carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 7:26:24 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Regarding the Delhi Durbar, I think that there were other reasons for it''s staying in the vault. Remeber that this dideme was created for the Durbar/Coronation of George V and Queen Mary as Imperor and Empress of India. Later on it was given to Queen Elizabeth and she wore it at least once (I have an interesting photo from that occasion). QEQM was the last Empress of India and perhaps she felt it was inappropriate to wear it after the end of the monarchy in India. This diademe now (IMO at least) reperesents the past of the Windsors/SCG''s/Hanoverians as colonizatorsand is not the most appropriate jewel to wear constantly. Of course it might have been The Queen Mother''s wish not to wear it more often for whatever other reason. Obviously it was the right choice for the new Duchess of Cornwall to wear it during the State Banquet for the Norwegian King and his family in 2005, the only European royal state visit Camilla has attended.

Prince Henry''s title - Please not the Duke of Windsor title! I don''t think Britain is ready for another DoW and I hope Henry won''t betray Britain and the British people the way Edward VIII did. Maybe, just maybe, shall the PoW be skipped as King or abdicate in favour of his elder son, maybe then they can create him DoW - as the most senior representative and head of the royal house, as patriarch.

Bobby

Xharles won''t be passed over, he will be King unless he pre-deceases QEII.

As for Prince Harry, there are plenty of titles traditionally given to junior members of the royal family that don''t include the DoW title. DoW is tainted forever adn will probably never be used again. Harry could become Duke of Cambridge, Duke of Sussex, Duke of Clarence, or even Duke of Connaught, None is currently in use and all have been royal dukedoms, held by a son or grandson of a monarch.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 7:26:24 PM
Regarding the Delhi Durbar, I think that there were other reasons for it''s staying in the vault. Remeber that this dideme was created for the Durbar/Coronation of George V and Queen Mary as Imperor and Empress of India. Later on it was given to Queen Elizabeth and she wore it at least once (I have an interesting photo from that occasion). QEQM was the last Empress of India and perhaps she felt it was inappropriate to wear it after the end of the monarchy in India. This diademe now (IMO at least) reperesents the past of the Windsors/SCG''s/Hanoverians as colonizatorsand is not the most appropriate jewel to wear constantly. Of course it might have been The Queen Mother''s wish not to wear it more often for whatever other reason. Obviously it was the right choice for the new Duchess of Cornwall to wear it during the State Banquet for the Norwegian King and his family in 2005, the only European royal state visit Camilla has attended.

Prince Henry''s title - Please not the Duke of Windsor title! I don''t think Britain is ready for another DoW and I hope Henry won''t betray Britain and the British people the way Edward VIII did. Maybe, just maybe, shall the PoW be skipped as King or abdicate in favour of his elder son, maybe then they can create him DoW - as the most senior representative and head of the royal house, as patriarch.

Bobby

Charles won''t be passed over, he will be King unless he pre-deceases QEII.

As for Prince Harry, there are plenty of titles traditionally given to junior members of the royal family that don''t include the DoW title. DoW is tainted forever adn will probably never be used again. Harry could become Duke of Cambridge, Duke of Sussex, Duke of Clarence, or even Duke of Connaught, None is currently in use and all have been royal dukedoms, held by a son or grandson of a monarch.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 6:25:09 PM
Author: LadyMaria
It is interesting to think how much time needs to pass before it would be ''appropriate'' to wear the jewels of a deceased ancestor, especially one who died under tragic circumstances. Look how long it took for the Dehli Durbar tiara to resurface again.

Along the same lines with titles...I once read an article that mentioned the possibility of Prince Edward being created Duke of Windsor at his marriage, or Prince Harry getting this title in the future ( see http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/the-laird-othistle/142-a-dukedom-for-harry it is an interesting read). It mentions that we may have to have a bit more time before that title will lose the negative connotations of the abdication.

Prince Edward is set t become the Duke of Edinburgh after the Death of Prince Phillip, I think mainly as he would like t see his title continue down the line. Edward is very involved in some of Prince Phillip''s charities and organisations, including the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme for young people. Hence Edward only became an Earl on his wedding day.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Is Prince William engaged or not? I've read differing accounts.

I'm going to get blasted for this but I don't think his girlfriend compares to his mother at all.

I know. I'm a terrible person.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 1:35:48 AM
Author: Imdanny
Is Prince William engaged or not? I''ve read differing accounts.

I''m going to get blasted for this but I don''t think his girlfriend compares to his mother at all.

I know. I''m a terrible person.

No, he''s not engaged. Trust me if he wass the UK media would be going on about it!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Neil.

I remember Charles' and Diana's wedding, and of course everything that has happened since. I realize obviously that William's wedding will be a big deal, but I feel it's going to be packaged as a 'fairy tale,' and I think some of us who witnessed the hype and then the failure not to mention the spectacular tragedy are not going to be impressed with another 'fairy tale.'

On the hand, hope springs eternal, and if William wants to marry his girlfriend I wish them every happiness in the world, and furthermore nobody is ever going to compare to his mother so I'm probably being quite unfair to her.

I'm off topic, since the subject of the thread is jewels, so I apologize about this. Thanks again.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2010 8:01:49 PM
Author: neil31uk

Charles won''t be passed over, he will be King unless he pre-deceases QEII.

Thank you, Neil! That''s what I forgot to add in my post.

I also think that Prince Charles won''t be passed-over. That makes the use of the title Duke of Windsor really unlikely.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 6:37:44 AM
Thanks, Neil.

I remember Charles'' and Diana''s wedding, and of course everything that has happened since. I realize obviously that William''s wedding will be a big deal, but I feel it''s going to be packaged as a ''fairy tale,'' and I think some of us who witnessed the hype and then the failure not to mention the spectacular tragedy are not going to be impressed with another ''fairy tale.''

On the hand, hope springs eternal, and if William wants to marry his girlfriend I wish them every happiness in the world, and furthermore nobody is ever going to compare to his mother so I''m probably being quite unfair to her.

I''m off topic, since the subject of the thread is jewels, so I apologize about this. Thanks again.

You''re not off-topic, Danny. Anything that can lead to a glittering (and happy) royal occasion is on-topic here (for me at least). We''ve had similar talks about engagements and titles here before, so don''t worry.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a few more details on Charlene''s engagement ring from People magazine:

"Created by Parisian jewelry house Maison Repossi, the sparkler–the jeweler’s Téthys design–is a pear-shaped center diamond set in gray gold and embellished with round diamond brilliants. "

I''m guessing the center stone is at least 3 carats.

Here''s a close up of the ring.

charlenealbertring.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2010 7:29:17 PM
Princess Mabel wearing her wedding tiara...and...oh no...trousers... I think this could be a very nice and feminine dress, but the trousers and that curtain ruined it. And her husband forgot the breast star and badge of the Order of the Netherlands Lion. Oh, this couple!

I just read an article that Mabel''s outfit at the wedding did not exactly get rave reviews by the Dutch media. "The worst-dressed at the wedding was easily Dutch Princess Mabel, who wore black trousers and what appeared to be a white tulle skirt half tucked into the waistband of her pants. Quelle horreur!"

"Not a dress is always wrong! How dare she upstage the bride!" according to a Dutch commentator.

Her wedding tiara (the only tiara I''ve ever seen her wear) is quite pretty and I think it is a shame to see it go to waste with outfits like these.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I just found a photo from Luxembourg''s National day gala - The Grand Duchess has worn Marie-Adelaide''s tiara and a pair of sapphire earrings:

Fete_Nationale3_08.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Crown Princess Mary wearing moonstone and gold earrings at the opening of Copenhagen Fortifications at Trekroner, Copenhagen on June 25:

2j5l9jq.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 11:16:37 AM

I just read an article that Mabel's outfit at the wedding did not exactly get rave reviews by the Dutch media. 'The worst-dressed at the wedding was easily Dutch Princess Mabel, who wore black trousers and what appeared to be a white tulle skirt half tucked into the waistband of her pants. Quelle horreur!'

'Not a dress is always wrong! How dare she upstage the bride!' according to a Dutch commentator.

Her wedding tiara (the only tiara I've ever seen her wear) is quite pretty and I think it is a shame to see it go to waste with outfits like these.

So the Ditch also didn't like Mabel's outfit... Nice to hear it. Do you have a link to this article? I'd like to read it.

'Not a dress is always wrong! How dare she upstage the bride!' - what did this comentator mean? That Princess Mabels' dress was better than Crown Princess Victoria's?

PS: Did you take a photo of yourself with the Tsarina of Teaching tiara and dress? You're the only gueast at the wedding whose photo I've not seen.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 4:08:28 PM
Date: 6/26/2010 11:16:37 AM

I just read an article that Mabel''s outfit at the wedding did not exactly get rave reviews by the Dutch media. ''The worst-dressed at the wedding was easily Dutch Princess Mabel, who wore black trousers and what appeared to be a white tulle skirt half tucked into the waistband of her pants. Quelle horreur!''

''Not a dress is always wrong! How dare she upstage the bride!'' according to a Dutch commentator.

Her wedding tiara (the only tiara I''ve ever seen her wear) is quite pretty and I think it is a shame to see it go to waste with outfits like these.

So the Ditch also didn''t like Mabel''s outfit... Nice to hear it. Do you have a link to this article? I''d like to read it.

''Not a dress is always wrong! How dare she upstage the bride!'' - what did this comentator mean? That Princess Mabels'' dress was better than Crown Princess Victoria''s?

PS: Did you take a photo of yourself with the Tsarina of Teaching tiara and dress? You''re the only gueast at the wedding whose photo I''ve not seen.

Bobby

Here''s the article!

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblognl_news_summary/2010/06/dutch-fury-over-dress-of-princess-mabel.html

It also didn''t have nice things to say about Princess Laurentin''s dress either. I seriously doubt that anyone in their right mind thought that concoction of Mabel''s was better than the wedding dress, but such an obvious fashion faux paux is certain to take some attention from the beautiful bride.

Yes, I took a picture (I did end up wearing Madam Mad Scientist though...I had a last minute thought that the Tsarina of Teaching wasn''t going to be flashy enough) but I can''t find the camera cord...I''m cleaning house today so hopefully I will find it!
5.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the link. The article was intersting to read.
As I said earlier, this could be a nice and feminine dress. Mybe someday she'll re-use the top part for a flattering gown? The trousers weren't bad by themselves. Much better than the thing she wore at Queen's Day this year, actually. Well, that's Mabel and I shouldn't be surprised, should I? BTW, I once read that she is a muse for Viktor & Rolf. Is that true?

About Laurentien - lets say that the dress looked better than at Frederik and Mary's wedding. Of course the hair was a little disaster again.

Ok, I'm being too off-topic now. Here's a photo of the two Princesses from last week's wedding:\

PS: MJ, good luck with the searching. Have a nice day!

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 5:17:47 PM
Thank you for the link. The article was intersting to read.

As I said earlier, this could be a nice and feminine dress. Mybe someday she''ll re-use the top part for a flattering gown? The trousers weren''t bad by themselves. Much better than the thing she wore at Queen''s Day this year, actually. Well, that''s Mabel and I shouldn''t be surprised, should I? BTW, I once read that she is a muse for Viktor & Rolf. Is that true?

Bobby

Yes, Viktor & Rolf desinged this outfit. I guess she is with them a lot becuase here she is at an AIDS dinner with them in Amsterdam.

After the seeing the pants on one of those guys, I personally would not trust him to design a bedsheet.

watermark.php.html.jpeg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
This was my second choice for an avatar.
3.gif

GW201H302.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 1:35:48 AM
Is Prince William engaged or not? I've read differing accounts.

I'm going to get blasted for this but I don't think his girlfriend compares to his mother at all.

I know. I'm a terrible person.
No, I agree, and I don't think Prince Albert of Monaco's fiance compares to his mother, Grace Kelly, although people say she emulates her. People also tried comparing Carolyn Bessette to her late MIL Jacklyn Kennedy Onassis, and she didn't compare. That's the problem with having a super famous beloved icon for a mother-in-law (dead or living).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 9:29:59 PM
3.gif
Very nice Danny!! Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 11:01:00 AM
Here''s a few more details on Charlene''s engagement ring from People magazine:

''Created by Parisian jewelry house Maison Repossi, the sparkler–the jeweler’s Téthys design–is a pear-shaped center diamond set in gray gold and embellished with round diamond brilliants. ''

I''m guessing the center stone is at least 3 carats.

Here''s a close up of the ring.
Didn''t Repossi also make the now infamous death ring for Princess Diana. It was commissioned by Dodi Fayed, and found in the car wreck.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 3:53:00 PM
Crown Princess Mary wearing moonstone and gold earrings at the opening of Copenhagen Fortifications at Trekroner, Copenhagen on June 25:
The lovely Mary!!!!
36.gif

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 9:07:32 AM
Update - here''s what I found of royalcourt.se: H.E. the Ambassador Matthew W. Barzun, USA, and Mrs Brooke Barzun

Hope you''re happy now!
Bobby
Thank you Bobby!
36.gif

Wish we would have had more representation!
7.gif

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 7:02:20 PM

Yes, Viktor & Rolf desinged this outfit. I guess she is with them a lot becuase here she is at an AIDS dinner with them in Amsterdam.

After the seeing the pants on one of those guys, I personally would not trust him to design a bedsheet.

LOL! I really laughed when I read your post. I wouldn't let them designe anything for me either. Do you know if they are a couple?
I for one prefer Princess Maxima's Nathan crations far more than Viktor & Rudolp's clothes for Princess Mabel.

At the above mentiones AIDS dinner she were some quite substantial diamond earrings and bracelet. The earrings Mabel also wore at the wedding of Victoria and Daniel. The earrings were first seen on Queen Juliana. Queen Beatrix and Princess Margaret have also wern them.

Earrings (courtesy Tamara, RJWMB):

SEEGER00237768.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Mabel also wore the small version of Queen Juliana''s Dutch East Indies bracelet:

20608531.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 10:00:02 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Didn''t Repossi also make the now infamous death ring for Princess Diana. It was commissioned by Dodi Fayed, and found in the car wreck.

You mean this ring? Yes, it''s also by Repossi. I''ve never read that it was found in the car.

princess-diana-ring+dodi.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 9:29:59 PM
3.gif

Very nice choice of avatar, Danny! I just hope you aren''t as cruel to women as Henry VIII was. BTW, have you watched the series (The Tudors)? I personaly found it quite intersting.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 7:35:05 AM

LOL! I really laughed when I read your post. I wouldn''t let them designe anything for me either. Do you know if they are a couple?

I for one prefer Princess Maxima''s Nathan crations far more than Viktor & Rudolp''s clothes for Princess Mabel.

At the above mentiones AIDS dinner she were some quite substantial diamond earrings and bracelet. The earrings Mabel also wore at the wedding of Victoria and Daniel. The earrings were first seen on Queen Juliana. Queen Beatrix and Princess Margaret have also wern them.

Earrings (courtesy Tamara, RJWMB):

And I couldn''t help but notice on this same picture of Mabel and Viktor & Rudolf that her shoes have what appear to be jewel encrusted

BOWS!!!!!! ARRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!! NOT THE BOWS AGAIN!!!!!! PLEASE ANYTHING BUT MORE BOWS!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
32.gif

*runs around the room frantcially trying to escape the nightmare of BOWS*

BTW...still looking for the camera cord...I''m thinking my prince consort left it at work....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 7:46:23 AM

Date: 6/26/2010 10:00:02 PM

You mean this ring? Yes, it''s also by Repossi. I''ve never read that it was found in the car.
Yes, that''s the ring, which I''m not a fan of. I think it''s design elements are a bit too busy and it doesn''t do much for the center ston. I read it was found in the car, but I could be wrong.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 11:04:16 AM

Yes, that''s the ring, which I''m not a fan of. I think it''s design elements are a bit too busy and it doesn''t do much for the center ston. I read it was found in the car, but I could be wrong.

I don''t like the ring either and I start shivering when I think that a man like Dodi (very rich) decided to prsent Diana with it. I think the ring doesn''t really reflect Lady Diana''s style.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results