shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Mathilde, The Duchess of Brabant wearing nine diamond earrings at the gala during the European Business Summit in Brussels:

93098363.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 12:25:39 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav

Date: 6/30/2010 11:55:38 AM
Author: neil31uk

I think it has been altered, it seems to be at more of an angle now. Also, the culinan diamond and the emeralds were all removed so maybe is was more tiara-like when that work was done. I would love to see it restored and used by Camila as a diadem if she does become the Princess Consort.

Neil, The Culinan diamonds and the Cambridge emeralds were removed long, long ago when Queen Mary still owned the diademe and at that time it was still a full circlet. Furthermore, Culinan IV was only an option to wear instead of the central diamond section (used now). Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother alterd the tiara at least once - she removed the diamond band on top.

Queen Mary wering the Delhi Durbar tiara with the Culinan IV (center), the diamond band and the Cambridge emeralds (spikes) - Photo

Bobby
That's true. Queen Mary altered the Dehli Durbar Tiara after she bought the Vladimir Tiara (Pearldrops) there she altered this that she can wear it with the pearls (original) or with the Cambrige emeralds (which were set before on the Dehli Tiara). The Cambrige Emeralds have their own story. But Queen Mary mixed those with the emeralds she received from India.
The Diamond on the necklace (from the Ladies of India) is the one which Edward VII gave Queen Alexandra from the Cullinan.

and of course Munn's book is a kind of "bible" but it contains ALL tiaras which were on shown at the V&A some years ago.

this year at the BP oping will be the Vladimir tiara with pearls on display.

Durbar03.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a good photo of the earrings that Crown Princess Victoria was wearing to her pre-wedding concert? They looked lush!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like a lot of us know about the Munn books, both the "Tiara Bible" aka "Tiaras: A History of Splendor" and the newer one "Tiaras: Past and Present."

I have both of these. What other books would people recommend be in any royal jewelry lover''s library?

fogdancer

Shiny_Rock
Here is a close view of the Crown Princess Victoria Of Sweden Pre Wedding Dinner earrings and her hair has a pin that is Called Cupid arrow....sweet isn''t it?
30.gif

2010-0618-sweden-victoria4.jpg

fogdancer

Shiny_Rock
Again a live perspective of the arrow of Cupid in the hair
20.gif
of Crown Princess Victoria Of Sweden Pre Wedding Dinner

2010-0618-sweden-victoria3.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 1:59:18 AM
Author: fogdancer
Here is a close view of the Crown Princess Victoria Of Sweden Pre Wedding Dinner earrings and her hair has a pin that is Called Cupid arrow....sweet isn''t it?
30.gif
I''ve seen those earrings before - can''t remember the occasion - and I just assumed that they where costume jewellery... seeing her wearing them to such an importened occasion makes me think that they are not....

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 7:32:56 PM
Author: alexander1917

That's true. Queen Mary altered the Dehli Durbar Tiara after she bought the Vladimir Tiara (Pearldrops) there she altered this that she can wear it with the pearls (original) or with the Cambrige emeralds (which were set before on the Dehli Tiara). The Cambrige Emeralds have their own story. But Queen Mary mixed those with the emeralds she received from India.

The Diamond on the necklace (from the Ladies of India) is the one which Edward VII gave Queen Alexandra from the Cullinan.

and of course Munn's book is a kind of 'bible' but it contains ALL tiaras which were on shown at the V&A some years ago.

Alexander, I've always believed that the emerlad drops for the Vladimir tiara came from the DD tiara's spikes and 10 more stones from the Cambridge ememralds. All 15 emeralds belong the the lottary-won set of emeralds. The only jewels which I know for sure that were presented to Queen Mary for the Durbar from the Ladies of India are the hexagonal carved emerald brooch and the necklace. Of course yu're right that Queen Mary wore all pieces (Indian & Cambridge emeralds) as a parure. BTW, the diamond pendant on the necklace isn't the one Edward VII gave Queen Alexandra. Queen Alexandra's diamond (Cullinan VI) is now set in a brooch together with #VIII. The necklace's pendant is Cullinan VII.

Here's a link to my source - Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

And another photo of Queen Mary wearing the Delhi Durbar tiara with the emeralds:

durbardr1230.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Mary wearing the entire perure - the Durbar tiara with Cullinan IV and emerald spikes, the previous version of the Cambridge choker, the brooch and necklace from the Ladies of India, the stomacher, brooch and bracelet with some of the Cambridge emeralds & Cullinan diamonds and the earrings (one of which with a C stone, the other with a new emerald):

3280292_111.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 6:19:39 AM

Date: 6/30/2010 7:32:56 PM

and of course Munn's book is a kind of 'bible' but it contains ALL tiaras which were on shown at the V&A some years ago.

Alexander, I've always believed that the emerlad drops for the Vladimir tiara came from the DD tiara's spikes and 10 more stones from the Cambridge ememralds. All 15 emeralds belong the the lottary-won set of emeralds. The only jewels which I know for sure that were presented to Queen Mary for the Durbar from the Ladies of India are the hexagonal carved emerald brooch and the necklace. Of course yu're right that Queen Mary wore all pieces (Indian & Cambridge emeralds) as a parure. BTW, the diamond pendant on the necklace isn't the one Edward VII gave Queen Alexandra. Queen Alexandra's diamond (Cullinan VI) is now set in a brooch together with #VIII. The necklace's pendant is Cullinan VII.

Here's a link to my source - Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

And another photo of Queen Mary wearing the Delhi Durbar tiara with the emeralds:
but it's a Cullinan, so I was not totally wrong :))

the emerald choker went later to Diana.

BTW there were 40!! gratuated cabochon emeralds in this lottery at Frankfurt.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Of course you're not completely wrong, Alexander. Sometimes I also mix all these Cullinans and have to check which is which.

Cambridge emeralds - I think they are more then 40. Here's what I have - 16 emeralds in the choker, 15 hanging from the Vladimir tiara, 12 set in the stomacher and a brooch, 3 used for the bracelet and one in the earrings (the other stone was supplied by Garrards). That makes a total of 47 stones used in various jewels.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Cambridge and Indian emeralds (only the stomacher is missing). IIRC this photo was taken some years ago at one of BP's openings:

71513129.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 8:10:06 AM
The Cambridge and Indian emeralds (only the stomacher is missing). IIRC this photo was taken some years ago at one of BP''s openings:

WOW!!!! All I want is one LITTLE Emerald! IS that too much to ask?! I do at least own the sapphire that will do in my ering!

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Bobby, I had always assumed that the diadem was made just to have the Cullinan IV and then altered after. I have even seen a pic of it without the emeralds, but with the Cullinan III and IV, not sure it worked well though. I will try and find the picture.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 8:26:07 AM
Author: neil31uk
Thanks Bobby, I had always assumed that the diadem was made just to have the Cullinan IV and then altered after. I have even seen a pic of it without the emeralds, but with the Cullinan III and IV, not sure it worked well though. I will try and find the picture.

Found it!
link

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely! If you''ve any interest in the British royal jewels, Leslie Field''s "The Queen''s Jewels" is a must. Also, there''s a great book in Danish by Bjarne Jensen from the RJWMB/GRJ message boards about the Danish crown jewels: "Juvelerne I Det Danske Kongehus."

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I saw the emeralds at this opning some years ago. shortly after HM wore the emerald brooch (the indian one) for the first time when she said good-bya to her guest of State (forgotten which one- may I found th epic in my vaults LOL).

Queen Mary bought the Vladimir Tiara in 1921. so the DDTiara was altered. I think some of the emeralds came also from Queen Victoria and Queen Alexandra. They received both very nice presents (and loose gems) from India.

but you know, there are some "faults" in Fields or Menkes books.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 11:31:49 AM
Author: shadowed_rain
Absolutely! If you''ve any interest in the British royal jewels, Leslie Field''s ''The Queen''s Jewels'' is a must. Also, there''s a great book in Danish by Bjarne Jensen from the RJWMB/GRJ message boards about the Danish crown jewels: ''Juvelerne I Det Danske Kongehus.''

I''m actually interested in royal jewels other than the British ones. The Munn books seem to concentrate on those. I''ll have to see if I can track down the book in Danish!

Thanks!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 8:51:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Does anyone have a good photo of the earrings that Crown Princess Victoria was wearing to her pre-wedding concert? They looked lush!

As close as possible. On RJWMB it was cmomented that these jewels date back to 1770 and haven''t been seen since a long time and that they''ve left the main line of the family long ago. Also on that board they said that perhaps The King has bought them back and that they were his wedding present to Victoria.

20829045.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Those earrings are stunning! As was Victoria's dress the night before the wedding. Just terrific on her.

Queen Mary did the DD tiara a huge favor when she changed it. Every time I see a photo of her or Alexandra wearing an avalanche of jewels I marvel at how well they looked in them. I don't know what it was, stature, clothing styles, or our expectations nowadays, but they look wonderful where a modern royal decked out in all that would be overwhelmed. I'm SURE you'd need the right corset to carry off a stomacher, like a very strong one!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 11:39:35 AM
Author: LadyMaria
Date: 7/1/2010 11:31:49 AM

Author: shadowed_rain

Absolutely! If you''ve any interest in the British royal jewels, Leslie Field''s ''The Queen''s Jewels'' is a must. Also, there''s a great book in Danish by Bjarne Jensen from the RJWMB/GRJ message boards about the Danish crown jewels: ''Juvelerne I Det Danske Kongehus.''

I''m actually interested in royal jewels other than the British ones. The Munn books seem to concentrate on those. I''ll have to see if I can track down the book in Danish!

Thanks!

Actually, as far as I know Field has made some errors in her book and it''s mostly about British jewels.

I''ve read that Juvelerne I Det Danske Kongehus is an interesting book with lots of reliable info and nice photos. But you have to know Danish or use a dictionary (or Google translate) in order to understand what''s written in it.

Here''s the cover:

juvel.jpeg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 12:38:02 PM
Author: JewelFreak
Those earrings are stunning! As was Victoria''s dress the night before the wedding. Just terrific on her.

Queen Mary did the DD tiara a huge favor when she changed it. Every time I see a photo of her or Alexandra wearing an avalanche of jewels I marvel at how well they looked in them. I don''t know what it was, stature, clothing styles, or our expectations nowadays, but they look wonderful where a modern royal decked out in all that would be overwhelmed. I''m SURE you''d need the right corset to carry off a stomacher, like a very strong one!

I think they looked quite good for the time they lived in (well, sometimes QA was a bit OTT). Women''s style started changing after WWI. The women started wearing shorter hair and less jewels. We should also not forget that these two Queens were als Empresses and they had to show it somehow. And what''s better than wearings a small fortune over your head, neck, clothes.
Cornelius Vanderbilt Jr. has said that Queen Alexandra was known to possess the world’s most perfect shoulders and bosom for the display of jewels (the quote can be found in Field''s The Queen''s Jewels). I think the same can be said for Queen Mary. As you said, they lived in the era of corsets and I''m sure a special harder/stronger fabric was used to support the weight their jewels.

Here''s another photo of Queen Mary wearng the parure, originally posted by LadyAmythyst69 on page 40:
may8.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 11:33:19 AM
Yes, I saw the emeralds at this opning some years ago. shortly after HM wore the emerald brooch (the indian one) for the first time when she said good-bya to her guest of State (forgotten which one- may I found th epic in my vaults LOL).

Queen Mary bought the Vladimir Tiara in 1921. so the DDTiara was altered. I think some of the emeralds came also from Queen Victoria and Queen Alexandra. They received both very nice presents (and loose gems) from India.

but you know, there are some ''faults'' in Fields or Menkes books.

If you have troubles finding the photo, I can post it! LOL

I''ve never heard that some of the emerlads for the parure were from Queens Victoria or Alexandra... Queen Victoria sure had many emerlads presented from the Indian rulers. She also had a parure of emeralds, but their fate is unknown (to me at least).
Th only refference to Queen Alexandra receiving emerlalds is here - Link And the only time I''ve seen her wearing such stones was at her and her husband''s Coronation. She sure owned some emerlad jewels, though.

Here''s Queen Victoria wearing many cabochon emeralds (part of a painting of the RF by Winterhalter) HM''s serpant engagement ring with emerlad is also visible:

htfdbf.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Victoria wearing her emerald necklace, brooch and earrings with the emerlad tiara designed by Prince Albert:

mw421421.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 8:02:42 AM
Of course you''re not completely wrong, Alexander. Sometimes I also mix all these Cullinans and have to check which is which.

Cambridge emeralds - I think they are more then 40. Here''s what I have - 16 emeralds in the choker, 15 hanging from the Vladimir tiara, 12 set in the stomacher and a brooch, 3 used for the bracelet and one in the earrings (the other stone was supplied by Garrards). That makes a total of 47 stones used in various jewels.

Bobby

I was wrong! There are only 9 emeralds in the stomacher and the brooch. Thus a total of 44 emeralds.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit surprised that no one has posted about this yet...

Today would have been Diana, Princess of Wales'' 49th birthday! She was a woman we''ll never forget! May she rest in peace...

52103453.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Diana, when stil The Princess of Wales, wearing Queen Mary''s Lover''s Knot tiara in Brazil, 1991:

52117966.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Since we were discussing the Cambridge emeralds today...

30c8wf15.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy Canada Day to all Canadian posters and lurkers!

CanadaDay2010Queen.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today The Queen wore her Maple leaf brooch (surprise, surprise):

More about the brooch here - Link

QueenCanadaDay2010.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results