shape
carat
color
clarity

So, I'm thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets navy blue

What do you prefer for kitchen cabinets?

• Maple

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Cherry

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • White

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • If you pick oak I'll hunt you down and force you to listen to techno or something worse.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
For a while now, I've been debating on doing a cosmetic remodel to our kitchen. It would be an understatement to say that I hate it. The glazed cabinets and the busy granite kind of drive me crazy.

Generally, I'm a white kitchen lover. And, in the event I decide to do this, I may very well go white. However, I really like the idea of painting the cabinets a dark blue. This is sort of my inspiration:

Windsor%20Smith%20Kitchen.jpg

Blue%20and%20White%20Kitchen.jpg

Now, I'm saying cosmetic, but realistically, painting the cabinets blue would sort of start a chain reaction. If you paint the cabinets, you have to change the countertops, then the backsplash, then the floors, and then the walls, etc, etc. Then I'll have to buy new furniture and window treatments. I've gotten estimates for painting the cabinets. Regardless of the color, that's going to be $6000 minimum. If you're thinking that's a lot, well, I was too. However, there is no need to actually replace the cabinets because they're like relatively new.

Another reason why I want to do this is that we're going to sell this place in the not so distant future. It's the right size, but the square footage is allocated in ways that would require entirely too much renovation. Plus, we have an oddly shaped backyard with a pond, so I don't feel comfortable letting the twins play outside. I want them to have a puppy and we're not allowed to put up a fence, so a new house is the only solution.

The question is; would you want to buy a house with cabinets painted navy blue? I'd like to think I know what I'm doing. I have a vision, but I want opinions. I live in a sea of neutrals and it's killing me. Nate doesn't understand to concept of color. I'm open to suggestions also.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Re: So, I'm thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets navy bl

Penn, If you are thinking of selling the house soon I will paint white. I like how it looks blue, but I would not want my kitchen to have blue cabinets. I think that will make the house hard to sell.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock

I'm so excited that I get to chime in after all the help you gave me!

Now I know you know I tend to be a boring, neutral person. And normally I would say go for the navy blue b/c it does look striking and you love it - but when you mention resale, I have to say it's probably not a good idea. I personally would shy away from a navy kitchen - and I think most people are likely to feel the same way. Do you have a picture of your existing kitchen (I have ulterior motives, since I'd love to see it)? How about going with a true white kitchen (not the glazed look you're so tired of seeing...note to self do not post picture of my new kitchen here, lol). I remember seeing Christopher Peacock's new kitchen (his actual kitchen - I think it was in Traditional Magazine) -- he went with a true white and then dark gray accents/wall which looked fantastic and dramatic - and I could see you maybe liking. It still is not the generic look but maybe could sell better since the gray can always be repainted.

PS Love the oak techno comment :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

If you're going to sell, I would absolutely not paint them blue. While it could look totally awesome, it won't be the taste of the vast majority of buyers and then they'll have to think of the cost to repaint. I would go white, or maybe white with grey on the bottom if you want to do something a little different.

I'm house shopping right now and I see a lot of kitchens that have been recently re-done, but are very much in the taste of the owner and not in the taste of the average house shopper - it's kind of a turn off to need to replace/repaint a brand new kitchen. At least if it's old and outdated a buyer is expecting to re-do it, but when it's brand new but still not anywhere close to my taste, it kind of makes me cross the whole house off my list.

If you were going to live there for a while, I would say do it in a heartbeat! Maybe you can save the navy for your next home?

Camille

Shiny_Rock

Cabinets are the biggest portion of the kitchen and painting them require huge amount of time. In my opinion, dark cabinets need light color on the walls to brighten up the kitchen vs light colored cabinets can have 'any' color on the walls. If the kitchen is naturally bright, dark colors can be used on the kitchen entry with lighter colors on the rest of the walls.

Blue is known to decrease appetite in the kitchen [something I need] but still, a beautiful color. It's very hard to sell a house with a 'personalized' kitchen. I love the sterile look of white, dust doesn't show but grease does. Cherry is my favorite due to it's elegance.
I have black cabinets with white countertops in the laundry room, you don't want to know how much time I spend dusting them, every single fiber shows.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

The rest are in a thread somewhere, I didn't know the new PS saved photos.

kitchen_5.jpg

kitchen_2.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love your house...want to come visit! Anything you do, I know you will rock it. But I do agree that if you want to sell it soon, it's a major factor.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock

I agree with others, if you want to sell, either leave them as is or have them painted white. As I'm sure you know, kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. Navy blue cabinets are too taste specific and many buyers will either pass all together or factor in cabinet replacement to the cost of the home. Love your house btw!!

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock

my vote--island antique white, cabinets dark.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

That kitchen looks very expensive. Forgive me for saying so, but I would only paint the cabinets if I wasn't thinking of selling and I was 100% sure I would be pleased with the quality of the finish I could achieve.

It's a beautiful room, and would be a major selling point if I was viewing as a buyer - I know everyone's taste is different, but I think it's a fairly classic look that would appeal to a lot of people.

I know that itch, though! If you paint, make sure it's a flawless and really, really nice job, or you've ruined a kitchen (ask me how I know... :bigsmile: ).

Jen

ETA
ok, so to answer the question you actually asked, no. I wouldn't want navy blue cabinets, particularly not those cabinets. If I had to paint these ones, I'd be looking at a neutral (sorry, I know you have enough of that already, but that's what I think). The navy could look stunning, but the place to showcase your obvious flair for this stuff is the house you buy. Now that I want to see pictures of!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock

Ditto all the previous suggestions to not go blue. As a recent house shopper, that would have been a major turnoff, especially in house that looks to be for the most part turnkey.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

*drools over your current kitchen* I can has? :love:

Personally, I agree with everybody else - if you plan to sell, don't do the navy blue. I love your inspiration picture and I think it looks awesome, but not everyone will agree and when you're trying to sell you need to be able to appeal to the masses.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG, look at all of that counter space! What a gorgeous kitchen as-is!

I really wanted to be the dissenter on this one, because I'm in love with your inspiration kitchen, but the overwhelming common sense in this thread has won out. If you do alter the cabinets, maybe a darker stain on the outer cabinets and a white island and pull your pops of colour from the chandeliers or bar stools and do just the island in maybe a green antique-ey stain?

I would kill for that blue kitchen with carrera counter tops, though. Wow, that's stunning.

cara

Ideal_Rock

Ixnay on the blue cabinets, if you are thinking of selling soon. They could be totally awesome but are probably not going to appeal to the masses.

I do see why the combination of finishes is driving you crazy! They are all in the same medium tone but different patterns. The overall effect is kind of dizzying. Painting over the cabinets would help a lot. Also the diagonal backsplash tiling is kind offputting, at least in this kitchen.

But otherwise, your kitchen looks awesome! Drool, says the girl living in a 50s era apartment with blue and white tile kitchen.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well I agree resale could be tricky...but...I think I may have a different design aesthetic than the average person because my dream kitchen would have black cabinets. I have painted bathroom cabs black before but that is as far as I have gone. I LOVE the idea of black/navy cabs and white marble/granite. You have great taste so I know you could pull it off. Maybe just try the island to test it out.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock

I adore the dark blue cabinets, but since you're planning to sell soonish, I'll go with the consensus and say either leave them as is or paint them a soft (not too stark) white.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

About 20 years ago I looked at a house in my current neighborhood that had dark blue cabinets in the kitchen. That house sat on the market forakmost 3 years before someone bought it. The new owners changed a lot of things in the house but never redid the cabinets. They lived in the house for 7 years and it took them 2 years to sell. The new owners put in new cabinets and also stayed about 5 years in the house. They sold the house within a week. The hook was the kitchen with the new cherry cabinets.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

My vote is no to the blue cabinets. First, I don't like dark kitchens - I feel lighter colors create a fresher look AND if I found a house I loved that had blue cabinets, it would be hard to get past the fact that I'd know that they'd have to be repainted...and there is no way I'd pay $6K+, so I'd dread the thought of doing it myself.

Have you looked at comparable sales in your neighborhood? Before touching anything, be sure to do so. You may find that leaving everthing as i, will be the best way to quickly sell your house and instead use any set-aside decorating funds toward your new place.

FWIW, your kitchen is breathtaking and having your lighting be such a grand focal point, your kitchen will knock the socks off of any potential buyer. Don't get trigger happy!

Your chain reaction, "If you paint the cabinets, you have to change the countertops...," etc., reminds me of, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..." :)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

I am by no means a decorating guru, but I LOOOVE looking at kitchens. My kitchen is small for our house and I dream of having a kitchen like yours. Double ovens? *SWOOOOOON*

I am also in the camp with those who think you should pass on painting all of the cabinets blue if you're thinking of selling soon. And now that I see how many cabinets you have, I can see how the $6K quote came about :)

I still think you might be able to incorporate some blue on the island, though. Maybe I'm crazy, but I love kitchens, especially large kitchens like yours, where the island is slightly different from he rest of the kitchen. Often you'll see the island in a different wood or painted a different color. If I were you and had to choose a color, I would probably paint my cabinets ivory...maybe even ivory with that distressed look which shows a little wood on the edges? Do you know what I mean? I think it looks very "French Countryside" and I love it.

Then you could even do some type of French blue color for the island. I'll try to find a picture...I found one, but it looks more "coastal" than "French Countryside". Still you probably get the idea. This might be a good compromise between getting the color you want, but keeping the look traditional for buyers.

kitchenidea.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady|1289246848|2758554 said:
I am by no means a decorating guru, but I LOOOVE looking at kitchens. My kitchen is small for our house and I dream of having a kitchen like yours. Double ovens? *SWOOOOOON*

I am also in the camp with those who think you should pass on painting all of the cabinets blue if you're thinking of selling soon. And now that I see how many cabinets you have, I can see how the $6K quote came about :)

I still think you might be able to incorporate some blue on the island, though. Maybe I'm crazy, but I love kitchens, especially large kitchens like yours, where the island is slightly different from he rest of the kitchen. Often you'll see the island in a different wood or painted a different color. If I were you and had to choose a color, I would probably paint my cabinets ivory...maybe even ivory with that distressed look which shows a little wood on the edges? Do you know what I mean? I think it looks very "French Countryside" and I love it.

Then you could even do some type of French blue color for the island. I'll try to find a picture...I found one, but it looks more "coastal" than "French Countryside". Still you probably get the idea. This might be a good compromise between getting the color you want, but keeping the look traditional for buyers.
:love:

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

Okay, so white is the overwhelming choice so far.

I guess I should add that even though houses here tend to sell relatively fast, when we bought this place, the Realtor specifically mentioned that this house was languishing because of the kitchen cabinets. And, due to the fact that tile floors are everywhere. I can't tell you how many Swiffers I go through and the amount of mopping.

Oh, and the paint bids were VERY surprising. Generally, I have found that painters charge by the,"opening." Which means, count every door and drawer front - one 3 drawer base cabinet is 3 SEPARATE openings. And let me tell you all that $6000 is the low bid, the others are higher.

The house is on the French Country side, but I felt like the previous owners were a bit too literal in interpreting French Country.

The reason why I bring all of this up now is that we're going to get the work done while we're out of town. We're going to Alabama for Thanksgiving and the Iron Bowl (Alabama vs Auburn game). I want as little interruption to my kids routine as possible, and since we're going to be traveling to the South for the Holidays, this is the perfect time do as much of the work as possible.

As much as I hate the idea of ripping it out, the granite has pretty much got to go.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh land sakes I love your kitchen the way it is now! I was all set to say oh yes blue blue blue-I would totally buy a house w/navy blue cabinets..but w/a sale in the future, dangit I have to agree w/everyone else. Take w/a grain of salt tho-we've got oak cabinets stained a really dark color so..yeah. And the painted ones are getting replaced w/more of them..whatever, we're in Iowa, we're always waaaay behind the times I guess.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

Also, thanks for the opinions and input, I really appreciate it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

pennquaker09|1289258089|2758696 said:
Also, thanks for the opinions and input, I really appreciate it.

Just post more pics of your house please...you have awesome taste! And I love how you are one of the sweetest, most modest posters around!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hmmm, while I think it could look really good, I also think that for resale purposes, it might be best not to go with navy cabinets.

I didn't vote on the poll because I like (and have had) cherry, maple, and white cabinets. All three options look great. White seems a bit more casual than maple or cherry, with cherry seeming the most formal to me. None of our kitchens have been really formal though, so I use that word loosely.

ETA: I love seeing pics of your house, Penn. It's gorgeous.

NEL -- I also love kitchens that have islands that have a different look to them than the rest of the space. The one you posted is beautiful!

Hera

Ideal_Rock

I love your first inspiration pic, it's in my saved homes folder on my computer. While I normally would say it's not a good idea, I think in the rights hands it might work and I think you could pull it off. I think when you do an unorthodox design, you have to go all the way or not at all. I think that's what you mean when you say you would change most everything out.
I think if you do it, you should make sure to incorporate a lot of warm elements so it doesn't feel cold or sterile. I think prospective homeowners are looking for warm kitchens.
Have you thought about gray? Here's a pic of a kitchen that I adore that has gray cabinetry that I adore that I think is warm:

a18f5ebe8cfe.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I LOVE that kitchen Hera, and the gray is gorgeous!

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Penn, I know whatever you want to do would be absolutely stunning in the end. But really, dont do it if you are wanting to sell your house in the near future. I think it may be too taste-specific, and when you are selling your house, it really is best to keep everything neutral!!! Keep your inspirations pics tucked away until you get into your new house that you'll be in for awhile. Then you can go nuts!!! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

DON'T TOUCH THAT KITCHEN! It's fine and lovely!

I would change out the light fixtures and curtain, that's what's making it look busy. Tone those down and you'll be surprised.

Also, put a big bright flower arrangement in the middle, it will distract from everything else. My MIL taught me this one smart trick: if you look at pictures at shelter magazines, cover up the flowers with your finger. The whole room suddenly fades!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock

I really like your current kitchen as well--I remember it now from previous photos. I do like the granite and of course the layout but see what you are saying abuot the cabinets. I guess the easiest fix would be to go darker (cherry) and keep the granite and switch out those lights to something more sleek. If you are willing to do an overhaul, I woud love to see white, marble,etc--but that would totally be a different feel ( more sleek, cool vs. the very warm busy look you have going on now). Here are some photos of that Christopher Peacock kitchen (his own kitchen) I had mentioned. I can't wait to see what you do, I love your vision--just can't pull off myself although I still have you to thank for the reds in my LR. Football game sounds like a lot of fun btw...

cp.jpg

cp2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results