carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1382099112|3540007 said:
Minou, thanks! Fell in love with that & I bought it. It's such an interesting & pretty stone. I'll name it after you. =) Also picked up the Malawi tourm -- worth taking a RL look at. I don't have any yellow gems & this has nice saturation; if it has much brown, will send it back -- that's what has kept me from buying several others. Pics when they arrive.

--- Laurie

:appl: :appl: That is too funny, cuz I logged on this morning to see if it was still there thinking that I would buy it, but I'm so glad you relieved me of that chore! :lol: :lol: I have also been eyeing that Malawi tourm so it will be great to get your review. He has some lovely and unique stones these days.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
JF,

I bought the windowed, sister stone to that Malawi Tourmaline from Linton. I liked it enough to have it recut, and I think you will like the one you bought.

That being said, it is not a pure yellow. In fact, when I got my email from Dan Stair that he got my stone, he said "I wouldn't call this yellow...I'd call it yellowish-green". I saw it as greenish-yellow. I'd say the saturation is pretty strong, but certainly not a neon like a neon Chrysoberyl or a Canary Apatite. Just thought I'd share my thoughts. My stone has moved on to a new home so I felt I am able to discuss it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Haha, that is funny. Hope I didn't snag it from under you; it would make a stunning pendant. I told DH about it over his a.m. coffee -- too early for him. Face all crumpled up, he barked, "How many stones do you have to have???" "It cost 43 bucks!" sez I. "Uh." Head buried again in the newspaper. Matter of perspective -- 2 grand for new Maserati tires is ordained by God, as natural as the sun rising in the east. Gems: tolerated as long as he doesn't know what they cost, so I oblige by not telling him re the most expensive ones. I'm a sweet wife! :D

He does have some attractive stones -- the 2 Ceylon sapphires in his new stuff, for instance, make me sorry I'm not in the market for one.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Chris --

Your post & mine crossed. Thanks for the info -- interesting. Greenish yellow is ok with me -- brownish yellow (what vendors euphemistically call "golden") not. I don't expect it to have the dispersion or neon-ness of a chryso; it is a tourmaline, after all. I see an anomaly in it -- not sure what it is, maybe a tilt window -- but the straight-on photos don't show a window, which figured in my decision. I'm interested to see it, if it is un-fab, will send it back (and have postage cost a big percentage of what the stone did!). Thanks for your experience with its close buddy -- will let you know when it arrives how it looks. Thoughtful of you to write.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1382110648|3540091 said:
Haha, that is funny. Hope I didn't snag it from under you; it would make a stunning pendant. I told DH about it over his a.m. coffee -- too early for him. Face all crumpled up, he barked, "How many stones do you have to have???" "It cost 43 bucks!" sez I. "Uh." Head buried again in the newspaper. Matter of perspective -- 2 grand for new Maserati tires is ordained by God, as natural as the sun rising in the east. Gems: tolerated as long as he doesn't know what they cost, so I oblige by not telling him re the most expensive ones. I'm a sweet wife! :D

He does have some attractive stones -- the 2 Ceylon sapphires in his new stuff, for instance, make me sorry I'm not in the market for one.

--- Laurie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So satisfying to be able to say that it cost $43, huh?! :devil:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yeah! I faked him out for once! :saint:

Marina87

Rough_Rock
I'm a big fan of stones with light green colors. Very pretty!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Somewhere along the line I started checking gemfix really frequently, just because I love looking at pretty things. Got on today to see some new montana sapphires, and, just, yum. wow.

sapphire_montana_384_a.jpg

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html (number 384).

Did they get a new camera? All the new stones look like candy. :love:

Bex

Shiny_Rock
First time posting and I'm attempting pictures AND links, so apologies in advance if I mess something up! I've been stalking spinels on Ebay and came across this beauty:

_t2ec16h__wwfjc_bmqcebsz2_i5szw__60_57.jpg

$40, 10mm, 4.7 carats, and tons of pictures. Blue isn't my favorite color, but even I thought it was lovely. Just not what I'm looking for right now, so I thought I'd share!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautifil-C...438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485bb43a8e

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
At that price and size, I'd bet money that it's synthetic. Very pretty color though!

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Especially given the seller's disclaimer and his other offerings. Loved the 7.5ct perfectly clean CC sapphire for $55. It's a pretty find, though, thanks Bex!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, emmmmme, whether purposely or unintentionally, its hard to tell the real color of the stone when the background is a similar color... :(sad

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Pretzel|1382264395|3541051 said:
Saw this and fell in love, which means my heart is now broken as I can't afford muchless care for this lovely tanzanite. Please someone buy it so I will stop looking at it!

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?70005571

FWIW, I have never seen a pink tanzanite. :confused:

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Are all tourmalines 20% off, or only the jewelry?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
They all are, enter oct2013 at checkout.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
isaku5|1382830417|3545277 said:
Saw this and fell in love, which means my heart is now broken as I can't afford muchless care for this lovely tanzanite. Please someone buy it so I will stop looking at it!

They exist, as do yellow and green. However, the term tanzanite should supposedly be reserved for the blue-purple variety, and fancy zoisite for the others colors.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
DeskJockey -- I noticed that green Montana too when it first went up. I like it a lot -- would love to see it IRL, with that complex cut.

--- Laurie

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1382854995|3545448 said:
isaku5|1382830417|3545277 said:

They exist, as do yellow and green. However, the term tanzanite should supposedly be reserved for the blue-purple variety, and fancy zoisite for the others colors.

Thanks for the added information :wavey:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone see this yet, from Gene?

He says it has that paraiba color that we all are looking for, and it's nice and big. :love: He's pretty darn accurate with his descriptions, so if he says it's paraiba color . . . :naughty:

Gem 1472 - Green-Blue Tourmaline
4.43 ct. A spectacular Tourmaline from Afghanistan. The stone is cut in my classic cushion shape that measures 9.74 mm. The color is a neon green with a touch of blue, has the look of a paraiba without the price tag. Just short of loupe clean, totally eye clean.

It's on his blog, along with pictures of the rough, which just looks gorgeous, even uncut.

Next life, I am coming back richer . . . :Up_to_something:

1472a.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, wow. I am rather speechless.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
That Tourmaline is beautiful. :$$):

cm366

Shiny_Rock
That is outstanding... and I love the rough shot too, what a gorgeous parcel!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's overreaching to start throwing around the term "Paraiba", especially since we've seen so many gorgeous actual Paraibas and cuprians lately. Not to mention it's more greenish and it looks to have some areas that are more green than blue.

Perhaps I'm just getting harder to impress lately.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paraibas can be greenish too. I'm not saying Gene's stone looks like a paraiba though.

"A paraíba tourmaline is a blue (electric blue, neon blue, violet blue), bluish green to greenish blue or
green tourmaline, of medium-light to high saturation and tone (relative to this variety of tourmaline),
mainly due to the presence of copper (Cu) and manganese (Mn) of whatever geographical origin. The
name of the tourmaline variety "paraíba" is derived from the Brazilian locality where this gemstone was
first mined."

http://www.lmhc-gemology.org/pdfs/IS6_23092010.pdf

Gene has some nice Afghan rough with open color. I saw this one on his blog, but it's probably not for sale. Very pretty stones.

blue_tourm_1.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. I agree that that stone does not look like a Paraiba to me. I use the terms cuprian or copper bearing pretty loosely, but I reserve the term Paraiba for those stones with copper content which exhibit very strong to vivid saturation, and have the glow that makes them appear lit from within. While there are copper bearing stones of many colors, the only stones I've seen that I would classify as "Paraiba" due to the glow and saturation of color, happen to have been the "pool water blue" coloration. Imo, while pretty, Gene's stone would not rise to the level of a Paraiba- like stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results