shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

cagenicolus

Rough_Rock
Great... it was good thinking to choose such colors who matched with their flag color. Prince Joachim great work and congratulation for your engagement .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 8:18:51 PM
Author: LadyMaria

Date: 6/27/2010 7:35:01 PM
Author: loriken214
Please explain to me who Mabel is????

Lori

In a nutshell, Mabel is the wife of the 2nd son of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Prince Johan Friso. Marrying Mabel caused him to lose his place in the Royal House and he is no longer in the line of succession. Their children, Luanna and Zaria, are not in the succession either.

The section on 'Controversy' in the wikipedia article barely scratches the surface, especially considering that Mabel herself tried altering the wikipedia entry (see story at http://static.rnw.nl/migratie/www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/dut070831mc-redirected)

This story gives a much more detailed timeline of the rise of 'Princess' Mabel.
http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/PandorasBox/041102.html

Hope this will give you some more insight!
Ewww, talk about baggage, but Queen Beatrix's husband was a former German soldier in Hitler's army, so I guess in terms of love, royalty doesn't seem to care much about backgrounds, as they did 100 years ago. Blame it on Prince Edward when he married Wallis!!

Anyway, on another note, Crown Princess Victoria married her personal trainer, but I can't find many photos on the net of the wedding, and only four on the Swedish royal family website. I see she wore the same crown as her mother wore to her own wedding (another commoner with a Nazi past). I can't believe Karl Gustaf was concerned about Victoria marrying a commoner and her personal trainer when he himself married a commoner with a dubious father. Thanks for listening to me whine.

Back on subject, any royal jewels from the wedding?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:44:33 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav

Date: 6/27/2010 2:56:21 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 6/27/2010 11:41:46 AM

And finaly Camilla (and QEQM) wearing a diamond bow brooch that was a wedding present to Lady Elizabeth in 1923:

The Queen Mum would be rolling over in her grave right now knowing that Camilla is wearing all her gems.
32.gif

Intersting to note that all three majour jewels worn by The Duchess of Cornwall (brooch, ring & necklace) came from the Queen Mother. Whether Her late Majesty is rolling in her grave now is something I don''t know.

I''ve wondered many times - Queen Elizabeth left all her personal jewels to her only surviving daughter - The Queen. She sure knew that her beloved grandson Charles really loves Mrs Parker-Bowls and that would probably marry her some day (after QEQM''s death). After this marriage and a possible succession by Charles he could freely let his beloved wife wear whatever piece of jewellery she might want to. Furthermore, it was The Queen''s decision to give the diamond ring to Charles, who in turn gave it to his fiancee. After the marriage we''ve seen Camilla wearing many jewels from Queen Mum''s collection. My point is that parhaps it was Queen Elizabeth''s personal decision to leave certain jewels for the use of the fure Princess of Wales, whoever she might be... And maybe we can regard these jewels as a form of acceptance from the royal family (The Queen in particular)? Don''t forget that Princes Willaiam and Henry have said that Camilla is a nice person, even cool I think they called her. What do you guys think?

The late Queen Mother wearing her wedding gift bow brooch:
Bobby,
I love this photo of the Queen Mother. She represents everything that royalty should stand for, at least for me.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 7:40:31 AM

Bobby posted some fabulous pictures on pages 200-203 of this thread. Josefine had some nice close-ups of the King Carl Gustav''s sisters on page 203.

I''ll warn you though...wear sunglasses! You''ll be blinded by some of the bling!
5.gif

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 2:56:21 PM
Date: 6/27/2010 11:41:46 AM

The Queen Mum would be rolling over in her grave right now knowing that Camilla is wearing all her gems.
32.gif

Hate to be negative but I agree.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I hadn't seen pg. 207 when I wrote the last post. I can't believe those shoes of Mabel's!!! They are too hilarious! How did everybody around her keep from staring at her feet all night? She tried to change the Wikipedia entry? What a hoot.

I think Princess Margaret of the Netherlands looks so pretty in the sapphire tiara; she wears it beautifully. But the gigantic bow, NO NO NO! In a stiff breeze she'd take flight. Thanks for the pic, Bobby.

Do the English royals dislike Camilla only because of her long affair w/Charles? I can understand their feelings on that but otherwise she should be right up their alley -- she's well bred & all that (no Mabel shoes) and horsey & likes country stuff so should have many interests in common with them. Their lives are all about duty (plus the QM's lifelong animosity toward the D&D of Windsor), so what they probably consider self-indulgence on the parts of Prince Charles & his women must be a tough pill to swallow. However, Charles was the QM's favorite grandchild, which makes me wonder if she left her jewels for his use. Camilla sure seems to be turning up in them lately.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 4:08:28 PM

PS: Did you take a photo of yourself with the Tsarina of Teaching tiara and dress? You''re the only gueast at the wedding whose photo I''ve not seen.

Bobby

Camera cord located...it was at Prince Consort''s work, like we suspected. I ended up wearing my Madam Mad Scientist tiara though, along with my tanzanite demi-parure.

Please remember...I rolled out of bed about 20 minutes before taking the picture...just enough time to throw on the dress, pin the tiara on, and put a little color on my cheeks for the sake of this picture...
20.gif

vicdanwedding2.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
And the fact that my 9 year old son took the pictures doesn''t help. He doesn''t know how to get flattering angles!

vicdanwedding4.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Please note: I am not wearing any bows...

vicdanwedding3.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 8:54:27 PM
Author: Imdanny

Bobby,

Thanks.

I''m not cruel to anyone. I can''t imagine anyone committing acts of torture (and worse) the way Henry VIII did and is portrayed as doing in the mini-series.

I did watch it. I think history and even historical fiction are interesting. Men (of a certain social class since the others weren''t allowed to wear any) had much better jewelry back then.

Good to hear that, Danny!

I also think that back then wealthy and powerful men had better jewels than woman did, especialy when it comes to headgear.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Anyway, on another note, Crown Princess Victoria married her personal trainer, but I can't find many photos on the net of the wedding, and only four on the Swedish royal family website. I see she wore the same crown as her mother wore to her own wedding (another commoner with a Nazi past). I can't believe Karl Gustaf was concerned about Victoria marrying a commoner and her personal trainer when he himself married a commoner with a dubious father. Thanks for listening to me whine.

Both The King and Prince Daniel made it clear in their speeches at the wedding that Daniel and Victoria waited all these years to marry, so that Daniel was sure that this is the life he wanted and that her was prepared for it. It think that every one is now sure that HM doesn't have nothing against his elder daughter's choice of husband. The King said that all he has ever wanted for Crown Princess Victoria is to be happy and he finaly made sure that she'll be happy with Daniel. As every father he must have had reserves about his future son-in-law but with the time they've disappeared.

You should distinguish the Queen Silvia from her father and his actions. In the rescent documentary Familjen Bernadotte, HM talked about her father's past. Though she tried avoiding these questions, she did talk a bit. Maybe Josefine can tell us what she said. I've read both theories - that he was and that he was not - but in interviews Walther Sommerlath has denied his membership in the party. Of course as long as he has not killed peaple (directly or not) there shouldn't be a problem.
You should also not forget that The King's maternal grandfather, Carl Edward, Duke of Saxe-Cobug-Gotha, supported the Nazi regime and was 'Hitler's favourite royal'. I don't remeber which of the siblings said it but The King and his sisters were quite big (late teens) when they relized that thy have many German relatives.

Link to the speeches - HM The King & HRH Prince Daniel

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 7:47:51 AM

Bobby,

I love this photo of the Queen Mother. She represents everything that royalty should stand for, at least for me.

I love the photo too, though it was a sad occasion (Remembrance Day 1983). With The Queen Mother's death an era had gone. She was indedd the epitome of a true royal (though born an aristocrat) - dignified, with a sense of duty, respect and of course style. She was also a loving wife, mother, grandmother and later grat-grandmother. IIRC, Prince William was very close to her and was deaply saddened by her death.

I still remeber how I understood that QEQM had died, how sad I felt and all the questions I was asking my mother (the poor woman couldn't answer them, as she's never been intersted in royalty).

Here's another photo of The Queen Mother I've always loved:

NPK001062.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 2:30:24 PM
Author: JewelFreak
Sorry, I hadn''t seen pg. 207 when I wrote the last post. I can''t believe those shoes of Mabel''s!!! They are too hilarious! How did everybody around her keep from staring at her feet all night? She tried to change the Wikipedia entry? What a hoot.

I think Princess Margaret of the Netherlands looks so pretty in the sapphire tiara; she wears it beautifully. But the gigantic bow, NO NO NO! In a stiff breeze she''d take flight. Thanks for the pic, Bobby.

Do the English royals dislike Camilla only because of her long affair w/Charles? I can understand their feelings on that but otherwise she should be right up their alley -- she''s well bred & all that (no Mabel shoes) and horsey & likes country stuff so should have many interests in common with them. Their lives are all about duty (plus the QM''s lifelong animosity toward the D&D of Windsor), so what they probably consider self-indulgence on the parts of Prince Charles & his women must be a tough pill to swallow. However, Charles was the QM''s favorite grandchild, which makes me wonder if she left her jewels for his use. Camilla sure seems to be turning up in them lately.

They dislike her? I didn''t know that, Laurie. As a said earlier, Princes William and Henry think that she''s cool. Princess Alexandra of Kent is a longtime friend of the couple and has always supported their marriage. The Queen and The DoE seem to have coped with Prince Charels'' choice of marital partner. The Duke of York can''t say much, having in mind who''s his ex. I''m not sure about the rest of the Royal Family, but I doubt they dislike Camilla (to many people''s regret).
You''re right, the main brach is intersted in horses and equestian sports, so Camilla has what to talk about with them. The ''second class'' members (Gloucesters & Kents) are more into tennis, but I''m sure Camilla can easily find a common topic to discuss with them (and I''m sure she does).

About the jewels - I almost agree with you on that. In a prevous post I said that I think QEQM has left certain jewels for the use of the fure Princess of Wales, whoever she might be... Through the years the Queen has used not one or two jewels from her mothe''s casket (mainly brooches). It is entirely up to HM as sole heir and thus owner of the jewels to decide what jewels to lend Camilla and what to wear herself. Of course there might be instuctions left by QEQM that certain jewels (the Greville tiara and necklaces, some brooches, etc) should be worn by Prince Charles'' wife.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 3:33:31 PM
Please note: I am not wearing any bows...

Very nice photos, Lady Maria. Thanks for sharing them. You sure were one of the best looking ladies at the wedding.

Your tiara remindes me of Queen Sofia''s diamond tiara (aka Nine Prong tiara) from the Bernadotte collection. But I think yours has 11 prongs and has flower design, right? Do you remember on which page you posted the photos of your tiaras?

Bobby

prswnkine.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 6:13:48 PM

Very nice photos, Lady Maria. Thanks for sharing them. You sure were one of the best looking ladies at the wedding.

Your tiara remindes me of Queen Sofia''s diamond tiara (aka Nine Prong tiara) from the Bernadotte collection. But I think yours has 11 prongs and has flower design, right? Do you remember on which page you posted the photos of your tiaras?

Bobby

My tiaras are on page 185. Your description was right on! I can see some similarities with mine and the Nine Prong. I think it also resembles the Poltimore a little too (a picture of the Politmore is around page 185 as well).

As for best looking ladies at the wedding...aw shucks...*blushing.* Thanks! I hardly doubt I come close considering those ladies were prepping and primping for hours. I didn''t. But it sure was fun to dress up for the wedding!
5.gif

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 5:25:24 PM

Here''s another photo of The Queen Mother I''ve always loved:

Have you seen the before and after pictures on the Honeycomb tiara? I think it looks so much better after the alterations that QEQM had done to it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2010 5:01:20 PM

Both The King and Prince Daniel made it clear in their speeches at the wedding that Daniel and Victoria waited all these years to marry, so that Daniel was sure that this is the life he wanted and that her was prepared for it. It think that every one is now sure that HM doesn't have nothing against his elder daughter's choice of husband. The King said that all he has ever wanted for Crown Princess Victoria is to be happy and he finaly made sure that she'll be happy with Daniel. As every father he must have had reserves about his future son-in-law but with the time they've disappeared.

You should distinguish the Queen Silvia from her father and his actions. In the rescent documentary Familjen Bernadotte, HM talked about her father's past. Though she tried avoiding these questions, she did talk a bit. Maybe Josefine can tell us what she said. I've read both theories - that he was and that he was not - but in interviews Walther Sommerlath has denied his membership in the party. Of course as long as he has not killed peaple (directly or not) there shouldn't be a problem.

You should also not forget that The King's maternal grandfather, Carl Edward, Duke of Saxe-Cobug-Gotha, supported the Nazi regime and was 'Hitler's favourite royal'. I don't remeber which of the siblings said it but The King and his sisters were quite big (late teens) when they relized that thy have many German relatives.

Link to the speeches - HM The King & HRH Prince Daniel

Bobby

Too bad that the Third Reich really put a stain on many royal families.

Bobby,
Do you know what these pink stones are? Queen Silvia looks radiant in her gown and gems.

102222749.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2010 7:47:51 AM

Bobby,

I love the photo too, though it was a sad occasion (Remembrance Day 1983). With The Queen Mother''s death an era had gone. She was indedd the epitome of a true royal (though born an aristocrat) - dignified, with a sense of duty, respect and of course style. She was also a loving wife, mother, grandmother and later grat-grandmother. IIRC, Prince William was very close to her and was deaply saddened by her death.

I still remeber how I understood that QEQM had died, how sad I felt and all the questions I was asking my mother (the poor woman couldn''t answer them, as she''s never been intersted in royalty).

Here''s another photo of The Queen Mother I''ve always loved:

I love that photo too. I miss the Queen Mum. She will always live in the hearts of the British people. Just the epitome of class, such a lady.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
MJ, you looked so lovely!!!!
36.gif

Can someone please explain to me why Lord Mountbatten had to change his name?

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 7:25:16 PM

Here's another photo of The Queen Mother I've always loved:

Have you seen the before and after pictures on the Honeycomb tiara? I think it looks so much better after the alterations that QEQM had done to it.

Yes, I've seen the before and after photos of the Honeycomb tiara. Thank God Queen Elizabeth altered it. It looked so much chunkier before.

Here's the tiara as inherited from Mrs Greville:

oldtiaragreville.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The altered version by Cartier with the diamonds from DeBeers:

newtiaragreville.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Queen Mother wearing three majour pieces from the Greville inheritance - the Honeycomb tiara, the five row diamond necklace and the diamond ear pendants:

*also Princess Olga of Serbia (nee of Greece&Denmark) is visibe wearing her ruby parure

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 7:57:21 PM

Too bad that the Third Reich really put a stain on many royal families.

Bobby,

Do you know what these pink stones are? Queen Silvia looks radiant in her gown and gems.

102222749.jpg

Yes, it''s too bad but this is one of the consequences of war and a mad ambitious man.

At the wedding Queen Silvia wore the pink topaz demi-parure. It has a long story with many owners and as now I''m in a hurry, will tell it later today.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I''m back at home. Here''s the story of the pink topazes - The Pink Topaz Demi-Parure consists of a necklace with three pendants, a large corsage brooch and a smaller one. The stones are set in a millegrain setting. The set was a present from Tzar Paul I of Russia to his daughter Maria on occasion of her marriage to Grand Duke Friedrich of Saxe-Weimar Eisenach in 1804. She in turn gave the set to her daughter Augusta (German Empress), who later presented it to her daughter Louise, mother of Queen Victoria of Sweden. That''s how the suite became part of the Bernadotte Foundation. The Demi-parure was among the favourites of Queen Louise (nee Mountbatten), who at some point converted the two side pendants of the corsage brooch into earrings. Since her death I''ve only seen Princess Désirée wearing the pink topazes at the pre-wedding concert for The King and Miss Silvia Sommerlath. Queen Silvia first wore the demi-parure for an official photo with the Braganza tiara early in her marriage. Since then only The Queen and Princess Christina have worn the set.

A detail of the necklace from the wedding:

ptnecklace__queen.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
One of the earrings, originally part of the large corsage brooch:

ptearrings_queen.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here's a favourite combination of mine - The Braganza tiara, the Pink Topaz demi-Parure in full splendour and the Vasa earrings, two massive diamond bracelets and a long diamond collet necklace with pendant - worn by Queen Louise:

205370.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I''ve posted this photo before, but now I have a good excuse to re-post it - th original demi-parure:

Pink_Topaz_Demi_Parure.JPG

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 4:52:45 AM
The photo:

RE: Picture of QEQM wearing the Honeycomb...

This is the first picture I''ve ever seen of her wearing that tiara in it''s original form! Cool find Bobby!

I still like the newer version much better!

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 2:18:01 AM
Author: loriken214
MJ, you looked so lovely!!!!
36.gif

Can someone please explain to me why Lord Mountbatten had to change his name?

Lori
It''s the same stoy why the house of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha changed into the House of Windsor, and Battenberg into Mountbatten (Lord of Milford-Heaven) and Teck became the Marquess of Cambridge,

there was a Anti-German movement during WW1 and in 1917 king George V changed the name of his house and asked his german relatives to do the same.

and a part of wiki source say this
On 17 July 1917, George appeased British nationalist feelings by issuing an Order-in-Council that changed the name of the British Royal House from the German-sounding House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the House of Windsor. He specifically adopted Windsor as the surname for all descendants of Queen Victoria then living in the United Kingdom, excluding women who married into other families and their descendants.[35]
Finally, he and his various relatives who were British subjects relinquished the use of all German titles and styles, and adopted British-sounding surnames. George compensated several of his male relatives by creating them British peers. Thus, overnight his cousin, Prince Louis of Battenberg, who earlier in the war had been forced to resign as First Sea Lord through anti-German feeling, became Louis Mountbatten, 1st Marquess of Milford Haven, while his brother-in-law, the Duke of Teck, became Adolphus Cambridge, 1st Marquess of Cambridge. Others, such as Princess Marie Louise and Princess Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein, simply dropped their territorial designations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results