice annual donations to kitten rescue los angeles and catmandoo rescue

lumber, so much lumber: ipe stored in the garage

fire arms (more so mr. bff's indulgence)

***sadly and strangely, the only indulgence i used to feel guilty about was jewelry. i suppose, i saw it as the least functional and non-practical of the indulges***

You know how to live!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I do love quality knives and cookware! Should have mentioned that before. I cook and bake a ton and was happy to invest in quality kitchen items!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm curious as I love my Tissot, but am looking for a more casual automatic. Any brands that you would recommend that have a smaller bezel? I'm looking for the 28-30mm range :D The only one that I love I can't find in the US: It's an orient. I'd go Rolex, but the bank just laughs at that idea :lol:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I'm curious as I love my Tissot, but am looking for a more casual automatic. Any brands that you would recommend that have a smaller bezel? I'm looking for the 28-30mm range :D The only one that I love I can't find in the US: It's an orient. I'd go Rolex, but the bank just laughs at that idea :lol:

mr. bff and i mainly wear rolex. we have the most first hand personal experience with the all gold daytona and all steel gmt ii professional models, followed by a small all gold ladies datejust from my granny. i understand that swiss made automatic movements preferably cosc (official suisse des chronometre) certified is best for quality and accuracy

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lotions & potions for my skin, fancy perfume (wear perfume every single day), Mulberry handbags, Levi's & Le Creuset cookware. My pots & pans are cast iron, but everything else, from the olive oil jug to the bake ware to salt & pepper grinders to ramekins to coffee pots & mugs, are all in Volcano. My kitchen is black & white, with a slate grey floor & battleship grey walls. I have a thing for the bright orange against the dark!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
My special indulgences are travel related. We love to collect all kinds of artwork on our travels. I have one room with many of my treasures and it is my favorite. All the various art pieces like paintings, pottery, wood carvings etc remind me of our wonderful trips. The minute I step in the room I relax.
My other special indulgence is shell collecting. I love to collect when traveling. While I always remind DH they are free treasures, the cost of the trips not so much!
Can’t wait to be able to travel again or at least begin the planning process. Hopefully soon.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really indulgence in much (I am tightwad with money, hubby says I squeak when I walk lol), I do like a nice purse but they are cheaper designer purse's lol..I have a couple of Michael Kors and one small coach and I do like a nice ride...I have a Lexus RX350 that I bought in April, but other than that I wear Walmat and dollar stores sweats most of the time..lol, clothes ehhh I work from home I dont need good stuff..

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing. Isn’t that sad? I used to collect a dessert plate, cup/saucer every time DH and I traveled, but kids kinda put a stop to that. I had planned to use them as a cool conversation piece at dinner parties, but I only have 6, so unless it’s a small party, I don’t have enough, lol. I do knit, but don’t collect more than one project at a time, because I don’t have time to knit these days. I’m pretty darn frugal when I stop to think about it. I love books, but tend to shop at Goodwill or the library...I think I need an expensive hobby! :lol:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm a Rolex person, but if Rolex isn't in the cards, I'd look at Seiko.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
My special indulgences are travel related. We love to collect all kinds of artwork on our travels. I have one room with many of my treasures and it is my favorite. All the various art pieces like paintings, pottery, wood carvings etc remind me of our wonderful trips. The minute I step in the room I relax.
My other special indulgence is shell collecting. I love to collect when traveling. While I always remind DH they are free treasures, the cost of the trips not so much!
Can’t wait to be able to travel again or at least begin the planning process. Hopefully soon.

That sounds like a wonderful room full of treasures & memories!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have been eating a lot of sushi since the pandemic (all carry-out of course, no indoor dining for me!). It is an indulgence for sure because sushi is expensive. I justify it that I am supporting a small family business and I make healthy choices in what I order! I have been going to this same place for 15 years and I really hope they make it through the pandemic (indoor dining is banned where I live).

Reactions: BMI

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a lot of designer bags, scarves and shoes, and nowadays I like to wear cashmere sweaters and silk underwear.
I also really like to drink Champagne, my favorite one is Moët Chandon and Laurent Perrier.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travelling and picking up something special from each trip. I typically take 4-5 trips to Europe every year but those trips were all cancelled this year. When travelling, I buy pottery and art generally, and most of it is in one room of the house that I love because it every time I walk into it, I'm reminds me of my travels.
Also like good food so order locally farmed meats
Good French or Italian wine.
I used to collect mid-century pottery but got tired of that and sold a lot of it.
I used to buy a lot of designer (Balenciaga) handbags but don't use them much now so don't buy any more; same goes for designer shoes. Working from home makes those things less interesting so now it's cashmere "sweat" pants!
linen sheets for my beds.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mostly indulge in quilting things, most especially rulers for my longarm, and quilting kits from Primitive Gatherings-which includes all the fabric and wool.

I have a few Louis Vuitton bags

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm I do love perfume and probably own about a dozen decent bottles and some Tom Ford makeup too which is pricey! I don’t really indulge in much else, maybe coffee...I own a Nespresso machine. I don’t spend a lot on much else, just save for jewellery and the occasional massage/facial.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
My three current indulgences:

1) books! I will read every day.
2) video games
3) Japanese food. I will buy Uni, just because I can.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect mine would be coffee and taxis. The former is more of an addiction, I should do something about. The latter as we are too busy and tired to take public transport. We used to travel a lot too, I dont know if that counts as my costs were always paid by work. But I used to take a parent along to babysit or hire a babysitter, both of which got costly -- my daughter loved it though, she used to have a plane dance that she did going down the concourse. On that note I recently went to staycation (singaporean slang for stay in a hotel in your home city for fun) and the whole staff of this very large intercontinental seemed to know my name within an hour (well they knew my husband's and kept calling me mrs husband which was really jaring). I couldnt work it out until I asked my hisband what that fancy spire elite membership he had was -- yeah turns out we must have been spending 60-100k a year on hotels precovid. I promptly stoped asking questions. I think this is his hobby not mine though.... although I could be wrong.

Ohh acrually I dont know if it is an expensive hobby, but I wouldnt survive without my maid. This would probably be number one for me. She litterally saves my sanity.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Cakes and ice creams... am fairly particular about the quality of the desserts since it’s an indulgence but the good ones aren’t cheap.

Eating out at restaurants. It all adds up when you eat out every weekend and I spend thousands a year eating out.

We used to travel a lot too, I dont know if that counts as my costs were always paid by work.

I used to do a lot of business travel too and it has killed economy class travel for me. When you get used to business class in Singapore Airlines, Qatar, Emirates, etc... so flying economy even on a decent airline (don’t even talk about budget airlines) on anything longer than 6 hours is torture...

And yes 5 star hotels when I travel. I make an exception for serviced apartments and really well located 4 star hotels when I travel but otherwise really pricy accommodations so that I enjoy the bed/ bathroom/ breakfast/ toiletries/ etc.

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
Same! I keep all our gems and jewelry in a Tupperware tub. I can't wait 'til it's so full that it doesn't make any noise when I shake it!

No I don't. Is vintage Tupperware really your indulgence? I didn't know that was a thing. OK Le Creuset I kinda get. :cool2:

Actually: Little bit of wine. Good meals and ingredients. Good tires. Icebreaker.

Edit: ooh cameras -- but only ~ every five years or so.

Edit #2: oh and amazing dark chocolate

Vintage Tupperware collecting is absolutely a thing. Not my thing, but definitely a thing.

Last edited:

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
  • Skincare (kiels, dr haushka)
  • Food. I'm a food & beverage snob. Ooh especially Japanese whiskey
  • Eyeglasses - I get tension headaches from glasses, so I found the lightest, comfiest glasses brand - naturally I want 5+ pairs to mix it up! I am lusting after these at the moment in Lilac...
1608055639242.png
  • My biggest love, is lace up boots & leather goods. Especially American made boots. I got into men's shoes because I am so tall, I couldn't find women's shoes my size. These are my regulars - my Red Wings and my Wolverines. My bespoke Wescos aren't picured

IMG-4760.jpg

Awesome. I'm not a big shoe collector, but I do love boots and have about 15 pairs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results