shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...which is not to say that Gene's stones posted above are not lovely - they are indeed quite beautiful.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No sooner had I said that I've only ever seen "the real deal" type of Paraiba stones in light blue, LD on a different thread, posted pics of a dark blue - like a sapphire blue - Paraiba! Live and learn. While I think its an awesome and rare stone for sure and love that blue, it still doesn't look to have the same level of glow that the lighter blue has...but that's just me, I suppose.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that I would not use the term Paraiba for that stone. However, the way the green blends into the blue is just fascinating.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I dunno guys, someone bought it already!

I think Gene's descriptions are pretty accurate, sometimes more so than his pics.

Some lucky person will get to take a look at it. :appl:

I hope whoever (whomever?) bought it, will post pics . . . :naughty:

I love big stones like this, especially well cut ones. :love: Usually we see big stones that are cut kinda meh . . .

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Someone beat me to it last night. Please post pics!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For somebody who wants screaming colour and loves cabochons but has a tight budget and doesn't mind inclusions. I would verify with MC that the stone structurally sound. I spot 2 lines forming an almost wedge or pie shape that might pose a setting risk.
2.78 ct measuring 9 x 8 x 4 mm for $133
www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1119673493

b_sn10429ae.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Didn't a PSer buy a stone from that spinel cab lot? I seem to remember something, vaguely. I clearly remember drooling over them!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet I know who bought the Gene tourm, as she has a hard time turning down beauty when she sees it. Now I'll have to see if I can figure out whether she bought it! :naughty:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1382947083|3545967 said:
Interesting. I agree that that stone does not look like a Paraiba to me. I use the terms cuprian or copper bearing pretty loosely, but I reserve the term Paraiba for those stones with copper content which exhibit very strong to vivid saturation, and have the glow that makes them appear lit from within. While there are copper bearing stones of many colors, the only stones I've seen that I would classify as "Paraiba" due to the glow and saturation of color, happen to have been the "pool water blue" coloration. Imo, while pretty, Gene's stone would not rise to the level of a Paraiba- like stone.
Yeah, I feel like it's used more as a marketing term here.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1382981672|3546202 said:
minousbijoux|1382947083|3545967 said:
Interesting. I agree that that stone does not look like a Paraiba to me. I use the terms cuprian or copper bearing pretty loosely, but I reserve the term Paraiba for those stones with copper content which exhibit very strong to vivid saturation, and have the glow that makes them appear lit from within. While there are copper bearing stones of many colors, the only stones I've seen that I would classify as "Paraiba" due to the glow and saturation of color, happen to have been the "pool water blue" coloration. Imo, while pretty, Gene's stone would not rise to the level of a Paraiba- like stone.
Yeah, I feel like it's used more as a marketing term here.

Probably so - I might be tempted to say something along the lines of comparing it to a Paraiba if I were trying to sell a stone...

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot the details:

Gemstone Type Moonstone
Weight in Carats 18.93
Length in Millimeters 18.5
Width in Millimeters 13.5
Depth in Millimeters 10
Cutting Style Oval
Cut By Not known
Clarity VS
Cutting Quality Excellent
Enhancement Not enhanced

Price: $1550.00

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour of moonstones are always strongly enhanced on a dark background. Having it on skin is the best gauge of its true colouration. I was hoping to see the eye move left and right, and open/close but alas, it was the camera that moved, not the moonstone.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Fascinating stone, still.

airdancer

Rough_Rock
This gemfix sapphire looks so romantic! But I like sparkle more than glow for sapphires.

Sapphire Oval Modified Brilliant Cut
Weight: 1.68cts
Measurements: 7.8x5.8mm, depth 4.3mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2850.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1155
Description: Mmmm! Bright medium blue, silkiness makes it glow! Certified unheated. Eye clean, beautifully cut, holds its color in even low lighting. AGL lab report included. Closest Pantone Color Card: 2736C (Cut by Andrew Gulij)

sapphire_blue_1155_a.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I know I'm not posting a gem, but I just had to share somewhere----I'm besides myself doing the project dance now.

Just finalized plans to set my GOG W-X diamond--into a bezeled beaded edge pendant.
My ruby--going into a floral setting by an Etsy vendor.
A sapphire--TBA!
And a natural pearl and diamond pendant.

I've been meanine to set the new tourm. but somehow the settings for everything else fell into place first. SO exited! :appl: I haven't set anything new in ages (at least 2 years I think) so I am really looking forward to these pieces.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
airdancer: that is a most excellent color. In fact, I can't imagine a nicer blue. :love: But I hear you on the sparkle vs. glow issue.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux said:
JewelFreak|1383570950|3550028 said:
Wild Fish Gems, Burmese, 5.68 ct, just listed for $12,500. Pony up!
http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10826/17620

I just wish I could tell whether it was really translucent at all or just opaque... :confused:

Minou, Ed says in the listing that it's "semi-translucent.....not opaque." Could be not translucent enough for some, would have to see it IRL. The star is so well defined & centered, I love that about it. For that price, though, one would hope the stone is perfect!

Airdancer, I looked at that sapphire yesterday -- what a gorgeous color. If I were looking for one, I'd have to take a RL look at it. It's just too wonderful a hue not to!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Indylady, I can't wait to see pictures of what you are setting, especially the ruby as I think it is a wonderful color. If you don't mind me asking, which etsy vendor are you using for setting your ruby?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1383821660|3552103 said:
minousbijoux said:
JewelFreak|1383570950|3550028 said:
Wild Fish Gems, Burmese, 5.68 ct, just listed for $12,500. Pony up!
http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10826/17620

I just wish I could tell whether it was really translucent at all or just opaque... :confused:

Minou, Ed says in the listing that it's "semi-translucent.....not opaque." Could be not translucent enough for some, would have to see it IRL. The star is so well defined & centered, I love that about it. For that price, though, one would hope the stone is perfect!

Airdancer, I looked at that sapphire yesterday -- what a gorgeous color. If I were looking for one, I'd have to take a RL look at it. It's just too wonderful a hue not to!

Yeah, I saw that and it confused me. Either something is translucent or its opaque. Feel like he's trying to split the baby. Its way too pricey for me given what it at least appears to be. :(sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think in the case of star sapphires and rubies, they are best viewed with a video. It's hard to see translucency in a stationary image. It is also easier to see how the star moves and looks as well in a video, under a single light source.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
airdancer|1383799695|3552001 said:
This gemfix sapphire looks so romantic! But I like sparkle more than glow for sapphires.

Sapphire Oval Modified Brilliant Cut
Weight: 1.68cts
Measurements: 7.8x5.8mm, depth 4.3mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2850.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1155
Description: Mmmm! Bright medium blue, silkiness makes it glow! Certified unheated. Eye clean, beautifully cut, holds its color in even low lighting. AGL lab report included. Closest Pantone Color Card: 2736C (Cut by Andrew Gulij)

sapphire_blue_1155_a.jpg
Dude. This matches my car and my shoes....

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to point out the latest of Gene's garnets, it's a color change stone.

I have a stone of the same material, that I bought from ebay around 2 years ago, and it is cool stuff. Mine goes from tan to reddish pink and it's fun to see it change all the time. But I think the best part is the high refractive index, over 1.7. It shoots out sparks from red, to blue, to silver. Very pretty material! :appl:

So, I think it's worth it for someone to check out Gene's stone in real life, if you're into something a little unusual.

Gene's info:
http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/Gemstones/rapidcart/orangegarnet.html

Gem 1477 - Imperial Garnet
4.01 ct. Imperial Garnet from Lindi Tanzania. This stone is from a recent find just a few years ago. Measures 11.29 x 9.25 mm. The color shifts as do all garnets, this one going more pink in incandescent light, and this salmon color in daylight. A very nice sized stone. There is an article in the GIA about these stones HERE. http://w2009.gia.edu/research-resources/gems-gemology/issues/summer2012-contents/summer-2012-featured-gni.html

1477.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I've had a few people ask me about where I got my mahenge spinel pair and my little mahenge cushion from, so I thought I would post this. Yvonne recently got what I believe is supposed to be the final small parcel of mahenges from the juicy "older" material that my pieces came from, and she posted pics of it on FB today. I'm going to post a couple of the pics she posted here. If anyone is interested just search for her etsy store using her name (Yvonne Raley) or get store name, CecileRaleyDesigns.

And yes, I bought another little one (another cushion...not the one in these pics but very similar. I'm so addicted to these, it's really terrible).

Here's a link to her FB page where there are lots of pics and further info about the parcel.

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.626776857369070.1073741828.163525823694178&type=1&__user=1444873989

_12067.jpg

_12068.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1384998017|3560213 said:
I've had a few people ask me about where I got my mahenge spinel pair and my little mahenge cushion from, so I thought I would post this. Yvonne recently got what I believe is supposed to be the final small parcel of mahenges from the juicy "older" material that my pieces came from, and she posted pics of it on FB today. I'm going to post a couple of the pics she posted here. If anyone is interested just search for her etsy store using her name (Yvonne Raley) or get store name, CecileRaleyDesigns.

And yes, I bought another little one (another cushion...not the one in these pics but very similar. I'm so addicted to these, it's really terrible).

Here's a link to her FB page where there are lots of pics and further info about the parcel.

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.626776857369070.1073741828.163525823694178&type=1&__user=1444873989

There is no question that these stones appear to be a very well saturated and lovely color if the photos are representative. But the thing that would drive me crazy in those stones is the shadowing - or huge area of extinction that almost every stone exhibits. Sigh. Once upon a time, pre-PS, windows and extinction were phenomena that just didn't bother me. But now its like a big neon sign is blinking in front of me - I just can't miss it...

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Minous - you're definitely right about that aspect. But it's so hard to find material in this color and in a price range that works for me; it's something I can overlook on these. I had thought about having my cushion retouched a bit by a precision cutter, as I think if it just had a few extra facets it might help with the extinction...but I really don't know that for sure, and it's small enough as it is, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results