shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your "special indulgences" besides fine jewelry?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'll start. I confess I have a thing for both Avon and Tupperware. I think it's because they remind me of childhood happiness. The ladies getting together to look at the pretties was cool. They're not super expensive at least. Er, depending on how much one buys of course. :)

Also Le Creuset, because my kitchen is small so the pots and pans have to sit on the stove and therefore they better be pretty! It's a chance to be snooty without knocking out walls to put in a showier kitchen haha.

How about you?

P.S. Photos are most welcome!

Last edited:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Bikes and cycling kits and anything to do with cycling, really.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Good coffee, chocolate, lots of tubes of nice hand cream, tea of all types, houseplants, and more blue jeans than one woman should own (is 10 pairs a lot?).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll start. I confess I have a thing for both Avon and Tupperware. I think it's because they remind me of childhood happiness. The ladies getting together to look at the pretties was cool. They're not super expensive at least. Er, depending on how much one buys of course. :)

Also Le Creuset, because my kitchen is small so the pots and pans have to sit on the stove and therefore, they better be pretty! It's a chance to be snooty without knocking out walls to put in a showier kitchen haha.

How about you?

We don't have avon in NZ anymore
I used to enjoy buying all kinds of bits and bobs from them
they had nice books for toddler age and all sorts of kitchen things in their seasonal and clearance catalogues and i liked their shower gels and foot lotions
I used to buy lots of little fashion earings and Christmas bling

Its sad its gone because it provided work to lots of mothers

However i have not needed to buy any make up or deodorant in three years since ive had no avon lady !

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bags, makeup and shoes in that order.
I was just looking at Le Creuset for a cast iron pan. I saw this pretty purple colored one. Hmmmm..

ean

Brilliant_Rock
On my insta bio it says that I’m a lover of diamonds and french cookware which is both true and sadly both expensive. Haha. I love my Le Creuset, staub, and my 2.5mm gauge professional grade copper pans from Mauviel. I was looking at a nice oval Mauviel copper pot for Christmas perhaps, but not really wanting to drop over $500 on a pan right now. Haha

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
+ a billion! I think my bike is my best friend.

And champagne.
I have a favorite and I love it just as much as the first time I rode it! I just crossed 9000 miles and the thing that is terrible is that I love it so much, I never want to ride any of my other bikes! First world problem to be sure. It's a spesh sworks tarmac with DI2 shifting and it weighs nothing. I love to climb and it makes climbing feel effortless. well, kind of. Best money I ever spent! Do you ride a lot Sharon?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything to do with Christmas. My DH doesn't even try to stop me.

Flowers for my house, or plants for my garden. I get SO much out of my garden - I love it looking nice and being 100% useable.

China of all kinda. I could have a formal lunch with 60 people...if I knew that many!

Paintings.

Greeting cards / nice wrapping paper and ribbon.

Certain perfumes. I luuuuurve nice smells! Because my health can be iffy, I often don't tell my god kids before I go to visit them in LA. My god daughter will walk into the house from being out after I've arrived and she'll say - "Oooooh! The house smells beautiful! My god mother is here!!" - and then she'll go running through the house till she - sure enough! - finds me. it's a little ritual we have, and it's lovely. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cycling and all that it entails.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a favorite and I love it just as much as the first time I rode it! I just crossed 9000 miles and the thing that is terrible is that I love it so much, I never want to ride any of my other bikes! First world problem to be sure. It's a spesh sworks tarmac with DI2 shifting and it weighs nothing. I love to climb and it makes climbing feel effortless. well, kind of. Best money I ever spent! Do you ride a lot Sharon?

Yes, I try. As far as seasons go.......we can have snow in August!!! LOL But we did ride in Dec this year--we had record temps and we took our chances on the partially icy paths....... One day I wore my Canada Goose parka----but it was big sun and blue sky so out we went!!! :)

I like riding to the market, have a coffee or ice cream then coming home with 10 kgs of food and wine on my back----I didn't drive my car much this year! In fine weather, we ride to our fav restaurant, stuff our faces, then work it off riding home!!

@missy and her hubby are enthusiastic cyclists.

Do you have good city paths? Can you ride all year long?

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. Photos are most welcome!

OK then. Here you go. :)
Our three tandems.

In chronological order. While we still have all 3 we have only been riding the recumbent since we got it. So comfortable and in fact that was the impetus for getting it.

Our first tandem circa 1999 at our first beach house.

blackie.jpg

Our second tandem. Custom carbon.
calfeeandgreg.jpg

And our most current tandem.

tandemrecumbent.png

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
Yarns, fibres - wool, silk, etc. I love going to yarn shops and feeling the balls of yarn. I have a huge stash and a long queue of projects on Ravelry. But that's not going to stop me from buying more :)

I used to spend a lot of money on plants, but I've reached the point where my garden is full and I only replace things if they die, which doesn't happen very often.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My children are my indulgences....they are quite spoiled in that I try to get everything they want on their Christmas/Birthday wish list. There is never a set limit on $$$ I spend. Things like Cameras, drum sets, PCs are just some of the pricey things they have asked for, and usually end up getting.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Anything to do with Christmas. My DH doesn't even try to stop me.

Flowers for my house, or plants for my garden. I get SO much out of my garden - I love it looking nice and being 100% useable.

China of all kinda. I could have a formal lunch with 60 people...if I knew that many!

Paintings.

Greeting cards / nice wrapping paper and ribbon.

Certain perfumes. I luuuuurve nice smells! Because my health can be iffy, I often don't tell my god kids before I go to visit them in LA. My god daughter will walk into the house from being out after I've arrived and she'll say - "Oooooh! The house smells beautiful! My god mother is here!!" - and then she'll go running through the house till she - sure enough! - finds me. it's a little ritual we have, and it's lovely. :))

Where do you get your china? Is it all matching? I love hosting dinners and party’s but I didn’t register for China when I got married. I’ve been thinking about starting a little collection!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plants. My houseplants grow in the breezeway when it's warm, and in the winter I bring them down to a room in the basement with growth lights, rolling plant coasters and humidifiers. I have some plants that are 10 years old and a bird of paradise and a palm that reach the ceiling.

Beeswax candles. I love them.

Crystal skull sleepware. I have 10 of the same Crystal skull T-shirts and multiple themed leggings to sleep in. When they get a bit worn I replace them with the same or very similar items.

Socks and footies. Wool blend socks, and sherpa socks and footies.

Duvet covers. I have a bunch and rotate them every week. I have winter, spring, summer and fall themed covers, and similar themed valences that I change often.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good food, I love exploring restaurant both fancy and casual. Probably my biggest expenditure.

Nice candles. I love the woodwicks for making the crackling sound.

Perfume. I’m a Tom Ford gal.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you get your china? Is it all matching? I love hosting dinners and party’s but I didn’t register for China when I got married. I’ve been thinking about starting a little collection!

I buy most of it online, tho I would kill for a set of Chelsea design china from the Prince of Wales Highgrove online shop. Just the most divine botanical china!

I also want Chinoiserie -

Port merian 'The Holly and the Ivy' - tho, lord knows! - I can't BEGIN to justify another Christmas dinner set!!

And lastly - virtually ANYthing by Anna Weatherley:

I will be getting none of this, since I have Wedgwood Osborne
St David's plain white
Spode Christmas Tree - virtually everything
Williams and Sonoma - 12 Days of Christmas
Some pansy thingy for 16 - beautiful but it completely skips my memory
A bunch of Port Merion botanical stuff
Wedgwood's Sarah's Garden for 10
Antique Shelley tea cups, plates and saucers
Various tea pots and tea sets.
Christmas morning china - casual stuff specifically for breakfast on Christmas morning
And as for accent pieces...?!?! The list is almost endless!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our three tandems.

In chronological order. While we still have all 3 we have only been riding the recumbent since we got it. So comfortable and in fact that was the impetus for getting it.

blackie.jpg

calfeeandgreg.jpg

tandemrecumbent.png

This is insanely, ridiculously cool!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Our three tandems.

blackie.jpg

calfeeandgreg.jpg

tandemrecumbent.png

Great photos and amazing bikes!! Thanks for sharing. So nice you two share a hobby you can do together!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New cars. I replace my cars every 3 years. Have been doing so since I turned 30. My little luxury. I don’t feel safe driving cars that are past their warranty date and I don’t buy extended warranty bc I know that I will replace the car. We drive a lot and I want to feel safe and comfortable.
Travel bc I prioritize trips and get-away’s and have been blessed to take them at least 3 times per year since college. To some this may be the norm, but I know plenty of people who don’t travel so I guess it is an indulgence. The memories I created with DD and hubby are priceless!
Finally—home upgrades. It’s a never-ending cycle but it is so rewarding! I want to appreciate every living space in my house!

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
New cars. I replace my cars every 3 years. Have been doing so since I turned 30. My little luxury. I don’t feel safe driving cars that are past their warranty date and I don’t buy extended warranty bc I know that I will replace the car. We drive a lot and I want to feel safe and comfortable.
Travel bc I prioritize trips and get-away’s and have been blessed to take them at least 3 times per year since college. To some this may be the norm, but I know plenty of people who don’t travel so I guess it is an indulgence. The memories I created with DD and hubby are priceless!
Finally—home upgrades. It’s a never-ending cycle but it is so rewarding! I want to appreciate every living space in my house!
Yes, I love new cars too. I usually get one every 5 years or when payments are done, and my husband gets a new company car every 2-3 years.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Races and expensive running shoes/clothes. And I spoil my kiddos :)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
My indulgences vary, depending on who-knows-what! In random order:
- sparklies
- pearls
- shoes
- jackets/coats
- skincare
- hair product

And then there's bikes...

Bikes and cycling kits and anything to do with cycling, really.

+ a billion! I think my bike is my best friend.

And champagne.

I've been mountain biking for a gazillion years and last year, hubs decided to surprise me with an e-bike (Specialized Levo). And this is my new Love. I adore that bike! I also have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR that's been set up exactly like the Levo that I ride when I'm out with people who don't have e-bikes.

The Levo is my all-around fave and particularly great for when I'm out with the guys (only have one gal buddy who is just learning to ride trails). It's super-easy to keep up on the grunty uphills, and my fitness level has also increased.

And then, for winter ops, I have a Trek Farley 7 (fatbike), also set up like the other two. Ooooh, what a fab stable of bikes!!!

My DH is an amazing bike tech, by avocation. I never have to do anything, just get on an ride! Love, love, love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results