shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Re: The Official TTC Thread!

You ladies are cracking me up. FWIW, my only "symptom" before I got my bfp at 10dpo was AF like cramping. At 27 weeks I still don't pee much unless I drink a lot. And the sore bb's started around 5 weeks...epic heartburn once I got out of the first tri, nausea at 6olish weeks I think....so even the symptom are fleeting at best, you can be KTFU!

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock

Ditto Charbie. I didn't start getting symptoms until about 5 weeks. I felt completely normal when I got my BFP and for more than a week after that.

I was tired around 4 weeks, but I think part of that was that I had been traveling. Sore bb's and nausea started around 5 weeks. 6 weeks today and the nausea has just gotten worse. Wearing sea bands and drinking gingerale in an attempt to get as much food down as I can. Luckily I havent thrown up yet, but I keep gagging, and it's hard to find food that I can swallow. Being super nauseous all day is the most uncomfortable feeling (especially because we haven't told anyone and I have to pretend I feel fine around everyone but hubby). Good thing there's a baby at the end of this journey.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Katy and NEL, crossing my fingers that your “symptoms” are the real deal. Try not to drive yourselves too crazy these next few days. Ha, am I ever one to talk! You don’t even want to know the crazy thoughts that go through my head starting around 5dpo. Hoping this next week flies by for both you.

LC, how’s it going? Has it sunk in yet? Hope you are well and make sure to report back!

Brown, good to hear from you. Sorry you’re not feeling that great. Hopefully that doesn’t last too long. But you’re right – at least there’s going to be a baby to make up for it soon!

Ally, hopefully this long and confusing cycle pays off for you this month! Crossing my fingers!

AFM, nothing too exciting. I stopped temping and have removed any sticks upon which I may be tempted to pee from the bathroom. Of course I’m not keeping track of what cycle day I am (7 or 8 dpo) or my cm (watery/egg white) : ) And of course I haven’t already figured out, and am not secretly thrilled, that my most fertile time will probably coincide with the weekend when the chances of spontaneous BD (without me requesting it) is much higher than during the week. I guess this not trying/not preventing thing is going to take some discipline : )

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock

Thanks MP. Good luck with not trying/not preventing. That's how I started this journey and I didnt last long in that camp. It's hard not to keep track of things.

I've been MIA from the thread, but I have been keeping up with everyone's stories. I want to congratulate those ladies who have gotten BFPs (even if you're in denial) and send some dust to those in the 2WW that this is your month!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

brown_eyes, it's good to see you around! Glad to hear things are going well despite the nausea--if nothing else, I guess it's a good reminder that everything is going as planned :) The all-day nausea sounds awful.

MP, it's so much easer to go from not trying/not preventing to obsessive--the journey back would be tough! It may take some discipline, indeed :) Especially among the rest of us, who suffer from pee-on-a-stick-itis. That being said, I'm encouraged to hear that you may or may not be Oing over the weekend when non-coerced BDing is more plentiful. :wink2: May this be your lucky month!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Hey ladies!

NEL, your story about heartburn is HILARIOUS!!! Hey there's nothing wrong with the 2WW Crazy Train. There's great company on that train. And the white underwear was because it was clean/top of the stack/wearing white pants/Weds=White. See there's always justification. Ha ha!

Katy, OMG that inner monologue is hilarious! But totally sounds like what I think in my head too. And now I'm like, "I'm nauseous. Is it bad lunch nauseous or *preggo* nauseous. 'Cause it has NOTHING to do with eating greasy hamburgers for lunch." (or whatever food item of choice) I think getting pregnant come with a clearly marked labels or something. Like those Coors light Cold cans. The mountains turn blue when it reaches the right temp. Something like that should happen for O and for getting KU.

MP, the not preventing/not trying is a tough limbo to be in. Besides, I'd imagine you'd be crazy busy with job apps too. And keeping track of what day you're on is so you know when to pack said feminine products, right... I'm wishing you get some good luck this month!

--------------------

Thanks everyone for asking about me. I must admit I was checking this thread CONSTANTLY throughout yesterday. 1) because you guys are awesome to "talk" to 2) because super smart ladies and BTDT ladies have so much good advice and 3) well, I was just obsessive and you guys really help make the whole BFP (WOW first time I said/wrote that) sink in. But then I felt really guilty that I was totally hogging the thread yesterday, so I thought I should stay off it for a few hours. So difficult! I even started poking around in other forums I NEVER go to so I'd leave you guys alone.

Anyway, so my DH asked questions to me, which I tried the best of my ability to answer. I told him I'll call the doctor today (which I did, more on that later). Then he asked what happens next. This is where I was confused. Some ladies get betas drawn and I didn't get a request to come in for bloodwork. Maybe because this is "normal" right now, i.e. no previous experience so everything is first assume best-case scenario? So skipping the beta confusion, I gave him the low-down on 10-ish wk ultrasound, and so on. He was like "Ok."

Then he asked about the tests, how I got 1.5 positive as he said. He asked when's the best time to have sex (answered O-3 to O+1, but we had sex O-5. Then he said he didn't know and I should have told him. WTH, it's called regular sex buddy! not rocket science). Anyway, he kinda rained on my parade and doesn't think 1.5 BFP out of 3 tests = definite BFP, so he's all "well, let's not get our (implied mine) hopes up." with the negative and BDing so far out. And even if I told him I got a positive, just not all positives, he still doesn't think it's a sure thing. But that's why you ladies ROCK. So I'm going to use Wondofos until the line gets much darker, then test both tests and show him both of them as positives.

I have a July 1st appt (doc is going on vacation, so they wanted to get me in). I told them my last CD1, but it makes me wonder, they don't know how long my cycles are. I did the math and they think I'm probably a lot further along (at least 8 days further) than I think I am, given the temp spike and on Jun 2nd, I got a dark OPK line on Wondofo. They said they'll do a trans-vaginal sonogram, and that my DH can come if he wants to see the heart beat. I'll tell him about it tonight. I asked about midwife vs OB, they said they'll talk about it at the dr. appt. I asked about any changes in my workout activity they said the Dr's assistant should call, and I haven't received a call yet. Hmpfh! I also want to ask what do I do if I notice things going south, so still waiting for that call. ETA: They called me at my home number and left a message, and now I missed them at the office. DAMNIT! Also the receptionist said the "Just relax" I asked what about working out and she suggest not to? :confused:

That's about it I think for me. My temp was still up, bumped .5 this morning. As long as my temps stay up, I'm still reminding myself I'm pregnant. No symptoms besides bloating and gassy-ness. Never had cramps, sore boobs or any other pre-menstrual symptoms. My line on the Wondofo this morning was still faint. I'm waiting for it to get darker to show DH.

~LC, 13DPO, temps still high :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CONGRATS, lliang chi!! :)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

LC, first I have to say that you should never worry about hogging the thread. I do it all the time and have no guilt at all! :) I love your posts and need I remind you? This is what we're here for! To celebrate with you, to share frustrations with, to understand the roller coaster of TTC...post as much as you want, I say! And I practice what I preach!

I understand your DH being cautiously optimistic, but I just do not think you got a false positive on your CBE. It's SO much easier to get a false negative at 12dpo...I know you're holding off on testing again until tomorrow--and girl, your patience is admirable--but I'd bet my last dollar you're going to get positives.

As for the timing of the beta testing, I'm sort of glad you're figuring it out first, because I have no clue. I would have thought they'd want you in next week, but since Dreamer said you don't need to rush, then July 1st sounds reasonable. And I'd definitely fill them in on when you ovulated. I hate how they take a 28-day approach to every cycle, so yes, I agree they're gong to think you're further ahead than you are, but they'll figure it out soon enough.

Please keep us updated! As often as you want!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

LC I am going on a limb here, take or leave what I am going to say as you see fit ;)) -- cancel your July 1 appointment with the doctor.

Why? Because I think that it will be too soon in your pregnancy with your later ovulation for any clear answers at the doctor -- you would only be about 6 weeks which can be too early to see anything -- and so an u/s will only breed confusion since they will think you are actually closer to 7-8 weeks. The doctor will not respect or listen to you when you say you ovulated late, and then the doctor and nurses will start talking about miscarriage and unviable pregnancies and all that crap. Given your husband's reaction to your positive pregnancy tests, I cannot imagine how he will respond to that type of appointment.

I am really in the camp of little or no early monitoring unless there is good reason from your history. Unless you start cramping *really* painfully (period like cramps are normal), or start bleeding, there is no reason to see a doctor in the first trimester really. In Canada, you do not go see a doctor until about 10 weeks into your pregnancy. Unless you have a history of known issues -- or a test happy doctor who likes to bill insurance ;)) -- it is not the norm to have betas drawn either.

Of course, do what you like! But if you do keep the appiontment be aware that you will likely face a lot of pessimism about "measuring small" and all that rot.

As to your other questions, as a two times pregnant lady I can tell you: You do not need to change any of your regular activities at all, except no drugs or alcohol ;)) You do not need betas. You don't need much of anything for another month or two. If you have severe pain or cramping, call the doctor. If you start bleeding call the doctor. Otherwise, enjoy.

And another faint line on the wondfo means you are indeed pregannt missy! :tongue:

Lecture over.

charbie

Ideal_Rock

Im gonna ditto Dreamer. Betas are pointless unless you have a history of m/c or are bleeding. I know it feels like you need to "do something" now that you have a bfp. Instead, since pregnancy is pretty much a normal occurance at the dr office...the super early appointment ends up being anti-climactic. I felt better by using Wondofos and watching the line darken :). It's much less stressful to wait ib all honesty than go to an appt that raises more questions...been there...done that.

Sooooooooooo excited for you!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock

Lliang - you are not hogging the thread, we're all hogging it asking about you!
I'll just share my experience in case it helps - I live in NYC, so dr's are a bit proactive, but still laid back. With #1 I was obsessive and came in alot and asked for betas (which they gave). With #2, I let them call the shots since I was very relaxed this time around. I called in after BFP (on the CBE which to me CONFIRMS pregnancy ;)) and they said I could come in to confirm with a urine test. I said I'd rather just come in when they can do the u/s and they told me to come in at 6weeks then. I asked if this wouldn't be a bit early to see the h/b and they said no. So I went in at 5wks 6 days and they did find/see a h/b. Now I know others who didn't see it that early and would rather wait longer - but I pretty much knew my ovulation date so it worked out. They never mentioned betas and I didn't ask. With #1 I was constantly testing (you should have seen my drawer at work), but with #2 I figured if there was no major cramping/heavy bleeding all was good:). I am also one of those people who had minimal symptoms, so I don't read into that either.

And don't feel down about DH, mine also didn't believe the CBE because he thought it was crazy that one BD days before O would work! I just told him the digital didn't lie, and it's early so let's be cautious..but at this moment, yes I am pregnant.

Keep us posted! :appl:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Hey ladies!!!

NEL, yeah I'm thinking about some of us here that have longer cycles. What's better then? Lie to the doctor and tell them a "CD1" that's O-14? I'm thinking I might call the OB office back and say, "Oh, my bad, Did I say May 12th? I meant May 19th."

Dreamer, Thanks for your insight. See above paragraph, I might call the doctor back and push my appointment out a week or two weeks. I think it'd be worth while for my DH to see an heartbeat, since he's kinda been unsure. Thanks also for the discussion on activities etc. The OB's assistant called my house yesterday and I didn't get the message until the office was closed. So I'll try calling again today. I figured I can still go the gym. I usually do pilates, yoga and some weights. A tiny bit of cardio, but now that it's FINALLY nice (well, not counting the rain the past few days) I can start biking and running outside. :)

Charbie, thanks for weighing in on the appt date too. I think I will push it out. And the betas it's good to know that I don't need it. I guess if things go south, I'll get betas drawn.

Janine, wow, you #2 moms (you and dreamer) are so Zen about this. I'm so in awe. I'll try to remember to emulate the same, and just keep remember, no cramping, no bleeding, no problem.

------------
AFM, Acupuncture was fantastic. The acupuncturist was way happy I was pregnant. He said that where the needles will go is going to change now. He didn't want to put any in my legs because that draws the energy down, and we don't want that. So I had a few in my arms and the top of my head. As an aside, the Wondofo I took after acupuncture (right before bed) was CRAZY DARK! Well, not darker than the control line, but MUCH darker than the others. Even compared the the one I took this morning. How weird is that?

DH and I were walking the dog last night before bed and he said he was still skeptical. I have to admit I was a little put out by him saying that. But he said, that's great, and he's getting excited. I told him about the appt etc, he was like, "Hm, okay. July 1st, it'll probably be dead in the office, so a good time to take it off. If I'm not in FL (visiting his folks), I'll come to the appt with you." This is going to be something I need to talk to him about because I was put out by him saying that too. But anyway, I'm going to try to move the appt out a few weeks so I'll update him later.

After last night's walk I finally came up with a way to convince DH. I took a Wondofo last night before bed, which was much darker as I stated above. And I tested another one with tap water. Put the two together and left a note on the bathroom counter for him. He saw it this morning and was like, "Yay you're pregnant." No sh*t. That's what I've been trying to tell you. :rolleyes: It helped that the Wondofo was quite dark. The one I took this AM was back to a faint line, but my temps are still elevated. 98.4.

Anyway, that's it for me. Need to prep for a teleconference I lead in 15 mins!

~LC

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock

Well LC, I’m glad to hear your tap water is not pregnant too because I was about to get really jealous : ) I suspect your DH is just trying to protect both you and him from disappointment. My DH does that all the time, and he even told me that if I ever get a positive pregnancy test, I shouldn’t start jumping up and down until I take another one. He’s just cautious, and maybe your DH is the same way? But I’m glad your little wondfo experiment may have done the trick and it will start to sink in for him. I think it is a good idea to call your doctor and mention that you have been monitoring your cycles because they have been long, and you kept track of your BD’ing and temps, so you have a good idea of when you conceived, and see what they say. Again, I’m so excited for you! Keep us updated.

NEL, Katy, and Ally (and anyone else in the 2WW), my fingers are tightly crossed for you!

Monkey: Can I just say how brave you are for giving up the temps and OPKs?! How are you doing so far with that? Does it seem easier? I think your approach this cycle is a great compromise to both extremes and hopefully will result in a sticky bean! Yay for fertile signs and spontaneous BD'ing this weekend :bigsmile:

LC: Since it's now sinking in for you, CONGRATS! :appl: :appl: :appl: I love reading your posts and all the support that you give us so please don't ever feel that you're hogging the board. That is so interesting to hear about the acupunture session and darker test. I think the needles really help with the pressure points and help our hormones to flow more naturally. If this cycle is a bust, I'm excited to give it a try! As for your DH's reaction, I think it's normal for men to react that way. My DH's reaction was a half-asleep "oh really? Yay!" and then he went back to sleep. I think Dreamer's suggestion to push the appt out a little bit is a good one, so when they do the ultrasound when you're further along, your DH can see the heartbeat and it will finally make it more real for him. Re: beta testing - it had been awhile since I had been to the dr so they just wanted to do a blood test to check for everything including pregnancy, so beta testing may not be the norm. Please do keep us updated.

NEL and Katy: How are you ladies doing in Kerrrazy Town? I'm not in the TWW yet and I am obsessively analyzing whether or not my boobs hurt or if my cramps are ovulation pains. Are you testing Father's day?

Lizzy: How did the RE appt go? Hope you felt better about him/her than the last one.

SBA: How are you doing? Are you in the TWW?

Pancake: Did you get the testing done already? How did it go? Any news?

Sorry if I missed anyone.

AFM: Yesterday was possibly O day bc I had a big dip (97.12) and today had a rise to 97.66 (same range of first temp after O). I noticed a lot of cramps yesterday and had light pink spotting (felt like AF was coming). I've never felt like that on O before (or maybe I never paid attention). So I hope to have a few more high temps to finally confirm O. It would be great timing because I'll be in Hawaii and won't have to think about testing until I come back. I don't have much hope this cycle even though we BD O-3 through O day. Last night, I told DH, we're having goal-oriented BD'ing. He thought that was hilarious, and was umm ... very motivated, haha :cheeky:

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock

I am officially dipping a toe (or a pee stick? LOL) into this thread. Hubs and I are actively trying this cycle and I am using Wondfo OPK sticks. Not temping this time, but will be doing so next month if needed. I've been off the pill since February, I read TCOYF, and I have been taking my prenatal vitamins - I am as ready as I'll ever be, LOL. Based on cycle tracking since February, FF tells me that O is coming this weekend. I have had twinges and achiness in my lower left abdomen since Sunday, but CM has not totally changed yet. Waiting to pounce! :bigsmile:

Will try to keep up with everyone here as best as I can. I am a teacher on summer vacation now, so I have more time for PS!

Congrats on the BFP, LC! Good luck to all of you waiting out your two weeks - I know that will make me crazy! :twirl:

Welcome Mannequin! Hope your stay is short and sweet (like Marlie's)!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Welcome Mannequin! SOunds like you've got everything right for this first active TTC cycle. WELCOME! The folks are great on this thread and super knowledgeable. I'll keep writing about what I discover as well.

Ally, Goal orientated BDing. Some guys are Goal Orientated, so I hope your DH is. Ha ha. Sounds like you hit some pretty good BD timing, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. OMG Hawaii sounds AMAZING! And what a great way to blow through the 2WW too!

Lizzy, How was your appt, friend? I'm DYING to hear how it went, and what you think of this RE.

Pancake, did your blood work come back? What did your RE friend say?

NEL, Katy, SBA how's the 2WW? Anything?

~LC

amc80

Ideal_Rock

Random question of the day- does anyone know of gummy pre-natals that have iron? All of the ones I have seend don't have iron (sometimes it's even listed with 0 next to it). Gracias.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock

I'll be back later for more depth, but I'm hanging in there LC! Actually getting ready for tomorrow's trip to Chicago! Better Than Ezra is at the House of Blues and they're my favorite band! Hubby bought the tickets for my bday which is next week. And then we're staying at the Allerton Hotel! Ok, too many exclamation points but they never tour and I'm so happy :))

Hopefully the weekend will fly by and then by mid next week I'll know about this month's efforts. Can't bear to test until AF is due... Am I a bad TTCer or just strong-willed? Hah.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer/Janine/Charbie--I just want to say thank you for all of your helpful BTDT info! I know all of your "wait to schedule the appt." talk was for LC, but I definitely benefited from it. Especially since I do have long cycles (I didn't even O until CD28 this month, forget having a 28-day cycle). I think your advice to hold off on getting the bloodwork done will save me a lot of frustration with the doc and trying to explain my O date. As TTCers, we're so focused on getting that + pregnancy test that I think everything that comes after that can elude us!

LC, so interesting that you got your darkest test line after acupuncture. I agree with MP and Ally that your DH is probably just trying to protect you from any disappointment. Plus, I just don't think the early phases of pregnancy are "real" for men. I know it probably feels like he's being insensitive, but he's probably just cautious and maybe even a little scared. I'm not pregnant yet, but I even rolled my eyes at my husband when he told me my heartburn was probably just heartburn...I even said to him "you just don't get it".

So when are you doing the confirmation tests? Hmmmm? :devil:

MP, I hope you're not suffering from POAS withdrawl :)

Ally, maybe this month is the month of painful ovulation? I never get O cramps and got them this cycle. But like you said, I guess it could be a product of over-scrutinization. The good news is that it sounds like you Oed--I'm hoping your temps stay high! Also, yay for a motivated husband!

Mannequin, welcome!! Congrats on TTC, you're definitely on top of everything! Fingers crossed that you O this weekend as planned--MP mentioned yesterday that weekend Os are nicer than weekday Os because there is more time to BD and I agree. Though it sounds like you have the next couple of months off, which is fantastic! Enjoy it!

AFM, 7dpo and plugging along. No more heartburn and I'm not noticing any cramps, so my symptoms have disappeared for the day...which is fine by me. I wasn't putting any stock in them and I'd prefer to be heartburn and cramp free, anyway :) I am planning to test on Sunday because I have this fantasy in my head of getting a BFP on Father's Day. Normally I'd wait it out longer. My plan this cycle, though, is to use the Wondfo early pregnancy tests 1x per day starting at 10dpo. If I'm not pregnant, AF should show up a week from today.

I did get a temp drop (from 98.8 to 98.4) today, though that's still above the coverline. If my temp keeps going south, I'll know AF is imminent. If it goes back up, who knows.

ETA: Just saw your gummy prenatals question. Mine don't have iron, but my ob/gyn told me I only need the folic acid for now. Iron isn't needed until you're pregnant--she said the side effects (constipation, heartburn, etc.) aren't worth it when TTC. Am interested in other responses, though.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

LC If you want to keep the appointment then I would probabaly fib the dates like you suggested, better to be further along than not as far as they expect 8) I would not likely bother talking to them about your charting except in passing. In my experience, doctors and even midwives don't put much stock in it.

But as I said, I would likely push it back by 2 weeks. That would make you 8 weeks which is the perfect time to see an HB -- seeing one then emans much lower mc risk, wheras sooner it is not predictive -- and it would avoid any pessimism that your husband, in particular, does not need to hear and likely would react badly to. The first important testing -- blood work to test hemoglobin, blood type, and a dating or NT scan -- don't even have to happen until 10 -12 weeks along, so there is really no beenfit to going in early and IMO more possible drawbacks (remember poor Blackberries saga with early monitoring!).

But whatever you do, the end result is the same -- YOU ARE PREGNANT!!! :bigsmile:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

This thread is hopping! Sorry I've been MIA ladies, but I needed to take a break this month and enjoy the time off from TTC. This will be a long update to try to catch up with everyone but my little man is down for a nap so here it goes....

NEL, I also agree with Dreamer to avoid betas and any early testing in the beginning. You have no reason to believe there should be anything wrong so no need to put yourself thru the testing. The anxiety that builds while waiting for test results is just terrible and not good for you or baby so when that positive test comes your way just enjoy it and take it day by day! I will be thinking of you on Father's Day and hoping you get some good news!

Katy, I don't blame you for waiting it out on testing. Enjoy your time in Chicago and try not to think about it! I hope you get that sticky bean this cycle.

AMC, no advice on the gummy prenatals as I don't take them.

LC, I am super duper excited for you!!!! I'm glad your DH has finally accepted it too! I am sure he is just being cautious, but now that you proved it to him hopefully now he can start getting excited! I agree with Dreamer to not do any un needed testing at this point. There is no reason to believe there is a problem and all the tests just build anxiety. I think the acupuncture also helped in a huge way for you too to get your cycles more manageable you know? Congrats again!!!

Mannequin, welcome! I hope your stay is short and sweet here!!!

Ally, I like the goal oriented BD'ing! that's such a good way to put it! I hope O has come for you and then you can relax in Hawaii! So jealous. What part of Hawaii? We went to Maui for 2 weeks for our honeymoon almost 8 years ago. I'd love to go back again soon!

Brown eyes, thanks for popping in! Hope you are doing well!

Monkey, I hope your fertile time falls on a BD'ing accessible weekend!!!! Hoping for some good news for you this month!

I am so sorry if I missed anyone. I was so far behind, but I'm back with an update!

AFM, I had my new RE appt yesterday and she was AWESOME! She was reviewing my history and she just felt terrible for me that I have gone thru so many losses. She agreed that it is time to do some tests.

So here is what the plan is. My DH will go for a semen analysis, and some bloodwork. I will go for blood work for all my hormones etc to be checked and I will have an HSG where they shoot dye into your tubes etc to make sure there is no abnormalities. Has anyone had an HSG? I'm curious about it. My DH and I are going to start on a round of antibiotics after our vacation next week. She said sometimes it is possible to have early losses when one of the parents has an infection of some sort. I am also going to do a Clomid Challenge. What this means is that I will get blood drawn before using Clomid and then after. Doing this bloodwork gives them an idea of how many eggs I have left in my reserve. She said that sometimes, when the egg count is lower the quality of the eggs goes down. She said though that Clomid does NOT improve the quality of the eggs it just allows more to be released. She said after all the testing is done which will all start once I hit Day 1 which should be in about 2 weeks, we are going to have another sit down with her to review all findings. And at that point come up with a game plan. She said that if we do not want multiples, then she said skip Clomid. She said that I have excellent insurance and it will allow me to skip right to IVF if I choose to. She said that she honestly thinks that might be the best move for me because they will fertilize the eggs and watch them grow for 5 days and then implant the "cream of the crop" into me which may give me a better chance to carry full term. I'll be honest I'm a little scared of IVF, but we really want one more baby you know? The other thing she said is that if all tests come back clean, we could always give it one more go on our own. My Dh and I will have to discuss all of this but I really feel that she is proactive. She said that she may never find a reason why I've had so many losses, but she will do what she can to get me pregnant. I appreciated that view point. I'm still p'd off that the other RE didn't stop and do these tests about two losses ago, but it is what it is. My DH is too funny. I told him that he has to do the semen analysis, but he can do his business at home as long as we can get it to the lab within 30 minutes! Otherwise, he has to go to the lab to do his business. We are literally 30 minutes away but with traffic you never know. He seems to think he can do it though so we shall see! ha ha!!

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock

Lizzy - I am so, so glad your new RE seems to be so proactive and thorough, and genuinely concerned with getting you pregnant. There is nothing worse than working with a doctor who is dismissive when you are feeling frustrated and heartbroken.

I've had an HSG before. I know it can be extremely uncomfortable, even painful for some women, but my experience was actually quite painless. I was instructed to take some Advil before my appointment. I laid down on a table with a movable x-ray machine over me (it's big, so it's an intimidating looking contraption). The person performing it inserted a thin tube inside of me (slight pinching sensation, with a little pressure), and slowly pushed the dye through. It was interesting watching the dye flow through the tubes (you can see the screen as they're performing the procedure). The tubes are more twisty than I thought, and much more narrow (almost the width of a needle). They had me move a little to get a better angle, and I didn't like being able to feel the tube, but it didn't hurt. I had some very mild cramping afterward, but no spotting (I'd suggest bringing your own pantyliner...the dye that goes up, must also come down). All in all, a little awkward, but certainly not terrible. My tubes were not blocked - perhaps that's why my experience wasn't that bad...?

Ahhh...the SA. We did our initial one when seeing the OB close to home (so we collected at home). The results came back completely normal. When I went in for my first IUI with the RE (30 minute drive, plus a few extra to find parking, etc.). Collecting at home seemed to have resulted in greatly reduced motility (they were very, very slow). Lesson learned - DH collected his sample for our second IUI with the RE at the hospital. Count and motility were fantastic. Just our experience - don't want your husband feeling discouraged about poor results if it's simply a matter of too much time having lapsed.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lizzy wonderful news!! I am glad you are in good hands. Interesting about the Clomid. And I bet you will have even less pain with the HSG than parrot described because having had a baby, your cervix is more open than it would be for someone who has not had a baby. Fingers crossed for a clear and simple answer, eh?

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

AMC, I'm anemic so I need iron, but I agree with NEL. You really just need Folic Acid right now, so gummy prenatals should be enough.

Katy, Yay Chicago! That's where I am. I went up to Lake Geneva for a wedding last weekend. Hope you have a GREAT time at the show! What a sweetie DH you have to get you tix to your FAVORITE band. Do you need dinner recs or anything? Lemme know what you feel like :)) Mid week should be here before you know it! I guess I'm "lucky" to have a short LP (10 days). My "Don't test until AF is past due"isn't as long as the 2WW! Almost lucky me.

NEL, I'm so thinking of you this Sunday!Will it be a full 14 DPO by Sunday? Or are you cheating it up/cheating it back a little? Those Wondofos are so tempting lady. I've been doing two-a-day "confirmation" tests since Monday. No idea why.... Oh yeah because I'm insane

Dreamer, I called the doctors office to push back the appt. Problem is that the doc's in vacation after the 4th so I'll be pushed back more than just 2 wks. But I'm not too concerned.

Lizzy, WOW I'm so excited for you and this RE!!! Sounds like she's totally with you on what you want, rather than that old Terrible RE. Go you for sticking to your guns about Clomid. I hope you can get some tranquility with the full work up rather than the total blow off you were getting. And I like how the RE is focusing on getting you pregnant and staying pregnant. It might not be the answers you want (Why about the earlier losses), but you'll get your ultimate answer (a baby!). I don't have much to say about the procedures (SA or HCG) but Parrot has some wonderful insight. Maybe you can tease your DH that if you don't get to the RE in 30 mins, he's going to have to "man up" when he gets there. Ha ha!!! Honestly, 30 mins is NOT a lot of time if you have to deal with traffic...

~LC

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

Parrot tulips, thanks for filling me in. My RE also told me to take Advil before the appt, which had me a little worried about the pain. Does the catheter stay in the whole time or just for the initial push of dye into you? I'm hoping it isn't painful, but I keep telling myself that if I can give birth to a child then I can handle it! ha ha! Interesting about the semen analysis.... If we end up doing IVF, maybe I should have him go to the lab as it might be better. I'll ask about this at my next appt for sure. The RE highly doubts that he has a sperm issue because I am getting pregnant but she felt that it would be best to get the analysis done because they need that info to go forward with IVF. Thanks for the info!

Dreamer, I'm also hoping the HSG doesn't hurt that bad. She said they use a speculum with hurt a lot when I was pregnant so I'm sure the catheter is going to hurt a little. But honestly, I gotta do what I gotta do you know. The Clomid Challenge is going to be interesting. The thing that sucks though is that because I am doing the challenge with my next cycle, if we choose to try again naturally, it would be under the influence of Clomid. So the risk of multiples will be there. So I may end up having to take another month off to do the Challenge, complete all tests, and then move on. I know IVF is a major next step, but I feel like I have more control over that option versus the Clomid you know?

LC, yah I don't know if he's going to be able to get there in 30 minutes! He may have to rethink it. He also has to abstain for 2-3 days before doing the deed so if he doesn't get there in time, he's going to have to wait another 2-3 days! I think you were smart in moving out your appt lady. Just relax and take care of yourself. That's all you can do now.

AFM, I spoke with my mom today and she reminded me that my father had a similar dye test done for his heart last year and he had a MAJOR allergic reaction. Broke out in hives immediately, so they had to inject him to counter it. I tend to take after my father in terms of things I am allergic to, so I'm wondering if I should give my RE a call and give them a heads up and see what they say.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady|1308244208|2947565 said:
ETA: Just saw your gummy prenatals question. Mine don't have iron, but my ob/gyn told me I only need the folic acid for now. Iron isn't needed until you're pregnant--she said the side effects (constipation, heartburn, etc.) aren't worth it when TTC. Am interested in other responses, though.

Thanks. Multivitamins make me barf, literally. It wasn't until I started taking ones without iron that I could keep them down. I then started taking the gummies (not prenatal, just adult ones from Costco...also don't have iron) and found I actually take them almost every day...because they are yummy! So prenatal gummies seem like a great idea, because I can see myself actually taking them. I'm wondering if there's something about iron that they can't add them to the gummy vitamins? Maybe there's no way to conceal the taste?

amc80

Ideal_Rock

BTW, I just wanted to say how much I like this forum. I'm a member on a few other sites and it's night and day. People here are helpful, polite, and knowledgeable. And they type with complete words and pay attention to pesky things like grammar. It's really refreshing.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Amc, I totally agree how much it rocks here at the ttc thread on PS. The gummy vitamins are awesome. I'd probably over do them if o had them because the taste so good. I used to LOVE those fruit gummy lunch packets that kids get in packed lunches. Those gummy vitamins remind me of them.

Lizzy, wow abstain for 2-3 days too? I definitely think he should do it on site. Hope the doctor can let you know about allergies. Better to safer than sorry.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock

LC - I know you are! How funny that you were in WI the weekend before I go to Chicago! We have been quite a few times, so we have some faves and some places we want to try cause we haven't made it yet. We might hit up Blackbird for dinner, but we loved Le Colonial last time we did a swanky weekend! Thanks for the offer! I was going to suggest maybe meeting up for brunch then I thought about how awk that would be for the hubbies. "You met....because you tell everyone on this website how often we have sex and that you hope our genetic material is meeting and combining? :shock: ....Weird...."

:bigsmile: But do you have any suggestions for fave Saturday brunch places? We loooove us some brunch!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results