shape
carat
color
clarity

Single Ladies Small Talk

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MissP- Yeah, totally on the same page. I didn't hear from him after he dropped me off last Sunday so I texted him to see how his Thanksgiving was on Saturday- sparked a little back and forth but nothing that is impressive. Not sure what we are doing as the last text I got from him we were trying to figure out the dates that we would meet up so it was simply this confirming that Tuesday worked for both of us --->'I could do that. And sorry for the late reply, but I was out on a run'. I have yet to respond. I am just kind of 'over' it?

Star- that is what I want. Is it TOO much to expect to be perused? I would like to feel like I am more than an after thought.

Honestly, at this point, I am kind of just looking forward to leaving for Australia in a month and not worrying about anything until then. I am dangerously close to just throwing my hands up and letting the entire thing go- I am over the dating thing.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Strawdermangrl|1291054496|2781862 said:
Star- that is what I want. Is it TOO much to expect to be perused? I would like to feel like I am more than an after thought.

Nope, definitely not! I felt the exact same way and hated feeling like an afterthought, which is how I felt most of the time with the guys I was dating. Then I'd try to reach out and start something, and get frustrated when getting the same response. Then I just completely let go and realized that if he wanted to talk or do more than text, he would. Which meant that he didn't, and I shouldn't be wasting my time with someone who treated me as an afterthought anyway. It seems so simple, but that really was a revelation to me and lifted a huge elephant off my chest.

Have fun in Australia! I went there in September and had so much fun!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies!

MissPru - your story about trying to set up your previous suitor with a friend reminded me of how my parents met :razz: My mom spent a lot of time trying to set my dad up with her friend...obviously, she failed, since they've now been married for 25 years, lol. As for the other men policy - I wouldn't mention it to BDG if it's still early stages. Options are good to have, and until someone makes a commitment, there's nothing wrong with chatting up other guys! I totally know what you mean about the not taking the dating thing too seriously. I mean, yeah I'm a stressball and I definitely stressed about CV but now I do know he likes me, and I'm like - Oh ok. Cool. Good self-validation :D

Princesss - Gah that's annoying, isn't it? (Having to keep breaking the news?). R and I broke up what, like a week after you and M did, and I have friends who are still clueless. Partly, that's my own fault - R and I kept it super quiet on FB (we just got rid of our relationship statuses). I was feeling too hurt to discuss with out mutual friends, etc. The last month I've been catching up with law school and work friends who know both of us, and they were for the most part CLUELESS that we weren't together anymore. So of course I have to go into the whole long story of why.....

Strawder - Texting is great and has its place, but it's so limited. I understand your frustration. I mean, I prefer texting to calling, honestly, but not during the early stages of dating a guy...

MissPru - boo on BDG for bailing! And good for you for going out with another prospect :)

Starsparkle - haha you have permission to post. Don't worry!

Strawder - Not too much to expect at all. Although maybe HE likes to be pursued? I'm finding it an interesting experience to do the pursuing - I think it's good for ME personally, you know personal growth and all that, but it's also a bit frustrating. So I hear ya. Of course, this might be good, because as soon as you step out of the airport after arriving in Australia, you are going to meet some HOT Australian surfer dude with a sexy accent and you're going to be like, HFF? Who's that???

princesss

Ideal_Rock
So, E1 texted me yesterday. Just "I hope things are going well. Sorry for the random text, I was just thinking about you."

I know I should be mad. He's got a girl. I shouldn't (and won't) encourage this. But dang I got excited to hear from him. I know he's (to quote a friend) "skeevy scummy poopoo" but I still can't get myself to really be mad at him for this. I know that if he's doing this to her he'd do it to me. I just....ugh. I want him to want me. I know I should delete his number and not give it a second thought. But I really don't want to. Part of me wants to reply, but I have no idea what I'd say. "Oh, that'd be sweet, but you're seeing somebody"??? Yeah right. So I'm just leaving it. Not responding. But I really want to.

I'm pathetic.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Princesss- Like I told you before, not responding is the best thing you can do. Trust me, delete the entire texting convo thing (if you have the iphone) and just erase his number, too. Move forward-you are better than that. :)

So, after the text from HFF about meeting on Tuesday, I responded, 'Ok, sounds good- tomorrow works- what time and where?' to which I have yet to receive a response and it has been over 24hrs. Call me crazy but I have officially decided that I am just done with it. I mean, come on man, show some effort here. Friends say how 'shy' and what not, but how 'into me he is' and blah blah blah. But I don't want someone that can't put forth the effort or overcome the 'fear'. Maybe I have read 'He's just not that into you' too many times but this is a classic blow off. So? Closed the book on this one. At least I had a good time and got to see a great band! :)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Strawdermangrl|1291136800|2782838 said:
Princesss- Like I told you before, not responding is the best thing you can do. Trust me, delete the entire texting convo thing (if you have the iphone) and just erase his number, too. Move forward-you are better than that. :)

So, after the text from HFF about meeting on Tuesday, I responded, 'Ok, sounds good- tomorrow works- what time and where?' to which I have yet to receive a response and it has been over 24hrs. Call me crazy but I have officially decided that I am just done with it. I mean, come on man, show some effort here. Friends say how 'shy' and what not, but how 'into me he is' and blah blah blah. But I don't want someone that can't put forth the effort or overcome the 'fear'. Maybe I have read 'He's just not that into you' too many times but this is a classic blow off. So? Closed the book on this one. At least I had a good time and got to see a great band! :)

May I butt in?

Is one of the F's in HFF, fire? I think I read something you wrote a while back and I'm trying to work out the initials.

I'd like to suggest that you go out on tonight - go to the movies, on your own if your like. Just don't be available mentally or physically. If he does call say oh you never got back to me so I made plans, I'm free on Thursday or Sunday, do you want to do something then? If he works shift then he could be absent minded but really that is a terrible excuse and you should not allow him to treat you like this so early on. Don't be available on today, and actually do something.

But if you do like him, when you meet up next time wear something extra smoking hot. Like suspenders under a demure skirt and make sure he knows they are on. Even if you are not going to sleep with him - let him know he should want you. Trust me, that works.

The lesson he learns is to be respectful and that you are worth chasing. Even if he only sees the titivation to start with..... :naughty:

Edit today is Tuesday :rolleyes: ...

Butting out.

Edit: Butting back in...

I had another thought, I think that this guy is not in the settling down frame of mind. If you are on the lookout for a relationship, this guy sounds like he is just looking for funsies. Hence the suspenders comment.

Butting back out.

ETA, 3. Ignore this whole post. I'm not being helpful and I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Steal- You are not butting in! LOL, I believe we kind of 'put ourselves out there' in terms of posting on a public forum!

I made my mind up last night while hashing out the details with a good friend, we are going to our running club tonight. I am excited because I always enjoy running and it will be fun to be with my buddies.

ETA: As I am writing this I get a text that cancels for tonight- I say 'no worries, I had already made other plans'. :)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Strawdermangrl|1291141445|2782952 said:
Steal- You are not butting in! LOL, I believe we kind of 'put ourselves out there' in terms of posting on a public forum!

I made my mind up last night while hashing out the details with a good friend, we are going to our running club tonight. I am excited because I always enjoy running and it will be fun to be with my buddies.

ETA: As I am writing this I get a text that cancels for tonight- I say 'no worries, I had already made other plans'. :)

I am sorry to hear that. You know, I really regretted posting at all but didn't delete in case you had seen it already. Have fun tonight, running is such a great hobby & sport. Last .02, leave this guy on the curb. He will text again, but isn't gonna be a Mr. Right.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have to agree with you about the curb, he is done in my book.

Also, why do you regret?! LOL, I am glad you posted- there wasn't anything that was 'bad' in your post..LOL, unless I interpreted it wrong? :bigsmile:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Steal|1291141783|2782963 said:
I am sorry to hear that. You know, I really regretted posting at all but didn't delete in case you had seen it already. Have fun tonight, running is such a great hobby & sport. Last .02, leave this guy on the curb. He will text again, but isn't gonna be a Mr. Right.

+1, time to leave this guy behind and move on.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
R: Just that I don't belong in this thread and my 'advice' aka pokey-nosey-where-it-doesn't-belongzie was maybe something you might not want to hear.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Steal|1291143073|2783002 said:
R: Just that I don't belong in this thread and my 'advice' aka pokey-nosey-where-it-doesn't-belongzie was maybe something you might not want to hear.

Not Strawder, but I value your advice Steal! And as I've said to others, you don't have to be either single nor a lady to post in this thread - we welcome all opinions :)

Strawder - uggggh. That really sucks. I'm glad you already made other plans and told him so - if he's really into you, he better get over that "shyness" his friends keep talking about. I'm sorry girl.

Princesss - gah E1! Ignore text, ignore ignore ignore. Jerk.

Minor update - CV texted me randomly last night. Nothing too serious.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Strawdermangrl|1291141445|2782952 said:

Sounds like you're okay with the outcome...and perhaps you'll meet someone new one day at running club!

I booted BDG. We had a long talk and I felt like I was always have to chase him down and told him so. He claims he's just really busy that he can't plan thing out in advance. While I understand busy, he wasn't really willing to make time. Calling and asking me out 20min before he expects to go out is unacceptable. In the long term, that will never work for me.

On to more fun!

[I think I sound like a serial dater... which is funny because in real life I am certainly not]

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nothing but love for you, Steal. ;-)

I am with B.E.G- we value your input. Take of your jacket and stay awhile, we would love to have you. :)

ETA: MissP- I totally understand that!!! On to more fun is right... :Up_to_something:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1291129368|2782716 said:
So, E1 texted me yesterday. Just "I hope things are going well. Sorry for the random text, I was just thinking about you."

I know I should be mad. He's got a girl. I shouldn't (and won't) encourage this. But dang I got excited to hear from him. I know he's (to quote a friend) "skeevy scummy poopoo" but I still can't get myself to really be mad at him for this. I know that if he's doing this to her he'd do it to me. I just....ugh. I want him to want me. I know I should delete his number and not give it a second thought. But I really don't want to. Part of me wants to reply, but I have no idea what I'd say. "Oh, that'd be sweet, but you're seeing somebody"??? Yeah right. So I'm just leaving it. Not responding. But I really want to.

I'm pathetic.

So he has a girlfriend?

Is there a chance he doesn't? From what I got from your posts, you had a good time together but he went sort of MIA and you heard he was talking to another girl. Are these any more details? I'd probably respond. But I don't know what I'd say. Sorry, I know that doesn't help!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1291216596|2784073 said:

I'm pathetic.

So he has a girlfriend?

Is there a chance he doesn't? From what I got from your posts, you had a good time together but he went sort of MIA and you heard he was talking to another girl. Are these any more details? I'd probably respond. But I don't know what I'd say. Sorry, I know that doesn't help!

Well, I'm weak. I *did* text him back and basically said "I'd say that's sweet, but you're seeing somebody. Call me back when the timing is better, but not before then."

And then I thought about it, and he honestly could have sent that message to 15983729575970253 girls, it was so generic. And I don't know if that's me being super suspicious or what. But I'm just not ready to close this door all the way quite yet.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Princesss- I totally know that feeling, I have had guys that I thought could be capable of the same type of thing. Did he even respond?

I went to run club last night with my good friend and we had a great run and then sat with everyone afterward. The club has upwards of 3500 total members for the Houston branch and stats say that 75% of the men in the group are single...and from what I could see last night, pretty cute. :naughty: Anyway, it was a great way to blow off steam and I felt GREAT after the run. My speed was also the best I've run to date, so yeah- pretty happy! :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ok so....feeling a bit insecure (this probably has more to do with an incredibly frustrating dramatic day that has NOTHING to do with boys, and everything to do with my crazy mother, and the fact that I've had a couple glasses of wine but still....).

So talked to CV tonight for an hour - just chatting about the day. Partly my INSANE frustrating day, but mostly just random stuff. We have a shared interest in photography - that came up - and weekend plans (which most likely will include coming snowboarding with us). But ok so....I kind of feel like I'm putting in all this effort to make plans, and I KNOW he likes me, likes talking to me, hanging out, we have fun, but..... all the initiative is taken by me. And yeah he's busy working, but he also has four day weekends (like this weekend). I just don't know...I'm feeling insecure!

I don't know - I think I'm tired and rambling, and I don't necessarily MIND this whole me being "I am a modern, independent woman who does NOT NEED to wait on the guy" but....at the same time, at some point he's gotta meet me partway right? Anyway, doesn't change anything in the situation now - if he comes on Sunday cool, and we'll have fun, and but after that, depending on what happens, I might let things cool down a bit and see if he's interested enough to make a move HIMSELF. Gah need to sleep.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1291219223|2784108 said:
IndyLady|1291216596|2784073 said:

I'm pathetic.

So he has a girlfriend?

Well, I'm weak. I *did* text him back and basically said "I'd say that's sweet, but you're seeing somebody. Call me back when the timing is better, but not before then."

And then I thought about it, and he honestly could have sent that message to 15983729575970253 girls, it was so generic. And I don't know if that's me being super suspicious or what. But I'm just not ready to close this door all the way quite yet.

If you were going to text back, that message hit the perfect tone. He made his choice, he needs to live with it.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1291265845|2784866 said:
Ok so....feeling a bit insecure (this probably has more to do with an incredibly frustrating dramatic day that has NOTHING to do with boys, and everything to do with my crazy mother, and the fact that I've had a couple glasses of wine but still....).

So talked to CV tonight for an hour - just chatting about the day. Partly my INSANE frustrating day, but mostly just random stuff. We have a shared interest in photography - that came up - and weekend plans (which most likely will include coming snowboarding with us). But ok so....I kind of feel like I'm putting in all this effort to make plans, and I KNOW he likes me, likes talking to me, hanging out, we have fun, but..... all the initiative is taken by me. And yeah he's busy working, but he also has four day weekends (like this weekend). I just don't know...I'm feeling insecure!

I don't know - I think I'm tired and rambling, and I don't necessarily MIND this whole me being "I am a modern, independent woman who does NOT NEED to wait on the guy" but....at the same time, at some point he's gotta meet me partway right? Anyway, doesn't change anything in the situation now - if he comes on Sunday cool, and we'll have fun, and but after that, depending on what happens, I might let things cool down a bit and see if he's interested enough to make a move HIMSELF. Gah need to sleep.

BEG - things do sound good at the moment. Don't over think it at this stage. Somebody has to make the effort and at the moment it is you. If you don't like him then stop trying - if you do then just go with the flow. You get to have a fun time and hopefully he does too. You never know where this could end. So I'm saying - if you plan the events and you both have a great time then who cares? You have been in a long term relationship and most of the time the girl makes the effort, right? Don't get too swept up in imaginary romance and focus on the man in front of you.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Tonight should be interesting. I'm going out with my friends C (female) and E (male) (different E - I *really* like that initial apparently). I think C might have a thing for E, but I'm not sure - they hang out a lot and she was excited that she could finally invite him out because she's done with the GREs and M (my ex) is gone (he and E were roommates). Which means I have to tone it down with E - we've been super flirty since we met, and I don't think we've ever had an interaction where we didn't flirt. I'm not at all interested in him, so I'll tone it down tonight and see how they interact. I definitely don't want to get in the way if she likes him - he's a great guy and they'd be pretty cute togther.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Steal|1291316223|2785300 said:

BEG - things do sound good at the moment. Don't over think it at this stage. Somebody has to make the effort and at the moment it is you. If you don't like him then stop trying - if you do then just go with the flow. You get to have a fun time and hopefully he does too. You never know where this could end. So I'm saying - if you plan the events and you both have a great time then who cares? You have been in a long term relationship and most of the time the girl makes the effort, right? Don't get too swept up in imaginary romance and focus on the man in front of you.

+1 - BEG- it is good because you are getting a lot more out of him than just a 'response'. You guys are having a good time, the conversation is flowing and you enjoy talking and each others company. This weekend is going to be great, I am excited for your Snowboarding, I wanna see pics and we need details!! :)

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Oh hun, you sound like me. I usually pursue the guy, and then sit around wondering why they don't call me! Well, it's because they don't have to. He likes you, and he doesn't have the anxiety of wondering if you like him - you made it known. So he's not knocking down your door to try to get you to nail down plans with him because he knows you're interested in him and will be available/make yourself available. I wouldn't advocate playing games, but if you find yourself crazy busy and stressed out, don't call him. Live your life, get your stuff in order, and let him miss you - he'll call you if he wants to see you and starts getting worried that maybe he was a little overconfident!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
ALSO, can I just say "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"???

Next Tuesday is the big annual Christmas charity bash here in my city. It's in an event hall at a major bank, uptown, and hugely popular (with an open bar). Which means - lots of bankers in attendance, I get to dress up super fancy, open bar, and lots of people to meet. It's a good way to make contacts with people uptown (I work outside of the business district, so I don't get a chance to meet people randomly at lunch and things), and there will be a lot of guys with awesome jobs there. (Yes, I'm a snob. I'm comfortable with that.)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I'm in a more rational frame of mind today (getting some sleep helped a lot!), and your words were what I needed to hear for sure!

Steal - true. I keep reminding myself - well I'm the type of person who's a planner, and he is very much NOT, and that by default puts a lot of plan-making on me :razz: And you're right, as long as we're having fun and I know there's interest on HIS part, I'm fine.

Princesss - Aww good for your friend C! And good that you're aware and toning down the flirting, you sexy girl you! I love bringing people together...ok, I may have dabbled in matchmaking in law school... with the two couples that got together because of me, one is STILL together (and probably will be one of the law school couples that get married) and the other had a HORRIBLE awkward break-up ... twice. So ... 50/50 ain't bad right?

And yes, the situation described - exactly it! I mean, yeah I'm glad I'm getting more forward/aggressive/confident/whatever, but it IS nice to be pursued :) No game playing for me, but we'll see what happens Sunday. Excellent advice - thank you!

And ok, I am excited about the Christmas charity bash! Sounds like so much fun - and hopefully there will be some HOT guys with awesome jobs there :D :D :D

Strawder - I plan to take pics on Sunday! Ok, this guy not having FB is just annoying :razz:

Ok, so can't get into all the details because it is WAY TOO LONG A STORY but basically, because my mom hates her new car because it's RWD and you just can't drive one of those in snowy, icy MT, I am getting a new car, which we are finalizing and picking up tomorrow. It's a 2011 AWD Rav 4, and I am in LOVE with it. Test drove it today - not only is it gorgeous (its a golden sand color) but it drives like a dream. The sales guy (who may have been hitting on my actually) had me driving around icy parking lots hitting the gas and the brakes and just doing lots of fun stuff that I would have totally killed myself in in a different car. Love car. :D

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi B.E.G,

I'm not single but have been following yr two threads with interest. First of all, kudos for making the first moves! :appl: I'm so glad that things seem to be working out. Now, as everyone else has said, just go with the flow and see how it goes from there. I would def not make any further plans or ask him out again, after this w/end. If he's genuinely interested, then *he* will ask you out. Everyone likes a challenge/ appreciates things more when they have to work for them, esp men imho. Let him do the chasing for a change. Also, I wouldn't make the first move to kiss him again this w/end. Let him initiate it.

Again, just mho.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I totally get what you're saying.

In the beginning, things are always kind of tough and confusing--at least to me. It kind of feels like smaller actions get magnified, and you're looking for clues, cues, signs, etc. I know I'd be in the same position of wondering if his non-planning tendencies are a 'sign' or if they're just a 'part of him'.

Since he is having 2 hour phone conversations with you--I'm definitely thinking that its the latter.

He doesn't have a Facebook? Neat! (I don't have one either, so I am a little biased)

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
...I had a fabulous night last eve with the guy I went out with last weekend when BDG bailed. Got home *way* too late and was not so happy when my alarm went off after only 4hrs of sleep. I'll need to think of an acronym for him if he becomes a mainstay. :naughty:

On another note, I just ordered P90x. I've been back at the gym a lot more recently and some people there convinced me to try it out. It's quite expensive ($150) but I justified it because I returned a pair of $400 boots that didn't fit. Seems like a reasonably responsible decision considering the boots weren't everyday wear kind of things. They were cute...sigh...

The holiday season is a poor time to start dating but a great time to get in shape. Perhaps a shift in my goals is in order.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Worst 3 days of my life.

Can't even go into it - I'm so drained, but my ex IMed me last night and GRILLED me on whether I was seeing someone, and this morning started off with the biggest fight ever (well definitely top three) with my mom, who is crazy. There is just way too much crazy to elaborate but basically I really really need to get out of this house, and after I leave next year, I am never coming back home again. Ever.

My mother is F'ing INSANE. I really want to get out of the house but I can't - I'm honestly afraid she'll take out her rage right now on my cats and throw them out on the street or something. It's THAT bad.

Phoenix and Indy - thanks girls. I appreciate the words, and Phoenix, I agree on the strategy. :)

MissPru - Yay for new guy! We need an acronym so we can refer to him :razz: I heard P90x was hardcore - you'll have to let us know how it goes. I think it was justified considering you returned the boots :D

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
BEG- girl you have a place to stay in Houston if you need to get away. I am sorry, that just plain sucks. I wish for you a speedy resolution that benefits you long term. Also, you have cute boy that likes you and your sweet self. So, go take the frustrations out on the snow and the mountains and have a blast on Sunday. Laugh and enjoy the hell out of your time. Truly,I will be sending you warm and wonderful vibes from Texas!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results