shape
carat
color
clarity

So, I'm thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets navy blue

What do you prefer for kitchen cabinets?

• Maple

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Cherry

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • White

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • If you pick oak I'll hunt you down and force you to listen to techno or something worse.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Re: So, I'm thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets navy bl

penn-although your kitchen is currently lovely, I can see why you feel it needs some life-too neutral :) If you weren't re-selling soon, I'd definitely say go for color, but for resale-I'd say stay light, bright and classic! Good luck, I can't wait to see the finished project!!! I personally love the first photo you posted-gorgeous!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

I think your kitchen is a beautiful layout and size! It's to die for! I can see what you mean about the cabinets though - they're a bit fancy and dated I think - maybe a bit busy? I think white (maybe not stark white, but more of an ivory) would be fantastic, especially with the island a different color, like a grey.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can we see more photos of your house???

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your current kitchen looks like something out of a magazine layout!

If you are planning on moving soonish, please hold off on another remodel. If you paint the cabinets, then you will have to change the marble counters, and so on. Save your remodeling money for the next house!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

MC|1289321228|2759168 said:

You haven't seen the photos here? I thought I posted pics.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

pennquaker09|1289342887|2759489 said:
MC|1289321228|2759168 said:

You haven't seen the photos here? I thought I posted pics.

I probably did see the photos. A few look familiar (but, in my defense, they're from 2007, so sorry if I don't remember them all)! lol I DO remember your kitchen!

Beautiful place.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Penn -- I've seen the photos before but I wanted to say again how much I love your house. It's gorgeous.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

So Penn, what have you decided to do?

April20

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I like the idea of navy cabinets. Of course, this is coming from someone that painted the medium/dark cherry cabinets in her kitchen black because she hated them...... For me, if I didn't love the navy, no big deal. They're already painted. I'll just paint them again.

I do love a classically white kitchen. I like the clean, crisp feeling they convey. I love them with marble countertops and white subway tile backsplashes and pops of bright color here and there... but now I digress.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

definitely no on navy blue--way too primary with your granite.

remove the light fixtures and the curtains and stay more simple/classic. your inspiration pic is vastly diff than your kitchen today. did your taste change? mine does every 5 years or so!

i would do the cabinets antique white or a dark gray (but each of those would have entirely different looks).

we have antique white cabinets and a brownish tan cream granite. i really love the way it looks...though it is not what i would have 'chose' had i redecorated the kitchen ourselves (it came remodeled).

your kitchen is very big so those cabinets will take up 3/4 of the visual space for the eye. i'd stay neutral... with a primary color or any type of color you would really get more than you are bargaining for IMO. esp if you are selling soon.

huge kitchen!! i want to come over for breakfast.

Eva*

Rough_Rock

I vote no, mainly because your kitchen cabinets are not at a uniform height. I think the negative space would be too challenging to fill in. I also agree with Mara about the cabinets taking up so much space in the kitchen. That said, I think darker cabinets would be nice but maybe just a darker stain?

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock

The blue would be stunning Penn, but as you know, one thing would cascade into another and you'd want to go to countertops, wall color and floors to tie it all in for the look you want. It would be well worth it if you were staying, but for planning a move your current kitchen looks very nice and buyers would drool!

I'm with you Penn on the blue idea!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

natascha|1289591207|2763603 said:
Stunning kitchen! If you want colour but still want to keep it light and neutral I would suggest looking at Lindblomsgrön, sorry but I don't know what it is called in english. It's a lovely light green grey, don't know how to post pics but here is a link http://www.ballingslov.se/web/kok.aspx#/?cat=7dcfc643-d9c8-4ecb-890b-dd6ebfe0b27c&page=0d5ac662-9558-45b9-a4ae-3e178c71f3be
Penn, Thanks for inviting us to see your lovely home. I agree with the sentiment that dark blue cabinets would not be something that every potential buyer would want. Also, the chaos this would create in your home is something to consider when you have no plans to stay in the home for the long term.

If you like the color posted above, I believe I have the "American" version of that color. It is by Farrow and Ball, and is called French Grey.
I have VERY pale maple cabinets on the perimeter with light countertops, and the island only is done in French Grey with an Antique Heart pine top.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

Tacori E-ring|1289393338|2759912 said:

I'm thinking of going more French Country. I agree with a lot of the posters recommending grey. I love the photo heranderson posted, and I agree with a lot of what Mara said.

I'm totally a sucker for the classic white kitchen, but I think in our house, with the European architecture, it would be out of place, and I can also admit that the navy would be also, because both of those themes are more Colonial inspired.

Pink Tower, I LOVE Farrow and Ball! Their wallpaper is to die for. I just don't know if switch from Benjamin Moore.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

pennquaker09|1289696520|2765114 said:
Tacori E-ring|1289393338|2759912 said:

I'm thinking of going more French Country. I agree with a lot of the posters recommending grey. I love the photo heranderson posted, and I agree with a lot of what Mara said.

I'm totally a sucker for the classic white kitchen, but I think in our house, with the European architecture, it would be out of place, and I can also admit that the navy would be also, because both of those themes are more Colonial inspired.

Pink Tower, I LOVE Farrow and Ball! Their wallpaper is to die for. I just don't know if switch from Benjamin Moore.

Well, the good news is since you want to move your NEW kitchen can have beautiful navy cabs with white marble (or whatever else you want) ;)) I also love white kitchens. My taste is more simple and modern and I am a sucker for contrast. Going gray is a good idea but your home seems more golden (if that makes sense).

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

Penn,

I just remembered something else about my Farrow and Ball painted island. It isn't paint, it is something called lacquer. I think of lacquer as being shiny, which is why I say it is " something called" lacquer. It never chips, and I would not think it could be applied inside the home.

Anyway, your home is beautiful, no matter what you decide!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results