shape
carat
color
clarity

Vent/Rant/Question for the Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
or at least come up with better lines than "hey baby!"

point in case, me + boyf (who was not boyf at the time)
me "can i buy you a beer?"

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 3:21:54 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 8/13/2008 2:50:02 PM
Author: Bliss
You wouldn''t like it in NYC! That is just what happens to all decently attractive women. Lots of construction workers, guys driving trucks and random men who will HONK and whistle, mumble things or say them loudly as you pass by.

I think the best thing is to ignore it. If someone says hello, I smile and that''s it...keep walking. No sense in shooting hostile dirty looks unless it''s disrespectful. Sometimes I feel like yelling, ''HEY! That''s SOMEONE''S WIFE-TO-BE YOU''RE WHISTLING AT! Have some respect!'' I can''t imagine how I''d feel with my baby if someone whistles at me.

This is what escalates (in extreme cases) to those women being attacked & groped by groups of men in Central Park several years ago.
29.gif
OMG!!!
23.gif

Bliss, I hadn''t heard about this! Please tell me they caught the guys who were doing it and locked them up???
32.gif
Not to scare you, but in extremes... in that "gang" mentality, it can happen... even in the middle of Central Park in broad daylight. Crazy.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/06/14/central.park.assault.01/

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Not only that, but because of the social prevalence/acceptance of behavior like street harassment, people are somewhat un-fazed by it, and may decide to ignore you even if it escalates into an attack. There are more instances of that than I care to think about.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
OMG i totally agree! I worked at a children''s boutique in DT seattle, where every once in awhile i would get a (male) customer who honestly was not well off in more than one ways (ie, one buck short of being homeless). One day he told me to smile (i was in a b*tch mood) and when i did he said "you have an ugly smile"

WTF????????

woah. forgot about that story. but yeah, telling someone to smile is condensending to me. i mean, make me laugh and i will. be a dick about it, i wont.

I also went to a school where each day i had no choice but to walk by day workers. it sucked, honestly, becuase i was always in nicer clothes than most at the school (i went for fashion business/marketing)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 5:30:20 PM
Author: jcarlylew
OMG i totally agree! I worked at a children's boutique in DT seattle, where every once in awhile i would get a (male) customer who honestly was not well off in more than one ways (ie, one buck short of being homeless). One day he told me to smile (i was in a b*tch mood) and when i did he said 'you have an ugly smile'

WTF????????

woah. forgot about that story. but yeah, telling someone to smile is condensending to me. i mean, make me laugh and i will. be a dick about it, i wont.

I also went to a school where each day i had no choice but to walk by day workers. it sucked, honestly, becuase i was always in nicer clothes than most at the school (i went for fashion business/marketing)
OMG! CRAZY! Clearly the poor man was mentally ill. No one has an "ugly smile" and I am sure yours is beautiful hence the attention. But what a thing to say!

Seriously, the next time I walk by construction guys who are whistling, I'm going to say in a deep voice.... THANK YOU. I USED TO BE A MAN, SO THIS MEANS SO VERY MUCH TO ME. HOWEVER, I DO HAVE A DEBILITATING INFECTIOUS DISEASE...VERY SAD VERY SAD FOR MY NEW LIFE. And then I will start HACKING and COUGHING very loudly... all over their boxed lunches!
31.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
hahahah :)

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Certain parts of Central Park are known for being unsafe. For men or women. Not exactly the norm for a good example of your average guy yelling hey baby or whistling. That''s like saying I walked through East LA and a bunch of guys in bandanas scared me
2.gif

I suppose we all have different ideas of what we find worrying or scary. I don''t worry about flipping anyone off. I don''t plan to live forever. In the mean time I''ll die on my feet doing what the heck I want before I live on my knees in fear. That''s just me. I do NOT buckle under to anyone. EVER.

If I become a statistic, ya''ll can say "I told ya so" at the memorial
9.gif

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 4:15:37 PM
Author: Linda W

You know what? This would really scare me to flip someone off, especially in this day and age.

Our neighbor was cut of by a person on the free way 2 weeks ago. He flipped the person off. This man pulled a gun out and chased our friend on the free way trying to shoot him. Luckily our friend lost him.

I would be so afraid to flip anyone off now a days. Just my 2 cents worth. BTW, our friends wife chewed him out for flipping him off in the first place.

Linda

i don''t exactly live in fear and think most people are pretty alright.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, it can be a total irritation. It''s probably a wee bit snobby of me to admit, but, my level of irritation depends on what the whistler/yeller/oogler looks like, LOL! If he''s a hunky whistler it''s not as bad as a creepy, greasy, gross one. I''m rarely upset by it, but, there''s no way I would ever or have ever considered a man with such blatant flirting skills.

OMG Bliss - you crack me up girl! I''ll use the infection/was a man line the next time I''m hit on! I wanna join your Granny club, too! I could totally see myslf doing that as an old lady!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:52:17 PM
Author: somethingshiny
If i get whistled at, I ignore it. If I get hit-on, I politely decline.

If I get my a$$ grabbed, I swing.

ME TOO! And it almost got me and a few of my guy friends killed in New Orleans!
23.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 4:54:16 PM
Author: Starset Princess

Jerry Seinfeld:

WHAT WOMEN WANT:

I swear, I have absolutely no idea what women are thinking. I don’t get it, OK? I, I, I admit, I, I’m not getting the signals. I am not getting it! Women, they’re so subtle, their little.. everything they do is subtle.. men are not subtle, we are obvious. Women know what men want, men know what men want, what do we want? We want women, that’s it! It’s the only thing we know for sure, it really is: we want women. How do we get them? Oh, we don’t know ’bout that, we don’t know. The next step after that we have no idea. This is why you see men honking car-horns, yelling from construction sites. These are the best ideas we’ve had so far.. The car-horn-honk, is that a beauty? Have you seen men doing this? What is this? The man is in the car, the woman walks by the front of the car, he honks. This man is out of ideas. The amazing thing is, that we still get women, don’t we. Men, I mean, men are with women. You see men with women. How are men getting women, many people wonder. Let me tell you a little bit about our organization. Where ever women are, we have a man working on the situation right now. Now, he may not be our best man, OK, we have a lot of areas to cover, but someone from our staff is on the scene. That’s why, I think, men get frustrated, when we see women reading articles, like: “Where to meet men?”. We’re here, we are everywhere. We’re honking our horns to serve you better.

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Too funny - I just saw Seinfeld last month, and I was really hoping he would do the "what women want" bit.

And, as for the original post - I just ignore it. Nothing is more gratifying than getting a desired reaction - attention, whether it''s negative or positive, is what they''re after.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! You guys have all made some really good comments! Glad I started this thread! LOL!
1.gif

StarsetPrincess ~ The Seinfeld clip was hilarious! Thanks for posting that!
9.gif

Jas ~ I totally agree . . . it''s very humiliating, and it''s like they just EXPECT us to be flattered and amused. WTF?!?!
20.gif
29.gif

Wishful ~ Thanks for the info! I can see how this must be even MORE annoying for you, with your education. And I think you''re right that there''s really no "right" way for us to deal with this. I just ignore . . . I mean COMPLETELY ignore, like the guy doesn''t even exist. I''ve gotten pretty good at this, although it isn''t easy sometimes, and it really pisses me off that we even have to THINK about this issue.
38.gif

MonkeyPie ~ I bet you''re adorable! You''ve just been lucky to escape the whistling! And welcome to the Supa Grannys Club!
9.gif

Jcarlylew ~ You''re so right! I mean, what the hell is "hey baby" going to get you?!?! Come ON! They have to be able to come up with something more original than that, right?!?!
20.gif

Bliss ~ Thanks for the link to the article. That''s just TERRIBLE!!! And to think that the cops SAW IT HAPPEN and didn''t do anything!!!
23.gif
29.gif

Wishful ~ I think you''re exactly right. This happens so often, and guys are so used to getting away with it and other women are so used to seeing it happen to others and/or having it happen to them, that I think people have just become desensitized to it. Which is a shame. I''d like to think that someone would help if I was ever in that situation, but I''m just not so sure.
7.gif

Jcarlylew ~ OMG! What a jerk! I can''t believe he said that to you! You know, I used to work at a book store, and we had this one regular customer who was just a CREEEEEEEEP!!! I was in college at the time, and he was probably about 45 or 50 years old. He always bought "magazines" if ya know what I mean. (EW!) Also, he always called me by my name, which I thought was weird. (The store owner made us all wear nametags, so that''s how he knew my name). Well, one day, I was ringing up one of his "purchases" (again, EW!), and he said, "You know, you''re a fun person to think about." EEEEEK!!! I was SO grossed out! I just gave him a look like "OMG, you FREAK!" That just really disgusted me.
23.gif
29.gif

Bliss ~ LOL about the man voice/infectious disease comment! That''s AWESOME! I''ll definitely have to use that one, at least until I become a Supa Granny!
36.gif

Purrf ~ OK, they didn''t just yell "hey baby" or whistle. It was a gang of like 40 guys and they were attacking women (oh, and don''t forget the 14-year-old girl!) and ripping their clothes off! I''m thinking it probably wouldn''t have done any good for those ladies to flip off that gang of guys. And, FWIW, I don''t buckle under to anyone either. Like I''ve said previously in this thread, I don''t run away, no matter how much I want to. I also don''t acknowledge the guy in any way, shape or form. I just go about my business as if nothing had happened. I truly hope you DON''T become a statistic!
40.gif

TenFour ~ I agree that most people are pretty alright. I think most guys who do this don''t really mean any harm. It''s just annoying and immature.
38.gif

Miranda ~ You should rate them next time one whistles at you! Just say "Hey, you''re about an 8.5, so thanks!" or "Oh, sorry, you''re only a 4 so leave me alone!" LOL!
11.gif
2.gif

Trillionaire ~ OK, we''ve gotta hear that story!!!
23.gif

Lauren ~ ITA!!! I really think ignoring is the best policy!
36.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I didn''t make myself clear. I''m aware of the Central Park incident and that it was a large group of men. My point was exactly what you said, it was NOT indicative of a typical couple of guys whistling situation, it was basically a gang grope. So yes, that would be an entirely different type of encounter and not part of the discussion of random guys that whistle and yell. In other words, a completely different thread.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 6:10:50 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Certain parts of Central Park are known for being unsafe. For men or women. Not exactly the norm for a good example of your average guy yelling hey baby or whistling. That's like saying I walked through East LA and a bunch of guys in bandanas scared me
2.gif

I suppose we all have different ideas of what we find worrying or scary. I don't worry about flipping anyone off. I don't plan to live forever. In the mean time I'll die on my feet doing what the heck I want before I live on my knees in fear. That's just me. I do NOT buckle under to anyone. EVER.

If I become a statistic, ya'll can say 'I told ya so' at the memorial
9.gif
LOL. I agree! But that incident was in Columbus Circle, Central Park South is very very populated and that is actually one of the nicest parts of the park and of Manhattan. That's where Trump plaza is and the luxury condos. I live in that area. But yes, there are definitely parts of Central Park that are very remote. Very scary at night.

ETA: Hey Miss Pear! We posted at the same time! LOL. Jinx!!! Who buys who coke?
41.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 9:34:52 PM
Sorry I didn''t make myself clear. I''m aware of the Central Park incident and that it was a large group of men. My point was exactly what you said, it was NOT indicative of a typical couple of guys whistling situation, it was basically a gang grope. So yes, that would be an entirely different type of encounter and not part of the discussion of random guys that whistle and yell. In other words, a completely different thread.
I really don''t think that scenario belongs in a completely different thread. This thread is about random individual guys and/or random groups of guys who whistle/yell. The whistling/yelling is annoying and alarming in part BECAUSE we don''t know how much further it''s going to go, or what they''re going to do next. I''m sure every situation with the gang of 40 guys in Central Park started with them whistling/yelling at a woman before they approached her and started groping. As I said before, MOST whistlers/yellers are harmless and are just being stupid. But how do we tell the harmless ones from the not-so-harmless ones?
33.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 9:40:27 PM

I really don''t think that scenario belongs in a completely different thread. This thread is about random individual guys and/or random groups of guys who whistle/yell. The whistling/yelling is annoying and alarming in part BECAUSE we don''t know how much further it''s going to go, or what they''re going to do next. I''m sure every situation with the gang of 40 guys in Central Park started with them whistling/yelling at a woman before they approached her and started groping. As I said before, MOST whistlers/yellers are harmless and are just being stupid. But how do we tell the harmless ones from the not-so-harmless ones?
33.gif

You really can''t tell, and that''s why I do not make eye contact, and remove myself from the situation. I think thats the best way to go, they don''t get a reaction, and you''re removing yourself from a situation. I''d never react just to make a point about being tough. My life is worth more than feeling like I "got someone back".

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 9:43:22 PM
Author: elledizzy5

33.gif

You really can''t tell, and that''s why I do not make eye contact, and remove myself from the situation. I think thats the best way to go, they don''t get a reaction, and you''re removing yourself from a situation. I''d never react just to make a point about being tough. My life is worth more than feeling like I ''got someone back''.
My thoughts EXACTLY, Elle! You never know what they''re going to do, but you DO know that they''re trying to get a reaction out of you. I just REFUSE to give them that reaction that they''re so desperately looking for!
2.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock

33.gif
I''ve got to go with Irishgrrl on this one. Obviously the end outcomes of the two situations in question are different, with one outcome much more extreme, but the more extreme incident didn''t just pop up out of nowhere; it began as the same "typical" [ugh] situation of catcalling and yelling and whistling, I''m sure, and ESCALATED to the situation in which a group assault was perpetrated.

The two can''t be separated because they''re two points on what is essentially a spectrum of [street/public] harassment that occurs every single day in virtually every country in the world, and is statistically speaking overwhelmingly perpetrated by men. It''s a systemic problem that is upheld by a very specific paradigm of thought involving women''s bodies in the public sphere; specifically, the idea that women''s bodies are public property and therefore available for open commentary or physical interaction by people who encounter them. The same underlying system makes possible both catcalls/whistles and physical/sexual assault.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 9:47:56 PM
Author: WishfulThinking

33.gif
I''ve got to go with Irishgrrl on this one. Obviously the end outcomes of the two situations in question are different, with one outcome much more extreme, but the more extreme incident didn''t just pop up out of nowhere; it began as the same ''typical'' [ugh] situation of catcalling and yelling and whistling, I''m sure, and ESCALATED to the situation in which a group assault was perpetrated.

The two can''t be separated because they''re two points on what is essentially a spectrum of [street/public] harassment that occurs every single day in virtually every country in the world, and is statistically speaking overwhelmingly perpetrated by men. It''s a systemic problem that is upheld by a very specific paradigm of thought involving women''s bodies in the public sphere; specifically, the idea that women''s bodies are public property and therefore available for open commentary or physical interaction by people who encounter them. The same underlying system makes possible both catcalls/whistles and physical/sexual assault.
^^^ What she said.
9.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irishgrrrl you are adorable. I pretty much love everything that you say.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I think it can be very creepy depending on the setting, whistling bothers me less than actual touching. I mentioned in another thread about a sexual disorder where men like to rub up against women (this is the typical men to women, usually women are not the ones doing it to to men) in crowded close spaces, elevators, trains, subways...they derive sexual gratification from it and it is truly a huge violation.

The whistling can be scary if you are alone and there is a group of men and you are somehow vulnerable. I would bet most of those men are just being fresh and do not mean to really scare or freak a woman out, I think their intentions are not evil though they might make someone uncomfortable for sure. I have said to guys once in a while, hey, what if that were your wife or daughter? They get more of a sense then. There was also a SNL skit I think where they had the women (Gilda, Larraine) totally sexually harassing Dan Akroyd and it was funny, he was upset at being treated like beef cake.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Actually, it started as whistling and catcalling and escalated quickly. I'm also fairly certain alcohol played a part. But it was stated as an example of an extreme case, and it is such. This year's parade was HEAVILY patrolled and monitored.

But I will agree with you in that most cases will not escalate to such horrific acts. Still, "sexual assaults" happen every single day in every city. You can get arrested for patting someone's butt, even. Just ask Christian Slater. He learned that the hard way.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but imagine if this happened to your mom or daughter. This happened to my mom when I was a little girl. Some random guy catcalled and then grabbed her butt in a supermarket parking lot when I was with her. It was awful and I am mad about it to this day. I remember seeing it and feeling totally violated on her behalf. *Most* catcalling can be harmless but it's the intention and also the entitlement that can lead to other things. Ya know?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I'm aware of the Central Park incident and that it was a large group of men. My point was exactly what you said, it was NOT indicative of a typical couple of guys whistling situation, it was basically a gang grope. So yes, that would be an entirely different type of encounter and not part of the discussion of random guys that whistle and yell. In other words, a completely different thread.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 10:23:06 PM
Author: Bliss
Actually, it started as whistling and catcalling and escalated quickly. I'm also fairly certain alcohol played a part. But it was stated as an example of an extreme case, and it is such. This year's parade was HEAVILY patrolled and monitored.

But I will agree with you in that most cases will not escalate to such horrific acts. Still, 'sexual assaults' happen every single day in every city. You can get arrested for patting someone's butt, even. Just ask Christian Slater. He learned that the hard way.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but imagine if this happened to your mom. This happened to my mom when I was a little girl. Some random guy catcalled and then grabbed her butt in a supermarket parking lot when I was with her. It was awful and I am mad about it to this day. I remember seeing it and feeling totally violated on her behalf. *Most* catcalling can be harmless but it's the intention and also the entitlement that can lead to other things. Ya know?
The thing is, I am confused as to why the media and others perceive it to be an unusual occurrence. Perhaps it was unusual for the circumstances [area it happened in, time of day, during a major public event], but the reality is that these things happen every day; group assaults, both on another group or on an individual, are not uncommon or extreme. Many of them are downplayed in the media, and hardly any of them get the coverage that the Central Park incident did. The vast majority of them go unreported. The vast majority of them also occur in low-income neighborhoods and quite often the victims are people of color. The vast majority of them involve alcohol consumed by the perpetrator.

I think the entitlement is key here as well: my body is not available to be used or violated by strangers, and it's not on display for the benefit of others and open for running commentary. That people [read: namely men] think they're entitled to those things is pretty sick, but totally par for the course considering the culture we live in.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
You only get a whistle? Wow, that must be nice. I have heard so many...rude/gross comments it''s not even funny. Generally, I walk around with my iPod on (or at least pretend it''s on) and make sure my ring is as visible as possible. I just love how they like to call you names when you ignore them. UGH!! I''ve been dealing with this type of crap since I was about 15.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:52:17 PM
Author: somethingshiny
If i get whistled at, I ignore it. If I get hit-on, I politely decline.

If I get my a$$ grabbed, I swing.

Hahahaha. Awesome!!
36.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think there are any right or wrong answers here and I guess you can''t help how it makes you feel when something like that happens.

Personally, I take it as a compliment and smile... and invariably they just smile back, maybe a quick wave & a ''Hi''.

I don''t think men that do this are seriously thinking they can pick up a girl that way... they are probably just a bit bored and pleased to see a pretty face (or something!).

A whistle, or a beep can really brighten my day... and maybe getting a smile from a pretty girl can brighten theirs - which is most likely why they do it.

I''ve never found it offensive (although personal remarks would be another matter entirely!)... and I just bet there are millions of girls out there who maybe aren''t so blessed that would just *love* to be whistled at by a man.

I just enjoy it, because as someone else said, the attention won''t last forever!

"Men grow cold as girls grow old and we all lose our charms in the end..." ;-)

x x x

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
When I was 17 or so, I went to see Gary Wright, Peter Frampton and Yes. (Wow, I''m old)

Anyway, I was with a girlfriend, my daughter''s father and his friend. I don''t remember where the guys were, but some drunk guy walked by me and grabbed my arse and smacked it...hard. I yelled at him something to the effect of flipping him off, only verbally. He stopped in his tracks, turned around and headed straight for me yelling " F me?, F me?...well F You" and punched me in the face.
39.gif
38.gif
39.gif

I was dazed and confused. I didn''t even think to hit back. I went and found my BF and his friend and we they tried to find the guy and we found him wandering outside the park getting into trouble with some other people. Me and girlfriend tried to get the guys to go take care of him and the guys said..."Nah, looky there, someone else is about to take care of him for us...lets get back in time for the light show".

I had two other instances in my life when I was physically accosted. One was by a 10 or 12 year old at a Charger Game. I hunted that kid down and he was with his grandfather who spanked his butt right in front of me...then I felt kind of sad for him. But he grabbed my chest and twisted it!!
6.gif
6.gif

I''ll take a whistle anyday.
20.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 12:35:18 AM
Author: miraclesrule
When I was 17 or so, I went to see Gary Wright, Peter Frampton and Yes. (Wow, I''m old)

Anyway, I was with a girlfriend, my daughter''s father and his friend. I don''t remember where the guys were, but some drunk guy walked by me and grabbed my arse and smacked it...hard. I yelled at him something to the effect of flipping him off, only verbally. He stopped in his tracks, turned around and headed straight for me yelling '' F me?, F me?...well F You'' and punched me in the face.
39.gif
38.gif
39.gif

I was dazed and confused. I didn''t even think to hit back. I went and found my BF and his friend and we they tried to find the guy and we found him wandering outside the park getting into trouble with some other people. Me and girlfriend tried to get the guys to go take care of him and the guys said...''Nah, looky there, someone else is about to take care of him for us...lets get back in time for the light show''.

I had two other instances in my life when I was physically accosted. One was by a 10 or 12 year old at a Charger Game. I hunted that kid down and he was with his grandfather who spanked his butt right in front of me...then I felt kind of sad for him. But he grabbed my chest and twisted it!!
6.gif
6.gif

I''ll take a whistle anyday.
20.gif
How awful for you. I''m so sorry you had to go through that.

Just wanted to give you *hugs*.

x x x

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Miracles, you poor little thing. I am sorry he did that to you. (both of those nasty boys).

I too, am sending you a great big hug.

Linda

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, but that was so long ago, I forgot about it until i saw this thread. The best part about it was that I didn''t bleed or cry. I was too stunned. I remember thinking though " If I were a man, I would be a sissy for sure" That hurts!!
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results