shape
carat
color
clarity

Suddenly, I think I''m in the process of buying my ring!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
The days of hoping and dreaming are done, now is the time for action.
Over the next little while I''m going to buy my ring (With my BF''s full approval and blessing) - Eeek ! I''m so excited.

I think I''m going to try on settings today, to get an idea of desireable band width etc.

I''ll keep you posted!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like fun! Can''t wait to see what you select.
1.gif

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, so exciting!

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! It''s such a big step let us know what you decide.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
how exciting! enjoy it :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mary Poppins, KittyGolightly, DucklovingVegan and Maevie!

I have been stalking a specific stone online as "my rock" for several months now and recently I''ve noticed it has been suggested by PSers to other posters on rockytalky a few times. Yesterday I realised I would be deeply unhappy if someone bought my starter diamond out from under me
29.gif
. My BF currently has no money for a ring, and up until now I''ve been content to wait until he saves up, but with the prospect of the loss of my stone I realized that my personal financial situation is actually pretty good
12.gif
, and I can afford to buy an engagement ring myself. So now I''m in that process
9.gif
(BF says he''ll pay me back later or something). BF and I thoroughly discussed and had some realy touching and heartfelt moments - it was all warm and Fuzzy.

Today BF went out with me to check out settings to get an idea of band with and profile preferences. First we went to a few mall stores which were disapointing - lots of boring stock settings with spiky tall peg head diamond mounts - bleh (the bands were all at least 4mm wide-which looks realy wide on my narrow fingers). We saw a "special" canadian diamond with "100 facets so it sparkles more" uh... (0.51 H SI2 RB in 18k for $3000 - PS brings up a stone like that for $850ish and Imagine the mounting is worth about $500).
BF thought that the 1ct diamonds looked too gaudy on my little paw (tee hee).

Then we headed over to a local B&M store and tried on some Verragio and Tacori (both far more delicate than they look online!) and decided we liked around 2mm shanks and lower 4 prong settings. There was a realy slim attractive platinum setting made by Maple Leaf diamonds that we really liked - but I''m not sure I''d be able to get it where I buy my stone.

So far so good
1.gif

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you for taking matters into your own hands. You don''t want someone else to swoop in on your diamond.

The Tacori settings are amazing in real life. I don''t remember whether I tried on any Verragio, but I think the photos of them are gorgeous as well. Have fun shopping!!!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori settings are very pretty... as I''m waiting for mine to arrive. :) congrats!!!

so did you buy the diamond?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I picked out a nice platinum stuller solstice setting for my teeny AVC cushion.

454solstice1.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Wow! that came out tiny. ---> Trying again.

454stullersolstice2.jpg

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty and classic!

Did you already purchase the stone? If so, do you mind linking to the GOG page?
1.gif

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi KittyGolightly and Beezygal,

I will as soon as the paperwork has gone through
2.gif

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats....I know you have wanted it for a while. I have an AVC too...you will LOVE it!!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I just got back from wiring the cash
22.gif
- Astonishingly the easiest part of this process!

Drooling over settings and stones for a year was a lot of fun, but actualy making decisions was much harder work than I expected. After trying on rings, I was surprised to find that the basket heads I thought I liked were actually too tall for my taste.

A word to the shy ladies out there: Try on rings !! Don't pick by sight alone. Although I've been drooling over rings for over a year, I was quite shy, so I only tried on rings yesterday, and discovered some unexpected things about my taste in settings.

All this time I had been wanting a bezel, but BF thought they looked too enclosed- smothering the diamond, so no bezel ! (I was shocked that he wasn't a fan of the James Meyer stuff I liked).

So far so good!

Nkarma: Yeah, I've been in love with them ever since they were first released
30.gif
I'm super excited to finally see mine in person
9.gif

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Congrats hopedream! Your ring looks beautiful and classic.. I can''t wait to see it on your finger!
36.gif

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo awesome! it will be gorgeous. now that you''ve paid for it, can we see it? hehe

getting excited

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! What a fun process. When you get it, then do you have to wait for him to propose?! i would go crazy knowing that my ring was being held hostage by the bf :)

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 9:25:05 PM
Author: HopeDream
I just got back from wiring the cash
22.gif
- Astonishingly the easiest part of this process!

Drooling over settings and stones for a year was a lot of fun, but actualy making decisions was much harder work than I expected. After trying on rings, I was surprised to find that the basket heads I thought I liked were actually too tall for my taste.

A word to the shy ladies out there: Try on rings !! Don''t pick by sight alone. Although I''ve been drooling over rings for over a year, I was quite shy, so I only tried on rings yesterday, and discovered some unexpected things about my taste in settings.

All this time I had been wanting a bezel, but BF thought they looked too enclosed- smothering the diamond, so no bezel ! (I was shocked that he wasn''t a fan of the James Meyer stuff I liked).

So far so good!

Nkarma: Yeah, I''ve been in love with them ever since they were first released
30.gif
I''m super excited to finally see mine in person
9.gif
that''s so true. Last year, I told a girlfriend I went to the store to try out some rings with my bf... and you know what she said?

GF: i don''t know what the salesperson think when you were trying out rings with your bf.... I wouldn''t try ''cuz ppl might think I''m desperate to get married or something
(I was thinking.. I can''t believe you just said that. She was totally rubbing it on my face.)
Me: my bf just wants to know what I like
GF: well... I hope my bf will know what to get... he better get the right one since we''ve been together for so long
Me: maybe you guys should shop for the ring together... lots of couples are like that
GF: i don''t want ppl or him to think I''m desperate

omg.. she''s hinting I''m desperate. Oh well... at least, my bf already bought the diamond and ordered the setting I want... she''ll just keep on waiting... HOPING her bf will get it right.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Paveprinces: Aww thanks
5.gif
! I promise I''ll post handshots as soon as I''m proposed to.

Happynewlife: I''m glad you like it
9.gif
! as soon as gog confirms they''ve recieved payment I''ll post a link to
Getting excited: I think when I recieve the shipped ring, I''m going to give it to him unopened to preserve some of the magic on his end of things. So yeah I''ll have to be very patient. Luckily BF is ready to be engaged so I shouldn''t be waiting very long.

Beezygal: I agree that it''s a little risky of your friend to just trust her BF''s judgement without even trying anything on - I guess that''s why jewellers sell temporary settings.

I think there''s definately cultural baggage about trying on rings - you don''t want to start to early and jinx things or scare your partner off, and it''s best not to start too late in case your intended has already purchased something. Then there''s the issues of sticker shock, and implied timelines (ie ring browsing = engagement asap -->not always).
I think it would be realy fun to try on rings with a group of BFFs or fellow LIWs (all my close friends are out-of-towners
7.gif
)

I''m not sure when my ring will be ready (I think GOG is getting busy right now due to spring/summer engagement season), and then shipping will probably take at least a week due to my Canadian location. I''m starting a new job this week and BF goes off to a conference for all of next week so I think it will be at least 2 weeks until anything exciting happens, and more like a month.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
my friend and her bf has a 2 year plan.. like get married in 2 years.. so.. obivous, they know they''ll get married... oh well...

nice.. I''m from Canada too.. :)

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
EEEKKK!!! This is so exciting! I absolutely love AVC''s! Even though you haven''t posted the link, I''m pretty sure I know which AVC you purchased. I have been stalking the list of AVC''s available for at least a month and I noticed one of them that was in mine and FF''s budget was missing yesterday. I wonder if it is your''s, or if someone else got that one? I would be getting really antsy for the next few weeks to hurry up if I were you!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Beezygal - Hmm! If they know they''re going to get hitched then there is no reason not to go and try on rings! I can see why her inactivity is puzzleing.

MayFlowers - I''m sorry if I ended up buying one of your potential stones. I''ve been stalking AVCs since they first came out, and am very pick about what I want the ASET to look like as well as what color and clarity I want for my e-ring (I''m quite color sensative). I hope your other stones are also good contenders.

Okay, given that my setting is all picked out, I''ve recieved my final invoice, and my wire transfer has been initiated and will be completed by tomorrow. I guess it''s safe to link to my stone. (I have this irrational fear that somehow the stone is going to be sniped out from under me at the last minute
40.gif
- I''ve had a little too much Ebay methinks
25.gif
)

Here is a link to my stone 0.77 F VS2 GOG August Vintage Cushion Swoon!!! (The perfect starter diamond!)
5.gif

And here''s a video of it next to a lovely rock I wouldn''t mind as an upgrade (One day when I am a rich lady)- Thanks Jon!

As you can see, both stones have very nice ASETs and have high clarity and colour, but I couldn''t afford the larger stone (and my BF thinks larger rocks are gaudy).
Maybe someone else will give it a temporary home until we both upgrade at the same time
11.gif
? like the diamond version of musical chairs!

I love my teeny AVC - it''s just so crisp and clean looking
30.gif
(and I haven''t even met it in person yet!) Not a honking stone, but definately a Beeper !
9.gif

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
It''s lovely. The color is going to be blinding white!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
That is the one of the one's I had looked at! But don't worry, BF and I are far far away from purchasing anything due to financial problems. As much as I love AVC's, I think I am going with a RB for my e-ring anyways. So, you definitely did not buy one of my potential stones. I can't wait to see your pictures of it. I'm sure it will be stunning! I'm going to watch the video of it now though!

ETA: I always stalk the AVC stock because I just can't decide if I want a RB or an AVC for my ring. So, I watch it just in case one comes up that I just fall in love with. I can't tell you how many times I have watched one of Jon's videos that compares the AVC with an RB. Both are sooo beautiful and I really just don't know which I would like better on my finger!
3.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone HopeDream, I hope you wont be waiting long to get it on your finger.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Awesome news!!! I''m so excited for you and the next chapter of your life with your bf!!! I can''t wait to see it when you get the ring!!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been waiting for a picture of/link to your new AVC! It is gorgeous! I love the AVC''s, and I think you picked one that is near perfection.

If this is your starter diamond, I can''t wait to see your upgrade...

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
KittyGolightly - I''m glad you like the stone
5.gif
. I''m quite color sensitive and I wanted something crisp and white for an engagement stone. I think lower colors are delicious too, but more in a RHR way. One of the settings I tried on was set with an F and I loved the icy look.

Mayflowers - I hope your fortunes improve soon
1.gif
! I know what you mean about not being able to decide between two vey different cuts - for about three months I was torn between wanting an AVC and wanting a square cushion hearts and arrows, but in the end I decided bold flashes of fire was the most imprtant feature for me above brilliance and scintilation. I''m sure you''ll know your perfect stone when you see it.

4ever - Aww thanks
5.gif
I hope I won''t be waiting long either. Bf doesn''t seem to be inclined to make me wait - I told him about how some guys like to wait for a special occasion and he said that that was a form of silly procrastination, so we''ll see..... I hope you get to wear your amazingly gorgeous ring soon too!!!

Luckyeshe - Thank you, I''m excited too. I''m very ready to have a fiance and be a fiancee
36.gif
. I promise I''ll post pics as soon as I get the ring.

IndyLady - I''m glad you think my new AVC is a winner. I''m super picky about what I like in an ASET, but also about colour, so I was pleasantly surprised to find one that fit both my criteria
9.gif
. The upgrade won''t be for at least 5 years and maybe longer.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies,
The money has gone through and my account is paid in full ( Yay!), but I''m not sure on the timeline for the ring - I expect GOG will keep me posted as they have been every step of the way. Given the amount of traffic on Rocky Talky right now about AVCs, and the beginning of spring/summer engagement season, I''m sure their store is quite busy.

I''m guessing it will take at minimum a week to make (oredering ring parts, fabrication and setting) provided there aren''t too many other rings in the queue and then "overnight" international shippping to Canada will probably take 5 buisness days to go through customs. So I''m thinking two weeks minimum to my doorstep (and probably longer).

In the mean time......... Shameless tinfoil and twist-tie mock-up time!
33.gif
23.gif
9.gif

My stone is aproximately 5mm square (but realy a cushiony shape and not tinfoil ), my setting will have a tapered 2.5mm wide shank instead of the 3mm twist-tie.

Tee hee
25.gif
5.gif
9.gif

454mockring1.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
In my area the average stone size is about .3 - .5 cts so my ring will look fairly sizeable.

(Time to get a camera with better macro. 2005 macro just can't kep up!
20.gif
)

454mockring2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results