shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My worry would be that it would be darker in real life, what do you think?

I think that's a completely justified concern. I agree, this is probably how the stone looks in bright overcast conditions. The seller's description seems pretty forthright in admitting that at most you are going to get rich green flash indoors. So you have to be willing to make that tradeoff.

However, my neophyte understanding of Chrome tourmaline is that it tends toward the dark. So some who might really like Chrome Tourmaline might be those whose tastes slice toward the over-saturated. There are also those whose tastes will accept an over-saturated stone from time to time if its really beautiful when its at its best, and if it comes at a bargain. I would personally make the tradeoff, since I love a very rich green and go less gaga for mint.

So, while I think it could be lovely, its probably not for everyone...

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Exactly what CC just said. Not everyone likes the same thing.

Off topic, but I have two Tsavorites in my collection. One is "medium" which seems to be what a lot of people around here prefer, and another which is medium-dark to dark. It is true that in a lowly-lit environment, the lighter stone glows wheras the darker one blacks out....

But, in any situation where there is more lighting than a dimly-lit room, I will take the darker one any day of the week!!

Too bad the medium one is 2.49ct and the dark one is only 1.18ct. I would switch them around in a second!!

If I didn't already have a Chrome Tourmaline set, I would have snagged this one.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
I'm the seller of the chrome tourmaline - thanks for mentioning my stone in this thread! CC and ChrisA, you guys have it exactly right - it is a dark stone, and it is only for those who can live with that. But, when it is at its best, it IS gorgeous and it IS a bargain (if you consider I paid twice the asking price for it). The right buyer will be so enamored with it when it is at its best that they'll be able to deal with it when its not. That buyer may or may not be out there right now.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Who's brave enough to call for the price?????? :bigsmile:

I nominate Kenny as he has lots of history with the seller.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1381436488|3535473 said:

I second that. :wink2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
corundum_conundrum|1381122851|3533455 said:
Wow, this is a great deal, and damn near the best color you can find in Chrome Tourmaline:

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...ite-chrome-tourmaline-6-dot-75mm-x-4-dot-16mm

1_167.jpg

Never ever evaluate the color of a gemstone against a dark background. It will always look much lighter than it is IRL, and often that is a giveaway that the gem might be dark, which is why it's photographed on a dark background.

If you're interested in it, ask for photos against a light grey background in natural light.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1381449257|3535573 said:
kenny|1381435709|3535468 said:
1 carat Fancy Purplish Red fully natural diamond.
Wonky cut, but I like the hue, and the size ain't too shabby.
I'm not crazy about the heart shape, but I think it looks best in red.

WANT!

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/14866.htm#.UlcIoxbA4qY

Like most cleavage, it appears a bit uneven...but STILL coveted! :bigsmile: I'll take it.....

Don't feel bad.
Most guys have one that hangs lower too. :oops: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1381442971|3535530 said:

Oh gosh, no way
They know I can't afford this, but may tell me anyway.
But posting the price would be tacky as I think people who can afford rocks like this prefer that nobody knows what it's worth.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1381457784|3535645 said:
minousbijoux|1381442971|3535530 said:

Oh gosh, no way
They know I can't afford this, but may tell me anyway.
But posting the price would be tacky as I think people who can afford rocks like this prefer that nobody knows what it's worth.

Agreed... but holy crap, that's a breathtaking stone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That would make a killer Valentine's Day ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
txgreeneyes: you probably know that the links are not permanent to the ebay items, so it might be helpful to include photos of your eye candy :bigsmile: as well so that people can continue to enjoy your finds well after they've sold...

We remind folks of this periodically for that reason, and also because some of us don't ever click through on links (not naming names here, but isn't it suddenly getting hot in here?... :wink2: )

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Here is the Roman ring that I found for sale on ebay. The auction has ended. I am not the seller nor do I make any profit from the sale of the ring.

romanring.jpg

22-24K gold with a garnet
weighs: 3.40 grams
from the Roman era from the 2nd century AD

It was going for about $2,000.

How would someone go about authenticating the time on a ring like that? I was searching for garnet rings, and I came across the auction.

Thanks!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
One more.. I really like this. Reminds me of a steampunk ring. Again, I'm not the seller of this lovely unique ring. Wish I was the buyer! I'd probably wear it. Tho, I'd probably poke someone's eye with it.

clockring.jpg

From the seller:

Quintessential Vintage Solid 18ct Yellow Gold Peacock / Clock Garnet Dress Ring

handmade in 1954

18ct Gold Marked

Garnet weight: 0.10 pts

UK Size N

US Size 6 1/2

Shank is 7mm at widest point | 4.5mm a narrowest

Head is 19mm X 35mm

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
txge: thank you so much for taking the time to load them! They are truly unique - well, particularly the ring. I have never seen anything like it. Love the imagination, not to mention the color of the gold, almost as if its gotten a patina due to age.

Thanks again for taking kindly to the request to load pics here. :wink2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, are we becoming complacent here? Are people even checking our Preloved section any more for CS?

It seems that there has been a run on lavender spinels recently. Here is a little one cut by Barry Bridgestock in a round - talk about blow you out of the water sparkle! Well I assume anyway, as I have not asked the seller about it. But c'mon folks! I can't believe its still here! The only downside is that Barry's pic is taken on a similar color background, so it will enhance the color a bit, so I would ask about the color and/or look at the poster's other pics of the stone. :))

http://www.diamondbistro.com/image/36168/item.html

bb_lavender_spinel_10-15-13_preview.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
txgreeneyes|1381856166|3538108 said:
Here is the Roman ring that I found for sale on ebay. The auction has ended. I am not the seller nor do I make any profit from the sale of the ring.

romanring.jpg

22-24K gold with a garnet
weighs: 3.40 grams
from the Roman era from the 2nd century AD

It was going for about $2,000.

How would someone go about authenticating the time on a ring like that? I was searching for garnet rings, and I came across the auction.

Thanks!

An antiquities expert can authenticate this kind of piece - they have been prized for a long time! If I am not mistaken, Richard Wise used to offer a few Roman rings on his website. They will base their opinion on style, construction technique, material, etc.

One thing that bothered me about that sale is the lack of provenance. Considering the vast amount of looting, fakes and other dubious practices, I would never buy an antique without clear documentation showing that it is legally for sale.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Double Lady D's opinion. I'd never ever buy something like that off eBay. A ring that has been authenticated as Roman would be unlikely to be sold that way; an auction house would get much more for it.

I'm suspicious that it's so conveniently "old" looking. It can't have come out of the ground so relatively clean -- if some dirt has been cleaned off, why stop halfway? I wouldn't accept authentication except by an authority I knew and could communicate with, myself, before paying for it. Actually, I'd just stay away.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1382063918|3539888 said:
I love this one recently posted by Michael at Litnon. Half azurite, half malachite 21+ ct cabachon. 25x17mm, yours for $43. Great colors and to think that nature did that! :o :o

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9818

Wow! Love it! I made my mother an azurite/malachite pendant but the stone was mottled rather than swirled like that. I shouldn't buy it, I really shouldn't. But I want to. Someone snap it up and remove the temptation!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Minou, thanks! Fell in love with that & I bought it. It's such an interesting & pretty stone. I'll name it after you. =) Also picked up the Malawi tourm -- worth taking a RL look at. I don't have any yellow gems & this has nice saturation; if it has much brown, will send it back -- that's what has kept me from buying several others. Pics when they arrive.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results