shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your "special indulgences" besides fine jewelry?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh that's right - glasses. I have a weakness for eyeglasses too!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
  • Skincare (kiels, dr haushka)
  • Food. I'm a food & beverage snob. Ooh especially Japanese whiskey
  • Eyeglasses - I get tension headaches from glasses, so I found the lightest, comfiest glasses brand - naturally I want 5+ pairs to mix it up! I am lusting after these at the moment in Lilac...
1608055639242.png
  • My biggest love, is lace up boots & leather goods. Especially American made boots. I got into men's shoes because I am so tall, I couldn't find women's shoes my size. These are my regulars - my Red Wings and my Wolverines. My bespoke Wescos aren't picured

IMG-4760.jpg

those glasses..

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are so pretty! Do you use them?

Thank you! Yes, I use them all the time. I do realize some of them are probably a hundred years old at this point (I've got a few that are even older, but they are clear so they're not on this table display) and I would be sad if one got broken, but fortunately I have multiples of many of them. My philosophy is that stuff is meant to be used and enjoyed!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I KNOW - I want them SO badly!!!! :lol-2:

Do I buy those, or a Cartier trinity ring? HAH! Only a dilemma a PSer would unders

I KNOW - I want them SO badly!!!! :lol-2:

Do I buy those, or a Cartier trinity ring? HAH! Only a dilemma a PSer would understand!

Omg..I bought four pair this year! every time I pick up new glasses or get an adjustment, I find another pair I like... 20201215_135853.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Omg..I bought four pair this year! every time I pick up new glasses or get an adjustment, I find another pair I like... 20201215_135853.jpg

I already bought 3 this year, I am right there with you!!! I don't even want to tally up how much i've spent... :lol:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
How wonderful! N+1.. we should make that a jewelry thing.. hehehehe..I love to mountain bike but don't do it enough. My bike shop said I would love a Levo! I have a specialized sworks epic (mtb.. but you probably knew that!) which is , a carbon fatboy, a diverge (gravel bike) and I have another road bike, a Ruby which is basically tricked out like my tarmac! I am addicted to electronic shifting, and have that on my gravel bike, as well as my tarmac. My hubs is finance only, only.. lol..) but I am an amazing bike shop, thankfully. I always wish I could ride out my door and get to some trails.. so lazy.. I choose my Tarmac most days because I can ride from home and since I don't work, I ride during the day and it's challenging to find someone to mtb with. I recently met a women who is my age who is an awesome rider and climber and am hoping we will get to ride together next year.

Haha! Yes, N+1, for sure, for sparklies! LOL! My hubs says it's more like D-1: one less than what would cause a d.i.v.o.r.c.e. LOL!

You have a great stable of bikes, too @siamese3 We have some trails in a greenbelt area that's about a 2-minute ride from the house, with lots of hills, some double-track and single-track. In another direction, about 5 minutes' ride from the house, there's more trails. My fave though, is about a 10-minute drives to many kilometres of trails, some w/ double track, but all my faves are excellent single track. There's a new trail that's got some technical thwack to it that's super fun to ride!

If hubs or anyone else isn't available to ride, I go for a blast on my own. Heh. Gotta get out there! You're lucky to have a (potential) climbing buddy. That and sailboarding were my two main kryptonites when I lived out west. LOL!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Haha! Yes, N+1, for sure, for sparklies! LOL! My hubs says it's more like D-1: one less than what would cause a d.i.v.o.r.c.e. LOL!

You have a great stable of bikes, too @siamese3 We have some trails in a greenbelt area that's about a 2-minute ride from the house, with lots of hills, some double-track and single-track. In another direction, about 5 minutes' ride from the house, there's more trails. My fave though, is about a 10-minute drives to many kilometres of trails, some w/ double track, but all my faves are excellent single track. There's a new trail that's got some technical thwack to it that's super fun to ride!

If hubs or anyone else isn't available to ride, I go for a blast on my own. Heh. Gotta get out there! You're lucky to have a (potential) climbing buddy. That and sailboarding were my two main kryptonites when I lived out west. LOL!
Wow!! So great you have access to so many trails... think I will ride more mtb this coming year as I have a good friend who is attempting marji gesick this year..so she really needs to get some miles in. I absolutely love being in the woods and brought my fat bike to vermont the fall I got it and next thing you know.. I was shopping for a mtb. I will admit that while my road bike relaxes me (except for worrying about distracted drivers!) mountain biking can stress me out. I accidentally climbed some crazy mostly hiking path because I am a moron and was in the woods by myself just trying to avoid black diamond trails.. it was kind of crazy.. I hate descending, but love the climb so the whole time going up I just keep thinking I have to come back down.. that day, after descending, I had to peel my claw gripped hands off the bars..

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock

Also.. I love the D-1 thing.. hehe.. my hubs likes buying me bikes way more than diamonds! I think he feels that I get more enjoyment and benefit from them.. sometimes I do daydream about the ring I could of had for all those bikes.. YIKES!!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I already bought 3 this year, I am right there with you!!! I don't even want to tally up how much i've spent... :lol:

Yep! Do not, I repeat, do not tally... #covidpurchase

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I call it my semi-retirement project, as it is partly funded by my pensions/retirement funds, however, some may call it an indulgent - I am having a brand new goods van custom-converted into a campervan/recreational vehicle, which should be ready in January 2021.

I used to go camping under canvas, and had spent quite a lot on my camping gears (my last tent was over 2k GBP, and I had a small leisure trailer that cost over 1k GBP when new back in 2012).

However, due to health and other issues, it is not practical to do that anymore. Hence I am switching unit to a campervan instead.

It will be a tiny home from home with all the home comforts. Can't wait!

DK :))

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some other things-
- food! I love to eat out, do take out or have food delivered. I’ll also try almost anything.
- Burberry coats and scarves- not the silk scarves though. I prefer wool scarves BC I’m always cold.
- Longchamp Le Pliage Bags. I have an assortment of colors and sizes. I love that they are not too expensive, extremely lightweight (my go to bags when I’m traveling), and come in so many colors.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I call it my semi-retirement project, as it is partly funded by my pensions/retirement funds, however, some may call it an indulgent - I am having a brand new goods van custom-converted into a campervan/recreational vehicle, which should be ready in January 2021.

I used to go camping under canvas, and had spent quite a lot on my camping gears (my last tent was over 2k GBP, and I had a small leisure trailer that cost over 1k GBP when new back in 2012).

However, due to health and other issues, it is not practical to do that anymore. Hence I am switching unit to a campervan instead.

It will be a tiny home from home with all the home comforts. Can't wait!

DK :))

Sounds pretty awesome!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! So great you have access to so many trails... think I will ride more mtb this coming year as I have a good friend who is attempting marji gesick this year..so she really needs to get some miles in. I absolutely love being in the woods and brought my fat bike to vermont the fall I got it and next thing you know.. I was shopping for a mtb. I will admit that while my road bike relaxes me (except for worrying about distracted drivers!) mountain biking can stress me out. I accidentally climbed some crazy mostly hiking path because I am a moron and was in the woods by myself just trying to avoid black diamond trails.. it was kind of crazy.. I hate descending, but love the climb so the whole time going up I just keep thinking I have to come back down.. that day, after descending, I had to peel my claw gripped hands off the bars..

LOL! at the vision of the claw-gripped hands. I'm the other way—I used to pretty much loathe long, hard climbs, especially in hot weather. With the Levo's light assist (I keep it at 15% assist), I still get a lots of "heart rates" but the hills are so much more palatable now. The downhills and technical stuff I'm fine with!

Also.. I love the D-1 thing.. hehe.. my hubs likes buying me bikes way more than diamonds! I think he feels that I get more enjoyment and benefit from them.. sometimes I do daydream about the ring I could of had for all those bikes.. YIKES!!

Right?! This is us, too! I confess that I've also thought of the amazing ring(s?) that the bike money could have bought, over the years. However, I don't think I'd trade... yet. :D

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Mmm neuhouse chocolate ! Haven't had in ages but it is so good!
I used to collect Swarovski but somehow I'm not enamored with the figurines being sold in the last few years.
And yep love decorating my house, i have a few sets of knick nacks/pillows for the family room that i alternate between.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I have become “coffee snobs” over the past year and love really great coffee. We either get it from the nice coffee shop across the street or make it in our chemex. We also love eating out most nights or doing take out. I don’t cook very often although I wish I was good at it.
House upgrades. I love redoing things in the house. Decorating or full on renovations are one of my favorite things to do!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@
I buy most of it online, tho I would kill for a set of Chelsea design china from the Prince of Wales Highgrove online shop. Just the most divine botanical china!

I also want Chinoiserie -

Port merian 'The Holly and the Ivy' - tho, lord knows! - I can't BEGIN to justify another Christmas dinner set!!

And lastly - virtually ANYthing by Anna Weatherley:

I will be getting none of this, since I have Wedgwood Osborne
St David's plain white
Spode Christmas Tree - virtually everything
Williams and Sonoma - 12 Days of Christmas
Some pansy thingy for 16 - beautiful but it completely skips my memory
A bunch of Port Merion botanical stuff
Wedgwood's Sarah's Garden for 10
Antique Shelley tea cups, plates and saucers
Various tea pots and tea sets.
Christmas morning china - casual stuff specifically for breakfast on Christmas morning
And as for accent pieces...?!?! The list is almost endless!
@mrs-b I have the Portmeirion botanical set for everyday. I don’t let my mom and David eat on them. They scrape their dishes and leave utensil marks on all the dishes. Our everyday dishes are heavy duty white fiesta wear. I eat on my Portmeirion for lunch...haha I also have two sets of Portmeirion Christmas dishes for each house...Holly and Ivy for Maryland and Botanic Garden Mistletoe for Pa. I collect old China too...I started collecting five piece vintage China place settings. Everyone had a choice which place to sit depending on the China they chose. There were different ones at each place.. I had to get a few masculine ones too. I don’t get to play anymore..because no one I know enjoys China. I have a few stacks of China dinner plates for buffets. I would have you over to play if we were close by!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK then. Here you go. :)
Our three tandems.

In chronological order. While we still have all 3 we have only been riding the recumbent since we got it. So comfortable and in fact that was the impetus for getting it.

Our first tandem circa 1999 at our first beach house.

blackie.jpg

Our second tandem. Custom carbon.
calfeeandgreg.jpg

And our most current tandem.

tandemrecumbent.png
Ok @missy my hubby is 6'2", I'm 5'5"....now who rides in front? If your hubby is taller does he ride in front, how can you see? I've thought about tandem bike but was wondering about this.... :D

Yarns, fibres - wool, silk, etc. I love going to yarn shops and feeling the balls of yarn. I have a huge stash and a long queue of projects on Ravelry. But that's not going to stop me from buying more :)

I used to spend a lot of money on plants, but I've reached the point where my garden is full and I only replace things if they die, which doesn't happen very often.
Oh...This used to be me! Unfortunately, I love knitting with wool, and live in the desert sw, so wool isn't the best option. I may bust out my needles and do some wool socks, my feet are freezing!

Good food, I love exploring restaurant both fancy and casual. Probably my biggest expenditure.

Nice candles. I love the woodwicks for making the crackling sound.

Perfume. I’m a Tom Ford gal.
Woodwicks are the BEST!!!!

As for me I collect/indulge (probably not in a specific order):

Sewing/Quilting supplies - this includes woven materials (I love fat quarters, they are like chips and I am pretty much unable to not purchase at least one!), I also have a stash of knits to make clothes, but it's been a while since I"ve sewn clothes. I make most of my own clothes (including my undies). :D

Here's my beloved quilting hoop that hubby bought me for Christmas a few years ago:
1608133934522.png

Vintage sewing machines - They are amazing! I love the engineering behind them and wish I had more space! I currently have many including a treadle that's about 100 years old. :D I do all my sewing on a machine that was made in the 1950s and can do straight or zigzag. :D

Antiques: I love them. Hubby, not so much. I have a vintage Martha Washington sewing cabinet that I got for an anniversary present (well, I called hubby and said I want this) :D I love going to antique stores, hubbs hates them and refuses to go. I'd have a ton of antiques in my house if I had the space/funds.

Art: This is more a hubby and myself, but we have quite a bit of art in our house. Compared to some of your collections, they are probably cheap, but we love them. We've found a local artist guild that sells individual pieces and um...we love that place.
1608132481462.png

Those collectables are the reason my bling budget is tiny. The bling budget includes all my other fun things....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok @missy my hubby is 6'2", I'm 5'5"....now who rides in front? If your hubby is taller does he ride in front, how can you see? I've thought about tandem bike but was wondering about this.... :D

Greg is in front. He’s taller and weighs more. That’s who goes up front generally. Though you don’t have to follow that rule. It works well for us. I can daydream while we cycle and he’s a good driver haha. And I see no problem. There’s amazing scenery all around. It’s great because I can just enjoy the scenery and not worry about all the traffic. You need eyes all around. Pedestrians, motorists and other cyclists don’t always drive / walk safely and one has to be on guard. Greg’s good at that. :)

I highly recommend getting a tandem if you like to cycle. You can chat with your dh and are always together. But do a test drive first and see how you like it. It’s not for everyone. Mel our custom bike guy always says a tandem gets a couple where they’re going in their relationship very fast. I’m saying that wrong lol. This is it.

Wherever you’re going in your relationship a tandem will get you there faster.
Truth.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@

@mrs-b I have the Portmeirion botanical set for everyday. I don’t let my mom and David eat on them. They scrape their dishes and leave utensil marks on all the dishes. Our everyday dishes are heavy duty white fiesta wear. I eat on my Portmeirion for lunch...haha I also have two sets of Portmeirion Christmas dishes for each house...Holly and Ivy for Maryland and Botanic Garden Mistletoe for Pa. I collect old China too...I started collecting five piece vintage China place settings. Everyone had a choice which place to sit depending on the China they chose. There were different ones at each place.. I had to get a few masculine ones too. I don’t get to play anymore..because no one I know enjoys China. I have a few stacks of China dinner plates for buffets. I would have you over to play if we were close by!

Ooooohhhhh! Over the last few years, I've bought the Portmeirion Holly and Ivy set for my best girlfriend. She now has a set for 8 and it's GORGEOUS. I love that setting! I do love my Spode, tho, and I adore my 12 Days of Christmas setting. I have a few pieces of Villeroy and Boch French Garden Christmas, but that stuff is getting so hard to find and putting together a whole dinner set of somethat that's essentially earthenware for the price it would be just doesn't make sense.

And we should DEFINITELY do a china get-together! And @diamondseeker2006 should definitely join us! She's the only person here who I know is as great a lover of china as I am!

I have plain white fine bone china (wait...or is it...porcelain? I'm not sure!) for every day, but it wasn't expensive and I have abunch of it. It goes well with the St David's - which is a subsidiary brand of Royal Doulton, so i think I can seat...16 maybe? Tho in these covid times, it feels like an eternity since I had people over to dinner....

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Some other things-
- food! I love to eat out, do take out or have food delivered. I’ll also try almost anything.
- Burberry coats and scarves- not the silk scarves though. I prefer wool scarves BC I’m always cold.
- Longchamp Le Pliage Bags. I have an assortment of colors and sizes. I love that they are not too expensive, extremely lightweight (my go to bags when I’m traveling), and come in so many colors.

We are the same person! I indulge in all of the above too.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooohhhhh! Over the last few years, I've bought the Portmeirion Holly and Ivy set for my best girlfriend. She now has a set for 8 and it's GORGEOUS. I love that setting! I do love my Spode, tho, and I adore my 12 Days of Christmas setting. I have a few pieces of Villeroy and Boch French Garden Christmas, but that stuff is getting so hard to find and putting together a whole dinner set of somethat that's essentially earthenware for the price it would be just doesn't make sense.

And we should DEFINITELY do a china get-together! And @diamondseeker2006 should definitely join us! She's the only person here who I know is as great a lover of china as I am!

I have plain white fine bone china (wait...or is it...porcelain? I'm not sure!) for every day, but it wasn't expensive and I have abunch of it. It goes well with the St David's - which is a subsidiary brand of Royal Doulton, so i think I can seat...16 maybe? Tho in these covid times, it feels like an eternity since I had people over to dinner....

I belonged to a Newcomers Bunco group that a friend twisted my arm to join. It was hysterical because people were competitive..Let me tell you there’s no skill involved! Haha We would take turns having it at each of our houses. You had to serve a breakfast buffet. I took out all my pretty dishes to play. I also collect cut glass and anything monogrammed. I would serve juice in those glasses. We don’t meet anymore so no more playing for me.
I have this old Wedgwood pattern that I used for buffets. They’re in Pa so I took a pic from Replacements. I love them so much. I’ll take a pic of what I have when I get back to Pa. I have Lenox Chirp everyday dishes here..
Your dishes sound lovely. I’m going to look them up!

Attachments

• BD25E0B9-75B6-46B4-9339-618CBCAA1B1F.jpeg
    BD25E0B9-75B6-46B4-9339-618CBCAA1B1F.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 09E02615-2ECA-4154-9608-FB03B329B258.jpeg
    09E02615-2ECA-4154-9608-FB03B329B258.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@MamaBee those dishes are so pretty! Love the soft blue

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I belonged to a Newcomers Bunco group that a friend twisted my arm to join. It was hysterical because people were competitive..Let me tell you there’s no skill involved! Haha We would take turns having it at each of our houses. You had to serve a breakfast buffet. I took out all my pretty dishes to play. I also collect cut glass and anything monogrammed. I would serve juice in those glasses. We don’t meet anymore so no more playing for me.
I have this old Wedgwood pattern that I used for buffets. They’re in Pa so I took a pic from Replacements. I love them so much. I’ll take a pic of what I have when I get back to Pa. I have Lenox Chirp everyday dishes here..
Your dishes sound lovely. I’m going to look them up!

@MamaBee that is absolutely beautiful! I look forward to your pictures of cut glass. A ladies brunch sounds very delightful.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My special indulgences besides jewelry are:
-Art and Antiques

-Exercise-
I’ve belonged to various gyms consistently since my 20’s and more recently have a home exercise program that’s working great. I probably won’t go back to the gym since this is more convenient and as effective.
Plus I think I tended to overdo it at the gym which resulted in a knee injury last year. Not worth it at this stage of life.
Walking with my husband every morning rain or shine and some evenings too.
It all keeps me sane.

-Good food. I’m picky about what I eat and appreciate high quality foods.
Including good chocolate.

-cashmere sweaters, though I usually get them second hand. I have a collection. They are a true luxury to wear.

-scarves , lots of scarves

-good skin care products

-nice quality purses, not super high end, but nice ie Coach. I usually get a new one each year or so this time of year. I have a couple other brands like a Vintage Fendi purse. Above all they have to be comfortable to wear. Cross body all the way. I like to be hands free.

I think that’s it!

Do you subscribe to an online workout program? Or do you just self curate? I ask because pre-covid I belonged to a gym and went quite a bit but now I cant find the time and would really like something to do at home. Lol I also injure myself a tone running outdoors, so need someway to avoid falling back into this cycle too (this was what the gym was supposed to be for originally after several running injuries. Ofcourse now Ive paused the gym and am either running again -- not good -- or getting fat on a day to day basis :lol-2: ).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results