carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 11:11:56 AM
Author: Bia

We''re going to see Battery Gardens and some of the Abigail Kirsch venues. Trying to lock in a good price...we''ll see. Big, where did you have your reception?
I''ve seen a lot of people get married at Battery Gardens - it''s really lovely. I wanted my ceremony to be outside, so that''s what I focused on. I looked at both the Brooklyn and NY Botanic(al) Gardens, but they had minimums higher than the number of guests we wanted, along with some other stuff. We also consider the Tobacco Warehouse in Brooklyn, and a few other places. I saw websites for some great Hudson Valley locations, but with law school I just didn''t have time to spend my weekends traveling outside the city to go see these fabulous venues. But it all turned out well!!

Eventually we decided on the Bryant Park Grill (rooftop ceremony & cocktails, indoor reception). I couldn''t have been happier with how it turned out. The food was excellent - MUCH better than what I''d tasted at the restaurant itself (we heard rave reviews from friends and family), they honored all our special drink requests, and the staff took such good care of us. Plus it was really convenient for our guests from NY & NJ. We took some beautiful photos in the park beforehand. And as part of the package they provided us a suite in the hotel across the street for the wedding night - our families ended up staying in the hotel the night before and the night of, as well.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 11:38:59 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 7/13/2009 11:38:17 AM
Author: ckrickett

Date: 7/13/2009 11:26:35 AM

Pic of the litter (brother and sister) that''s too expensive
7.gif

/MELTS!!!!!

OMG Kittahkittah!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

They''re soooo precious. Sigh...
I know OMG I want a kiy but my SO doesnt want one... i think Ill just bring one home one day because he does LIKE them (everytime he sees one he is all like kittykitty its cute).

those tho...adorable overload!
holy cow I would drain my bank account... good lucks are you gonna get one?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 11:42:29 AM
Date: 7/13/2009 11:38:59 AM

Date: 7/13/2009 11:38:17 AM

Date: 7/13/2009 11:26:35 AM

Pic of the litter (brother and sister) that''s too expensive
7.gif

/MELTS!!!!!

OMG Kittahkittah!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

They''re soooo precious. Sigh...
I know OMG I want a kiy but my SO doesnt want one... i think Ill just bring one home one day because he does LIKE them (everytime he sees one he is all like kittykitty its cute).

those tho...adorable overload!

holy cow I would drain my bank account... good lucks are you gonna get one?

Definitely getting two, but probably (sadly) not those two. I''m in contact with some other breeders - but I''m hoping one of them will work out price-wise (they all have litters that could work). If I were getting these on my own, I''d take out extra loans probably and just get those two. Of course, BF would object.... and he IS buying one of them for me...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 11:40:47 AM
Author: TheBigT
Date: 7/13/2009 11:11:56 AM

Author: Bia

We''re going to see Battery Gardens and some of the Abigail Kirsch venues. Trying to lock in a good price...we''ll see. Big, where did you have your reception?

I''ve seen a lot of people get married at Battery Gardens - it''s really lovely. I wanted my ceremony to be outside, so that''s what I focused on. I looked at both the Brooklyn and NY Botanic(al) Gardens, but they had minimums higher than the number of guests we wanted, along with some other stuff. We also consider the Tobacco Warehouse in Brooklyn, and a few other places. I saw websites for some great Hudson Valley locations, but with law school I just didn''t have time to spend my weekends traveling outside the city to go see these fabulous venues. But it all turned out well!!

Eventually we decided on the Bryant Park Grill (rooftop ceremony & cocktails, indoor reception). I couldn''t have been happier with how it turned out. The food was excellent - MUCH better than what I''d tasted at the restaurant itself (we heard rave reviews from friends and family), they honored all our special drink requests, and the staff took such good care of us. Plus it was really convenient for our guests from NY & NJ. We took some beautiful photos in the park beforehand. And as part of the package they provided us a suite in the hotel across the street for the wedding night - our families ended up staying in the hotel the night before and the night of, as well.

BigT, have you already graduated? What are you up to now?

I love the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens...I think the problem with us on that one was it had some serious numbers minimum that we couldn''t afford. Did you take a look at the Palm House? I love that location - it''s beautiful. For a Sat. evening wedding though, the min guest number would drive the cost way past our projected budget, sadly.

I know it''s a little ridiculous that BF and I have already researched all these venues online...we won''t even be getting engaged for at least another 2 years, maybe 3! Gah, job deferrals.....

princesss

Ideal_Rock
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/brain explodes

That is all.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Well I don''t see how kittens can get any cuter then that. But I do hope you get the little darlings of your dreams.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
BEG - Nope, I haven't graduated yet! Going into my 3rd year (so are you, right?). I'm feeling a little burnt out, so I'm not sure how this year is going to go or what I really want to do when I graduate. Sigh! I wish the job market were better so I could at least feel like there were options... [ETA: and are you in NY??]

Princesss -- you ok?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 11:50:48 AM
Author: princesss
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/brain explodes

That is all.
Messy!
38.gif

What''s up princesss? Rough day?
15.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
What''s wrong princesss?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

/brain explodes

That is all.
780920wevc3spomh.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 11:53:29 AM
BEG - Nope, I haven''t graduated yet! Going into my 3rd year (so are you, right?). I''m feeling a little burnt out, so I''m not sure how this year is going to go or what I really want to do when I graduate. Sigh! I wish the job market were better so I could at least feel like there were options... [ETA: and are you in NY??]

Princesss -- you ok?

I am! Are you? yeah, the job market is rough- I remember now that you''re a rising 3L too. Are you at a firm this summer?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

/brain explodes

That is all.

What''s wrong hun???? Are you ok?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I''m okay. I''m just having a rough day, and I keep getting issues from other people''s customers. Big, pain in the butt issues from other people''s customers. But they don''t have their phones turned on (umm, we''re in CUSTOMER SERVICE. How do they not have their phones on????) so I get the stupid calls. And then I''ve got one customer that I''m convinced makes up reasons to call me. "Is this scheduled? It shouldn''t be scheduled. No, you didn''t schedule it yet, just like I asked. But they should have called! But no, don''t schedule it. Oh and also, let me ask the SAME QUESTION I''ve asked you EVERY DAY for the PAST TWO WEEKS. Because I forgot the answer. Again." He calls at least 5 times a day. And combining him and the other customers I don''t normally deal with where I''m having to dive into the middle of complex issues because their reps can''t be bothered to turn off their iPod and turn on their phone is....well, a little frustrating.

Plus the girls I''m no longer hanging out with seem to not have gotten the point yet, and that stresses me out. I was hoping that by not speaking to them at all for a month would have made my point, but then one of them called on Saturday and wanted to hang out because she had a bad week. Which of course made me feel a little guilty, but it''s better for my sanity to not be around her anymore. I''m relatively happy with my life right now, and I end up stressed out for DAYS after just talking to her. It''s a week + if I spend time with her. Right now I''m friends with real, live grown ups. People in steady relationships, focused on their careers, active, funny, good people. Not people that are stuck in high school and want to get stoned, listen to bad music, and talk about how "blessed" they are to have a good body, and how they''re the cute girl at work that all the married guys want.

And M still hasn''t found a "grown-up job" yet, and that''s stressing me out. We don''t know what our next move will be, and that''s stressing me out. And he doesn''t know what schools he can get into because he hasn''t taken the LSAT yet, and that stresses me out. And the fact that he wants law school while I want to go abroad is stressing me out - how can he bring a law degree overseas? He''s looking at a combination Urban Development and JD program, and I have no idea if we can use that when we move or not! ARGH.

So yes. I exploded a little. Better here than on my customers, right? Sorry if the splatter got you guys.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Princesss are you still doing 30 day shred?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Awww princesss. I''m sorry you are having one of those stressful days. I hate those! Venting always seems to help though. ***HUGS***

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, big hugs, princesss! Does your supervisor notice that you''re carrying the workload of these slackers? I hope someone is aware of how much you''re busting your butt when others are keeping their phones off.

One thing that might help resolve the JD/going overseas thing: a couple of friends of mine who were in my class during my (brief) stint in law school ended up doing summer studies abroad instead of getting a job back at home. One now has an LLM and works in China, and the other is doing something in Geneva (not working as an attorney exactly, but the JD helped?). I don''t know if that''s something M would do, but it could be a potential solution.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
So I had a great birthday on Friday! We went to a local garden which we LOVED!!! They also happen to have weddings there so we were scouting it out a bit. Lovely gardens!!! They have 2 garden tents for the receptions which we went inside. Just a gorgeous place! Only issue is you can hear the traffic from the road from certain locations at the gardens but there was one location which I loved so much that was quiet because of a creek next to it. Took TONS of photos. I''ll bring them tomorrow (they are at home) and share some of the beautiful place with you all!

Oh, and there is somethin eating away at me currently (not bad)...made a whole thread about it if you have any thoughts. I''d love to hear! lol

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Oh princesss I''m sorry you''re having such a stressful day. **hugs**

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the support, guys. I just got another major issue put on my desk (from one of my own customers this time) so I''m going to be even MORE stressed. Yaaaay.

Misskitty, that helped BIG TIME. Thank you! He generally hates going somewhere without me (which I do love about him), but we''ve done summers apart before, and if it would help us move overseas, I''m all for it. That''s a great option I hadn''t realized was possible. Thank you thank you.

Okay, off to my hidey hole.

P.S. Glad you had a good birthday, DG.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Princesss - also a lot of US-based firms have offices abroad (Europe, Asia). Apparently it''s easier to get a job right now in some of the Asian offices. Not sure what you need to do to practice abroad (bar admission equivalent, or whatever), but it''s definitely a possibility.

BEG - Fabulous! I thought you were in the midwest, for some reason. Are you enjoying summer firm life?

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
the dress?
here it is on me. nevermind the poopy face i am making. my mom has a knack for moving the camera right when she is taking a picture when i am making a bad face. go figs.

oh my mom said the BEST thing while dress shopping
"honey, i know this is bad to say..but the girl next to you just did not look good in any of the dresses"

i love my mom.

ahskdhakshdka.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks princesss!

jcar- IS that lace I see in that gown?!? It looks beautiful!!!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
princess

*hug* for your day.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 1:13:52 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Thanks princesss!

jcar- IS that lace I see in that gown?!? It looks beautiful!!!
thanks. i really like it, but am going to try a few more on. i love the lace look.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
Happy afternoon everybody!!
35.gif

SO MUCH STUFF happening on our board today I can''t possible catch up.

Elle-gorgeous rings :)

Jcarly-gorgeous dress

DG-happy belated birthday and I''m so glad it was a good one

princesss-big hugs to you and extra dust to get you through your work day and i have some duct tape here if you want

lilac-those kittens are so squeezable its no wonder youre over the moon about them.

I know that only covers about 1/3 of what happened this morning, but I just can''t keep up with y''all
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 1:11:54 PM
Princesss - also a lot of US-based firms have offices abroad (Europe, Asia). Apparently it''s easier to get a job right now in some of the Asian offices. Not sure what you need to do to practice abroad (bar admission equivalent, or whatever), but it''s definitely a possibility.

BEG - Fabulous! I thought you were in the midwest, for some reason. Are you enjoying summer firm life?

Only in NYC for the summer! I''m in Chicago for law school actually, so you''re right. I''m really liking it, although today is kind of a stressball day. How about you? What are you up to?

Princesss, I''m so sorry you''re having such a crappy day. Hang in there, girl. And yes, dittoing BigT. I know Duke has a JD/LLM program - I have a friend who is doing that and she did a summer stint in Geneva her 1L summer. And I know at least one Japanese firm hires US (and Australian, etc.) JDs to work as Foreign Attorneys. So jobs are out there.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. One problem is solved (hooray for easy solutions, and customers that make you feel like a genius), and I''m just waiting on a response for my crazy issue. So I''m breathing a little easier.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
jcar- Yes! I LOVE lacy gowns. I think there is something so romantic and elegant about them!

Topo- Thank you! You must be having a very happy afternoon with that new sparkly ring on hand?
31.gif

Brown.Eyed- I love Chicago! I''m so jealous. Have you gone onto the new glass boxes at the Sears Tower yet?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
BEG, I''d love it if he could get into Duke. We''d both prefer Virginia, but Duke is one of the MBA programs I''m considering, so that would work out nicely! I guess I just stress over things and instead of researching the options (like a JD/LLM degree), I panic. Basically, moving overseas is my biggest goal. I don''t care about what I do as much as I care where I do it. And BF is happy to move overseas with me, I just panic at any indication that we may not be able to go.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
work exploded. crazy busy.

and only 3 hours passed
29.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results