color
clarity

Royal Jewels

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2010 8:16:27 AM
Author: prince.of.preslav
I''ve posted this photo before, but now I have a good excuse to re-post it - th original demi-parure:
Thanks for posting all of that again Bobby. I had a feeling they were pink topazes. They also look like very light amethysts to me. I wonder where the original gems were mined, in Russia? You rarely see such large pink topazes these days.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 4:47:53 AM
The altered version by Cartier with the diamonds from DeBeers:

Are the 5 diamonds that make up each new point all from DeBeers? Obviously the marquise cut ones had to be new, but the round ones look like they could have been reused from the original tiara.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 12:07:43 PM
Author: LadyMaria
Date: 6/29/2010 4:47:53 AM

The altered version by Cartier with the diamonds from DeBeers:

Are the 5 diamonds that make up each new point all from DeBeers? Obviously the marquise cut ones had to be new, but the round ones look like they could have been reused from the original tiara.

Well, I wrote what I know. For the alternation Cartier used diamonds that have been presented to King George VI/Queen Elizabeth on their visit to SA by DeBeers. You can clearly see that in the altered version of the tiara there are 6 stone spikes/tops, whereas the origial tiara had 5 stone bars. Since only five of the top bars were remodeled (4 on the sides + 1 center), that makes 5 more diamonds in the currant version. I guess all these were supplied bt The Queen Mother. As the changes in the tiara were made in 1953, can we assume that the stones were and inheritance from the late King?

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
The jewels remained in their boxes for several years as the King was unsure of accpeting gifts from subjects. The Queen finally wore Mrs Greville's tiara for the first time in 1947. Above in the original version, later, it was altered from Cartier with several diamonds on the top. According to Munn, the added height (work by Cartier) used "diamonds given to Edward VII by de Beers in 1900".

When I remeber right, the Greville treasure include not only the honycomb tiara, the 5(3) row necklace and the ruby brooch, but also a demi-parure of emeralds...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
So it was Edward Vii's diamonds, not George VI. I stand corrected then. I was lisled because King George VI and Queen Elizabeth have payed a State Visit to SA too.
I think that this has never been officialy confirmed, but yes, the emerald necklace and earrings that The Queen Mum wore supposingly have Greville provenance (part of the inheritance). Queen Elizabeth also had bracelets which have typically Grivellian characteristics (geometrical design). I think that the emeralds haven't made an appearance since the 1970s. QEQM wore them at many occasions such as the Iranian and Dutch state visits, the wedding of Princess Margrethe of Denmark and (IIRC) her 70th birthday. She wore the earrings at Prince Charels' christianing.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
BIg HOle visit and gifts, 18th april 1947 :
King George VI (399 for a new Garter Star)
Queen Elizabeth (maquise cut 8.5 ct - set into a ring)
Princess Elizabeth (a 6 ct stone, later the central stone of the bracelet from her "best diamonds" which she received during the SA tour for her 21st birthday)
Margret (emerald cut 4.5 ct set into a ring)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 4:08:39 PM
Author: alexander1917

Princess Elizabeth (a 6 ct stone, later the central stone of the bracelet from her ''best diamonds'' which she received during the SA tour for her 21st birthday)

I suppose BIg HOle reffers to the stones TM and TRH received from DeBeers during their tour of South Africa in 1947, right? Thank you very much for this information. May I ask where''s it from?

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Big Hole is the DeBeers mine in South Africa

HM receives her necklace, which was later altered shortened and a bracelet made out of it, in Johannesburg.

sources are: Field the Queen's Jewels, Queen Elizabeth - Vickers, and the official guide of the BP (Buckingham Palaca) opneing last year ( the Queen abroad)

pics are seen here

http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen/21th-birthday-diamonds.htm

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 4:23:16 PM
Date: 6/29/2010 4:08:39 PM

Author: alexander1917

Princess Elizabeth (a 6 ct stone, later the central stone of the bracelet from her ''best diamonds'' which she received during the SA tour for her 21st birthday)

I suppose BIg HOle reffers to the stones TM and TRH received from DeBeers during their tour of South Africa in 1947, right? Thank you very much for this information. May I ask where''s it from?

Bobby

I note how the size of the stones reduces the further you get in the order of succession! Poor Margaret!

I remember from the auction of HRH Princess Margaret''s jewels after her death that there was huge aquamarine that she had set in a ring by a very talented artist/jeweller who wasn''t so interested in the value of the stones as the design he set them in. Anyone got a picture of it?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, yes! Poor Margaret... she only got a tiny 4.5ct stone. Now really - I wonder how this ring looked like. Pity that we don''t have many photos of the royal hands.

Re the aqua ring - I just scanned the e-catalogue and only saw this (Link) aquamarine and diamond ring, which looks quite classical. There''s also an intersting aquamarine and diamond brooch. Are you sure the ring was from Princess Margaret?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Queen of Canada...in Canada - Day 2 - The Queen wore the sapphire and diamond grape brooch from her mother and nice hat with bow!

For some reason I can't post photos, that's why I'm posting the link - Queen Elizabeth II Visits Canada - Day 2

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 5:09:42 PM
Oooh, yes! Poor Margaret... she only got a tiny 4.5ct stone.

I''ll take that "tiny" stone any day!!
4.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 5:15:11 PM
The Queen of Canada...in Canada - Day 2 - The Queen wore the sapphire and diamond grape brooch from her mother and nice hat with bow!

For some reason I can't post photos, that's why I'm posting the link - Queen Elizabeth II Visits Canada - Day 2

Bobby
Thank you for the link, Bobby. I've been having trouble posting pictures today, as well.

Just want to say how much I've been enjoying this thread, the photos of the QE2 jewels, and the recent Royal Wedding in Sweden.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, yes! Poor Margaret... she only got a tiny 4.5ct stone. Now really - I wonder how this ring looked like. Pity that we don''t have many photos of the royal hands.

Re the aqua ring - I just scanned the e-catalogue and only saw this (Link) aquamarine and diamond ring, which looks quite classical. There''s also an intersting aquamarine and diamond brooch. Are you sure the ring was from Princess Margaret?

Bobby
That is one overpriced, boring aqua ring.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock

Bobby

I could swear there was another aquamarine ring, but this broach is possibly what I was thinking of . link

This pair of earrings are rather nice though link

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 7:26:19 PM

I''ll take that ''tiny'' stone any day!!
4.gif

There was certain note of sarcasm in my post. Don''t know it you noticed it. I''m sure Princess Margaret was quite pleased with the ring she received. And so you would.
We can''t expect that all three royal ladies would be given a 10ct stone, can we? Of course the size of the diamonds (and/or their quantity) derives from one''s position in the state. King&Queen > Heiress > Second daughter

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 8:13:00 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

WOW! I just noticed the price of the ring and can't believe it. With an estimate of GBP 400-600, it reached GBP 28800! Really overpriced. Guess someone really wanted it.

Re the pink topaz demi-parure - Since the set was a gift from the Russian Tzar, it's save to assume that the stones were mined in Russia. The Russian mines have suppleied stones for other gifts by the Russian autocrat.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy 46th birthday to HE Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, ex-wife of Prince Joachim of Denmark!

Since today I can't post photos again, here's a link - Countess Alexandra's photos

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday evening Elizabeth II and Prince Philip attended a reception for A Celebration of Novia Scotia at the Cunard Centre. HM wore a new brooch in the form of a maple spray with enamal, diamonds and a pearl - Link

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
I already read so much about this brooch, but never saw it jet.. wow. very nice :)

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 6:01:06 AM
Date: 6/29/2010 8:13:00 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

WOW! I just noticed the price of the ring and can''t believe it. With an estimate of GBP 400-600, it reached GBP 28800! Really overpriced. Guess someone really wanted it.

Re the pink topaz demi-parure - Since the set was a gift from the Russian Tzar, it''s save to assume that the stones were mined in Russia. The Russian mines have suppleied stones for other gifts by the Russian autocrat.

Bobby

On the subject of pink topaz jewels, this was one of Queen Mary''s that she left to Princess Margaret link

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
I think I may have confused the aqua broach with this rather lovely diamond ring link

This is a rather lovely piece by the same artist/jeweller, the setting is a clever use of smaller diamonds.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 5:50:31 AM
av

I''ll take that ''tiny'' stone any day!![/quote]

There was certain note of sarcasm in my post. Don''t know it you noticed it. I''m sure Princess Margaret was quite pleased with the ring she received. And so you would.

We can''t expect that all three royal ladies would be given a 10ct stone, can we? Of course the size of the diamonds (and/or their quantity) derives from one''s position in the state. King&Queen > Heiress > Second daughter

Bobby

[/quote]

Oh yes, sarcasm was fully noted!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Man, what is the deal with not being able to post pictures all the sudden??

I''ve been wondering if the Dehli Durbar tiara has been altered. In it''s original form it looks like a full circlet. But when Camilla wears it it looks more like a tiara.

What do you think?

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 11:08:01 AM

I''ve been wondering if the Dehli Durbar tiara has been altered. In it''s original form it looks like a full circlet. But when Camilla wears it it looks more like a tiara.

What do you think?

I think it has been altered, it seems to be at more of an angle now. Also, the culinan diamond and the emeralds were all removed so maybe is was more tiara-like when that work was done. I would love to see it restored and used by Camila as a diadem if she does become the Princess Consort.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 11:08:01 AM

What do you think?

I also think they''ve altered the diademe in 2005. Maybe they separated it in two pieces and hopefully it can be restored if required. Now it has a more tiara look instead of the cirsle it was before.

On this photo it is clearly visible that it was an uninterrupt circle when the photo was taken (isn''t it from Munn''s Tiara Bible) - Photo
And a photo from GettyImages of Camilla wearing it in 2005 - you can see that it''s placed on an angle, unlike straight on top if it were a circle - Photo

PS: I''m also wondering why photos can''t be posted for the second day now!? And till when can we post here without loosing our posts when the new system comes into action?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 11:55:38 AM
Author: neil31uk

I think it has been altered, it seems to be at more of an angle now. Also, the culinan diamond and the emeralds were all removed so maybe is was more tiara-like when that work was done. I would love to see it restored and used by Camila as a diadem if she does become the Princess Consort.

Neil, The Culinan diamonds and the Cambridge emeralds were removed long, long ago when Queen Mary still owned the diademe and at that time it was still a full circlet. Furthermore, Culinan IV was only an option to wear instead of the central diamond section (used now). Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother alterd the tiara at least once - she removed the diamond band on top.

Queen Mary wering the Delhi Durbar tiara with the Culinan IV (center), the diamond band and the Cambridge emeralds (spikes) - Photo

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Teh Queen in Canada - Day 3 - Today The Queen & Prince Philip visited the Canadian Museum of Nature. HM wore the Scallop brooch of her mother - Photo

And here''s a photo of HM with her ladies in waiting Lady Diana Farnham & Lady Susan Hussey - Photo

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday King Albert II and Queen Paola of the Belgians arrived in Congo to mark th 50th anniversary of former Belgian Congo's independence.

Queen Paola at yesterday's fashion show wearing an ivory necklace and simple gold hoops and braclet (wooden?) - Photo

Her Majesty at the gala dinner evening - wearing a single pearl strand and earrings, gold bracelets and whet looks like a sapphire ring - Photo

Today TM attended the ceremonies marking the 50th anniversary of the country's independence from Belgium - HM wore the jewels from the gala and a dragon fly brooch - Photo

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
HRH Princess Margaret of the Netherlands today opened the the summer exhibition Custom beauty at the Royal palace in Amsterdam. HM wore a gold necklace, sapphire and diamond earrings and a brooch with sapphire/diamond center:

ETA - Hurrah! We can post photos again!

Bobby

PPE10062927.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results